Russell should be accountable

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, October 26th, 2009 at 1:44 pm in Oakland Raiders.

No sign of JaMarcus Russell. No surprise.

It’s not the way the Raiders operate, urging players to be available during open locker room sessions, and it’s never the way Russell has handled himself since he arrived as the first pick of the 2007 NFL draft.

More than just the media is watching Russell closely now. In the aftermath of Sunday’s 38-0 loss to the New York Jets, and a pointed critique from coach Tom Cable, Russell essentially shrugged his shoulders and said he had no idea what his coach was talking about.

He didn’t have time to checkdown, the first interception came when a defender crosses his face and the one in the end zone intended for Todd Watkins was giving the wide receiver a chance to make a play.

Russell didn’t sound as if wanted any of his decisions or plays back.

Here’s what a face of the franchise does after a bad game:

He plants himself in front of the locker and takes on all questions. He takes responsibility for the bad plays, analyzes what went wrong, and not just for the sake of the media.

Russell does it so his teammates don’t have to alibi for him. He does it so his teammates realize he’s taking it to heart.

A good P.R. staff points out the ancillary benefit of Russell taking on all comers on Monday. Once Russell deals with his struggles on the first day of the week, then the story is cycled through the news and morphs into something else as the week goes on.

They urge the quarterback to get it out of the way now, put it behind him, and focus on the next opponent.

Assuming Russell, as per his custom this season, doesn’t talk until Thursday, the quarterback issue essenially remains on the table through Friday’s papers, when his responses reach print.

More to come following Tom Cable’s press conference . . .

• Plunketthead

So who wants to talk about next weeks game?
    I like the matchup
    Raiders 27 dolts 24
    Breakout game!!

• Raiders4eve

You can’t even construct a sentence you toool! Go back to the 4th grade, fukking moron.
    ===============================
    Wow, how abt u construct an answer to what I said instead of worrying abt my sentence structure, this is a blog not university English class, how old r u? Why r u even here? It’s obvious u r just kid maybe 16 yrs old at best. Can u deny saying that Cable is a better coach than Gruden or that JR is a bonafida QB or that the Raiders are gonna ran up the table? My advice to u, MAN UP, say that u were influenced by your Castro street friend Priest, say that u going becoming straight and apologies to everyone for some of the worst things we read in here. Matter fact, just disappear in Castro that might be a better life 4 u.
    ______________________________________
    Damn dude, CAN U READ, why everything u say is full of bs?

• Mistabrown

Raiders4eve,
    Let me help you out here.

I recommend you dont talk 2 him, its better if you talk AT him. He will twist every thing you say, lie, and call you names like a 15 yr old. He will never admit to anything even if you copy & paste comments back at him.

• Raiders4eve

Breaking News

Oakglenn is a 16 year old kid who can’t man up about his bs comments.
    Ignore the kid until he apologizes and mans up about his mistakes.

• 24

This is hilarious. Almost everyone on this blog has disagreed with MR (MaddenRaider) over so many issues regarding this team and Al Davis. Now, in our 7th season, everyone sounds just like him. I have been one of the people who has agreed with MR in regards to Al Davis but I choose not to be as negative on a daily and very consistent basis as him because it just doesn’t change anything. So…when it all comes down to it…I just want to say, I told you so.

I am not happy with Al Davis for the crap he has produced. I will not protect his 1970′s and early 1980′s legacy that was 26 years ago. Its completely obvious that he does what he wants and theres nothing anybody can do about it even if it makes the most sense. Its his way or the highway. Has everyone finally figured out that we’re still running Al’s defense despite having different Defensive Coordinators? Did you finally figure it out? The world freaked out when we actually blitzed against the Eagles…why was it so shocking? Because its not the Al Davis way.

I was not for drafting DHB, McFadden or JR but I have supported them because they are Raiders but JR was obviously an Al Davis pick because of his arm. McFadden was a speed back who seemed more like a 3rd down back. DHB was obviously the fastest WR and Al Davis went for the attributes more than he did for their production or their intelligence and this is typical and disappointing. We had people like Eugene Monroe and Calvin Johnson at our disposal and considering how this team has played, theres not guarantee those guys would have been great but they were more complete players.

I really don’t have a clue what to do regarding the Raiders. Its better that they have been blacked out because I’d have a broken heart after each game if I had to watch them. This team isn’t worth a damn anymore. I want to see the games but at the same time, I just don’t care that much anymore. I’m just tired of hearing and reading how bad they are. They’re not even bad, they’re much much worse and I’m just tired of Al Davis and this whole persona. Its really freakin old. I’m a Raider for Life not an Al Davis for Life. I’m just biding my time until things are better. Maybe I’ll be old by then.

• Mistabrown

LOL!

# Plunketthead Says:
    October 26th, 2009 at 3:54 pm

So who wants to talk about next weeks game?
    I like the matchup
    Raiders 27 dolts 24
    Breakout game!!

• UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER

Ryan Says:
    October 26th, 2009 at 3:32 pm
    I blame the 316 yards rushing the Jets had on our punter.

If Lechler doesn’t pin the Jets back so many times, there is no way the Jets get more than 275 yards on the ground.

============

lmfao

lechler could really help a good team win a championship.

• Raiders4eve

Oakglenn Says:
    October 26th, 2009 at 3:52 pm
    Have you graduated 4th grade yet Raiders4eve?? Then there is no reason for me to talk to you. You wouldn’t understand it. It is beyond you. But thanks for asking. Dummass.
    ———————————————————-
    No dude, I never went to school, what means 4th grade? Does that mean JR is a bonafida QB or Cable is a better coach than Grudenor wait maybe it means the Raiders will ran the table and win 9 games or maybe hold on you are a real fan who lives 15 mins away from the stadium? Wow, I think even a second grader can clearly see that u have no clue in life and just speak straight from u know where lol.

• trojanfan

This team appeared on the verge of the proverbial “turning the corner” on opening night vs. the Chargers. The team is getting better, but not Jamarcus Russell. He is simply not pro football material. He is not even NFL Europe material. Even his agent knew he wasn’t a pro QB, that’s why they held out for the 31 million in GUARANTEED payments. Russell’s agent knew the team’s senile owner would take the bait. When the team finally accepts reality and places Russell on waivers, no one else will pick him up. Just another Ryan Leaf, Gary Beban, etc…. The Raiders need to get on their hands and knees and beg Jeff Garcia to return. Yes, it is mostly Russell that is the problem! And the senile, prideful owner that will not admit his mistake. Cut him Al, write it off on your taxes and move on! The rest of the team is making progress.

• http://RAIDERS Oakglenn

# Mistabrown Says:
    October 26th, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Raiders4eve,
    Let me help you out here.

================================================

• Mistabrown Says:
    September 10th, 2009 at 5:17 pm
    Who liked to bet on NFL?
    Tenn will hammer Pitt.
    rack me
    ========================================

Actually, Tennessee got hammered by Pitt. And Tennessee is winless. And you are calling others out for making predictions fistabrown?? What a hypocritical lying loser.

• DKnight007

Long Live the Revolution of the Oakland Raiders and the boycott and ousting of the dictator known as Al Davis!!

Viva La Revolucion cabrones!!

• Pingback: The RaiderCast | Russell should be accountable

• MR.NEAL

Someone please help me. I have been a Raider fan for 41 years and born, raised, & and still a resident of NYC.
    So you know I have suffered the last few weeks and my pocket has been lighter after the Jets game.
    What I don’t understand is why has it taken so long to bench Russell? I have given him the benefit of the doubt but I can’t anymore.
    We have a decent Defense but will never know because our Offense stinks. And too bad we don’t have enough talent on Defense to win like the Ravens in their Superbowl season.
    Questions?
    #1 Will someone convince Al Davis to get a GM.
    #2 Will we take stud O linemen for for first three picks in the 2010 NFL draft.
    #3 Did we truly not go after Ray Lewis during the last offseason?
    #4 Is it possible to trade even up Russell for Vince Young? Would we be better?
    Hopefully somebody and/or Jerry McDonald will reply with some honest intelligent answers!

• MR.NEAL

Oh by the way I agreed with Mcfadden, Huff, and Bey as #1s and did not know much about Russell except highlights from ESPN (we all dislike the Raiders cable station) so I honestly went along with Russell as our pick also. So far I have really been wrong on Russell and do feel he should ride the bench for a while at least against the Chargers.
    Also as a fan for all these years, I remember the old days when there was less discipline from the organization; the players disciplined themselves AND WON GAMES!
    I say if you want to be “cool” such as Russell wearing earrings during the game; that should be prohibited until some ticks go into the WIN column.
    We don’t have to be super discipline ala ex Denver coach {no sitting on helmets during the games} but something has to be done.
    Goodnight.

• Pingback: Raidertopia » Blog Archive » Accountability

• Pingback: Jerry McD: Russell should be accountable - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!

• turnerbrn

He’s never going to get better cause he not smart enough and doesn’t care enough to learn from His mistakes.The coach and owner enable Him as well, We as fans should have a ban of support till things change from the top to bottom. I hear from people all over they are done watching them till Al gives up the control over all decisions. Until that changes we will be the losers of the NFL.

• RaiderfanNY

My favorite Raider is Jeannette Thompson from “Behind the Shield” on Raiders.com.

She’s well-prepared, articulate, presents herself well and seems to be a fine human being.

Maybe she can take over for Al Davis.

I bet Jeannette could hire a GM and turn the team around. If Al likes her, it might be our only chance.

• Pingback: auzcorp beachfront village