No time to celebrate

With a Wednesday trip to Dallas and a date with the Cowboys on Thanksgiving, there was little time for the Raiders to bask in the glory of their remarkable 20-17 win over the Bengals.

Who knows? Maybe the condensed week will alter whatever chemistry has caused the Raiders to face-plant after their previous two wins. Following a 13-10 win over Kansas City, the Raiders were non-competitive in a 23-3 loss to the Denver Broncos.

Then, after a stirring 13-9 win over the Philadelphia Eagles, coach Tom Cable went out his way to refute the notion that the Raiders didn’t know how to handle success, fully expecting someting special against the New York Jets.

Final score: Jets 38, Raiders 0.

Combined score following wins: Opponents 61, Raiders 3.

“You know, it couldn’t hurt. If it’s something different, hopefully we can make it an advantage coming in,” defensive end Jay Richardson said. “I think it’ll be fine.”

Richardson was at a loss to explain the post-win flops.

“I don’t know the formula for that not happening,” Richradson said. “All I know is the bottom line is we have to have a quick turnaround this week. We’ve got Dallas in 72 hours, or whatever, we got to go there on Thanksgiving, and I don’t think we really have time to sit around relishing the victory.

`Today we’ve got a practice, which I know some guys aren’t thrilled about, but we’ve got to get ready to go.”

The Raiders haven’t played on Thanksigving since 1970 against the Detroit Lions. Playing on Thursday alters the normal routine players use to recover physically and be ready the following Sunday.

“You’re not quite back to where you want to be but really we take pretty good care of our bodies this week in practice,” tight end Zach Miller said. “We won’t be doing as much this week as we normally do. You’re pretty good by the time you get to game time. If you get any ding though that’s tough to get back from in such a short time.”

Most prominent among the “dinged” players is defensive end Richard Seymour, who left the Bengals game after the first series with a lower back strain and did not return.

“I just talked to him a little bit, he said he just tweaked something back there, so I’m hoping he’s ready to go,” Richardson said. “We know we need him, so hopefully he’ll be ready to roll. If not, I’ll do what I do.”

Linebacker Isaiah Ekejiuba , who also didn’t finish the game with a knee injury, said he was awaiting results of an MRI, but sounded optimistic.

More following Cable’s Monday press conference . . .

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 1:00 pm
    True Raider, the point is, we changed the playbook for Gradkowski, giving him more throws to the running back. Why not the changes for Russell?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Show the blog where the truth is in this statement?
    what proof do you have the playbook was changed?
    Those passes to me to the RB’s look like checkdowns.

Black Ryan Leaf has zero touch, and cant hit ANYONE in stride, and most of the time throws all over the place.

Black ryan Leaf doesnt know half of the playbook, and only sees half the field. Any more info would cause a cranium meltdown for BRL….

Mr I am waiting for your answers Bruh….

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

But Kell, we’re 2 games behind the 2nd runner up! And we “earned” our victory yesterday! So don’t be so negative! Later, Kell. Have fun with these clowns.

• Richochet

# jhill Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Ok, let’s make it easier.
    List Russell’s attributes that say he SHOULD be the starting qb.

NO, not “if he does so and so” or “once he puts in more effort he can blah blah”..now…today…what are Russell’s pluses??

I honestly can’t think of a one…not a single one.

——————————————————-

I can’t think of one either. He’s not ready mentally or physically.
    =================
    Exactly.
    And worse yet, in his 1 1/2 years behind center, it’s tough to even say JR has a better grasp of defenses, or that he is more comfortable going through the reads.
    You add in that he has horrible touch on the ball, footwork is atrocious, seemingly no pocket awareness, and that basic fundamentals need work, it seems he is going to have a tough climb to ever get to a lofty status

• jhill

Ok, let’s make it easier.
    List Russell’s attributes that say he SHOULD be the starting qb.

——————————————————-

The really sad thing is you can substitute “starting qb” above and put in Head Coach, WRs coach, RBs coach, starting WRs, starting RT, starting MLB, and A LOT of other positions on this team.

List Cable’s attributes and tell me why he should be the HC, OC, and playcaller, lol!

• Canadian Raider

MR who are you to tell people to work on their brains. Your the dumbest football fan in North America. Do us a favour and go to the golden gate bridge and jump. Your wasting space on this planet moron.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

So Bo, why can’t he just call Russell another Ryan Leaf? Why does he have to call him the “black Ryan Leaf”? Surely we’re trying to move on from race issues in this country, aren’t we? That’s what we say to the Al Sharptons and Jessie Jacksons. Get over it, it’s in the past, let’s head into the future. How can we do that when people are using phrases like, “the black Ryan Leaf”? Seems to me you just want black people to get beyond racism. You have no intention of doing so.

See you guys later.

KoolKell Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:23 pm
    Thec07

When was the last time the Raiders developed a QB they drafted?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    1970′s with The one and only,
    Kenny The Snake Stabler…. My favorite QB of all time….

• TrueRaider

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:21 pm

True Raider, like I said earlier. Read. Get smart. Work on your brain. The cyber tough guy act is for 12 year olds. Are you 12? Read books. Work out your mind. Get that muscle in tact.
    =====================================================

Brains, you cant be serious? You asked for quote I gave it to you. I am still waiting for what I asked for since an hour, tell me which plays, mins and quarters? Here is the link again. All I am asking is you to respect those who give you respect, if not, lets meet up and I show you what I can do. Tell me one time I disrespected for you to say some of the stuff that you said yesterday. Thank you, I act like man and you act like a child, so who is 12 now?

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

Thec07 Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:26 pm
    KoolKell Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:23 pm
    Thec07

When was the last time the Raiders developed a QB they drafted?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    1970’s with The one and only,
    Kenny The Snake Stabler…. My favorite QB of all time….
    —————————–
    So, in other words, the Raiders aren’t very good at developing QB’s then, right?

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:26 pm

See you guys later.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Until you start paying my living expenses, and all my bills, and give me around 5 grand spending money a month no way in hell I will let you a semi professional blogger who is hated tell me how and what to say…..

When you come back whipping boy, I will still want answers to my questions. You need to stay off the strong drink… Psychopath…

• Raider Dell

Dakota

hells bells #2

• jhill

——————————————————

The most frustrating thing about this is it shouldn’t be a “job” to come to work. Playing QB in the NFL? This HAS to be his dream. How can you give off the perception (I say this b/c I haven’t seen him in person) that you are out of shape? It’s a kid’s game, man! How can it be considered work to be at the Raiders facility. They would literally have to kick me out of the building. My wife and kids would know where I am, and would probably be helluva involved too. $60 million? ???? It’s really offensive!

KoolKell Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:27 pm
    Thec07 Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:26 pm
    KoolKell Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:23 pm
    Thec07

When was the last time the Raiders developed a QB they drafted?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    1970’s with The one and only,
    Kenny The Snake Stabler…. My favorite QB of all time….
    —————————–

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Kool, MR Davis cant develop anything…

• Thec07

Sorry Kool I am wrong, Mr. Davis can develop the worlds worst sports franchise… an embarrasment, and a laughingstock to all of sports…

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

Thec07 Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:30 pm
    KoolKell Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:27 pm
    Thec07 Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:26 pm
    KoolKell Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:23 pm
    Thec07

When was the last time the Raiders developed a QB they drafted?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    1970’s with The one and only,
    Kenny The Snake Stabler…. My favorite QB of all time….
    —————————–

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Kool, MR Davis cant develop anything…
    —————————-
    You might consider that during your virulent anti-Russell rants.

• TrueRaider

Richochet

I said that in the previous blog and a guy in here said, that I am comparing 34th to 35th QB in the league.

# Richochet Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:23 pm

# jhill Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Ok, let’s make it easier.
    List Russell’s attributes that say he SHOULD be the starting qb.

I honestly can’t think of a one…not a single one.

——————————————————-

I can’t think of one either. He’s not ready mentally or physically.
    =================
    Exactly.

• jhill

I’m trying to stay positive about this guy, but you guys are making it kinda hard. I was once 24, and was pretty wild. I didn’t have an ounce of responsibilty now that I look back on it. Stayed out until 5 am knowing I had to be to work the next day. Made it to work and slept at my desk when I could get away with it. I was LUCKY to not get fired or caught up. No excuses, but I could just imagine being 24 with millions and acting a fool. Then again, I think there would have been too man people around me to make sure I didn’t fugg off 60 million $, lol! I could see my Moms or sister moving in with me whether I wanted it or not!

KoolKell Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:21 pm
    Thec07 Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:11 pm

BRL, could grasp the playbook, and Gannon said it best they cut the field in half for the moron. BRL is an idiot….
    ——————————
    Thec, Russell is an easy fur coated target. I understand that, but no need twist the facts. Gannon was not thrown out of the building for dissing Russell, was he?

The 80yr old GM produces this:
    09′ 3-7
    08′ 5-11
    07′ 4-12
    06′ 2-14
    05′ 4-12
    04′ 5-11
    03′ 4-12

Can you look at the above figures and tell that Russell did not bring this franchise down?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Kell, what are the facts? BRL is fat, overweight, not committed to the playbook, or hasnt learned it. you dont twist the facts by saying i said something i didnt say….I was making a point that gannon said they cut the field in half. WTF does that have to do with him being thown out of the building.

Fact MR. Davis is inept, needs to retire.
    Fact, BRL is not a leader of men.

• NorthernD

You shouldn’t have to develop a QB at the pro level anymore, just fine tune them. They should have a very good understanding of mechanics, offences, defences, who to prepare, etc.
    A team shouldn’t be responsible for doing that. They shouldn’t have to motivate them either. If a player needs to be motivated to play in the NFL, then it’s time to get the heck out.

• TrueRaider

Richochet

This is what I said.

# TrueRaider Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Ok clear difference between Grad and JR.

1) Foot work: Just watch JR footwork compared to Grad this week. I can post two highlights when JR drops back, he clearly lacks the mechanics that Grad has.JR seems out of the pocket, scared and clearly can’t play under center. His tds came from Shotgun position.

2)Accuracy: Remember M Vick when he had R White and Jenkins they were dropping the balls left n right, everybody said Vick didnt have a number 1 wide receiver well, Matt Ryan comes in and makes White a pro bowler, why? When you throw the ball, you gotta know how much zip you let it have, JR doesn’t know that. Besides he misses open wrs, he doesn’t sees open targets downfield and by the time he makes his decision, coverage looks down on the Wrs. Grad reads plays better and clearly didnt miss any open receiver yesterday. Besides, short passes is his speciality which JR lacks.

3) Pocket Presence: JR doesnt command the huddle, Grad clearly inspires his offense. Grad is not afraid of taking that hit, JR gets rid of the ball or holds to the ball too long, there is no balance in his plays.

4) Leadership and accountability: Enough said in this topic.

5) Playbook: Listen to all analysts, they said JR can read half the field, he didnt know how to lineup his offense in the start of the game, he clearly needs to put on the work. Grad is a complete QB right now better and more equipped to lead this team. I didnt even state all the work ethic and other stuffs about JR, just facts.

• slvrnblaktilidi

Wow MaddenRaider you are not a fan. No one and I repeat no one cares that you say you are an insider. I have seen the blogs for months now and you are always negative. Why are the words of analysts, media, and players’ attitudes of Jruss not enough for you. Do you see anyone on here saying that Bruce starting in place of JR is a good thing? Even the great Al davis has given up on him for the remainder of the season. The guy may wake up and finally work hard, study, and care, but if he does not we at least have someone who can win games. What is wrong with you? Gannon was no great qb until the raiders. And he took us to three straight afc west crowns, numerous playoff wins, and superbowl. If you think jr is so good why dont you post on the jr website or the 9er website or whatever. Keep your negative comments to yourself and go have your bromance with jr somewhere else. The nation, real raider fans, have spoken!

• jhill

TrueRaider Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:33 pm

Richochet

——————————————————-

That’s not true. I said you were making some good points about Russell, but you were going overboard using Grads as a comparison. The offense was NOT better yesterday. It just wasn’t. The defense was lights out in the Red Zone and that’s why we won.

You did not simply say Russell does not deserve to be the starter, you also tried to pump up Gradkowski like he had something to do with the win. All his fire and passion still produced 50% completion, 2 turnovers, under 200 yds passing, and only TEN points with less than a minute to go in the game.

Thank GOD for Marquis and that fumble he came up with on STs yesterday.

KoolKell Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:21 pm

You might consider that during your virulent anti-Russell rants.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Kell, check the records, before you tell me what I should and should not consider. you assumption that I have not has no base or merit. Check my past comments.
    Check my history ou will know not to assume something outlandish like that bro, you do know what assume means right?

Kell question for you Bruh, how has BRL endeared himself to this team?

• Richochet

# jhill Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:30 pm

——————————————————

============================
    I agree.

“PLAYING” qb..all that money to play? To do something that guys get together and do for fun in the mud..amazing when someone who’s handed the key to the bank actually comes across as viewing it as a job.

Life expectancy of an NFL qb isn’t all that long. You would think that, given the chance, you would put in every possible available second, knowing it could end on an given play.

Immature definitely comes to mind, and this is the wrong profession to come across as immature, especially with a 60 million contract on the table.

• NorthernD

slvrnblaktilidi Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:39 pm
    ===============================
    He’s just winding you up.

• http://Raiders.com RaiderTW

True Raider, Thec, if you really get to MR challenge him about being a Raider fan AT ALL! Hahahaha, you should have seen him on Sunday just begging the Raiders to get beat then he wouldn’t accept that they won!!?!?!? What kinda fan is that? He’s a douch3 who just wants to rile everybody up. He can’t even enjoy the Raiders winning, that’s not a fan of this team!

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

Raider Dell Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:29 pm
    Dakota

hells bells #2″

I know someone that wants the AC/DC box set for Christmas!

Dakota – I need a new hat for Christmas. That Buc hat was thrown into the fire last week in Section D of the Coliseum parking lot. I have to admit, it didn’t take much convincing on my part. I did good though, I kept it up for half of a season! Longer than I expected, especially having to sneakily put that fukker on at halftime. I caught some heat to say the least. I explained a few times that I lost a bet to a friend, but that didn’t stop the sh1t talking. When I had an opportunity to throw that fukker in the fire it felt like redemption. Then not 15 minutes later I had the chance to meet and chat with Jim Plunkett. Very confirming…

KoolKell Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:27 pm
    Thec07 Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:26 pm
    KoolKell Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:23 pm
    Thec07

When was the last time the Raiders developed a QB they drafted?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    1970’s with The one and only,
    Kenny The Snake Stabler…. My favorite QB of all time….
    —————————–

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

QB development, and the QB doing things the right way, or doing things that he is in control of are 2 diffrent things. BRL controlling his weight is whos resposibility as part of HIS development?
    Did Mr. Davis put a gun to his head and force him to eat krispy kreames?
    60 mil for a fat overweight slob….

• jhill

TrueRaider,

All I am saying is I was as excited about this weeks game as anyone. Vegas and I were here chatting it up prior to the game starting. I was VERY positive all the way up until our 3rd drive ended with another punt.

5 plays punt, 2 plays fumble, 3 plays punt.

My last post was “This can’t be happening!”

I started Bush and Schillens thinking the offense would be sparked by mini Garcia.

And I have to tell you that I was PISSED the WHOLE GAME. Even when we scored the go ahead TD, I was like FUGG they only need a FG and have 30 seconds.

I’ve given up on the offense, man! I just hope they get better like you root for your kid in little league. I only have expectations for the defense at this point.

Sorry, I really don’t mean to be negative.

• Stabler76

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    1970’s with The one and only,
    Kenny The Snake Stabler…. My favorite QB of all time….
    —————————–

• slvrnblaktilidi

Madden Raider, Now i see what your problem is thanks to comment #60. You are a racist. Just because JR is black you want him to succeed. Yet you say you are colorblind. Really though you are just pathetic. You probably want obama to succeed and say he is doing well for the same reason.

• Thec07

RaiderTW, dont disagree with MR… He is a well known “semi professional blogger” thinks he is important in a raider blog no less….Amazing…

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

Kell question for you Bruh, how has BRL endeared himself to this team?
    ____________________________
    All I’m saying is that the Raiders have developed exactly 1 QB they’ve drafted in the 50 years of their existence.

I know the Raiders have 6 winning seasons in the last 20 years

I know the Raiders are working on 7 straight double-digit seasons in a row.

So laying all the problems of the Raiders at Russell’s feet is irrational, now matter how good it makes you feel.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

jhill Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:40 pm

…Thank GOD for Marquis and that fumble he came up with on STs yesterday.
    __________________________

Is there a union in Valhalla or something? Why does Marquis only show up once every four or five games to help out?

• jhill

lol @ semi-professional blogger …

• NorthernD

Stabler76 Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:46 pm
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    1970’s with The one and only,
    Kenny The Snake Stabler…. My favorite QB of all time….
    —————————–
    I thought marc Wilson was going to be great one when he came out of BYU. Just turned out to be servicable.
    A lot better than Marinovich though.

• Richochet

# TrueRaider Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Richochet

This is what I said.

# TrueRaider Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 12:54 pm

Ok clear difference between Grad and JR.

RICHOCHET: agree…but honestly, I would venture to say that JR’s footwork might just be the worst of any opening day starter EVER in the NFL. (270-280 lbs will do that to ya)
    #######################

RICHOCHET: What many people “ooooo and ahhhh” about, Russell’s massive arm strength is a negative in many coaches eyes, when you don’t add touch.
    There is a video out of Bill Walsh teaching a qb how to throw the ball (Phil Simms and Montana were involved) where you see Walsh telling the qb ‘No..that’s too hard..throw it softer”..and kept saying that. Simms came away saying ‘I thought I knew what I was doing. I didn’t) Goal was to throw soft balls when ever possible, not rockets. I don’t think JR knows how to throw a soft, easily catchable ball.

#####################

RICHOCHET: JR’s lack of pocket awareness is huge.

#######################

4) Leadership and accountability: Enough said in this topic.

RICHOCHET: No doubt Grab is currently better suited than Russell, the point most make is he’s limited, albeit better than the present JR.
    It’s like Garcia.
    Almost EXACTLY like Garcia.

Team sees a immobile qb get killed, sacked, pressured, and constantly going down, or not avoiding the rush..and in steps a scrambler like Garcia or Grab. They’re better than who they replaced, but rarely good enough to get the team to the next level.

It’s the “all we have, for now” syndrome, knowing the team needs to upgrade.

NorthernD Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:36 pm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Excellent points… NFL QB’s have higher expectations than most other postions, “heard of the old saying thats why they get paid the big bucks”.

todays NFL QB’s are expected to step in and take the lumps on the way to development. Only thing BRL has developed is a bigger cup size for his man boobs..

• rightnasty

And yet, MR couldn’t be happy that the Raiders won yesterday. Nope, he was too busy trying to get somebody, anybody to accept his argument that Russell could have done just as well. Him being right was more important than the Raiders getting a W.

• Thec07

since we dont develop a QB’s who are we going to pick up in FA?

Vick?

• TrueRaider

Jhill

I respect that, sorry for misunderstanding what you said, point well taken but I still feel BG gives this team a new energy and best chance to win then the dumb JA DA Bust

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

God, the only thing good about the past seven seasons is that when this is finally over and we finally turn the corner and enter the mediocre stage, I will be able to temper my anger at the team when we lose by saying…”well, at least we aren’t as bad as we were for those seven years!”

• NorthernD

Developing QB’s has never been the way Davis has run his ship.
    He prefers to bring in veteran QB’s and let them lead the team. The time when he likes to draft QB’s is when he already has a pro-bowl QB as the starter.
    Look at the history. He drafted Stabler when Lamonica was tearing it up. Marc Wilson when Plunkett was on fire. Tui with Gannon. Davis has a pattern.
    He likes to draft the explosive athlete in the draft, and give the QB job to an older vet from another team.
    Hostetler, George, Gannon, Plunkett…the list goes on.

• Richochet

# RaiderTW Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:41 pm

==================
    As entertaining was MR stating over and over, on Saturday, that he guaranteed the Raiders not only wouldn’t win, but that Grab would totally suck, and would cost the team the game, adding how he’ll definitely show up to rub it in everyone’s face.

Funny watching him take that serving of crow, slap ketchup on it, and state it tasted good, because JR didn’t “get the same plays called”

Richochet Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:57 pm

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

ROFLMFAO……….

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

NorthernD Says:
    November 23rd, 2009 at 2:57 pm

Developing QB’s has never been the way Davis has run his ship.
    Hostetler, George, Gannon, Plunkett…the list goes on.
    ——————————-
    6 winning seasons in 20 years.

The Last 7:

09′ 2-7
    08′ 5-11
    07′ 4-12
    06′ 2-14
    05′ 4-12
    04′ 5-11
    03′ 4-12

Laughingstock of the NFL is the bottom line.

• Thec07

I am conducting a training class in the middle of an assessment, cant stop laughing MR, is rather entertaining…..

• TrueRaider

LMAO

• Thec07

When you really think about it, we all have been conditioned. look at that list Kell put up, that SH!t is sad, not funny at all….

• Ryan

Dakota,

South Dakota State will fall this weekend!

MONTANA GRIZZLIES! (clap, clap, clap – clap – clap) MONTANA GRIZZLIES!