Four straight blackouts

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, November 12th, 2009 at 3:24 pm in Oakland Raiders.

News and notes from the coach Tom Cable’s post-practice press briefing Thursday:

– To no one’s surprise, the Raiders failed to sell out Sunday’s game against the Chiefs and will be blacked out locally for the fourth consecutive time.

With Cincinnati, Washington and Baltimore remaining on the home schedule, it appears likely, barring a remarkable reversal of fortune, that the Raiders will finish the season with seven consecutive regular-season blackouts after having only six in the three previous seasons combined.

– Defensive end Greg Ellis did not practice again after bye week arthroscopic surgery on a knee and shoulder, but Cable said Friday could be a different story.

“Actually, they said there’s a pretty good chance of it so we’ll see (Friday) morning,’’ Cable said.

The Raiders aren’t likely to push Ellis given how well Matt Shaughnessy played against the Chargers the week before the bye.

“You’d like to have him at full speed but if he’s not able to go we’re OK,’’ Cable said. “If he can go but if it’s limited (snaps) we’re OK because of our depth.’’

– For the second straight day, the Raiders brought in a left-footed punter to simulate the Chiefs’ Dustin Colquitt. This time it was Glenn Pakulak, who, like Ricky Schmitt on Wednesday, has spent time on the Raiders roster either on the practice squad or during training camp.

– Cable, with his tongue either firmly in his cheek or running a serious fever, was asked his hopes for quarterback JaMarcus Russell in the second half of the season.

“Throw 20 touchdowns and not turn it over any more and be about 66 to 67 percent completion (percentage),’’ Cable said. “I think that’d be pretty good.’’

Through eight games, Russell has two touchdown passes, 14 turnovers (nine interceptions, five lost fumbles) and has completed 48.4 percent of his passes.

At the midway point of the season, with all teams having played eight or nine games, Drew Brees of New Orleans and Matt Schaub of Houston lead the NFL with 17 touchdown passes.

– Punter Shane Lechler, leading the NFL with 52.3 yards per punt, has his eyes on Sammy Baugh’s 59-year-old NFL record of 51.4 yards set in 1940. Lechler looked up the record not long after the Raiders made him a fifth-round draft pick in 2000 and has been chasing it ever since.

He never met Baugh, a Hall of Fame quarterback and safety, who, like himself, grew up in Texas. Baugh died last Dec. 17 at age 94.

“I know he owned a big ranch out by Dallas. He was a guy that I’d have love to have met and I wish I would have taken time to somehow put that together but it didn’t work out,’’ Lechler said. “It’s funny, you look back at those records and you see the numbers and you’re like, ‘Were their calculations right then? You guys serious? How close were you guys watching this because these numbers are amazing.’ ’’

Lechler has games remaining in Pittsburgh (Dec. 6), Denver (Dec. 20) and Cleveland (Dec. 27) that could potentially be cold-weather games that could drag down his average.

In Lechler’s favor so far is he’s had a wide expanse in front of him virtually every time he’s called upon to kick with the Raiders ranked No. 32 in offense.

“Unfortunately, our situation helps him be the best in in pro football,’’ Cable said. “You’d like him not to have that many opportunities. He’s really had something to do with every game we’ve been in and the two we’ve won.’’

• neilb

I think the potatoes could take Cable.

• neilb

That time again……

later.

• hwnrdr

Morning Neilb…LOL…had me wondering this morning. Friday the 13th is one of favorite days! Thanks for clearing that up!

• Trolls 35 Raiders 0

I guess :?: the monitor :evil: won’t let me say anything bad about bhp :lol:

• Mistabrown

The only other person with an equal or higher level of denial is priesttj.

RaiderTW Says:
    November 13th, 2009 at 5:36 am
    I haven’t seen anyone in denial as much as Russel is about how bad a job he’s been doing since GWB!

Redneckalaskadakotaphobia: The fear that Sarah Palin wins in 2012 by one vote from some clown in the Black Hills…

Paubynumkupchakaphobia: The fear that Bynum and Gasol are injured ending the season and Mitch brings in Chuck Nevitt for the playoff run.

• jhill

We don’t need Nevitt …

DJ MBenga can get it done!

• jhill

So chances are we see DMac and Chaz at WR this weekend, so I think we see things look at lot better on offense. Gallery and Cornbread coming back should help out the running game. Fargas might actually break 80 yds, lol!

Raiders 5 KC 2

• jhill

This was absolutely the funniest shyt in the world to me…..

Richochet Says:
    November 12th, 2009 at 12:32 pm

# 4evaRaider Says:
    November 12th, 2009 at 12:23 pm

The actions of Jhill ALONE repudiate your words of insolence Richochet

==================
    jhill? JHILL?? LMFAO..you MORON..he bailed out MONTHS AGO.

Hell, ask him, you dumbass. The guy was toast after his first foray against me, and has been ever since.
    He’s reduced to ‘I don’t want to play”..I.E. HE WISELY CHOOSES TO SHUT THE HELL UP, CONSIDERING HOW HE’S RECENTLY FARED.

Ok..tell you what..next time his pathetic ass shows?
    Dare him to take me on.

Well, peanut? Come on, lol..don’t go get all moody on me..my challenge is I’ll torch his sorryass regarding the Raiders..the history, Al Davis, Russell..you name it, pumpkin.

Here’s MY GUARANTEE..first that jhill will bail like a slapped on little child..and secondly, you’ll continue to prove to one and all that you dropped out of school in the 4th grade. (you’re not embarrassed spelling like an illiterate?)

Don’t forget the challege..HEY..you have my permission to help him, if that will make him feel better..

Yeah, I know..I also laughed out loud at that.

——————————————————

Richochet Says:
    November 12th, 2009 at 12:36 pm
    4eva??

Jhill?

Don’t forget…I won’t let you.

Oh..what? Backing out?

Yeah…small wonder.

Now get back to your quilting bee.

• The Big Banana

So when will JaFatBoy start coming through for us? Mister “I played pretty good” or “I could have done better…I guess”. What a schmuck!

• Trolls 35 Raiders 0

Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    November 13th, 2009 at 8:31 am
    OK, if BHP is a “pri3st” in his metphorical world, does that mean Oakglenn and Bri3n are mol3sted altar boys?

On another post he :mrgreen: all but admitted to being a pedo file :evil: while in the Philipines :-(

• DMAC

Morning Nation!

• DMAC

Jon Marshall please run some more cover 1 Defense! FK what uncle Al has to say!

• HairyBush

My latest favorite Jamarcus quote- “but now it’s a thing of spreading the ball around, trying to get everyone involved, so that we can become MORE DEADLY”

I love it, “so that we can become more deadly” lol really!?!?!?

Don’t you have to “deadly” first before you can become “more deadly”?

Just sayin

• DMAC

Jadeadly!
    LMAO

• HairyBush

Why am I confused as to why Nnamdi does not shadow the opposing teams best receiver? It’s doesn’t break the rules as far as the defensive philosopy of man to man coverage?

-I use the term “defensive philosophy” loosely

-one would also say the Raiders lack any real defensive philosophy, as far as the modern era is concerned

• HairyBush

Dmac, just when I thought we were out of new Jamarcus names, out comes Jadeadly-to funny!!

• HairyBush

post 167-*it not it’s oops

• Richochet

See, Jhill? Now you disappointed 4eva. He was so hoping you would actually show up, and put me in my place.
    Instead?
    You proved my point, lol.

What did I tell you, 4EVA?
    Jhill has been toast since the beginning.. You didn’t really expect that to change, did you?
    =======================================
    # jhill Says:
    November 13th, 2009 at 9:12 am

This was absolutely the funniest shyt in the world to me…..

Richochet Says:
    November 12th, 2009 at 12:32 pm

# 4evaRaider Says:
    November 12th, 2009 at 12:23 pm

The actions of Jhill ALONE repudiate your words of insolence Richochet

==================
    jhill? JHILL?? LMFAO..you MORON..he bailed out MONTHS AGO.

Ok..tell you what..next time his pathetic ass shows?
    Dare him to take me on.

Yeah, I know..I also laughed out loud at that.

——————————————————

Richochet Says:
    November 12th, 2009 at 12:36 pm
    4eva??

Jhill?

Don’t forget…I won’t let you.

Oh..what? Backing out?

Yeah…small wonder.

Now get back to your quilting bee.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    November 13th, 2009 at 2:12 am
    How many more years do we have to have a losing record for you to remotely consider the possibility of Al being to blame, Priest? This is our 7th straight year, for score.
    __________________________

At least until December 21, 2012 I am sure.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    November 13th, 2009 at 8:27 am
    __________________________

Don’t worry, if it comes down to Palin or Obama, I abstain.

• islandraider

HairyBush Says:
    November 13th, 2009 at 9:39 am

I love it, “so that we can become more deadly” lol really!?!?!?

Don’t you have to “deadly” first before you can become “more deadly”?

Just sayin
    ======================================================

What JaMarcuss really means ‘more deadly’ as in Zach Miller may still be alive. Deadly as the o-line is already dead along with the wr’s, so the remaining few should be ‘more deadly’ by the time he’s thru with them. You’ve got to read between the lines.

***

at this point, i’d be surprised if Russell threw 10 TD passes and only turned the ball over 7 times

• Richochet

I will give some of you credit.
    Team is at it’s lowest point, maybe in decades, yet many still show up to support/debate/whine/complain.. take your pick.

Then there are the others.
    Those that couldn’t shut up after a win, or who babbled non-stop during preseason.
    Now? They’ve retreated.
    I.E. NO BALLS.

OakDorkGlennY? Guy lived here. Now his sorry butt is where it’s safe, in hiding.

RaiderDogg? babbling like a hyper little child when it’s safe. Now? An occasional “how’s your shopping doing, 4eva?”

Briieen the dork? He was getting slapped around so much they named a Pinata after him..he made SURE he got banned. Went out of his way..so he can tuck tail like a little coward, and have an excuse why he doesn’t step up. (albeit it now he’ll briefly show, new name, and MAKE SURE he gets that one banned as well)

Silver N Smac? from acts of bravado to fetal position, crying NO MAS, NO MAS.

Florida Pete? Couldn’t shut up to couldn’t show up.

HayesDaze? From “I love Al” to “who’s Al? And why are you talking to me?”

Oaklifer? from “raider fan for life” to “raider fan when they win…other than that, I’m busy”

LA to thebay? Obviously hit a fog bank somewhere, and decided to pull over, and proceed once again when it’s safe.

jpill-went from defending all of his words, to massive amnesia and immediate “oh, uh..no..don’t want to play anymore. taking my dolly and going home”

preesttj- actually he’s always been on crash and burn. So desperate to want everyone to believe he’s “in the know” except keeps proving he’s just a mouse..just now..he shows oh so briefly, where you can actually almost see him tearing up as he desperately attempts to defend Al, then goes off and pouts “I can get you tickets..no..really, I can. Uh, well, maybe. No I can. Oh, I can’t. But you still believe me, right?..RIGHT?? *sniff*”

ANYONE can talk smack when things are safe, and undecided. You find out immediately who has balls, and who’s a fake ass when things go south.

Actually, no surprises on the above list.

somebody needs to tell JaMarcus that Popeye’s Chicken is “more deadly” than the Chiefs defense…

• Richochet

Wow.
    With pretty much everyone back, this creates a quandary.

You have those whiney little excuse makers, who’s reply to everything is “so and so is out. Russell will do much better when this guy, that guy, and the other, show up.”

Well, this is it, ladies.

Of course, it is KC, so you excuse makers have to feel relief in that..but man..if Russell doesn’t just shine like a new penny against a really weak KC team, with ALL OF HIS “WEAPONS” BACK???

What, oh what will the excuses be then?

recipe for success against the chefs

run, run, run, punt or fg

take the ball out of Russell’s hands. If Al is forcing Cable to roll with ButterBall, eliminate mistakes by essentially taking him out of the game. let me see a reverse or a HB option pass. win the time of possession and field position game. don’t turn the ball over. keep the defense fresh

McFadden, Bush & Fargas can have 20 carries each for all I care. Cornell Green & Robert Gallery have returned and they are both solid run blockers. wear down thier defense. punch them in the mouth.

we haven’t swept KC since 2001, with Rich Gannon at QB.

they have beat us 7 times straight in Oakland.

If Russell has more than 12 pass attempts, we will lose. somebody write that down and hold me to it

• HairyBush

Dakota, on December 21 2012, the whole NFL will vaporize along with all players/coaches and owners, EXCEPT Al Davis who will be hiding in his underground lair. Even worse he will rise and rebuild the Raiders the EXACT way he always has. Then in a weird twist he makes himself the commish of the “new NFL” where all you are allowed to do is play man to man defense and throw the ball down the field. All this being done as part of his master plan to torment the fans. Man he’s sick. I couldn’t even fathom coming up with a diabolical plan like that.-sheesh

p.s. that’s why in the mean time we are watching the product that we are currently seeing on the field every Sunday. Al’s just messing with us, he wants us to experience the ultimate low so when 2012 comes it will taste ever so delectable. Don’t you get it? were almost there, were right around the corner, we can see the top of the mountain. Good ole Al has a plan afterall! lol

if Tom Cable is willing to bring in Glenn Pakulak & Ricky Schmitt for a “tryout” to help teach Higgins how to field punts from a left footed punter, why can’t he bring in the intern Danny Southwick to teach JaWalrus how to throw an accurate pass ???

oh, nevermind. he’s not willing to put the work in. While other people are trying to teach him how to perfect his game, he’s sitting there thinking about how many tacos he can fit into his mouth at one time.

• HairyBush

Let’s play the over/under game…Jamarcus can fit 5 soft taco supremes in his mouth at once.

-I’ll take the over and raise you a chalupa

• LA to TheBay

Ricky?

What are you talking about?

I’m going nowhere.

I’m here usually during work hours and when the workload permits.

You, on the other hand, go to some other perverse extreme.

You should be paying Jerry rent.

• Silver-n-Smac

Richocrap:

See, unlike you, I actually have a life outside of this blog.

But, when I do have the opportunity to visit this kingdom, I enjoy shooting the breeze with fellow Raider freaks like me.

But I cherish nothing more than to respond to your inept excuse for analysis.

So, let’s get something straight:

Whether the Raiders go 0-16 or 16-0, my enthusiasm for watching Raider ball never wavers.

So, don’t try the whole “OK, now that you Ladies have a healthy team, no more excuses” crap on me.

That’s not gonna fly. Not now. Not ever.

There are no excuses when you suck. We’re not the only team with injuries. Have they hurt the team, and Jamarcus in particular? Hell yeah. If you don’t acknowledge that his development as a young QB has been hindered by a team playing 2 rookie receivers for only the 2nd time in the last 30 years in the NFL, then you really are naive.

But, with all that being said – the record is what it is. Period. The Patriots won last year with a QB that hadn’t even started in college.

So, there are no excuses for the Raiders losing to the Jets 38-0 at home.

Nor there are any excuses for your existence.

• LA to TheBay

I’ve been saying the whole time that Chaz will help Russell, although if the savior of your pass offense is a second year player with 15 career catches and an injury in training camp in a non contact drill? Not in good shape.

It will help a bit, but not much.

The offense will move as Russell moves, which is to say very slow through 8 games in 09.

I’m glad it seems Cable realizes he needs to get the ball in a receivers hands quickly and have him make a play.

Running the ball will help a lot.

But it ultimately comes down to Russell.

• DMAC

I’m through with Johnny Lee Scary. Find someone who isn’t scared of contact to return punts. Same thing goes for Holland. Their killing us in field position.

• LA to TheBay

And yes, having four starters return to the field will certainly help the offense, especially when one is your best offensive lineman and the other (according to your buddy Jerry and anyone else who saw Chaz in camp) is the best offensive player on the team.

If McFadden can be blocked for and he can make plays and hold on to the ball, there’s a “weapon” back on the field.

• DMAC

“I gave my friend Tiki a call over the bye. Don’t worry Nation I won’t disspoint this weekend. Have faith in me.”

• Silver-n-Smac

LA:

It’s really pretty simple.

After watching how these first 8 games played out, it’s clear the Raiders have absolutely committed to living & dying with the youth of this team.

I think every guy in here would bet that If Javon Walker was playing from week #1, that Jamarcus would have fared better.

But, I think Al is firm in his belief that the lumps they take this year (literally, from losing & from the media) will only have them that much more prepared for the following season.

That’s not what we want to hear as fans, and it’s definitely an unorthodox way of approaching the “Do what you have to do to win right now” philosophy that Al has traditionally had.

But I really think that’s what his plan is. I don’t think Walker is in the dog house or anything like that.

I just think this entire season has been treated like a rookie mini camp.

Sucks for us, but, if that line of reasoning pans out by season’s end, maybe we’ll all be smiling next year.

That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it. And yes, I’ve been drinking Koolaid while typing this!

• Silver-n-Smac

This Raider team, other than the Chiefs, is probably the youngest in the NFL.

If all these youngsters at the skill positions turn out to be legit players, then the Raiders will definitely start winning games soon enough.

If they don’t pan out, then here we ago again – time to reload.

I personally believe in the former, not the latter.

SNS: do we have enough veteran leadership to bring along the youngsters?

does Al allow the coaches to coach the schemes that they believe in and the players that they feel give us the best chance to win, both now and in the future?

so many distractions with kiffin and now cable. makes you wonder if a coaching change isn’t looming in the offseason, which means a new playbook, terminology, lack of trust, etc. starting all over will not help the youngsters, with or without playing time under their belts. thats why it is important to get a qualified coaching staff in place to begin with and give them 3 or 4 years to make this a competitive football team. right now we’re a laughing stock and we’ll continue to be one as long as Al is cheap with coaches, power hungry and drafts potential over production and speed over football IQ

• DMAC

I totally agree RR.

• Random Drug Tester

Richochet – you remind me of those hockey players that play dirty and talk-trash while wearing a helmet and a visor, knowing they will never have to drop the gloves.

Now go ahead and call me peanut and pumpkin and then claim that you toasted my “take”.

You are the only one in here that thinks your mind-numbing posts are worth reading or are victorious over anybody.

Go away, we don’t like you either, just like everybody at YOUR favourite team’s blog.

new post!

• Pingback: Jerry McD: Four straight blackouts - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!

• R8RFAN09

It’s time for Raider fans to make a statement . . . see the following: http://evoltees.com/savethenation.html

• Pingback: piano sales