Russell takes extra work

News, notes and observations following Tom Cable’s post-practice press briefing:

— Most interesting sight following practice _ JaMarcus Russell, still on the field, doing some extra throwing, as Cable began a short session with the local media.

If that has been the case even once all year, I don’t remember it.

— No sellout. The Raiders will be blacked out for the fifth straight time since their Week 1 sellout.

— Defensive end Greg Ellis increased his practice reps but did not finish practice, classifying him as limited. Cable said he thought it was possible Ellis would make it through the Friday practice in its entirely and start against Cincinnati. Also limited but expected to play is special teamer Isaiah Ekejiuba (shoulder).

— Free safety Hiram Eugene, out with a shoulder injury Wednesday, made it through practice and should be available to play as a reserve and on special teams.

— Still out of practice and out of the picture for Sunday _ WR Javon Walker (hamstring), WR-KR Nick Miller (tibia) and LB Ricky Brown (ankle).

Brown said he has been running on the field recently but his return isn’t imminent.

— Cable’s review of Gradkowski’s practice session: “Good. He’s got good command, leading the huddle and throwing a lot of completions.”

— Gradkowski is the nicest guy you’d ever want to meet and is adept at cliches as Crash Davis in “Bull Durham.”

A condensed version of the Gradkowski interview: “Just a matter of executing . . . as a competitor you want to start . . . one day at a time . . . one week at a time . . . we just have to stay the course.”

A transcript of Gradkowski’s media session will be posted later . . .

— Cable could only smile when asked if the Bengals’ resurgence this season after going 4-11-1 last year was a payoff for staying the course instead of making dramatic changes.

“You look at how they rebuilt that offensive line, and they’ve got some guys plugged in on defense,” Cable said. “They’ve had two first-round picks at linebacker that have worked out great. They’ve kind of stayed in there with Marvin (Lewis) and all of a sudden they’re playing pretty well.”

— Gradkowski played with Jeff Garcia in Tampa, has comparable dedication to preparation and also has a similar style, as Tollner noted in his media session.

Perhaps Garcia wanted no part of the Raiders _ his demeanor in training camp suggested he regretted ever signing the contract _ but you wonder if he’s regretting requesting his release. He would not only be the starting quarterback if still on the roster, but his presence may have forced the issue with Russell even sooner.

— You think it’s easy being Cable? Forget the concern over whether Gradkowski will make things better on Sunday. Instead, you worry about making it that far and without getting a phone call from the boss that says, “I changed my mind. JaMarcus is starting.”

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Good job Russell, that is what we want to see.

Prove ’em wrong next year under Fassel!

Raider Dell Says:
    November 19th, 2009 at 3:29 pm
    Dakota

I always asked my dad why he chose to be a Cubs fan and Raider fan, considering the intangibles surrounding each team.

He looked at me and replied, they are my favorite teams.

I hope your right about this season upcoming.

• Cable could only smile when asked if the Bengals’ resurgence this season after going 4-11-1 last year was a payoff for staying the course instead of making dramatic changes.

________________________________

Translation of what Cable said: We should have drafted o-line and LB last year instead of WR and S Al! And Al don’t give up on my sorry azz yet, give me 6 years and maybe I will win more than 8 games for once like Lewis!

Dakota

The shop must be busy, you’re still at work. What up with that?

• Only 4:30 here Dell…not quite closing time just yet…it is only Thursday, so i can’t leave early lol.

Sounds like your Dad was a good guy.

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

The curse of the Billy Goat must 1st be removed from the Cubs.

• Raider Dell

Loved the Cubs and the Blackhawks. Didn’t like the Bears much. I never could figure out why.

I still got my Billy Williams, Ron Santo autographed ball.

• Raider Dell

A few years ago, maybe more than a few. I was at a financial conference and one of the motivational speakers was Ryne Sandberg. He was pretty cool guy.

• I’ve got an Ernie Banks autographed ball on my desk…gotta love those Cubbies! My Dad gave it to me several years ago…he must have thought he was going to kick the bucket or something, because he now looks at it with longing every time he is in my office, lol.

Exla

Are you in Ohio?

• Raider Dell Says:
    November 19th, 2009 at 3:39 pm
    ___________________

Oh man, Ryno is my all-time favorite Cub. I want to name my son Ryne, but everyone would mispronounce it as Ryan.

Dakota

If Jamarcus had half the motivation as Ryne, we would be in good shape. That guy was a player!

• 4evaRaider

better late than never,I guess

• Dell,

I remember the early 1990s when Magic announced he had HIV, Bo injured his hip, and Ryne broke his wrist and was never the same, all in the matter of a few years…

Dark days in the Dakota household. Dark dark days indeed.

4eva

I thought of you on Saturday. I went to my local farming butcher shop and bought my 180 lb hog.

Very tasty. Chops were so good!

• 4evaRaider

Yep like I wanted…

1.Mack
    2.Rey

Dakota

Lived in SoCal between the years 1979-1983, was a big Laker fan. My girlfriends brother played against Kurt Rambis who then attended Cupertino High. He was a big scorer in High School. I use to wait until the first quarter was almost over and the scalpers were left with the tickets and always seemed to find great seats with half the cash others had to pay.
    This was at the ol Forum.

• What? Oprah Winfrey is ending her talk show!!!!!

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

When I was a kid, the Cubs had Ernie Banks at SS and he was the MVP in 1958 and 1959 even though the Cubs were in 7th or 8th place. Won the HR title twice. Not known to many, he is O.J.’s 2nd cousin. I was born in Chicago.

• Raider Dell

I thought she did years ago.

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Raider Dell Says:
    November 19th, 2009 at 3:40 pm
    Exla

Are you in Ohio?
    ————————–
    Living in Toledo. Chicago to L.A. to Mpls. to Toledo. What a ride. lol

• Raider Dell

All Cub fans have great memories for the player we followed. Too bad they haven’t won a title.

Being a Cub fan is never saying never.

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder Says:
    November 19th, 2009 at 3:51 pm
    ________________________

O.J.’s 2nd cousin huh? I wonder if Marcus Allen slept with him then?

• GG

Word out of the Raiders is that if Gradkowski cant make it thru the week with his injury, Frye will start. Cable talking saying stuff about how Russell cannot give the offense any options to do different things on offense, cannot read blitzes, cannot motion players around looking for mismatches and hot-reads etc, all things that Frye/Gradkowski can do.

• Cool Dell, you got to see the young Buck Johnson back then…nice.

Exla

I had a conference in Columbus, with Nationwide Insurance Co as the main sponsor. I had a chance to visit Ohio St. Pretty impressive school.

• 4evaRaider

Dell…my neighbor is just killing them.Sinse Sept.1st hes got 15 hogs and 7 deer.

Hes lived here all his life and says this is the most he’s seen.

Conservation and the elimination of certain types of chemicals seems to be working

Dakota

I must admit watching the Lakers back then, I was a big James Worthy fan. I use to love his dunks on those fast breaks. The crowd would go wild when he dunked .

• “Most interesting sight following practice _ JaMarcus Russell, still on the field, doing some extra throwing, as Cable began a short session with the local media.

If that has been the case even once all year, I don’t remember it.”
    —————————
    That’s because he always got the most practice snaps, no?

C’mon Jerry.

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

I have a daughter living in a Columbus suburb. Whole State shutting down Saturday for the Border Battle between the Buckeyes and Mich.

Exla

That is one school with a great history of sports.

• 4evaRaider

man collage football is GREAT!!!

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder Says:
    November 19th, 2009 at 3:59 pm
    _______________

GOOOOOOOO BUCKEYES! Fuk Michigan!

I am out.

Later D

• Dakota Says:
    November 19th, 2009 at 3:40 pm

I’ve got an Ernie Banks autographed ball on my desk…gotta love those Cubbies!
    ————————
    Ernie Banks hit on my wife at a card show or something 20 years ago at the Cow Palace. 😉

• Right in front of me.

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Most credit goes to Frank Robinson but Ernie Banks was baseball’s 1st blk manager.
    On May 8, 1973, Cubs manager Whitey Lockman was ejected in the 11th inning of a game against the San Diego Padres. Coach Ernie Banks filled in as manager for the remainder of the game, which the Cubs won 3-2 in 12 innings. Thus, he was technically, if not officially, MLB’s first black manager, predating Frank Robinson’s hiring by almost two years.

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Ernie and his wife adopted a child in 2008 and moved to L.A. He’s 78 yrs old.

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Got to go. Any day is a great day to be a member of the Raider Nation. See ya!

Later Ex

• Dell

How do you feel about Al Davis hiring puppets for coaches, when said puppets run the team as Davis wishes, it goes in the toilet as predicted, then he fires them.

Is that a stand up guy?

• new englandraider

colt 45 and 2 zig zags baby thats all we need. we can go to the park after dark and smoke that tumbleweed. as the marijuana burn we can take out turn singing the dirty rap songs. stop and hit the bong like cheech and chong and sell tapes from here to hong kong. so roll, roll, roll a joint pick out the seeds and stems

• new englandraider

afroman

• ottocrat

Cable to Russle: “Look, I’m going to go talk to these rubes, you go out there and hang out on the field while I’m doing it. It’ll make you look good. Then, I’ll take you to Sizzler, OK big guy?”

• Raiders4eve

I hate AL Davis and wishes he passes away so that we can finally have a solid GM and a new owner (hopefully his son sells the team), but I have good feeling this week, I think Grad plays big, defense stays motivated and we win this game or lose with honor. No 2KC, Giants, Denver, Houston meltdown, more like SD, Philly, 1KC. Things like moving the chain, 1st downs, good running game, solid catching by Shcillens and Murphy. I am anticipating a change. Hopefully players play motivated with JABUST watching his friends performing and AL Davis accepting that JR is a clear bust.

• Raiders4eve, the only way Gradkowski’s having a good game is if they give him a different playbook. You wouldn’t find it at all suspicious if Gradkowski was given a better set of plays, and therefore a better chance, than Russell?

Those of you guys saying Gradkowski will be better… Under the plays that Russell has been stuck with? Ha ha!!! I can’t wait to see it. I’m going to be laughing my ass off at you guys on Sunday, and your goofy, optimistic predictions will all be noted. The only way Gradkowski does better is with a different playbook, and that wouldn’t prove him to be better than Russell. Why wasn’t Russell given a playbook with higher percentage passing plays?

Raider fans are the dumbest people on earth, and you guys keep proving it. You guys are just a non stop side show, a perfect compliment to the NFL’s biggest side show, Al Davis and the Oakland Raiders.

• Midwest Fan

MR – Why do you bash Raider fans and than use the term “we” when refering to the team in other instances? Yes, I realize your role on this board but why not stay consistant.

• Raiders4eve

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    November 19th, 2009 at 5:14 pm

=====================================================

I usually agree with the stuff you say but you definitely sound absurd regarding this matter. Here is my take and you can give me yours.

Cable was given a permission to start Grad over Russell, the playbook Cable was using which me and you we both know that it was AL’s playbook. Run Run Throw a deep pass, yes that doesn’t work. But Grad doesn’t have the strong arm that Russel has, if Cable went deep 25% of the game, with Grad it will be limited to 10%. You heard Tollner say the comparison between Garcia and Grad, the playbook will be the same, the play calling will reflect somethings that benefits Grad.

Cable said the main reason he benched JABUST is due to his inaccuracy. He will not do the same mistakes he did with Russell. Grad will be more accurate for the simple fact that he is more accurate than JABUST. Since Jabust is not starting, Cable can alter the play calling, AL needs a win, Cable needs win, if the only way a win is going to happen through the WCO system that Cable saw Kiffen implement, than be it.

Another major point is that as KC safety said, defenses have figured JABUST out, he focuses on wide side of the field and forgets the other, he can’t throw the 5 yard passes accurately, so Cable is stuck with half the play calling, Does that make sense? if you know half, than you use half of what you know.

Main point, Grad has played in this league, played for a team with less talent like the Bucs, knows how to run for the first down, knows to call audible which JABUST clearly don’t and simply will be playing a system he played all his life in WCO not the vertical pass game that AL favors.

Now I hope to hear from you, I definitely respect your opinion more than the lunatic Priesttj that sounds like a fraud car dealer trying to sell me a hoopty for a G.

• raidasteve

Now JaMarcus decides to put extra work in… Nice.