By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, October 22nd, 2009 at 5:16 pm in Oakland Raiders.
It’s all over but the civil litigation.
John McGuinn, the attorney for Randy Hanson, told Comcast SportsNet a lawsuit was “on the horizon, but that there was no hurry to file it.
Coach Tom Cable was done talking to the media before he got the news he expected all along _ that no charges would be filed in the alleged assault involving Randy Hanson _ but could be in line to file one himself.
He’ll speak with the media following practice Friday.
– Hard to imagine the NFL having any recourse to discipline Cable considering the way the Napa D.A.’s office took apart Hanson’s version of the story.
– We’ll never know exactly what went on in the room where Hanson emerged with a broken jaw, but Cable took an unnecessary beating considering there was never a legitimate on the record source other than Hanson and his attorney who were doing the talking.
– My favorite comment from John McGuinn, the attorney for Hanson, when asked by a television reporter about his client’s status with the Raiders.
“I wish I knew in any definitive way,” McGuinn said. “I have made an attempt to contact the Raiders. I have not received anything in response.”
Don’t worry, John. They’ll get back to you.
– A fairly empty locker room Thursday, with most players at meetings and long gone form the locker room by the time JaMarcus Russell had finished his weekly session.
– The best news on the injury front is that right guard Cooper Carlisle practiced without limitations and should be good to go against the Jets, as well as Chaz Schilens making it through full practices on consecutive days.
As posted earlier, Russell said Schilens looked sharp. Cable said he won’t decide until Saturday how best to use Schilens, and which rookie receiver would be likely to get reduced snaps.
Those who did not practice Thursday included WR Nick Miller (shin), LG Robert Gallery (broken fibula), RB Darren McFadden (knee), LB Ricky Brown (ankle), T Cornell Green (calf) and TE Brandon Myers (ill). Myers was sent home with a stomach ailment, Cable said.
Defensive end Greg Ellis (knee) was limited, and could remain that way as a maintenance issue for some time.