Rampant optimism for second half

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, November 11th, 2009 at 1:27 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Maybe it was a feeling borne of preparing to face struggling opponent or the optimism fueled by the return of some key injured players.

Whatever the reason, the outlook for the 2-6 Raiders and their game against the 1-7 Chiefs was sunny and optimistic from those players available in the open locker room session.

Johnson even took a page from the old “10-6 is still out there” book as authored by former Raiders running back LaMont Jordan, who would talk playoffs right up to the point where the Raiders lost their seventh game.

“You have to put the first eight games behind you because those games are done, you can’t get them back. You just have to look at the next eight games,” cornerback Chris Johnson said. “If you really want to look at it, you can go 8-0 and you might end up 10-6. There’s a possible way you can actually do it.”

Said middle linebacker Kirk Morrison: “We didn’t play well in the first half. We looked at ourselves, made some corrections and now it’s trying to go out there and put what we did in this bye week to use. I felt like there’s a lot of good football that we have left to play and we’ve got to go out and show everybody that what we did in the first half is really not what this football team is all about, getting back to the basics, just making sure we handle our business, and stay true to who we are.”

Gallery believes that consistency can bring something he’s yet to experience as a Raider _ a run of victories in the second half of the season.

“We just need to get back to doing things right and playing consistently at a high level. We’ve been up and down,” Gallery said. “If we do that, we’ll be able to win a lot of games in the second half.”

The bye week even altered the forecast of tight end Zach Miller, who of late has been blunt in his assessment of the failures of the Raiders passing game, donned his rose-colored glasses in projecting the kind of damage JaMarcus Russell could inflict upon the Chiefs and their 30th-ranked pass defense.

“He keeps progressing and we all have faith in our offense and JaMarcus and he can be that guy that can win football games for us and have huge days passing,” Miller said.

More to come later . . .

• 16yearsold16yearfan

hairybush dont hate

• LA to TheBay

Kool Aid is not strong enough for those remarks, I gotta know what they’re drinking/smoking.

• 16yearsold16yearfan

those bay trees

• Silver-n-Smac

# Richochet Says:
    November 11th, 2009 at 1:14 pm

“Cleveland-last week the OWNER spent two HOURS meeting with two reps from the Dawg Pound, who were organizing a massive boycott of Monday nights game, effectively having fans stay OUTSIDE the stadium until after kickoff..owner addressed the issues..and no boycott.”

******************************************************

COME ON MAN. . . .Richo – are you for real? The owner addressed the issues? What exactly were the issues – we want free hot dogs for every loss you compile?

The owner addressed the issues????? Uh – O.K. fans – uh, we’ll start winning immediately and drafting well because you’re demanding it.

Pleeeeeeease. I’ll say it again – NFL owners don’t give a rat’s ass what you or I want. Never have – never will.

And what exactly is an Al Davis / Raider game boycott supposed to achieve? You think you’re not gonna show up to games and Big Al is suddenly going to panic and hire a GM?

You think he’s gonna panic and draft differently?

Come on man – enter the real world.

I’m not standing up for Al’s many poor decisions over the past 20 years, but, whether or not you like it – unlike many other owners, his only concern is to win. And every move he makes is his idea of achieving that.

That doesn’t mean they’re the right moves, but, this whole boycott crap is just that – CRAP.

• 4evaRaider

KoolKell Says:
    November 11th, 2009 at 12:56 pm
    4evaRaider,

Maybe it’s time to come out of your barn, and learn how to live with others. This IS America you know.
    ***********************************************************

I dont understand this one KoolKell.Please explain,if you would

• jmeds

You have to keep playing and not throw in the towel. They have the right attitude.

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

Dude what the hell is this new word press thing.

Did anyone else get the user profile page? It said “Howdy Vegas Raider” in the corner, LOL

• BornInOakland

I’m a Raider fan of 35 years and I don’t want to hear a damn thing about the players attitudes right now. I want to see them stop talking (wasn’t it Seymour telling people Oakland is going to the playoffs two weeks ago?) and see them play like an NFL team. Even winning can come later but right now this is a pathetic group.

As for the above comment calling a boycott CRAP. No, it isn’t crap. Management of this team (Al) needs to know this team is a class A joke. The fans and the city deserve a team that is run first class from top to bottom and that is not what is happening. More empty seats will let Davis know he can’t pull this over on us anymore.

• M Lonetree

Good for the Silver and Black boys. Might as well be upbeat. An early Xmas present coming to town in the form of KC.
    What would be the point to dwell on the fact that all media, both local and national denegrate the team as often as possible. Lots of the people on this site as well could work for BSPN with all the spewing of negativism toward the Raiders.
    Screw it. As long as NFL corporate has not instructed the zebras to hand the game to Pioli it should be looked forward to as a victory before it happens. See it and then do it. Simple.

• 4evaRaider

Well said M Lonetree…

I just hope most can understand it…prolly not

• Roch R

Good on the players! I’ll I’m asking for is a 3 game winning streak. A 3 game winning streak would be the equivalent of the playoffs as far as I’m concerned.

This team has the potential, C’mon Raiders!

Just Win Baby.

• M Lonetree

Look kids, boycott whatever you want, the militaristic/industrial machine of the NFL will just keep rolling on with their TV revenues. BooHoo, my team lost a game.

speaking of which, a couple of winters ago when I was living in Montreal I read an article about a Welshman in a pub watching a rugby match against hated archrival England. The man declared to the bar patrons that “I’ll cut me balls off if Wales wins the game”.
    The Welsh did win and afterward the man walked outside the bar and then returned with a bloody mass of scrotum in his hand.
    Fanaticism is not defined as a sane proposition in the dictionary.

• Bobby Bushay

I love the optimism. I hope that they play with passion and urgency like we’ve seen ‘em do a couple of times this year. But going 8-0… who are they bring back from injury? Wiz & Kennedy on the OL, Tim Brown at WR, and Bo Jackson at RB? lol…

• M Lonetree

Bobby Bushay,

you got who you got and there ain’t no more. Suck it up and go to battle.

DHB to the rescue!

• kidseven

Randy Hanson is optimistic as well–at least we think he is. No one knows for sure since his jaw is still wired shut, but he did flash an enthusiastic thumbs up.

• http://CableBumaye 909RaiderLifer

To all the veterans out there, THANK YOU! for your sevice. Happy Veterans Day.

• M Lonetree

Rampant Raiders Rampage the Ramparts!

• LA to TheBay

M

Well said, as usual.

The NFL will roll on. If anything, other owners see teams like the Raiders as a guaranteed W. Pad the stats, make it that much easier to get to the playoffs where more dollars can be made.

Empty seats will not convince Al Davis.

If we’ve learned anything from Al Davis, its that he’ll put on a display of Al Davis Raider Football in front of a stadium with no rear ends in the seats.

I’ve been to several games at the LA coliseum where Al couldn’t get it half full (granted, its a big stadium).

Boycott the team and watch nothing happen except relocation.

• http://CableBumaye 909RaiderLifer

Raider Dell…

If you’re lurking about, thanks for your response yesterday on my question to you.

I had to bail right after I posted that, and missed your reply at the time.

• Silver-n-Smac

# BornInOakland Says:
    November 11th, 2009 at 2:00 pm

***********************************************

Born:

Listen. I appreciate the passion. I’ve been watching the Raiders for 31 years myself. I love this team. I actually have a lot of respect and admiration for Al Davis. I think he has more passion about the Raiders than most of us have about any single thing in our lives. Other than our family members, how many of us can say that we love something THAT much?

With that being said, he’s made a lot of poor decisions that have hurt our team. . . .HIS team.

My whole point is that despite any spectacular intentions fans may have by boycotting, nothing is going to come of it.

It’s not a situation like in Cleveland or Detroit where you’ve had perpetual losers for 30, 40 years.

We have an owner that WANTS to win. He SPENDS the money.

That makes all this much more complicated. So you boycotting is going to change absolutely nothing.

If the Raiders played in a completely empty stadium, Al is not going to spend more or care more about winning. He already does those things.

And if the stadium is empty, you truly believe THAT is what’s going to make him hire a GM to help him out?

He may hire a GM but it is NOT going to be because of any fan boycott.

If you know anything about Al Davis, he’s not going to submit to anyone or anything.

• Silver-n-Smac

You know. . . .I was just thinking today (yeah, it hurt):

If Al Davis is John Madden’s best friend, as Madden has stated numerous times, why doesn’t Madden publicly stand up for the organization from time to time?

Trust me – I’m not naive enough to realize that there isn’t THAT much to stand up for over the past 6 plus years, but, John was as much a RAIDER as there ever was.

So, it would be real refreshing to hear him bash some of the media when they go over-board (i.e. Tom Jackson bashing the Raiders on Monday Night Pre-Game WHEN THEY HAD THE WEEK OFF!!!!!!!!)

WTF???

• M Lonetree

Silver-N-Smac,

well presented.

• Silver-n-Smac

Lonetree,

Likewise.

• The Big Banana

# Bobby Bushay Says:
    November 11th, 2009 at 2:20 pm

—————————————————–
    That still wouldn’t do it as there would still be a MAJOR problem behind center.

• 4evaRaider

ilver-n-Smac Says:
    November 11th, 2009 at 2:38 pm
    You know. . . .I was just thinking today (yeah, it hurt):

WTF???
    ******************************************************

John Madden exudes class,imho

• Silver-n-Smac

Richocrap:

1. You really are stupid, aren’t you? First off, all the Browns owner did is bend over in order to put a band-aid on the ACTUAL issue which is their inability to WIN you dumb little boy.

Sure, his stadium didn’t end up empty, but, the fans gained NOTHING. The team will continue to lose, so before you try and get wise on me, get a freakin’ clue.

2. Yes, that’s right – Al doesn’t give a rat’s ass if you don’t show up to the game. He doesn’t. Period. And as I said, an empty stadium does nothing to Al. Al’s an old man, and he has plenty of money. Whether or not your sorry ass is at the stadium or not – Al could care less.

3. I hate to tell you fool, but half the owners in the NFL could care less if they actually win or lose. Contrary to Al Davis, most owners are in it for a profit. And you don’t need to win in the NFL to make a profit. Sports teams are NOT an investment until the moment you are ready to sell. You’re too stupid to understand that. That’s why a guy like Bidwell stays in the league for so long. It’s not because he was craving a SuperBowl, it’s because the team he once bought for peanuts is worth a hell of a lot more today.

4. I’m a season ticket holder you ignorant little fool. And I have been for a long time. So, contrary to you, I DO put my money where my mouth is and I LOVE being at Raider games. I did 10 years ago, and I do now.

Don’t try and outsmart me RichoCrap.

Go ahead and Boycott. Oh wait a minute, you’re never actually there are you? So there’s nothing for you to Boycott.

You dumb little child.

• Raider Dell

Thanks for the reply.

I will always reply to my drinking and grilling friend anytime.

Cheers, and hope all is well.

Almost three, another mtg.

Raider Nation keep your chin up!

• crister

so whose going to ask cable about him being a lame duck according to yahoo?

what, scurred cable will start taking swings at people?

• DKnight007

“Fans have gone to the Raiders and met with chief executive Amy Trask, whose job gets tougher by the day. Those fans often remain unsatisfied, though no less by the results of the meetings than the overall product.”

^^^^^^^
    Monte stated this in his article.

Now…who are these fans who have met with Trask??

Cause I want in those meetings! What is it gonna freakin take for the old man and Trask to realize the old stubborn man needs to hire a REAL GM/PERSONNEL man and a REAL Head Coach (Gruden) and let them make the football decisions, while the old man just sits and watches until he dies?

The people in leadership positions in this stupid “organization” are freakin atrocious. They act like they have been in the playoffs for the past 7 years instead of being an irrelevant crappy embarassment of a team!

Morons…..

• Richochet

# Silver-n-Smac Says:
    November 11th, 2009 at 2:32 pm

# BornInOakland Says:
    November 11th, 2009 at 2:00 pm

***********************************************

Born:

We have an owner that WANTS to win. He SPENDS the money.

He may hire a GM but it is NOT going to be because of any fan boycott.

====================================================
    So, AGAIN, you’re idea is to just DO NOTHING.

World has followers.

World has leaders.

Some watch others get involved.

Others step up and do something/anything, demanding better.

Congrats on making it clear that YOU are a lemming. That waits for someone to tell him what to do, and gladly does it. Doesn’t matter if it’s wrong or not, you just meekly go along, tail between legs, and accept it.

• M Lonetree

Wow, guess these evaluators have never been to Tonopah.

check out this link and see what you think.

personally the women of Nepal and Bhutan and Polynesia have IT for me.

• doriangray

now that cable knows hes goin 2 get fired. why dont he do wuteva he wants? i mean heck! star the lil white boy at qb!! u gonna get canned anyway!

• M Lonetree

With Ricochet as a wannabe leader who wishes to follow his sight into the realms? Wheeeee!!!!

Another human who believes he knows to do better than someone else. Criticizing others with no way himself to do any better. Those who cannot, teach. Those who cannot teach, criticize.

Offer up the plan O Bold Ricochet. Treading so unwarily where many do not fear to tread. Bank up the fires and torch the monsters of Alameda. Wow, what cohones you have. To stand upon the shoulders of giants. Giants like Shefter and TJ and Kitten.

Amazing.

Shyte

• 16yearsold16yearfan

Wow is everybody’s best game against the Raiders i was watching pti and shaun alexander had the 6th best game by a rb in history and that was 8 years ago when we were good

• Richochet

# 4evaRaider Says:
    November 11th, 2009 at 2:56 pm

ilver-n-Smac Says:
    November 11th, 2009 at 2:38 pm
    You know. . . .I was just thinking today (yeah, it hurt):

WTF???
    ******************************************************

John Madden exudes class,imho

================
    Madden stating Al Davis is his best friend is like Donald Trump stating ‘a very close friend of mine” to everyone he ever brings up..even people he’s met once.

Madden’s comment is the politically correct thing to say.
    It’s because Madden wisely defuses what the pundits are trying to pull out..which is how big a jerk Al is.

Everyone knows Al drove Madden from football.
    Everyone knows Al had Madden so stressed he was getting sick.
    Everyone knows that for a full THREE MONTHS, DURING MADDEN’S LAST YEAR with the Raiders, during the season, that Madden refused to talk to Davis.
    Everyone knows about Villipiano’s comments about how badly Al treated Madden and that “Madden deserved a lot better”
    Everyone knows about all the negative press out there regarding Al Davis and how he treats his coaches (chasing Flores away, where he ended up coaching in Seattle) (firing White on CHRISTMAS EVE, for no other reason than to be a total jerk) (firing Shanahan because he had a spine)(firing shell, twice, while dissing him)..

Madden avoided all that, knowing he was in the public eye.

FACT: Madden NEVER hangs out with Al Davis..as in ever.

Sound like a “best friend” to you?

Al Davis has NEVER been seen in public with John Madden..

Sound like a “best friend” to you?

Madden spends more time at the Niner practices and games than he does Raiders (has he been at more than one practice, and one game?)

Sound like they’re “best of buddies” to you?

Has that “best friend”, Al Davis, invite Madden up to his box for the home games? Don’t recall any camera shots…DO YOU?

Madden OFFERED HIS TIME TO THE LEAGUE, which Goodell quickly accepted..yet..nothing to the Raiders?

Sound like best friends…to you?

Or does it sound like Madden is just avoiding any controversy that seems to follow Al Davis, and everyone he’s every been involved in?

• doriangray

ricochet. kill the freakin super long a z z posts mane..

lil baby raider fans need hope to stay with the team.
    we have to think about the 2024 raiders ..

• Richochet

# M Lonetree Says:
    November 11th, 2009 at 3:19 pm

Amazing.

Shyte
    ==========================
    I notice that Smac made a babbling take..that you quickly jumped to state ‘Oh, good stuff man”

Then I torched it.

From you? Nothing.

Why doesn’t that surprise me?

I know, I know..you subscribe to the “I never make any decisions, that way I’m never wrong” philosophy.

Good for you.

World needs ditch diggers. Without the non-thinking masses, such as yourself? Who would do it?

See??? you feel better now, don’t you?

Good boy.

• Richochet

doriangray Says:
    November 11th, 2009 at 3:43 pm

ricochet. kill the freakin super long a z z posts mane..

lil baby raider fans need hope to stay with the team.
    we have to think about the 2024 raiders .
    ========
    Schedule it in shifts, if it will help.

I’m thinking about a audio version if you’re interested ;)

• M Lonetree

Ricochet,

you have never uttered an original thought. how does that feel?

• Roch R

Some good posts on here, but I’d like to make mention that a boycott and indirectly an action that represents the fans frustration, should not just be aimed at Al Davis, I’d like to suggest that there have been some pretty poor performances by the players. For what ever reason, time and again the players have outright quit on the field. You could pick any blow out loss, but hands down the worst IMO was the Atlanta game last year, but there is plenty to choose from.

Al has made mistakes, but as was well said in a post(s) above, Al spends the money, Al wants to win.

I have questioned at times if the players have wanted to win.

BUT, we’re past the midway point, we’re reasonably healthy again. Time to “reload” and put up on Sunday. It’s a cliche, but one game at a time. KC this Sunday, then Cincy, then Dallas. I said above, 3 in a row would be an amazing stride forward for this franchise, that’s all I want.

Every fan has a right to be frustrated, but we should have more targets than just Al.

• LA to TheBay

M = Mench.

• los raiders de don rober

The team thinks Russell could have HUGE passing games during the second half of the season. This huge games will have spectacular stats like 10 out of 20 for 125…I mean, breaking 50% completion percentage and putting numbers in the 120´s has got to be a huge game for Jamamamamamamarcus!

• LA to TheBay

Outro.

Be good.

• Richochet

# M Lonetree Says:
    November 11th, 2009 at 3:46 pm

Ricochet,

you have never uttered an original thought. how does that feel?
    ================
    lol..dude? Why make it this easy?
    See, original thoughts are what my posts are..my opinion..my beliefs, while informing you of your own less than adequate abilities.

You? You wait for others to speak, then jump in with the “Oh, good one” or..like now..some silly say nothing retort, hoping it covers up the fact that you’ve never been accused of thinking too much.

oh..wait..I get it.

I commented how your ignorant ass was incapable of helping out Smac, after I torched his silly reply that you propped?
    Now you feel just replying covers up the fact that I was right, that you are too dense to have jumped in to help out a post you “admired”?

Question is..do you feel as stupid as you look?
    Is that even possible?

• islandraider

Ok Al spends the money and wants to win. His way. Then he doesn’t win. But he still spends the money cause he wants to win. Trying to buy happiness? All that money he spends and can’t buy a winning season any more. Simple solution, like it or not. But first, no one wants to coach the Raiders cept for Cable. Can he win? I can’t answer that.
    Al, get Gruden back. Make him the highest paid coach ever. Leave him alone. Sit back and watch him put butts in the seats. Watch your money return. Watch the wins come in. I know that will never happen, and I know you would probably want to spend more money on players. But who’s going to manage them? Where’s the sanity. Come on Al, you can do it.

• 4evaRaider

M Lonetree…

Hey Bro those Stellas are great!!! You know whats really funny?????

Aas you can plainly see there are REALLY people who come in here and try and ACT like they are better than other people.If they say the redundant shmeg over and over,louder and louder,they some how walk away from this site like they really did something,something constructive.When in all actuality ANY THING they say dont mean sh!t because if they had an original idea that made sense we would have been waaaaaaaaaaay past these STOOOOOOOOPID statements that they make over and over and over again…I know you think that makes sense.These “people” must have screamed over and over and over again as children and never got ANYWHERE with the adults they were around then SOOOOOOOO…they keep doing it over and over and over again,ya know

• 24

So Jamarcus Russell “SHOULD” play well against the 30th ranked pass defense and the 1-7 Chiefs right? What happens if the guy looks as horrible as he has all season? If that happens, you can officially say we’re screwed. The Chiefs have got to be hungry and they’re going to probably get a 2nd win at some point…in reality, the Raiders are an easy opponent for them as well and adding Chris Chambers to their crew certainly helps them alot. With the Raiders, anything goes.

• 4evaRaider

M Lonetree Says:
    November 11th, 2009 at 3:46 pm
    Ricochet,

you have never uttered an original thought. how does that feel?
    ************************************************************

ATTENCION RAIDER NATION…THIS ONE IS UNBEATABLE…PERIOD

• Silver-n-Smac

Richocrap:

Madden has to say that Al Davis is his “best friend” in order to be politically correct? He has to go to that extreme? What are you – stupid?

Madden could choose one person in the world to introduce him into the Hall of Fame. Richocrap: Remind me who Madden CHOSE.

• 24

Islandraider – Its funny how Al Davis doesn’t put a lot of emphasis into coaches yet he somehow feels like he can coach this team better than anybody he hires despite the fact that he doesn’t value coaches as well? Talk about holding himself higher than his own beliefs right? If great players can get it done without great coaching then why does Al spend so much time meddling with the coaching to make it his way? I thought players won games, not coaches?