Cable thought about going for two

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, November 23rd, 2009 at 5:50 pm in Oakland Raiders.

More news, notes and quotes (at a better rate of connection speed) Monday and the weekly press conference with coach Tom Cable:

– Cable had two strategic decisions which worked in his favor during the 20-17 win over the Bengals.

First, facing a fourth-and-1 trailing 17-10 at the Oakland 47, Cable was booed for sending in Shane Lechler to punt. The Raiders had failed on a third-and-1 and nearly eight minutes remained in the game.

Lechler punted the Bengals back to the 10-yard line and the Raiders forced a three-and-out.

Oakland got a 12-yard punt return by Johnnie Lee Higgins _ good by the Raiders’ 2009 standards _ only to have Bruce Gradkowski’s deep pass to Louis Murphy intercepted by Johnathan Joseph when the quarterback was hit while throwing. Both Cable and Gradkowski contend a touchdown was there for the taking with better protection.

Later, when the Raiders tied the score when Gradkowski and Murphy ultimately hooked up, Cable’s decision was whether to go for two or send out Sebastian Janikowski to convert the extra point and put the game into overtime.

“We talked about it. My thought was we had battled to get there,” Cable said. “Let’s get to overtime and win it there. If we can get one more drive, I felt like we were getting into a rhythm offensively. I thought we’d be fine, but I did think about.”

Bottom line is he made the right call both times because the scoreboard says so. Strategically, it seems sound from here to put Lechler on the field to pin the Bengals back in their own territory on the first decision, and to trust the way the team had been playing defensively with regard to the second decision.

– Gradkowski had passes batted down at the line of scrimmage by Donata Peko and Frostee Rucker, and his relative lack of height (he’s 6.5 inches shorter than Russell) means he’ll have to look for windows at times instead of throwing over the top.

“I think moving in the pocket can help create lanes for himself,” Cable said. “As offensive linemen, you have to be aware of those things and his physical stature. We have a thing about jumpers and being more aware of it than the week before. Before it was kind of easy because JaMarcus was so much taller than everybody else over the top.”

– Defensive end Jay Richardson got his most extensive playing time because of the injury to defensive end Richard Seymour and responded with his best game with six tackles and a tackle for loss.

“I thought it was a real lift for our team,” Cable said. “Jay has not played a lot because of who he’s playing behind and he was needed yesterday. He stepped up and made some plays.”

Said Richardson: “You want to make sure you step up and do your job. Don’t worry about the added pressure, just do what you do best because we all have different styles up front.”

– The Raiders brought more blitz pressure than at any time since the win over Philadelphia, and Richardson was glad to see it.

“It helps you out because the offensive line has got some other things they’ve got to account for and in doing that they might lose track in what we’re doing up front,” Richardson said. “Blitzing forces them to have to think more, make some checks, and usually they’re going to have a bust.”

Not that he was all that thrilled with having to listen to Branch and Stanford Routt crow about their pass rushing skills.

“I’d rather us get the sacks up front, the defensive linemen,” Richardson said. “I’m always happy for the guys, but you’ve got to hear about it when they get a sack.”

– You don’t see a lot of instances when players get both the strip and the fumble recovery on the same play, but the Raiders had it happen twice with rookies against the Bengals. The last one, by Myers, was set up the winning points. Myers said the game was televised at his home in Iowa so friends and family got to see it, and he’s been fielding texts and phone calls ever since.

“It just happens so fast,” Myers said. “I was on the backside and I saw (Caldwell) cutting back, and I was just trying to make a play and luckily fell into it.”

Myers said it was the first strip and recovery of his career, including college, where he played special teams, and high school, where he played defense.

On the first series of the fourth quarter, with the Bengals up 17-10 and poised to go up by two touchdowns, defensive tackle Desmond Bryant stripped fullback Jeremi Johnson and recovered the fumble at the 14-yard line.

“It just worked out that way,” Bryant said. “I reached out to tackle him, I didn’t know if I was going to get him or not, but the ball came out, it was laying on the ground, I was looking at it and I thought to myself, `I ought to grab that.’ So I picked it up. It was pretty awesome to have that much of an impact.”

– It’s only one win, but to Murphy, beating the Bengals has created a Tsunami effect.

“I hope we can just keep riding this tidal wave,” Murphy said.

– Cable’s biggest concern are the big plays which the Raiders surrendered _ a 61-yard run by Bernard Scott, a galling 23-yard screen pass on third-and-22 to Scott, a 30-yard pass to Chad Ochocinco, a 15-yard reverse to Caldwell and a 40-yard pass play to Laveranues Coles.

“The big play is really an Achilles’ heel for us right now, something that has to be addressed,” Cable said. “Big plays are caused by a breakdown, a lapse by an individual, a missed tackle, getting out of the gap, blowing a coverage, something like that.

“When you take the big plays out of it, we’ve improved dramatically defensively. But it’s also cost us. We have to really put attention to that.”

– Cable wasn’t about to get into assessing Gradkowski as a potential longterm NFL starter along the lines of other off-the-beaten-path quarterbacks such as Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme and Jeff Garcia.

“I think Bruce did a good job yesterday, and we need him to do a good job again this week,” Cable said. “This will all sort itself out. To make statements like that right now would be ludicrous. Right now, as I said when I made the change, he is our best chance to succeed, so we’re going to keep riding it, keep pushing it, try to get better as a team. How it all turns out, time will tell.”

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

AIG needs a bailout

(Ba-doosh)

• 4evaRaider

yep play-action away from Ware and some draws right at him and we can take this one too,imo

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

I wonder what Alisgod will change his handle to next?

Wifebeatersaregods?

• Richochet

# Dakota Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 1:39 pm

alisgod Says:
    November 3rd, 2009 at 8:37 am

20 yrs ago I backhanded my ex-wife in the car during an argument.
    _____________________________________

AIG (f.k.a. Alisgod),

I almost forgot about this, lol…you too are an admitted wife-beater…no wonder you are so sensitive about the subject of Tom Cable and wife-beating, lol

AIG is a wife beating puzzy but wants to judge me for being a Lakers’ fan when Kobe never admitted to or was found guilty of any sort of rape?

LMFAO

You are a joke buddy and you have been exposed.
    ==============================
    oh..THAT’S RIGHT….yep…ROFLMFAO..I remember that.

Damn…talk about crash and burn.

First, as I recall, it was “backhanded his wife”
    Then was “well, she was a lowdown ho, who was pulling a train with every guy within 10 blocks, and her family “probably” would have thanked me for beating her”
    THEN..he started backtracking like a lying ass, stating how she hit him with her shoe, and gave him permanent mental damage…oh..LOL..and then stated “but we’re good buddies”

That was that sorry joke, wasn’t it? Thanks for bringing that up..

OH WAIT..isn’t he the same one who posted he doesn’t work? That he sits on his ass, at home, all day, while his wife works?

Yep..I think so :)

You should have changed your name to “IamAsorryExcuseForA-Man”, Aig.

Fits ya.

• aig

La Kotex,

Yup I did it. Nothing to worry about since I told you guys about it to prove a point. It doesnt make me a better man. But I does make me puke at guys like you who acts mighty highty but yet worship a guy that pays off his Rape Accuser. You having a little tough time dealing with that fact as I can see. Just because a rich person pays off to quiet the case doesnt mean they are innocent. La Kotex, I’m sorry I ruined your image of Billy Idol Bryant.

oh btw, i slapped my wife again last nite. She was on her knees, turned around and asked me to spank her cuz she been a bad girl.

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

Didn’t Karl Malone accuse Kobe of hitting on his wife or something like that?

• Richochet

Prove a point? You proved you’re a lying piece of crap, who’s too stupid to remember his own lies.

Proved that you’re an unemployed loser, sitting at home.

Proved you’ll step up and throw down..AS LONG AS IT’S AGAINST A WOMAN.

Against men? YOU ALREADY ADMITTED YOU RUSH TO CROSS THE STREET.

You’re a coward, a loser, and a worm.

• aig

No Koby acted tough about Karl Malone hitting on his wife. But Koby was no where tough when he settled his rape lawsuit. He could have easily do whta Big Ben is doing … but no, i’m rich. let me pay you off so that the millions of people like LaKotex can continue to worship me.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Vegas,

I think Malone said he was out hunting little mexican girls or something like that to Kobe’s wife.

• aig

Richochet,

It’s nice of you to mention how tough you are but refusing to show up at the colisem cuz of Silver n Mac’s friends but to mock me when I say this is not a good place to be and lets get out of here. Real nice and tough of you bro.

• 4evaRaider

yep prolly while he was out “delivering” the male =)

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

That’s right it was the Mailman, lol.

I knew there was something. I miss Karl and his denim suits.

• 4evaRaider

lot of stone throwers a lot of em

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Guys, isn’t it amusing when a guy that only has the courage to hit a woman sits around questioning the toughness of others?

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Dakota bombaye !!

• Richochet

Come on, Aig..explain how it is you admit to hitting women, and acting all brave when it’s safe..but admit above that when you get confronted by a guy, you admit to crossing the street to avoid any confrontation, possible.

What does that make you?
    A coward?
    A spineless worm?

Or a scumbag spineless joke of a man, coward?

• Raider Dell

Dakota

Hells Bells

• 4evaRaider

The Monty Python skit where the professional boxer beats the hell out of a lil-o-lady for like 12 rounds LMMFAO !!!!!!!!! In her granny-dress !!!!!lolol

Do I get extra points if an old girlfriend of mine used to kick MY ass?

I never had the heart to whack her back, but still… those sucker punches to my gut were just WRONG!

Instead I just told her ass stank. No wonder I got punched!

• aig

I brought up my example to prove a poitn that when you make 1 mistake in your life in reflex to your woman hitting you … it shouldnt be used to assassinate your character 20 fcking yrs later when they were doing the same thign to Cable. i feel for the man and I can relate to him.

I dont go on here saying I’m a tough guy (richochet). I dont go on here saying that I am highty mighty iwth my morals (LaKotex). I think it is extremely HYPOCRITICAL of you to bash Cable while you worship a guy that paid off a RAPE CASE.

All you Koby Bryant worshippers can worship him for all you want but dont try to be high morals when you know damn well he paid off a rape case.

• 4evaRaider

sounds like you got lucky she didnt sew you 2 the bed,Bo

• Richochet

# aig Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 10:53 am

Dakota Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 10:20 am
    So Clausen’s girlfriend was pushed, and he pushed the guy that did it in defense of his girl. What a bastard! We can’t have that kind of person on our team! We like the wife-beaters, not the girlfriend defenders around these parts!

—————
    Dakotex,

We’ve all been bullied by one idiot or 2 in our lives. It’s how we respond to it you idiot.

I’ve driven down roads with thugs trying to throw bottles at my car. I’ve walked down the road with my wife and gf’s with guys making comments….the thing is I tell them we
    best stay clear of them. They dont talk our language, have our values, nor live in our world…..Only idiots try to challenge other idiots.

It’s how you respond to idiots that makes you an idiot or not.
    ============================
    I love it, lol

Aig: “we best stay clear of them. Only idiots try to challenge other idiots”.

and the topper?? “thugs” ROFLMAO….yeah, Aig, everyone is a “thug”

• Richochet

Ahh..you don’t come on saying YOU’RE a tough guy? All the while asking over and over when am I going to go challenge Smac?
    And then you stupidly mention that YOU think it’s extremely HYPOCRITICAL?

You state anyone who looks for violence is an idiot, while you repeatedly challenge ME to look for violence? lol

How can you be this stupid?

And Kobe? YOU BROUGHT UP KOBE, you idiot. You were getting slapped down like a defenseless child, and you state ‘oh, well…uh…you’re a laker fan..and Kobe is on the lakers”.

Means your sorryass had NOTHING, so you ran to that, trying to hang onto something to say.
    Just like you had squat in reply to me, so ran the “oh, why didn’t you go to the coliseum” sorry reply, hoping that also would give you an out.

It didn’t.

Just verified what we all know.

You beat women, and actually proudly state “she deserved it”

You’re unemployed, and are proud of that.

Yeah..you’re a real class act.

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

vegas raider Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 1:55 pm
    That’s right it was the Mailman, lol.

I knew there was something. I miss Karl and his denim suits.”

Karl Malone is my cousin by marriage. I have had the opportunity to hang with him on occasion and he is very much the prick that he seems to be. He did hook my little cousins up with fake Jazz lockers when they were kids but other than that he is a dik.

• DKnight007

After reading the non sense in this thread it amazes me the amount of morons who actually think Al Davis has been doing a GOOD job the last 7 years with his lousy coaching decisions and lousy personnel decisions.

TRUE Raider fans knows what needs to happen to this organization to turn the ship around.

Hey crazy idiot old man Al Davis…..HIRE Mike Holmgren as the GM/Personnel and have him be the new Ron Wolf!

Then HIRE Jim Harbaugh or Jon Gruden as Head Coach and let Holmgren and one those two excellent coaches make the football decisions so they can turn around this miserable franchise you have built the last 7 years so the LOSING will stop!

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

Dakota

Back in Black

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Hells Bells indeed Dell!

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

RaiderDogg Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 2:13 pm
    vegas raider Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 1:55 pm
    That’s right it was the Mailman, lol.

I knew there was something. I miss Karl and his denim suits.”

_______________________

• aig

Richochet,

I merely remind you that while you brag about how you own other people on here and they aer your LAP DOG. yet when they call your bluff, you wilt and citing the coliseum as unsafe for you.

No I dont call La Kotex or you my lap dogs. La Kotex thinks he is tough and mock me for not wanting to endanger my family in my neighborhood. I wanted to remind him that when you live in teh 2nd worst crime city in the US (memphis) you best shut your mouth and move on when idiots and thugs cross you. They dont value life here when they shoot a pizza delivery guy for less than a $100.

Get it? I doubt you do. you jumped in the middle of the argument and didnt know your shyt and began your tough talk calling me names. I thought it would be nice to remind you that you called mac your lap dog and you refused to meet him at the coliseum citing “his friends” as the excuse.

• DKnight007

Which one of you in here is John Herrera or maybe his and Al Davis’lapdog?

Come on….admit it! LOL

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

Dakota Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 2:20 pm
    RaiderDogg Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 2:13 pm
    vegas raider Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 1:55 pm
    That’s right it was the Mailman, lol.

I knew there was something. I miss Karl and his denim suits.”

_______________________

Now if you want to talk about rape…doesn’t the math on some of Karl’s kids’ ages’ equal statutory rape?”

He has more kids than he knows about.

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

Dakota

TNT

• aig

DK.

I doubt there is any Herrera here. just a few hypocrites and tough talking behind the keyboard.

I’m sure some of them thinks their laptop is bigger than my laptop….know what i mean.

I can’t stand hypocrites.

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

I am Mike Taylor

I am also the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and Brobee from Yo Gabba Gabba!

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

AIG,

Haven’t you suffered enough embarrassment for the day? Change your name and come back and try again tomorrow.

Next time come up with another name to call me because using “Dakotex” or similar versions thereof with your new handle will just give you away again.

Oh, and not only are you a wife-beater, we both know you are a troll that changed handles repeatedly before registration, lol.

What else should I expect from a wife-beating puzzy like you?

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

RaiderDogg Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 2:25 pm
    Dakota

TNT
    _______________

oi oi oi

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

DKnight007,

Well, we all know that AIG isn’t Herrera. We all witnessed the fact that Herrera at least had the balls to yell at a small Asian reporter.

AIG only has the balls to slap women.

• aig

Jeez Dakotex,

If I was embarrassed, do you think I would have brought it up in the first place? No that shcyt doesnt define me.

But it is kinda nice for you to trash Cable and I while you worship Koby who PAID OFF HIS RAPE CASE…kinda disengenious no?

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

For a change of pace:

Updated: Nov 24, 2009 5:33 PM EST
    MEXICO CITY (AP) – A NASA astronaut says he wants to help Mexican officials start the country’s first space agency.
    Legislators have set aside 10 million pesos ($775,000) for the Mexican Space Agency in next year’s budget, but the program has not yet been officially established.
    ———————————————
    Anyone volunteer to go into space on their budget.

• raiderspen

I hope Cable thinks more this week of letting Dmac return punts and/or kick offs and implement the “Wildhog” or “WildPirate” or whatever we want to call it. We can beat Dallas!