Gradkowski awaits word

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, November 16th, 2009 at 1:04 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Quarterback Bruce Gradkowski, who had the Raiders in position for a potential victory following a two-minute drill only to have a pass deflect off the hands of Darrius Heyward-Bey to Mike Brown for an interception, said Monday he doesn’t know what his status will be for this week’s game against the Cincinnati Bengals.

“I haven’t heard anything, not really worried about it, just approaching like I do every week, so we’ll see,” Gradkowski said.

Coach Tom Cable said following the 16-10 defeat he wasn’t sure if JaMarcus Russell or Gradkowski would be the starter.

Gradkowski said he received encouragement from Russell after replacing him in the minutes of the third quarter.

“He’ll give me his opinion, he’ll tell me what’s up, what looks good, just I do for him,” Gradkowski said. “We’re there for each other, like I said, this is a team sport, and we need to just find a way to win, whatever that may be.”

Gradkowski said he didn’t know when Cable was going to decide.

“I’m not sure what Coach Cable’s going to do or what the coach is going to do and that’s their decision,” Gradkowski said. “Either way I’m going to prepare as hard as I can. We will find out before Wednesday but until then I’m just going to do the same things I normally do and hey whatever that may be I’m just going to approach it the right way.”

More to come following Cable’s weekly press conference at 2 p.m. (PST) . . .

• Richochet

# RaiderDogg Says:
    November 16th, 2009 at 2:43 pm

Did I mention that I had the pleasure of meeting Jim Plunkett yesterday during the game? A very nice person, although he wasn’t in the best of moods…
    ====================
    Golfed with Plunkett down at Stanford in a Charity event..
    Guy is seriously about as friendly as you can get.

Obviously a different setting than yesterday..

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

SnB

How does a sane man hire 5 Head Coaches in 5 years?

Arrogance? Demented arrogance?

Fire The WRs Coach!
    Fire the RBs coach!
    Fire the LBs Coach!
    Fire the Oline Coach!
    Fire the Dline Coach!
    Fire the QB Coach!
    Fire the HC!!

Fire everyone that has the term Coach in their tittle!

• Richochet

# Silver-n-Smac Says:
    November 16th, 2009 at 2:41 pm

Richocrap says:

Most just shut up, and take the abuse, knowing they might need Al at some point for something.

*****************************************************

What a bunch of BS.

When???

Name me just ONE of these examples that EVER relied on a good word or a good reference from Al?

Explain why a guy like Gruden, who’s clearly established as a fantastic head coach, needs ANYTHING from Al Davis at this point?

If Gruden, for example, has such ill feelings towards Al, why would he even hesitate to rip him publicly?

What, is Al gonna have Chucky axed or something?

Please.
    ==========================
    Obviously you know nothing of business.
    Of being in a ‘closed industry’, where, like it or not, you run across others that may have slighted you at some point.
    Owners meetings.
    NFL events.
    Games..or…DUMBASS..in this case..ANNOUNCING GAMES.

Are you seriously THIS STUPID??

ok, peanut..riddle me this.

Gannon.
    Negative comments about organization and Al.

Al: I WANT HIM BANNED FROM THE FACILITY.

That’s just a small remote example…

Point is, DUMBASS..If I’m an OWNER..AND I’M CONSIDERING HIRING JOEBLOW FOR A JOB, but…BUT..after leaving his previous job, JOE BLOW THEN PROCEEDED TO MAKE NEGATIVE AFTER NEGATIVE COMMENT ABOUT HIS PREVIOUS OWNER, am I now going to hire this guy, knowing he’ll do the exact same thing to me???

Got it now?

Now get back to kissing your al davis poster, and accept the fact you’re still a dweeb, regardless of Al losing it, or not.

• http://atm Raider O

How can we stop KK from asking the same dumb questions every day?

• http://atm Raider O

Why did JR get benched, and not DHB?!

• SnB offense defense specialteams

KoolKell Says:
    November 16th, 2009 at 2:51 pm
    SnB

How does a sane man hire 5 Head Coaches in 5 years?

Arrogance? Demented arrogance?
    =======================================================
    Or 9 coaches in 19 years? Its his way of doing business.

He’s not tied to the bottom line like other owners because his investment has paid off long-ago.

Other owners are hurting to get a return on the hundreds of millions already invested to buy their teams, pay for their stadiums…and cover the debt service.

Davis is not tied to those financial issues. So he can do things this way with little financial impact.

Or until the rest of the league tires of subsidizing etc….

This is his team to run as he sees fit. I hope he can turn this around eventually because Raider football has been so bad that apathy (not hate) is setting in.

By the way,..an apathetic fan base is far worse than an angry one. Apathetic fan bases eventually lose their franchise whereas angry fanbases have to be appeased!

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Raider O Says:
    November 16th, 2009 at 2:55 pm
    Why did JR get benched, and not DHB?!
    ______________________

Why didn’t Cable get benched for pulling out the Wildhog yesterday?

What a fukkin tool.

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

Richochet Says:
    November 16th, 2009 at 2:48 pm
    # RaiderDogg Says:
    November 16th, 2009 at 2:43 pm

====================
    Golfed with Plunkett down at Stanford in a Charity event..
    Guy is seriously about as friendly as you can get.

Obviously a different setting than yesterday..
    ———————————————
    I could tell that he was a really kind guy, while he spent a few minutes just talking old glory days with me.

• http://atm Raider O

I understood why JR got benches the 1st time, but I don’t why it happened yesterday.

Cable is a Fat Monkey Dakota. He ran HB screens with Fargas & Russell!! Fargas & Russell!!!!

Fargas dropped the pass, and Russel had a 1 yard!

• Silver-n-Smac

Richocrap:

You just don’t get it do you “peanut”?

1. First off, Al Davis IS the Raiders. You’re an IDIOT if you think otherwise. It makes no difference now who he screwed. He IS the team.

2. I don’t give a rat’s ass about Al Davis, any more than he does or does not care about me, the “fan”. I’ve said, many times, that while I have a ton of respect for what he’s done, that he’s made plenty of mistakes.

3. Any moron in here who states that they started being a Raider fan, all the while clueless of how influential Al Davis is/was to every single decision/operation that occurs on a daily basis with the team, is just that – A MORON. So, don’t give me the “you can be a fan of the Raiders exclusive of Al Davis in the equation” crap. That’s just foolish.

4. If you truly despise what he stands for, then YOU are the puppet who chose this team in the first place.

5. If you truly think he meddles too much, then YOU are the puppet who chose this team in the first place.

6. If you truly think he doesn’t know squat about today’s football, YOU are the puppet who chooses to remain a fan of his team.

7. I mean, what kind of idiot roots for a team with the most influential owner in professional sports, and then goes on to whine, biotch, complain, moan & groan every day when things go south?

8. Sorry man – YOU are the suckers. If you can’t stand Al, then why the hell did you choose this team? I keep asking with no good answers.

9. I mean, let’s say ALL of your gripes are legit. Then again. . . YOU are the idiot who keeps on watching. Go root for another team. If everything you whine about is legit, there would be no shame in jumping ship.

Lastly, I don’t kiss his ass. I love my Raider football & the experience I have on Sundays with other fans. I’ve watched this team for 31 years, long enough to know that even great franchises suck badly through stretches. Hey, it happens. Deal with it. We suck. Al has screwed up a crap load over the past 20 years. He’s also plenty capable of turning HIS team around. If you don’t think so, blow off!

Watch or don’t watch. But quit your biotching.

*Don’t understand….

• Richochet

# Raider O Says:
    November 16th, 2009 at 2:55 pm

Why did JR get benched, and not DHB?!
    ==================
    Excellent question.

I’m sure the fact that Al is desperately trying to put all the negative press regarding signing Bey to sleep has something to do with it..although now it’s worse than ever.

What happened to Javon?

how the hell do you pay someone 12 million to sit for a year?
    I want his job, lol

• http://http://www.mensa.org/ Raiders Grief Counselor Albert Bigelow Paine

Just took a look at the Raiders remaining schedule. The only “winnable” games are against the Redskins and Cleveland. I doubt they win either of those. Looks like a 2-14 season.

I blame 2 people fir this cr@p:
    1- Cable for being a fat monkey.
    2- Al !! Al hired the fat monkey to be a HC, and drafted a WR with the 7th pick that can’t catch and causes INTs!! WTF?!?!

DHB drops a great pass by JR for a TD, and he caused an INT ( again) by a dumb move!

• Silver-n-Smac

Richo:

You’re dumb. Plain and simple. People around the league talk negatively about other people/owners/players, etc., all the freakin’ time.

You think Al’s “I want him banned from the facility” did ANYTHING to Gannon’s credibility?

The answer is no fool.

If you’ve handled your business with integrity, that’s what’s going to take you places. Making a negative comment about Al Davis after you’ve already succeeded elsewhere is not gonna ruin your career.

You’re a prime example of this type of cowardice.

Rich,

Some will say Al wants to develop the young talent we have, but then you wonder: so why isn’t Mitchell on the field? He was a 2nd RD pick!

• http://atm Raider O

Bill C was right! This team is dumb!

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

The double bird cost Bud Adams a $250,000 fine.

• morilla

I wonder how Crabtree is doing… Oh wait….

• http://atm Raider O

Huff plays well on passing downs, but he doesn’t do much against the RUN. Put Mitchell in there on 1st and 2nd downs!

• UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER

Adam_Schefter NFL slapped Titans owner Bud Adams with a whopping $250,000 fine for flipping the double bird.
    43 minutes ago from web
    ==================

lmfao how much is al davis getting fined for flipping the raider nation the double bird every sunday

hell al even throws in a suc@ my d(#k sign as well !!!!!!!!!!

• Silver-n-Smac

This team does NOT need a new coach.

It does NOT need a new owner.

It does NOT need a complete make-over.

What it DOES need is a good right-hand man to help Al deal with a lot of issues he used to have help with.

That aside, this team needs to continue with the little bit of stability it showed by bringing the coach back.

I realize none of that satisfies any of you.

Guess what – tough crap.

I’ll say it again. Kenny Stabler didn’t start until his 5th freakin’ year in the league.

Good players don’t always become good overnight.

For every Matt Ryan, the majority of QB’s still need a few years in the league to develop into legit players.

Very few of you have the foresight to see that.

You want instant gratification (like this blog).

That’s sad.

• http://atm Raider O

It’s the same issues every year. Different coaches but the same results. We can’t pass, and we can’t stop the run! We had Moss, and we couldn’t pass due to the bad oline.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Silver-N-Smac

You are right. People have to accept that DAvis is the owner and will run it as they see fit. But people also have a right to complain and comment about the current state.

People complain about the government all the time. Does it mean they hate their country?

Blind allegance is hardly the answer either. But if you are cool with it all then I say fine.

But don’t slam people that are pointing out the obvious shortcoming of this team over SEVEN years.

We aren’t talking 2004….I would be/was the 1st to say calm down.

But after 7 yrs of the worst football in history and no sight of measurable/objective improvement….I think a healthy or even unhealthy critique is fully warranted.

All of those guys…owner/players/coaches are getting millions of dollars for failing week in and week out.

In the real world, people get fired without the financial cushion.

One can criticize this mess and still be a fan.

And sir….this is a hot mess we have on our hands!

SnB,

7years below .500!!! Whatchu talking about?! lol

• Richochet

# Silver-n-Smac Says:
    November 16th, 2009 at 3:06 pm

Richocrap:

You just don’t get it do you “peanut”?

RICHOCHET; no, YOU’RE A PUPPET AND A SORRY LEMMING for even stating that. The moment he turns over the team, THE TEAM WILL DO BETTER. THAT EXACT MOMENT things will start looking up. You’re just a worm who lives vicariously though the old guy, and that’s sad.

###########################################

RICHOCHET; Then why state ‘IF YOU DON’T LOVE AL, GO SUPPORT ANY OTHER TEAM”?? LOL..don’t start contradicting yourself now.

##########################

RICHOCHET: Oh BULL****. You’re not talking about what effect an owner has, you moron, you’re talking about AL DAVIS IS THE RAIDERS. he’s not, fool. He’s the owner. A HELL OF A LOT OF RAIDER FANS ARE FANS OF THE TEAM..you know..the players..the game..NOT THE OWNER..the team.

ACCORDING TO YOU, WHEN AL GOES, YOU GO. WHEN AL LEAVES, YOU LEAVE. IN OTHER WORDS, YOU’RE NOT A RAIDER FAN, YOU’RE A AL DAVIS FAN..a puppet.
    ##########################3

RICHOCHET: he’s the WORST OWNER IN ALL OF SPORTS. the worst, bar none. NO ONE DISPUTES THAT..ok..now..explain how you STILL LOVE EVERYTHING HE STANDS FOR..puppet.

##################################

RICHOCHET: LMAO..geez..you’re pathetic..look at you? That’s ignorant, dude, big time.
    See, GANNON SAYS HE MEDDLES TOO MUCH.
    Jerry Rice says HE MEDDLES TOO MUCH.
    Tim Brown? SAME THING.
    Sapp? Same thing?
    Garner? washington? Simms? on and on and on?? SAME THING.

THE GUY CALLS DOWN WHAT DEFENSIVE SCHEME HE WANTS..you moron.
    The guy strolls on the field, in his gold cart, and calls everyone over..YOU MORON..that’s meddling, big time.
    ##########################

RICHOCHET; While you stupidly remain a fan of THE MAN. You don’t like the Raiders. You live vicariously though the man. You puff out your chest, bragging about Al, but now? Now you’re reduced to defending his idiot decisions. Now, YOUR FRIENDS ARE LAUGHING AT YOU..and you don’t know how to bow out gracefully.
    HERE’S MY GUARANTEE..when Al goes, so do you. And you’ll blame all those ‘SORRY FANS WHO DIDN’T SUPPORT HIM WHILE HE WAS STILL AROUND”..because..you’re a PUPPET.
    ####################################

RICHOCHET: Al hasn’t done a damn thing in OVER TWO DECADES, fool. has not affected a damn thing since the 70′s…YEAH..THE 70′S. Things went south over 25 years ago, clown.
    ################################

RICHOCHET: Want a great answer? BECAUSE EVERYONE WHO’S SLAPPING YOU UPSIDE YOUR HEAD ARE RAIDER FANS. No one says “We’re going to go watch KC play Al Davis’
    Got it, MORON? lol..why do I know you don’t?

############################3

RICHOCHET: of course you feel that way. YOU’RE NOT A RAIDER FAN, you’re an Al Davis fan. YOU ADMITTED IT. you stated you’re a fan BECAUSE OF AL, not the team. Means as a fan YOU SUCK. So good riddance once Al is gone, so will you.

##########################3

RICHOCHET: LMAO..are you crying? Sound like it..little hissy fit? stomping feet? balled up fists?? little tantrum?
    Here’s the reality, moron.
    Owners, LIKE COACHES, have basically two rules.
    1. you do everything you can to help the team win.
    2. You never do anything that directly affected why you lost.

When coaches don’t do the above? THEY’RE FIRED.
    Al? iF HE WAS COACH, OR GM? HE WOULD HAVE BEEN FIRED 25 YEARS AGO…and 24 years ago..and 20 years ago…19…17…4, 3, 2….

GET it?? yeah, yeah…he “can turn it around”…HOW MANY LOSING SEASON, DECADES DOES HE GET A PASS WHILE HE RUNS THE TEAM INTO THE GROUND, while fools like YOU wait for ONE moment of glory, believing it erases the last few decades of futility??

• http://atm Raider O

Instant!! 7 years with the same bad results! That’s called CONSTANT!!

• http://atm Raider O

Time for me to go study. Later Gents.

• Richochet

# Silver-n-Smac Says:
    November 16th, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Richo:

The answer is no fool.

RICHOCHET; No, it DESTROYED THE LAST REMAINING BIT OF AL’S CREDIBILITY. Across the Raider nation, fans were loud and clear on saying F*** you Al, for his classless decision.
    GANNON WAS THE ONE WHO WALKED PROUD, when he stated ‘Oh, uh, I missed my plane” and didn’t show up at the coliseum, where Al was powerless to keep him out, because of LEAGUE RULES.

Gannon held his head up, and refused to add to Al’s crash and burn.

Yeah, did nothing to hurt Gannon, but it got negative press, and Gannon did everything he could to defuse it.

========================================

RICHOCHET: And one thing Al has is ZERO integrity. None.
    You will find not one single person who states Al Davis has integrity.
    Everyone knows he’s a backstabbing snake in the grass, that will screw over friends, family, team and fans..for a buck.

Kiss that poster, lemming, as only YOU can.

• http://CableBumaye 909RaiderLifer

Cable says QB decision to come on Wed.—D. White.

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

LONG ONE FROM MICHAEL SILVER BUT ON THE SPOT:
    Darrius Heyward-Bey, that was some hellacious handiwork with 30 seconds remaining in the Raiders’ 16-10 defeat to the Chiefs at the Oakland-Alameda County Coliseum, trying to pull a nice pass from Bruce Gradkowski into your chest at the 10-yard line and instead lifting it over your head and into the waiting arms of Kansas City Chiefs safety Mike Brown for the game-clinching interception. Call it the signature moment of a horrific afternoon and regrettable rookie season that has done nothing but validate the opinions of all the NFL draft-weekend skeptics who thought you were a ridiculous reach when Oakland made you the seventh overall pick. Though you’ve been a starter all year long, you’ve managed just six catches for 96 yards for an offense in desperate search of a playmaker. Remember all the people who scoffed at offensive coordinator Tom Walsh during Art Shell’s second stint as the Raiders’ coach in 2006? Well, Mr. Bed and Breakfast looks downright progressive compared to the current brain trust. Sunday was Tom Cable’s 21st game as head coach, and the 16th in which Oakland has scored one offensive touchdown or fewer (in half of those 16 games, the Raiders haven’t scored any offensive TDs). Nine games into the ’09 campaign, the Silver and Black has managed seven offensive scores. Seven! Coming off a bye week, the Raiders (2-7) put up just 10 points against Kansas City (2-7), which has the third-lowest-ranked defense in the AFC. Be it Cable or Heyward-Bey, all I can say is this: Al Davis, you sure know how to pick ‘em.

• Richochet

LMFAO at Silver and Smac:
    “We don’t need a new HC, or different players..or an owner to butt out..we just need Al to get “help”"

awww..how sweet…you’re accepting the old guy has lost it, and does actually, in fact, NEED A GM…where Al needs to BUTT THE HELL OUT…

Good little lemming..you’re getting it, finally.

• kidseven

It’s with some fondness I recall Shell’s Bed & Breakfast offense. They were a juggernaut by comparison. For some reason the players can’t seem to implement Cable’s Broke-Jaw-B*tch-Slap–Express.

• Richochet

Will say one thing about Bey…while he went over the “two touch” limit, every volleyball player was proud of his “3-set” touch on that ball yesterday..perfect volleyball form, setting that ball up.

• Richochet

# 909RaiderLifer Says:
    November 16th, 2009 at 3:35 pm

Cable says QB decision to come on Wed.—D. White.
    ===================
    Translation: “Al should get a hold of me by then, and let me know what he wants me to do”

• kidseven

Al: Why do you keep putting in Jaworski?
    Cable: Ah…it’s Gradkowski, sir.
    Al: Whatever.

• Mistabrown
  • http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Silver-n-Smac Says:
    November 16th, 2009 at 3:26 pm
    This team does NOT need a new coach.

It does NOT need a new owner.

It does NOT need a complete make-over.

I realize none of that satisfies any of you.

Guess what – tough crap.

Good players don’t always become good overnight.

Very few of you have the foresight to see that.

You want instant gratification (like this blog).

That’s sad.
    _____________________________

What dimension does this guy live in? In this dimension the Oakland Raiders are one of the worst franchises in professional sports due to the owner and the HC is an unqualified guy named Tom Cable.

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Good thing Al Davis was not at his home in the Coachella Valley. He might have kicked in his new doors with his walker.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Have a good one fellas…

• Silver-n-Smac

Richocrap:

I love how you quote me and then completely insert the words you want.

Hey dumb-ass, if you’re going to quote me, then quote me. Don’t make shiot up.

When did I say anything about loving Al????
    What I said is that if you don’t acknowledge that Al is EVERYTHING Raiders, then you’re in denial. Everything you like or don’t like will remain as long as he’s the owner. Period. You don’t like it? Leave.

YOU are the puppet for calling yourself a “Raiders” fan, without acknowledging that that word is synonymous with Al Davis, good or bad.

If Al Davis hasn’t done anything since the 70′s, who’s the idiot who keeps on watching HIS team, all the while believing that Davis is incapable of running a team?

If you’ve believed he’s an inept owner for the past 25 years, then what the hell are you doing watching HIS team?

What are you – stupid? The team is a product of everything he exudes. If you root for the team, you are an idiot if you don’t fully acknowledge that THAT team is completely defined by HIM.

You’re a freakin’ idiot. I don’t know why I waste my time with you.

• DKnight007

KoolKell Says:
    November 16th, 2009 at 12:32 pm
    The Blackouts will continue until the fans see some REAL CHANGE.

More lipstick on this pig, in the form of Re-tread Coaches, rookie no-name coaches, or sons of coaches will not get it.

Al Davis will have to cede power to lift the blackouts

^^^^^^
    EXACTLY!!!

Can’t wait for crazy old man Al Davis to select USAIN BOLT with the top three pick next year!!

Freakin the old looney probably already thought about it.

I know some Charger fans that keep saying that they hope Al Davis lives forever and that he keeps making all the decisions until he dies!

LOL….they say that cause they know the team will continue to suck as long as Al Davis is in charge!

How freakin pathetic!

Thanks again old man for ruining the franchise!

Appreciate it….moron!

• BlackSunday32

Yeah bring cable back as if he isn’t a big enough joke, 2009 not 69 don’t care how long it took Snake to get good we aren’t asking tubby to be Manning but how about 150y no picks and just maybe these things called TD but no he can’t even hit wr go watch that last pass he threw to JLH just awful.

• Pingback: The RaiderCast | Gradkowski awaits word

• Pingback: Jerry McD: http://www.ibabuzz.com/oaklandraiders/2009/11/16/gradkowski-awaits-word/ - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!

• Pingback: Jerry McD: Gradkowski awaits word - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!