Cable thought about going for two

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, November 23rd, 2009 at 5:50 pm in Oakland Raiders.

More news, notes and quotes (at a better rate of connection speed) Monday and the weekly press conference with coach Tom Cable:

– Cable had two strategic decisions which worked in his favor during the 20-17 win over the Bengals.

First, facing a fourth-and-1 trailing 17-10 at the Oakland 47, Cable was booed for sending in Shane Lechler to punt. The Raiders had failed on a third-and-1 and nearly eight minutes remained in the game.

Lechler punted the Bengals back to the 10-yard line and the Raiders forced a three-and-out.

Oakland got a 12-yard punt return by Johnnie Lee Higgins _ good by the Raiders’ 2009 standards _ only to have Bruce Gradkowski’s deep pass to Louis Murphy intercepted by Johnathan Joseph when the quarterback was hit while throwing. Both Cable and Gradkowski contend a touchdown was there for the taking with better protection.

Later, when the Raiders tied the score when Gradkowski and Murphy ultimately hooked up, Cable’s decision was whether to go for two or send out Sebastian Janikowski to convert the extra point and put the game into overtime.

“We talked about it. My thought was we had battled to get there,” Cable said. “Let’s get to overtime and win it there. If we can get one more drive, I felt like we were getting into a rhythm offensively. I thought we’d be fine, but I did think about.”

Bottom line is he made the right call both times because the scoreboard says so. Strategically, it seems sound from here to put Lechler on the field to pin the Bengals back in their own territory on the first decision, and to trust the way the team had been playing defensively with regard to the second decision.

– Gradkowski had passes batted down at the line of scrimmage by Donata Peko and Frostee Rucker, and his relative lack of height (he’s 6.5 inches shorter than Russell) means he’ll have to look for windows at times instead of throwing over the top.

“I think moving in the pocket can help create lanes for himself,” Cable said. “As offensive linemen, you have to be aware of those things and his physical stature. We have a thing about jumpers and being more aware of it than the week before. Before it was kind of easy because JaMarcus was so much taller than everybody else over the top.”

– Defensive end Jay Richardson got his most extensive playing time because of the injury to defensive end Richard Seymour and responded with his best game with six tackles and a tackle for loss.

“I thought it was a real lift for our team,” Cable said. “Jay has not played a lot because of who he’s playing behind and he was needed yesterday. He stepped up and made some plays.”

Said Richardson: “You want to make sure you step up and do your job. Don’t worry about the added pressure, just do what you do best because we all have different styles up front.”

– The Raiders brought more blitz pressure than at any time since the win over Philadelphia, and Richardson was glad to see it.

“It helps you out because the offensive line has got some other things they’ve got to account for and in doing that they might lose track in what we’re doing up front,” Richardson said. “Blitzing forces them to have to think more, make some checks, and usually they’re going to have a bust.”

Not that he was all that thrilled with having to listen to Branch and Stanford Routt crow about their pass rushing skills.

“I’d rather us get the sacks up front, the defensive linemen,” Richardson said. “I’m always happy for the guys, but you’ve got to hear about it when they get a sack.”

– You don’t see a lot of instances when players get both the strip and the fumble recovery on the same play, but the Raiders had it happen twice with rookies against the Bengals. The last one, by Myers, was set up the winning points. Myers said the game was televised at his home in Iowa so friends and family got to see it, and he’s been fielding texts and phone calls ever since.

“It just happens so fast,” Myers said. “I was on the backside and I saw (Caldwell) cutting back, and I was just trying to make a play and luckily fell into it.”

Myers said it was the first strip and recovery of his career, including college, where he played special teams, and high school, where he played defense.

On the first series of the fourth quarter, with the Bengals up 17-10 and poised to go up by two touchdowns, defensive tackle Desmond Bryant stripped fullback Jeremi Johnson and recovered the fumble at the 14-yard line.

“It just worked out that way,” Bryant said. “I reached out to tackle him, I didn’t know if I was going to get him or not, but the ball came out, it was laying on the ground, I was looking at it and I thought to myself, `I ought to grab that.’ So I picked it up. It was pretty awesome to have that much of an impact.”

– It’s only one win, but to Murphy, beating the Bengals has created a Tsunami effect.

“I hope we can just keep riding this tidal wave,” Murphy said.

– Cable’s biggest concern are the big plays which the Raiders surrendered _ a 61-yard run by Bernard Scott, a galling 23-yard screen pass on third-and-22 to Scott, a 30-yard pass to Chad Ochocinco, a 15-yard reverse to Caldwell and a 40-yard pass play to Laveranues Coles.

“The big play is really an Achilles’ heel for us right now, something that has to be addressed,” Cable said. “Big plays are caused by a breakdown, a lapse by an individual, a missed tackle, getting out of the gap, blowing a coverage, something like that.

“When you take the big plays out of it, we’ve improved dramatically defensively. But it’s also cost us. We have to really put attention to that.”

– Cable wasn’t about to get into assessing Gradkowski as a potential longterm NFL starter along the lines of other off-the-beaten-path quarterbacks such as Kurt Warner, Jake Delhomme and Jeff Garcia.

“I think Bruce did a good job yesterday, and we need him to do a good job again this week,” Cable said. “This will all sort itself out. To make statements like that right now would be ludicrous. Right now, as I said when I made the change, he is our best chance to succeed, so we’re going to keep riding it, keep pushing it, try to get better as a team. How it all turns out, time will tell.”

• Richochet

# Dakota Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 12:18 pm

Hey Alisgod,

Why did you change your handle to AIG?
    ====================
    Wouldn’t you?

Al went on record on how Kiffin didn’t want that stud, JR.
    JR is riding the bench.

Al, after a year the running game was ranked 6th, signs McFumbleFalldownFaint, passing on obvious needs.

Al passes on Crabtree, who’s an obvious solid WR, who immediately starting producing after all of 8 days of practice, to sign Bey, who sucks, which made zero sense to the world.

Last 3 first round draft picks are, in many eyes, much closer to being busts than even being adequate.

Even that stupid kid realizes his Alisgod handle makes him look even dumber than he is.

And here we thought that not possible, lol.

• http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll180/floresrd508/mcfaddenball.jpg SouthTexasRaider

yeah it didnt feel good the week i had to wait for surgery either, them pills were good though, lol.

hopefully the cowgirls have another off game as they did with the redskins.
    victory will be sweet and ill have a fat pocket afterwards…

RAIDER FAQHIN NATION!

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Vegas, here is a picture of an ancient fertility god, just print it out and hang it from the ceiling directly above your bed and things will really start cooking:

• UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER

Dakota Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 12:18 pm
    Hey Alisgod,

Why did you change your handle to AIG?
    ==========

he got banned lol

• Richochet

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 12:19 pm

The racism in here doesn’t surprise me. When you’ve got a football team that’s been this bad for 7 straight years, it sure as hell doesn’t attract a smart fan base….
    ==================
    Idiot take from the resident waffle.

YOU run the racist bull****, and now you state you’re not surprised you’re a racist?

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Al is God had to change his name to “AIG” because even he couldn’t type “Al is God” without laughing nearly to death.

LaKotex,

I changed it to AIG because the other name doesnt log on anymore. But I’m the same guy. I dont try to hide who i am.

BTW, there’s a great article in his month about DEA agent Lucas who railroaded a bunch of people in Ohio. When you read shcytt like that, you understand why black people dont trust the law. You understand why they settle. That fcking Moron DEA agent was celebrated as one of the finest agents in the agency…only to be proven as a fraud who railroaded anyone he needed to make his quota. His fcking operation was named “Nigg*rs with Rims”. They targeted black folks with money in poor neighborhood cuz they “had to be dealing drugs”. 2 yrs later it was all a fckign set up by a snitch. No my argument is not based on John Grisham. it is based on real life events…when you get your a$$ out of hillbilly country and actually realize that in Memphis they shot a pizza delivery man for less than a $100. They robbed and killed a man while he was taking grocery from his car to his home. They shot a man while walking his dogs….then you realize that there some people that life to them is worth nothing. Then you realize that sometimes its best to shut your mouth and move on.

I leave you with this and now I move on to clown Richochet.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

I confronted a guy for calling JaMarcus Russell “The black Ryan Leaf”,. and you called me a racist for that, having no criticism whatsoever for the guy unnecessarily using the term “black”. You’re just the kind of racist I’m talking about, Ricochet. When I said that 7 years of losing attracts the worst of the worse, that means you, too.

Richochet,

Silver n Mac challenged your tough bravado to meet him at the Coliseum….

yet I have yet to hear your response to his challenge. You want to own him right?

You want him to be your lap dog right?

Well he said to meet him at the Colisem. Where is yoru response you little biatch?

• UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER

Dakota Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 12:05 pm
    Aig,

Obviously you are ignorant of the law if you think a settlement in a civil suit is some sort of an admission.
    ==============

i don’t think he settled he was found “RESPONSIBLE”
    he never admitted it. but we all know he did it.

Just like cable won’t admitt he’s a bad coach but we all know he is.

• Richochet

aig Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 10:53 am

Dakotex,

We’ve all been bullied by one idiot or 2 in our lives. It’s how we respond to it you idiot.

I’ve driven down roads with thugs trying to throw bottles at my car. I’ve walked down the road with my wife and gf’s with guys making comments….the thing is I tell them we
    best stay clear of them. They dont talk our language, have our values, nor live in our world…..Only idiots try to challenge other idiots.

It’s how you respond to idiots that makes you an idiot or not.
    ======================================
    WAIT!!.

You state “stay clear of them”
    “It’s how you respond to idiots that makes you an idiot or not”..

…but then..you challenge Dakota to “come out to Memphis and see if you’re a badass listening to gunshots, instead of hiding behind a keyboard”

So, in other words, according to YOU, you are an IDIOT.

We finally agree.

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

If we knock around Romo, he will wilt. He always has.

Richocschytt,

you gonna meet Silver n Mac at the Coliseum or not? yes or no please.

• Richochet

# aig Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Richochet,

Silver n Mac challenged your tough bravado to meet him at the Coliseum….

You want him to be your lap dog right?

======================

Mama’s boy…pay attention.

GO LOOK AT MY REPLY, YOU DUMBASS.

I clearly stated that, first off, there is NO GAME this Sunday, but INSTEAD told him I will be at the Englander on parrott st, in San Leandro, on Friday night.

Also asked him what color dress he would be wearing.

THEN REMINDED HIM OF EXACTLY WHERE I’LL BE, dumbass.

He then, conveniently, pretended he now couldn’t be bothered to reply, and quickly left.

Now, back to why is it you soil your pretty pink little panties at the sound of gunfire?

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

aig Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 12:54 pm
    LaKotex,

__________________________

LMAO, for a guy that just spent the day railing against Kobe for settling a civil suit and for not fighting everything in court it sure seems strange to post a link to a story that shows just how a person can be railroaded in the judicial system.

I guess you now understand why some people settle out of court?

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

What a putz, lol.

• UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 12:55 pm
    ==================================

You should change your name to THE REAL TARZAN. as much as you swing of JaFatBoy’s nutz sack.

you were and are WRONG get over it !!!!! you look really stupid when you start trying to bash the team minutes after a win over a 7-2 opponent.

i realy like phillip buchanon when we got him but i was WRONG !! and i admit it.

you should try it it feals refreshing to admit your wrong kind of theraputic…

JaFatBoy sucks like ryan leaf and he happens to be black so i do not feel it would be racist to call him the black ryan leaf . or call ryan leaf the white JaFatBoy.

No LaKotex,

He is not facing a criminal court. He is facing a civil court. Big fcking difference. When Koby can afford the best attorney in the country and yet he settles than you are a fcking naive person with rose colored glasses on here because Koby can score points.

Richochet,

You gonna meet him at the coliseum at the next game or not? ys or no please?

Lakotex,

first you say I get my theories from John Grisham. I slamed in your fcking face with the article on DEA Lucas….now you coming back with another excuse. Those poor black folks settled cuz they couldnt afford an attorney.

Your highty mighty Koby Bryant can afford the best attorney in the country just like Big Ben. Except Big Ben challenges his rape accuser while your billy idol pays off his accuser.

• 4evaRaider

Yep I think our defense can handle there offense and our offense can handle their defense.Even with-out Seymour and better yet with-out Romo.Again ball-control and a rested defense in the 4th and Lechler up our sleeve.This “may” just work the rest of the season

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

AIG

Why don’t you meet Richochet somewhere…you are like the little twerp in class that tries to get other people to fight because he is too scared to fight on his own.

What a vag.

4eva,

so long as Grad doesnt act like Jafumble and Jainterception then we should have a competitive game. The D will do fine so long as we dont break its back with stupid turn overs.

• Richochet

# 4evaRaider Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 6:46 am

Rockstar…I was wondering if you fell of the earth!!!
    ========================
    Translation: I missed you, ya big lug!!

• SharkCatcher

this is basically our superbowl…Get a in front of whole nation. GO Raiders!!!

• 4evaRaider

you see so deeply you do

vegas raider Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 12:30 pm
    So as a quick follow-up, me and the wife are having issues trying to have a baby. I smoke a lot of grass, she is 39 years old. Chances are fairly slim without fertility drugs, but we are trying to stay away for the sake of not having sextuplets.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Hey Vegas, I have a ton of experience in this area – had my only daughter through IVF with an older wife. If you need to discuss let me know.

GOOD LUCK!

• SharkCatcher

*GET A WIN in front of all of America.

• Richochet

# aig Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Richochet,

You gonna meet him at the coliseum at the next game or not? ys or no please?
    ===================
    Are you stupid? Can you read?

POST 514, MORON.

# Richochet Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 1:01 pm

# aig Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Richochet,

Silver n Mac challenged your tough bravado to meet him at the Coliseum….

You want him to be your lap dog right?

======================

Mama’s boy…pay attention.

GO LOOK AT MY REPLY, YOU DUMBASS.

Also asked him what color dress he would be wearing.

THEN REMINDED HIM OF EXACTLY WHERE I’LL BE, dumbass.

Lakotex,

Richochyt wanted to own SilvernMac. SilvernMac will agree to it if Richochyt shows up at the Coliseum. Obvoiusly Richochyt bluffed and got called. Richoshyt talks a lot of smack on here but nothing like being called on your own bluff.

• SharkCatcher

you guys make me laugh challenging each other to fights over the net.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Aig,

I love how you declare victory for yourself while no one gets your back, lol.

The only thing you have done today is show your ignorance of the legal system and then post articles that support your opposition’s contentions, lol.

VICTORY!

lmao

Rackofshyt,
    it’s easy. You act like a tough guy on here and wanted to make SilvernMac your lap dog right? Well meet him at a neutral site. Meet him at the coliseum. If they are not playing there this week then meet him there the next time they play at home. You being a tough guy and all. Yes or no please?

• Richochet

# SharkCatcher Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 1:17 pm

this is basically our superbowl…Get a in front of whole nation. GO Raiders!!!
    =============
    Playing Dallas?
    the cowboys?

Dallas is playing like crappola. How do you view Dallas as the top of the mountain? They’re barely the top of Alisgod’s pimple.

La Kotex,

I love how you bash a wife beater but worship a rapist.

Rackoflambs,

Coliseum… yes or no?

• djohnnyg

The only person to thank for Sundays victory is one “Mr. Allan H. Davis”; disrespectfully referred to here as ‘Al’.

Mr. Davis is the E.F. Hutton of NFL. When he talks “people listen”, and oh how we listen; with rapt attention to a genius who’s knowledge and expertise have only ripened with age.

We hang on each word “The Master” utters, as though it is coming from a Divine source; well in fact it IS of divine origin.

Mere humans may try to comprehend “The Master” and his wisdom, but only an elite and precious few are able to. Those that do are indeed blessed with a precious gift; the gift of true understanding of “The Master” and his ways.

It may be difficult to ascertain “The Master” and His machinations of superior achievement, but we try;oh how we try, and with time the truths “The Master” reveals will be seen and finally appreciated for the eternal wisdom they are clothed with.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Which convicted or admitted rapist would that be Alisgod?

• Richochet

# aig Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 1:19 pm

Rackofshyt,
    =======================
    So Dakota is right.
    YOU don’t have the balls to basically do anything, but you’ll jump in on someone else’s challenge?

Do you not realize that makes you everyone’s biotch? lol…damn..are you always this slow?

Neutral site? The Englander IS A NEUTRAL SITE, you stupid fool. Approaching someone at HIS tailgate, surrounded by friends, isn’t. You needed to be told that? Again, when you get older? You’ll look back on these days and state two things…first “Damn, I sure was a puzzy” and “They were right, I did look dumber than cotton”.

Then you’ll wonder when you won’t.

But that’s another story.

Tell you what..you need directions to the Englander? Come on..ask your mom..I’m sure she’ll drive ya.

• aig

hey eveyrone, I’m dakotex. I hate Cable for slapping his wife but hey my billy idol Kobe Bryant paid off a rape case….he’s my idol you know.

• morilla
  • Richochet

# SharkCatcher Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 1:18 pm

you guys make me laugh challenging each other to fights over the net.
    ======================
    It is rather humorous, isn’t it?

the reality?

Those like Smac? Alisgod? When you give them an exact address and time? THEY NEVER SHOW..ever.

It’s a weak bluff because they feel inadequate, and embarrassed, and hope challenging someone will mask the fact thinking on their feet was never their forte’.
    And then they get the double indignity of making excuses on why they got busy/lost/confused/couldn’t be bothered.

Or..like Alisgod..he doesn’t even have the balls to ACT like he’ll show..his little BB size huevos swells at the thought someone ELSE might show, where he can get brave, vicariously, through the other posters.

It’s called Mini-Huevos Syndrome.

Richochet,

so let me get this straight….

you dont want to meet silvernMac at the tailgate party because you dont think it’s a good idea right? Because that’s on his turf right? But it doesnt make you a wzzy right?

So how is that any different from other people who do the exact same thing? Nice one Rachoshyt. I guess silvernMac dont have to worry about you coming after him at the Coliseum. Thanks for letting him off the hook and thanks for proving my point. Case closed.

• TrueRaider

Only way win is if we can stop the run and force Dallas to pass, Landry the saftey from Redskins said Roy Williams is scared to run in the middle, shut down Austin and blitz Romo like we did to Palmer and McNabb, we have a chance to stop their defense.

Offensively, Henderson vs Demarcus Ware will be key match. Also Satele vs Ratliff, our OL needs to play physical run the ball control the play clock we leace BG with 3 n short which he can get it through his hands or legs. Dallas allowed over 100 yards rushing last week to Redskins without portis n Betts. Play caling will be essential but I feel we have a good chance wining especially with BG starting over Russell

Richochet Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 1:25 pm
    Approaching someone at HIS tailgate, surrounded by friends, isn’t.
    ————–

Thanks for proving my point. You go guy. You da best.

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

I am much more scared about Ratliff vs Satele, than Ware vs Henderson.

Mario has yet to have an awful game, he gets a penalty here and there and his man beats him every once in awhile, but he holds it down on his side. Very very solid player.

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

BSJ,

Appreciate it man, I may seek your counsel another time.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

alisgod Says:
    November 3rd, 2009 at 8:37 am

20 yrs ago I backhanded my ex-wife in the car during an argument.
    _____________________________________

AIG (f.k.a. Alisgod),

I almost forgot about this, lol…you too are an admitted wife-beater…no wonder you are so sensitive about the subject of Tom Cable and wife-beating, lol

AIG is a wife beating puzzy but wants to judge me for being a Lakers’ fan when Kobe never admitted to or was found guilty of any sort of rape?

LMFAO

You are a joke buddy and you have been exposed.

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Nice memory and research Dakota. K.O.

• Richochet

# aig Says:
    November 24th, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Richochet,

so let me get this straight….

RICHOCHET: No dumbass, that makes me smart. Who, in their right mind, is going to approach someone surrounded by friends, and take on him AND a handful of friends? lol..you little mama’s boy needed that explained?
    Hell..YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I’M TALKING ABOUT.

YOUR IDEA OF A CHALLENGE? Was for someone to come to the ghetto where you live and “DARED HIM TO COME AND LISTEN TO THE COUPLE OF ROUNDS SHOT OFF EACH WEEK”..as if that just scared the hell out of you.

Yes, LMFAO that your sorryass already copped to the fact you RUN TO THE OTHER SIDE OF THE STREET..probably pizzing your pants..at just the idea of those “big scary guys standing there”.

You’re a wimp..an ADMITTED MAMA’S BOY..an ADMITTED COWARD.

Yeah, YOUR WORDS.

And look? lol You aren’t talking about YOU doing anything..you just want to stay behind your mommy’s dress and watch others.

You ever wonder why many refer to you as a worm?
    Now you know.

OH..wait..did you need directions to The Englander?

Yeah, coward, didn’t think so.