Cable thought about going for two

More news, notes and quotes (at a better rate of connection speed) Monday and the weekly press conference with coach Tom Cable:

– Cable had two strategic decisions which worked in his favor during the 20-17 win over the Bengals.

First, facing a fourth-and-1 trailing 17-10 at the Oakland 47, Cable was booed for sending in Shane Lechler to punt. The Raiders had failed on a third-and-1 and nearly eight minutes remained in the game.

Lechler punted the Bengals back to the 10-yard line and the Raiders forced a three-and-out.

Oakland got a 12-yard punt return by Johnnie Lee Higgins _ good by the Raiders’ 2009 standards _ only to have Bruce Gradkowski’s deep pass to Louis Murphy intercepted by Johnathan Joseph when the quarterback was hit while throwing. Both Cable and Gradkowski contend a touchdown was there for the taking with better protection.

Later, when the Raiders tied the score when Gradkowski and Murphy ultimately hooked up, Cable’s decision was whether to go for two or send out Sebastian Janikowski to convert the extra point and put the game into overtime.

“We talked about it. My thought was we had battled to get there,” Cable said. “Let’s get to overtime and win it there. If we can get one more drive, I felt like we were getting into a rhythm offensively. I thought we’d be fine, but I did think about.”

Bottom line is he made the right call both times because the scoreboard says so. Strategically, it seems sound from here to put Lechler on the field to pin the Bengals back in their own territory on the first decision, and to trust the way the team had been playing defensively with regard to the second decision.

– Gradkowski had passes batted down at the line of scrimmage by Donata Peko and Frostee Rucker, and his relative lack of height (he’s 6.5 inches shorter than Russell) means he’ll have to look for windows at times instead of throwing over the top.

“I think moving in the pocket can help create lanes for himself,” Cable said. “As offensive linemen, you have to be aware of those things and his physical stature. We have a thing about jumpers and being more aware of it than the week before. Before it was kind of easy because JaMarcus was so much taller than everybody else over the top.”

– Defensive end Jay Richardson got his most extensive playing time because of the injury to defensive end Richard Seymour and responded with his best game with six tackles and a tackle for loss.

“I thought it was a real lift for our team,” Cable said. “Jay has not played a lot because of who he’s playing behind and he was needed yesterday. He stepped up and made some plays.”

Said Richardson: “You want to make sure you step up and do your job. Don’t worry about the added pressure, just do what you do best because we all have different styles up front.”

– The Raiders brought more blitz pressure than at any time since the win over Philadelphia, and Richardson was glad to see it.

“It helps you out because the offensive line has got some other things they’ve got to account for and in doing that they might lose track in what we’re doing up front,” Richardson said. “Blitzing forces them to have to think more, make some checks, and usually they’re going to have a bust.”

Not that he was all that thrilled with having to listen to Branch and Stanford Routt crow about their pass rushing skills.

“I’d rather us get the sacks up front, the defensive linemen,” Richardson said. “I’m always happy for the guys, but you’ve got to hear about it when they get a sack.”

– You don’t see a lot of instances when players get both the strip and the fumble recovery on the same play, but the Raiders had it happen twice with rookies against the Bengals. The last one, by Myers, was set up the winning points. Myers said the game was televised at his home in Iowa so friends and family got to see it, and he’s been fielding texts and phone calls ever since.

“It just happens so fast,” Myers said. “I was on the backside and I saw (Caldwell) cutting back, and I was just trying to make a play and luckily fell into it.”

Myers said it was the first strip and recovery of his career, including college, where he played special teams, and high school, where he played defense.

On the first series of the fourth quarter, with the Bengals up 17-10 and poised to go up by two touchdowns, defensive tackle Desmond Bryant stripped fullback Jeremi Johnson and recovered the fumble at the 14-yard line.

“It just worked out that way,” Bryant said. “I reached out to tackle him, I didn’t know if I was going to get him or not, but the ball came out, it was laying on the ground, I was looking at it and I thought to myself, `I ought to grab that.’ So I picked it up. It was pretty awesome to have that much of an impact.”

– It’s only one win, but to Murphy, beating the Bengals has created a Tsunami effect.

“I hope we can just keep riding this tidal wave,” Murphy said.

– Cable’s biggest concern are the big plays which the Raiders surrendered _ a 61-yard run by Bernard Scott, a galling 23-yard screen pass on third-and-22 to Scott, a 30-yard pass to Chad Ochocinco, a 15-yard reverse to Caldwell and a 40-yard pass play to Laveranues Coles.

“The big play is really an Achilles’ heel for us right now, something that has to be addressed,” Cable said. “Big plays are caused by a breakdown, a lapse by an individual, a missed tackle, getting out of the gap, blowing a coverage, something like that.

“When you take the big plays out of it, we’ve improved dramatically defensively. But it’s also cost us. We have to really put attention to that.”

– Cable wasn’t about to get into assessing Gradkowski as a potential longterm NFL starter along the lines of other off-the-beaten-path quarterbacks such as Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme and Jeff Garcia.

“I think Bruce did a good job yesterday, and we need him to do a good job again this week,” Cable said. “This will all sort itself out. To make statements like that right now would be ludicrous. Right now, as I said when I made the change, he is our best chance to succeed, so we’re going to keep riding it, keep pushing it, try to get better as a team. How it all turns out, time will tell.”

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

later gents. back to work

carpe diem!

• TrueRaider

RaiderRockstar

Where did u hear that?

• Canadian Raider

There no room for racists on this site or any other they are next on the list. The Real Monkey Raider or any other racists should kill yourselves right now you are the big problem in every country.

ps

Iam white

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

If I was Kobe, I would not take the stand either. I would have followed the advice of my attorney. That advice was not to be a fool and try to defend myself in a kangaroo court.

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

Dakota Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 11:18 am
    Dogg, looks like they play this coming Saturday at the W’s.

But I understand about avoiding that bet…come up with something and I’ll let you know.”

Now that Jackson is gone to a contender(smiling) the W’s have been coming together more as a team. Not quite ready to put anything on them though.

How about a bet regarding the next coach of the Bills? Wait, I lost the last bet on a coaching job.

We will have to wait to see what arises…

• aig

Da Kotex,

Dakota Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 11:15 am
    Viewing the team through short-sighted rose colored glasses after every win is not. Just my opinion and I express it. If you don’t like it tough schit.

——————\\

Rose colored glasses? I mean the fact that you bash Cable for settling a domestic dispute yet you let Koby Bryant off for settling a Rape Lawsuit.

I’m sorry which colored glasses are you referring to?

Punked again. Please stfu already.

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Yes, O.J. was acquited legally. He is currently looking for the murderer in the Penal System. Clever getting busted to follow the leads.

Alisgod,

Kobe did take a stand. He stood up on live TV and announce he cheated on his wife but didn’t rape anyone. Then he hired defense counsel that demonstrated to the prosecutor that the woman had zero credibility and had sperm remnants in her panties from the entire Colorado National Guard AND the Denver Nuggets!

The criminal case was DISMISSED after the lying woman was discredited got what she wanted…a little money.

Welcome to the American system of jurisprudence.
    Tom Cable is an ADMITTED wife-beater.

• TrueRaider

Yow Canadian Raider

please dont call any black man monkey, that derogatory term, I am black and I feel you disrespecting all blacks when you call anyone else monkey. Either take the high road or diss him the way he disses you. Keep it real if you not a racist.

• TrueRaider

Barcelona vs Inter a nice game

Hey Raiderdogg where did you hear A.I is going to the kings?

• http://Raiders.com RaiderTW

AIG,

By the way, OJ was found to be responsible for the death of his ex and that guy…in civil court. So what is your point?

Cable admitted to being a wife beater to the entire world…or didn’t you catch that little story?

• 4evaRaider

I didnt know Ohio was in Eastern Europe

TrueRaider Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 11:31 am
    Yow Canadian Raider

______________________________

Ignorant little Canadian flea doesn’t understand what racism is…he is currently repeating 3rd grade. Alternative school and short busses are in his future, so don’t take what he has to say to heart.

“The Polish Cannon and the Polish Pistol” LMFAO!

I bet we have not been higher than #21 in the Power Rankings since 2003.

Go Cable! Keep up the good work!

• DKnight007

After reading the non sense in this thread it amazes me the amount of morons who actually think Al Davis has been doing a GOOD job the last 7 years with his lousy coaching decisions and lousy personnel decisions.

TRUE Raider fans knows what needs to happen to this organization to turn the ship around.

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

TrueRaider Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 11:32 am
    Barcelona vs Inter a nice game

Hey Raiderdogg where did you hear A.I is going to the kings?”

It was Rockstar who mentioned that about A.I.

I have a hard time believing that A.I. would be content in Sacramento, but you never know.

New topic.

Would you trade McFelldown for:

A) The rights to Oren O’Neal
    B) The rights to Todd Marinovich
    C) The NFL rights to Allen Iverson
    D) The rights to Tony Mandarich
    E) The copyright to the phrase “Oh, Snap!”

• aig

La Kotex,

your boywonder Koby Bryant, an accused Rapist who was rich enough to buy people off, settled in a CIVIL SUIT. If he was man enough, he would dare challenged her in the Civil Suit.

You see Big Ben. Yeah last that I checked he sued the accuser and willing to take it all the way. I guess big Ben could have “settled” it too.

So for all your bashing of Cable and highty Mighty Morals…sorry but settling a “civil” case of rape is not a sign of innocence.

ExLAseasonticketholder, my point is Koby didnt have to worry about being in a Kangaroo Court for criminal charges. All he had to worry about was his reputation in Civil Court, and he paid her off. He could have done what Big Ben did but nope he didnt. The only reason why he is not roasted is because he score points. If it was JR, then you all would have roasted him too.

• DKnight007

RaiderDogg Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 10:45 am
    KoolKell

This is what I was talking about yesterday:

^^^^^^^^
    Hey crazy idiot old man Al Davis…..HIRE Mike Holmgren as the GM/Personnel and have him be the new Ron Wolf!

Then hire Jim Harbaugh or Jon Gruden as Head Coach and let them make the football decisions and turn around this miserable team you have built so the LOSING will stop!

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 11:53 am
    New topic.

Would you trade McFelldown for:

A) The rights to Oren O’Neal
    B) The rights to Todd Marinovich
    C) The NFL rights to Allen Iverson
    D) The rights to Tony Mandarich
    E) The copyright to the phrase “Oh, Snap!””

Iverson was an amazing football player in High School. Let him run the wildcat.

• Trolls 35 Raiders 0

Main Entry: racist
    Part of Speech: adjective
    Definition: bigoted
    Synonyms: anti-Semitic, biased, illiberal, intolerant, narrow-minded, opinionated, partial, prejudiced, sectarian, small-minded, xenophobic
    Main Entry: racist
    Part of Speech: noun
    Definition: bigot
    Synonyms: anti-Semite, black supremacist, chauvinist, diehard, doctrinaire, fanatic, klansperson, opinionated person, prejudiced person, sectarian, segregationist, sexist person, white supremacist, xenophobe

I :cool: think :idea: that all of you :twisted: who don’t like me :cool: just because I :cool: am a coyote :evil:

• TrueRaider

Man the only team that needs A.I is Bobcats, Iverson and Steven Jackson that would be an offensive team for a defensive minded coach

• aig

Dakota Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 11:34 am
    AIG,

————–

La Kotex,
    Too stupid to even understand the issues huh? They both paid people off. One guy couldnt settle it outside the court and had to be forced to pay. Another guy was richer and was able to pay so that it wont go to court. You want to be innocent? YOu do what Big Ben is doing. Dumba$$

• Trolls 35 Raiders 0

Are racists :!:

Aig,

Obviously you are ignorant of the law if you think a settlement in a civil suit is some sort of an admission.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Tom Cable is an admitted wife beater, but that is not why he will be fired after this season…being a schyt HC is why he will be fired.

• aig

LaKotex,

you’re obviously naive to think that a settlement is a sign of innocence. Sorry but poor people who can’t afford an attorney are railroaded into a settlement are the only ones I have ever read about that were truly innocent.

Rich people who can afford the best and greatest attorneys in the country settles only when they want to hide a conviction.

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

aig Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 12:10 pm
    LaKotex,

__________________

Who told you that, John Grisham? lol What we know for certain is that the criminal charges against Kobe were dismissed.

However, we do know for certain that tom Cable admitted to beating his wife…that is a fact jack.

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

vegas raider Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 12:13 pm
    Lakers are going down Saturday. I’d like to hire that kid in Indiana to find Pau Gasol at a bar.”

I always knew I liked you Vegas

Hey Alisgod,

Why did you change your handle to AIG?

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

Kobe may not have been guilty, but he banged a stupid teenager, what less than a year after getting married? Than threw Shaq under the bus to the cops.

I can be a roach and even I didn’t do that to my wife.

Kobe = Scumbag

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

The racism in here doesn’t surprise me. When you’ve got a football team that’s been this bad for 7 straight years, it sure as hell doesn’t attract a smart fan base….

vegas raider Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 12:13 pm
    _________________

Better put a hit out on Bynum, Artest and Odom too if you want the Ws to win lol.

• 4evaRaider

jump off the bus Gus

• http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/floresrd508/mcfaddenball.jpg SouthTexasRaider

well well well
    how are my nation brothers doing. been a long time for me, i get it this site from my phone but cant seem to log in. feels good to get a win no matter how we got it. hopefully ill be in dallas tomorrow afternoon.
    whats up dakota, hope you been good bro. you and a hand full of others are the only originals on here…too many aka’s now

RAIDER FAHQIN NATION BABY!

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

The NBA’s a joke. Just sloppy basketball. This Laker team would get demolished by the Shaq team that won 3 straight. Just smashed. It’s not even the same league. If the Celtics stay healthy, they’ll win it again anyway. They’re the best team in the league in this era. They just got killed with injuries last year.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Pujols won the MVP…I can’t wait until they bust him for HGH or roids.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Hey STR, long time! Hope everything is going well for you!

Big game against Dallas for you being that most of your family is Cowgirl fans right?

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

So as a quick follow-up, me and the wife are having issues trying to have a baby. I smoke a lot of grass, she is 39 years old. Chances are fairly slim without fertility drugs, but we are trying to stay away for the sake of not having sextuplets.

As I was going off the deep end with Bruce Sunday night, and feeling pretty good with a nice buzz, I told her if we go back and Sunday was “inception” day, the kid will be named Bruce if it is a boy.

She laughed and blew me off, but I will hold her to it.

BBRRRRUUCCCEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bruce Wayne (Vegas Raider) I told her. I’m running with it.

• 4evaRaider

of stately Wayne Manor

• VanHeathen

Let’s take the basketball talk elsewhere,
    just another form of haterism…
    go ride their tip on someother forum, been reading about those d-bags way too long…

• 4evaRaider

Vegas…at the point of inception scream out Gradkowski The Great 3 times while spinning the mrs’s!!!

• 4evaRaider

He really had time 2 throw…a combination of good protection and a speedy delivery…if I was Hackett and Cable even on a short week I would be looking at the 12-17 yard plays to incorporate into the game plan

been good man. one thing though, broke my collar bone real bad and had surgery, so now i got a plate with 9 screws, messed up man.
    big game going on, i have a good amount of money going on with different people. i feel a little better with grads in the mix.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Too much Grey’s Anatomy has reduced your sperm count Vegas.

You must offset the damage from Thursday night TV by watching Braveheart or Mad Max within 48 hours of watching Greys…

…if you watch Private Practice too, well, there is no hope for you.

• Richochet

# aig Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 11:03 am

Dakotex,

Oh btw, I dare you to come to memphis, Tn and act rough around the ghetto here. They shoot a few rounds off once a week in Midtown Memphis. I dare you. Since you so tough and all.

You’re right and you’re a tough guy HIDING BEHIND A KEYBOARD may I add.
    =======================
    ROFLMFAO…that has to be the most pathetic CHALLENGE, EVER.

It wasn’t “I dare you to step up” or “I dare you to get in a finger wagging contest with my mum”..no…AlisgodAwful views “hearing gun shots” as the ultimate fright fest?

ARE YOU SERIOUS? lol…geez…”try and act tough around the ghetto here”??
    What’s that like? You have no idea, do you, Aliscrap?

You’re quivering under your bed every time a car backfires.
    Classic

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

Dakota,

No Private Practice for me, but I got dragged into Trauma as well, LOL.

Bruce’s infectious energy is going to carry the Raiders and my boys. That’s how awesome he is.

STR,

Man that sucks. My dad broke his collarbone real bad in an ATV accident about 7 years ago…he still has to go to PT once in a while.

Bummer man…there goes your MLB career!