Tim Brown on Russell, Davis

Some comments from former Raiders wide receiver Tim Brown on an ESPN podcast with host Jeremy Green about quarterback JaMarcus Russell and owner Al Davis:

Is JaMarcus Russell the answer?

When they drafted this kid four years ago, three years ago, whatever it was, I didn’t think he was the answer then. I was asked my opinion unofficially by someone in the organization and I told them, after being at the LSU-Notre Dame game in the Sugar Bowl and watching this kid, I just didn’t think that he had what it took to come into the NFL and be productive right away.

Now if you give him three or years to learn, and get this game under his belt, yes, but he had to come in and play right away. He missed most of his rookie year, and played sparingly because of holding out, so I just don’t know. The best you’re going to get out of this kid is Daunte Culpepper and that’s nothing to shake your head at. Daunte was a pretty good quarterback in the league for awhile and is still holding on, trying to make some plays. But the flip side of this is you could get Akili Smith. And that’s the problem you have. If he’s not willing to work, and put in the time and effort to be the best, then it’s going to be very difficult.

Do they need a veteran quarterback along with him?

At this particular point, it’s going to be JaMarcus’s job. It’s his job. So you can’t think about the quarterback. But what you can think about is surrounding him with veteran players, and when you look at his surrounding cast, I think Antonio Fargas may be the oldest guy that he’s playing with, and that’s just not a good thing. When he comes off the field, they look at each other like, `What happened?’ Nobody can explain what just happened, and I think that is the biggest problem that he has is he finds out what the problem is on Monday morning.

Antonio Fargas would indeed be quite a bit older. He is Justin Fargas’ father _ the actor who played “Huggy Bear” in the television series “Starsky and Hutch.”

I even think he needs a veteran receiver on the field with him, someone who says, `Hey, man, this is what I saw. This guy is rolling up coverage, this guy is doing this’ on this play and that play. That’s the kind of interaction a quarterback needs on the field because when you’re learning stuff on the sideline or on Monday morning, it’s not going to do you any good.

Can Al Davis bring the Raiders back to respectability?

I think he can, man, but it’s just going to be impossible for him to do it by himself. Before, when Al was able to be on the field and have a presence, I mean, he had a presence. When he walked out there, everybody tied their shoes a little tighter and made sure, well, now he can’t do that. He needs to have someone to kind of do that kind of stuff for him. He can guide it, but he’s going to have someone to be his eyes and ears and feet while he can’t come down on the field any more.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• DMAC

Am I the only one who liked the cover 1 D on week 1? I think it should be used more often.

• 4evaRaider

4evaRaider Says:
    November 12th, 2009 at 5:34 am
    I agree Mav…

He needs a swift kick in the azz…He is a product of his generation,wants everything in the world but dont wanna work 4it,imo.A swift kick in the azz worked 4 my generation and I KNOW it would work in his
    ****************************************************

You know what NATION??? I apoligise 4 this post.Josh Freeman looks like some of his generation learned something from the 1 before his.I guess 4 some reason maaaaaan.

I guess only some paid attention

I shouldnt generalazationize a generation =)

• Richochet

Don’t delay, Raider fans.
    Need to sell out by 1:00.

You remember, don’t you?
    “Die hard fans”?
    “Most passionate fans in the NFL”?
    “Support the team, won or lose”?

Oh wait.

That’s the team across the bay.

Oh right, Raider fan..bandwagon, on the fence, every excuse in the book why they DON’T support the team.

Got it.

• DMAC

Who the Santa Clara Whiners?

• 4evaRaider

Allow Me…

Richochet…As members of the ONLY NATION…THE RAIDER NATION,we care about each-others lives in the best of seasons,in the worst of seasons.If a couple of posters havnt seen or conversed in a while finally meet up in here ,as they have from time 2 time,we say GREAT and gladly give up the floor so they can converse.Others read on happy of the scene unfolding in front of them.You see we’re happy (The RAIDER NATION)that someone is hooking up and feeling good about it!!!Like a family,a BIG RAIDER NATION FAMILY.Which you will never understand because you will NEVER be a part of The RAIDER NATION.You are a RAIDER NATION FAMILY HATER.You attack other people like you are better than them,us.You should be happy this is a place where many feel at home 2 talk about the Raiders and things in their lives that are important to them,so that makes it important 2 you…Like a BIG RAIDER NATION FAMILY…WHICH YOU WILL NEVER BE PART OF =)

• Richochet

Niners have sold out 200 PLUS games in a row.

Haven’t been to the Super Bowl in over a decade, but..they still sell out.

Raiders? DIDN’T EVEN SELL OUT DURING THEIR 2002 SEASON.

Same demographic area, yet such a disparity of fan support.

Almost embarrassing.

Well, for Raider fans, that is.

• Richochet

# 4evaRaider Says:
    November 12th, 2009 at 12:03 pm

Allow Me…

=================
    WRONG LOSER..it’s a football blog. OAKLAND RAIDER football blog, LOSER.
    What YOU mean to say is “Yes, I’m a loser. I have nothing except hanging out online, ALL DAY, discussing stupid crap that has nothing to do with football.”

Don’t try and justify you being on here every day, ALL DAY LONG, as it being a “family”.

Like I said, most sign on to discuss/argue/debate football, Raiders,..something on that line.
    You?

You’re a loser.

Dude, you sit here AND REFRESH YOUR BROWSER A THOUSAND TIMES EVERY DAY..and when someone/anyone posts, you get all giddy and excited, and rush to say “Oh, HI…HI THERE..how are you? Hiiiiiiiiiii…where you been?”

You’re sad, dude..

Oh..and that “family”? LMFAO..Raider fans are the WORST FANS IN THE NFL, and that’s a fact.

No other team has more blacked out games in the last 15 years as the Raiders. Real fans support their team..something you NEVER do.

You’re a joke, lol..nothing more.

• 4evaRaider

Your the loser for considering it ONLY a football blog.Close minded you are.And it shows in everything you write.It must be soo dreary and colorless in your world.

• 4evaRaider

Richochet…Out of ALL your long winded garbage you spew here,it took M Lonetree only 11 words to size up your worth
    ************************************************************

4evaRaider Says:
    November 11th, 2009 at 4:30 pm
    4evaRaider Says:
    November 11th, 2009 at 4:29 pm
    Not yet M…But once again 4 the enjoyment of all the NATION 4ever more
    ***********************************************************M Lonetree Says:
    November 11th, 2009 at 3:46 pm
    Ricochet,

you have never uttered an original thought. how does that feel?

• Richochet

# 4evaRaider Says:
    November 12th, 2009 at 4:05 am

Good Morning NATION!!!
    ===========================

# 4evaRaider Says:
    November 12th, 2009 at 7:48 am

Roxy is ok Dakota…just pulled ligaments!!!.I know you was wprried THANK-YOU =)
    ===================

# 4evaRaider Says:
    November 12th, 2009 at 7:41 am

OK Roxy is good so so am I !!!!!

Have a nice meal NEILB!!!

=======================
    4evaRaider Says:
    November 12th, 2009 at 6:16 am

Well time 2 take my pit-bull Roxy 2 the vet BBL NATION.Have a wonderfull day NATION as I skip along~~~
    =========

===========================================
    Please tell me you’re a woman.

You have to be.

Just admit it, and I’ll understand.

See, that’s what women do. “Hi..how’s your morning?” “take care all, going to go shopping now” “Oh, I’m in such a tizzy today”

You have to be a woman.

Oh..and ma’am? Getting here at 4 AM Cali time? 7 am east coast time? YOU ACTUALLY WAKE UP AND RUSH TO THIS BOARD AT 7 AM?
    Hey, if you were at work, be one thing..but we know you’re not.
    So, what’s the story, lady?

• 4evaRaider

The actions of Jhill ALONE repudiate your words of insolence Richochet

• 16yearsold16yearfan

i just found something that might help you guys on a bad raider day like most sundays have turned into i hope you find this as funny as i did
    he kind of reminds me of richochet and dude

• Richochet

# 4evaRaider Says:
    November 12th, 2009 at 12:16 pm

************************************************************

4evaRaider Says:
    November 11th, 2009 at 4:30 pm
    4evaRaider Says:
    November 11th, 2009 at 4:29 pm
    Not yet M…But once again 4 the enjoyment of all the NATION 4ever more
    ***********************************************************M Lonetree Says:
    November 11th, 2009 at 3:46 pm
    Ricochet,

you have never uttered an original thought. how does that feel?

=================================
    What you mean is Smac made some sorry take directed at me.
    Lonetree propped it as being utterly fantastic.
    I then shredded Smac’s comment, and invited Lonetree to borrow someone’s balls, and help smac out..actually dared him to step up and back up the comments.

Instead he tucked tail, whimpered off, hoping a silly reply would avoid him being pointed out as being inept.

It didn’t.

Thanks for bringing him up, lol..I’m sure he appreciates the setup.
    Now, you and I both know you, being a woman, don’t have any balls, but that’s no excuse for being slow, and needy.

Still LMFAO at you with the “you’re so closed minded to think this is just a football blog. I have a good mind to hit you with my purse”

• 4evaRaider

Say what you will I have a good time here I dont need 2 explain anything 2 you.My life’s pretty good Our season can still be savaged so I’m hopefull 4 that.You should do yourself a favor Richochet and go in the next room and CHOKE!!!

• 4evaRaider

*saLvaged sorry

• Richochet

# 4evaRaider Says:
    November 12th, 2009 at 12:23 pm

The actions of Jhill ALONE repudiate your words of insolence Richochet

==================
    jhill? JHILL?? LMFAO..you MORON..he bailed out MONTHS AGO.

Hell, ask him, you dumbass. The guy was toast after his first foray against me, and has been ever since.
    He’s reduced to ‘I don’t want to play”..I.E. HE WISELY CHOOSES TO SHUT THE HELL UP, CONSIDERING HOW HE’S RECENTLY FARED.

Ok..tell you what..next time his pathetic ass shows?
    Dare him to take me on.

Well, peanut? Come on, lol..don’t go get all moody on me..my challenge is I’ll torch his sorryass regarding the Raiders..the history, Al Davis, Russell..you name it, pumpkin.

Here’s MY GUARANTEE..first that jhill will bail like a slapped on little child..and secondly, you’ll continue to prove to one and all that you dropped out of school in the 4th grade. (you’re not embarrassed spelling like an illiterate?)

Don’t forget the challege..HEY..you have my permission to help him, if that will make him feel better..

Yeah, I know..I also laughed out loud at that.

• DMAC

Why waste your time with this whiner?

• Richochet

# 4evaRaider Says:
    November 12th, 2009 at 12:28 pm

=====================
    Your life is “pretty good”??? WTF???

You wake up and sign right on to this board..AND SIT AND STARE AT YOUR SCREEN ALL DAY…”refresh”..”refresh”..”refresh…OH..THERE’S A POSTER..OH GOODY”…”refresh”…and you do this for 8-10 hours AT A TIME..

Shoot me now, because that’s about as sorry as it gets.

• Richochet

# DMAC Says:
    November 12th, 2009 at 12:32 pm

Why waste your time with this whiner?
    —————–
    LMFAO..look at you.
    You’re saying nothing.
    You’re waiting to discuss shopping trips…while saying nothing.

Geez…

• r8rpaver

Hay piece-o-chet
    Get back under what ever rock the came out from under…slug

• Richochet

4eva??

Jhill?

Don’t forget…I won’t let you.

Oh..what? Backing out?

Yeah…small wonder.

Now get back to your quilting bee.

• Richochet

# r8rpaver Says:
    November 12th, 2009 at 12:35 pm

Hay piece-o-chet
    Get back under what ever rock the came out from under…slug
    ====================
    Well looky here..another worm.

Says nothing.

Just watches.

Wonders if you should engage..

Yet doesn’t.

Meekly sticks out his toe..finds water cold..and rushes back to safety..while begging the big meany stops making him soil himself.

Hey, I know..maybe YOU can help Smac..trust me, he needs it.

Oh wait. You’re already in the shallow end of the pool, aren’t you?

Safer there.

• 4evaRaider

Look here Richochet…

Jhill went out of his way to help a brother out,someone he had NEVER met before,someone he had only conversed with here. And you say this is ONLY a FOOTBALL BLOG where we ONLY come 2 talk Raiders football.And yet still then you go on 2 say Raider fans blah blah worst blah blah and all these cool things go on around you and you DONT EVEN KNOW IT.But it all makes sence b/c 2 us its waaaaaay more than only a Raider Blog and you come here and you aint even a fan the 9er fans kick you out???Must have.So carry on because you are already WAAAY 2 FAR GONE

• 4evaRaider

Thank-You…Thank-You… You guys are 2 kind lmao

• 4evaRaider

And always remember this Richochet…I’m a STONER

• LA to TheBay

Richochet Says:

Someone else’s post.
    ===========================================
    Reply to their post

Questions their intelligence.

Snide remark.
    ============================================
    Reply to Richochet’s reply
    (which becomes so muddled that he must then label who is who)

Poster: xyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyz

Richochet: xyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyz

Poster: xyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyz

Richochet: xyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyz

Poster: xyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyz

Richochet: xyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyz

Poster: xyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyz

Richochet: xyzxyzxyzxyzxyzxyz

Questions their intelligence.

Snide remark.

Emoticon.

• 4evaRaider

well Richochet…Once again I thank you 4 the pleasure of being such a punching bag =) Speaking of pumpkins…thats exactly what your head looks like now after I had my “WAY” with it again.Soo lucky 4 you I am going out on a 10 or 20 mile bike ride as my property abutts a state preserve.If you are up 2 it I will beat you SILLY AGAIN ceau

• JB

Tim Brown – pimping for a job again. Not much else in this segment. SSDD.

• R8RFAN09

It’s time for the fans to have their voices heard:

• Pingback: piano price