Satele to keep job as starting center

News, notes and quotes from the Raiders’ bye week practice, open locker room and press briefing by coach Tom Cable:

— The Raiders expect to be at full strength on the offensive line when they resume play Nov. 15 against Kansas City. Right tackle Cornell Green will practice with no limits starting next week and said he will be ready to play.

Robert Gallery will be back at left guard after being out breaking his left fibula in Week 2.

When those men return, Chirs Morris, the starting center who moved to left guard when Gallery was hurt, will be a reserve player at center and guard with Samson Satele retaining the job as starting center.

Satele conceded catching on the the zone blocking system took awhile, especially after missing OTAs following shoulder surgery.

“Now, I got this offense down,” Satele said. “Now I can just go and run with it and get the starting job back, and it’s my job to lose I guess.”

“It’s more a techinique thing. I was still in my power reaches instead of zone reaches so once I got that down, Cable saw it, and I handled it pretty well, like you said. I didn’t take it in a negative way. It took me about four weeks into the season and I’m right back in it.”

Said Cable: “When you evaluate his play and Chris’ play when Chris was the center, it surpassed it. He’s been really a bright spot for us lately.”

— Cable said he expected Darren McFadden to play against Kansas City, but hadn’t thought ahead to if he would return as a starter or be utilized in combination with Justin Fargas, Michael Bush or both.

— The Raiders used the initial bye week practice to clean up problems in the first eight games.

“Every thing that we did in practice today and everything tomorrow will be directly related to what the negative issues have been thus for the first half,” Cable said. “So it is very much focusing on just us, and where we’ve had problems and where they need to get cleaned up and trying to get some cleared some things cleared up for certain individuals.”

In what might be a bigger upset than beating the Eagles, the Raiders managed to finish a practice related to all their negative issues in under two hours.

— Rookie wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, with five receptions in eight starts, continued to shrug off a lack of statistical production for what he believes is truly important.

“It’s just frustrating when we lose. Point blank, end of story,” Heyward-Bey said. “I didn’t come in thinking no crazy numbers or anything. I just want to help the team win. We’ve only won two so I’m not helping.”

Heyward-Bey, reviewing his own play through eight games, said his weekly evaluations have been good.

“I haven’t made the plays I want to make, but I’ve definitely been solid looking at my grades that come out of the game,” Heyward-Bey said. “I’ve been very solid. There’s always room for improvement with the whole receiving corps. We’ve been all right.”

— Speaking of grades, here was Cable’s response to grading how he’s done as head coach the first half of the season: “A C-plus, at best. I just feel like, obvious issues that are out of our control, I’m not an excuse guy, but I think not having enough people healthy on offense has really hindered us, and I think I have to take responsibility of being 2-6. So that’s the bottom line.”

— Wide receiver Chaz Schilens said he is currently at about the same point in his recovery from a broken metatarsal as he was the week of the Jets game before being forced to back off because of soreness.

“I just did a little too much and that’s really all that happened,” Schilens said. “So we just backed off, doing a little bit at a time, being as careful as I can be.”

Given that he’s already been the focus of one press release saying he’d be back against the Jets, Schilens didn’t want to look ahead to Nov. 15 and speculate.

“Right now I’m just taking it day to day, so if I wake up tomorrow and it doesn’t feel any worse, I know we’re good,” Schilens said.

— Raiders cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha said players amongst themselves had talked about the possibility of bringing in wide receiver Chris Chambers after he was cut from San Diego.

“The guys were like, `He could help us,’ as far as injuries and those sorts of things,” Asomugha said. “But I guess Kansas City got him.”

The Chiefs claimed Chambers before the Raiders had a chance. It’s doubtful the Raiders would have claimed Chambers anyway, given that his $2.4 million salary is part of the package. Cable indicated the Raiders probably wouldn’t have made a run at him even at a lesser price had he cleared waivers.

— Asomugha, the Raiders well-read cornerback who has used the words “apocryphal” and “sententious” in quotes while talking with reporters at various times, was stumped by “opprobrium,” the five-dollar word the Raiders dropped into a press release about allegations against coach Tom Cable.

Opprobrium is defined as “public disgrace or ill fame that follows from conduct considered grossly wrong or vicious.”

“Don’t know that one,” Asomugha said.

— Asomugha played police officer Ken Shaw in the season premiere of “Friday Night Lights” on DirecTV, a small role in which he brought a troubled teen to the football coach at East Dillon High School.

He said the whole process took about three hours and was shot early in September and that the shooting time was only 30 minutes.

“My sister is a big fan of it so she watches it all the time,” Asomugha said. “I never really got into it. I saw a few episodes. I love the movie so I was familiar with it from that standpoint.”

— Gallery was leaving practice to pick up his wife at the hospital after the birth of their daughter Hayden on Monday. It is the couple’s first child.

— Wide receiver Shaun Bodiford (5-foot-11, 186 pounds, Portland State) was added to the practice squad while Brandon Rodd was cut. Bodiford has had short stays with Washington and Green Bay.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• 4evaRaider

thankx 4 jumping all over that Crude Earl and what kind of dolls do you play with???

• Crude Earl

My Wife…we know what you play with!

• 4evaRaider

I play with your wife too

• 4evaRaider

we all do

• 4evaRaider

that lil hoe

• Crude Earl

In your dreams I’m sure you do….big imagination you have….like pretending you’re knowledgable about Football

• Crude Earl

Careful 4eva…you’re going to make your boy toy Raiderrockstar jealous

• 4evaRaider

he’s hitting too

• Trolls 35 Raiders 0

4evaRaider Says:
    November 5th, 2009 at 7:52 am
    we all do

4eva 😎 tell me it’s not true ❓ You guys aren’t hitting earl’s :mrgreen: old lady ❓ 👿 MAMMY YOKUM ❓

• 4evaRaider

Happy Troll I saw you leaving there too ya know =)

• Raiders4eve

Good Morning Nation

So I had a weird dream last night, for some reason I dreamt that Frye became a star player for the Raiders but we were playing the spread offense and wild cat with Bush not Mcfumble, I can’t remember who we played but we wore the white n silver jersy that we wore against the SD at home, man like that Jersey. Anyways do u guys think Frye could resurrect his career if given the chance, he could be the next Alex Smith.
    Man those jersies are only available with Seymour n Jabust. Wish they had one with Asmough number on it.

• No More Infield or Trolls

No More Infield or Trolls Says:
    November 4th, 2009 at 5:12 pm
    Let Ja-off-the-mark-us play from the shotgun like he did in college. He does not have the agility to drop back and see the field at the same time. Works for Brady…
    =======================================================
    And throw the ball to who? Route running on this team is atrocious. Plus the shotgun is terrible for running the football.

The coaches DID NOT get these kids ready to play. They ran a “Club Med” training camp and OTA session. Cable admits to not having them practice a play till they get it right. The team makes basic mental mistakes that should have been ironed out during Club MEd.

Because Davis is a players owner/coach…everything they do is probably on the softer side.

Moving the QB to shotgun isn’t going to fix this mess
    ###########################################

He can throw to Miller or Chaz. Or the RB’s. Or Higgins in the slot… What we are doing is clearly not working. He’ll have more time to see things develop.

• M Lonetree

with the anointed in training camp O-line starters for the first two games of this season the Oakland Raiders resembled a football team. Now that Satele has learned and earned his way into the blocking scheme, plus the returns of Gallery and Mop Handle, I’d guess we’ll be seeing the re-appearance of a football team in Oaktown.

• M Lonetree

Yes ladies and gentlemen it is all that simple. Good play from the O-line is all a team really needs to adequately perform on the football field on a weekly basis.

• 4evaRaider

yep a ball-control offence and a good defence and you can go a long way

• Raider Dell

Dakota

” Hells Bells”

Take care.

• Random Drug Tester

KoolKell Says:
    November 4th, 2009 at 6:06 pm
    Buckeyeraider,

This is the difference between the Giants & Raiders, ok?
    —————————-

Free Agency in the NFL started in 1989 with Plan B. It marked a new way of operation for NFL teams.

In the 20 Seasons since the implementation of Free Agency and the Modern Era, some teams have adjusted, some have not. The following is the number of winning seasons by team since 1989:

Pittsburg 15
    Atlanta 6
    New Orleans 6
    St Louis 5
    Detroit 5
    Cleveland 4
    Cincinnati 2
    Jacksonville’s been in the League since 1995, 7 winning seasons.
    Carolina been in the League since 1995, 4 winning seasons.
    Baltimore’s been in the League since 1996, 6 winning seasons.
    Houston’s been in the League since 2002, 0 winning seasons.

and then……

KoolKell Says:
    November 4th, 2009 at 8:16 pm

It’s all about Superbowls. Winning records are fluff and mean nothing. Just ask the current Dallas Cowboys and Jerry jones if that statment doesn’t ring true.
    ———————–

this is why you should post less.

• Dell

“Hells Bells”

• DMAC

So wassup with Nick Miller? JLH and Holland are too scary on the field to return punts and kickoffs! It’s hurting us on field position.

• Trolls 35 Raiders 0

4evaRaider Says:
    November 5th, 2009 at 8:58 am
    Happy Troll I saw you leaving there too ya know =)

That 💡 my friend 😎 is the key word!!! Leaving!!! I heard that someone 👿 was pulling a train 😉 But once I noticed that it was Mammy Yoakum 👿 I 😎 I wasn’t about to let the door hit my butzky on the way out 😉

LMAO
    Damn, that was even better than JLH and Murph’s bone head play.

maybe we can draft that fool. 2001 2nd round pick

• DMAC

1st round pick. Great open field tackle!

• new englandraider

hey dmac, how’s the knee bro?????

• new englandraider

you see the returner try to stiff arm him. like he knew it was coming. lmfao. perfect form on the takle though. way to wrap up

• DMAC

“It feels great. I got rid of those Nikes. I’m going back to my Addidas. I’m going to tear it up next Sunday. Have faith in me dude.”

• new englandraider

i want to wear my throwback afl dmac jersey dont let me down. watch out for those damned hash marks. they seem to tackle you rather easily. hey that was a semi pro league. maybe we can sign this guy as a free agent. we need someone on st’s that can tackle. good luck dmac, im rooting for you bro

• new englandraider

what are you gonna tear up dmac. not your mcl i hope

• McRaider5150

I think we need to take a page out od the 49er book. I thought this before Alex came back though.

The Raider need to bench Jruss. The need to strip him from his starting position. They need to let Grad or Fry start. They should also start next season with Jruss second string. Make him run the scout team. If he becomes consistant with running the scout team, maybe he can be a starter again. If he can’t run a scout team, get rid of him.

• DMAC

“You won’t be dissapointed. I talked to my big toe, and things are going to be alright.”

“LMAO”

• new englandraider

you had better have a long talk with your hands also. tell them to hold onto the fuggin ball. even if the hash marks trip you up. that being said, im in your corner. i got 33 different jerseys of yours. dont let me down

3 different jerseys not 33

• DMAC

“Relax Englanraider, things will be better coming from DMAC. That’s my word to the Raider Nation!”

• new englandraider

im behind you 100% dmac. i want nothing more for you to succeed. you should be on the field at practice man. yep we talkin bout practice. how silly is that man we talkin bout practice. PRACTICE?????

allen i gangsta

• Priesttj Says:
    November 5th, 2009 at 1:23 am

Listen, Talent alone doesn’t win games, talent playing well does. The talent on this team has not played well for a variety of reason stemming from youth and inexperience. To a lack of confidence that they can effectively win games. Confidence is everything and you haven’t done it until you do it.

When you have a very young and struggling QB playing with two young and struggling WR’s and a running game that’s been largely ineffective. What the hell do you expect? We have not ran the ball well or consistently ALL YEAR LONG!! the best friend of a young QB is a great running game, well ours has been basically nonexistent. Add to that a nonexistent passing game and you have 2 and 6. Give me a consistent running game and a go to WR and TE at least that is a start and you can biuld from that. But even our Oline has been very inconsistent.
    ————————–

Priesttj,

If you and Al know so much about winning, Why aren’t you doing it?

• hellsbells

Wonder if they will move Morris or Barnes into the RG spot. Coop just does not seem to get any push. Could help the run game.

• DMAC

Why is everyone getting on Coop? Don’t think Morris or Barnes will be any help. Maybe Mcquistan? (don’t know how to spell that fools name). Where the hell is he?

• new englandraider

i agree hellsbells. carlise sux.

• McRaider5150

The Raiders not having a running games falls squarely on the shoulders of our coaching staff. We should not start off throwing the ball on 1 and 2 down. We should have also installed the wildcat. You take the ball out of Jruss’ hands and you have a better shot at success.

• new englandraider

e z dmac. we just want to get people to get out in front and stand on the hash marks so they dont strip or tackle you

• DMAC

I don’t think anyone can run the wildcat effectively, except for the Dolphins.

• DMAC

“I’m tackling myself, but things will change.”

• new englandraider

i though we called it the wild hog

thought

• DMAC

Is this fk’n blog finally fixed?

• new englandraider

wow guys, i think the clocks are fixed. and none of that you’re posting too quickly bs

• DMAC

Let’s see if the chit is working