Oakland Raiders fan group’s I-880 billboard asks Al Davis to hire a GM

The following press release was received today announcing the posting of a billboard today on I-880 from a fan group asking Al Davis to remove himself as general manager:

Erie, PA – – An international “grass roots” fan effort over the internet, headquartered over 2000 miles away from Oakland, has led to the posting of a billboard this morning on (I-880N) East side, near High street. The message on that billboard is a plea to Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis to “step down” as General Manager.

The effort is led by 22-year-old Jared Staszewski of Erie, Pennsylvania, who along with several other “disenfranchised” Raiders fans got together on an internet fan forum and decided that they would like to send a respectful message to Raiders owner Al Davis, asking him to relinquish operational control of the team to a Professional General Manager and winning coach who will not be “managed” from the owner’s box.

“We have nothing but respect for Mr. Davis and what he has done for the team over the years,” Staszewski said. “But that effort and our championships are in the past. I have been a loyal fan since 1993 and in those 16 years we (the Raiders) have only had four playoff appearances. We are now on track for our seventh losing season in a row and we believe something has to change,” he said.

“We thought a billboard, posted near the stadium might generate some awareness, create a dialogue among the ‘Raider Faithful’ and perhaps make a difference,” Staszewski said. The idea and discussion spawned a web site www.messagetoal.com to encourage signatures for a petition to the legendary Raiders owner, while also helping to raise money to pay for the billboard.

In less than eight weeks (and mostly through a word-of-mouth effort) MessageToAl.com has secured credit to get the billboard posted by their Dec. 1 target date, has raised nearly $2,000 of the $5,500 cost for the space. MessageToAl.com has also secured more than 21,000 signatures (toward their goal of 50,000 signatures) for their petition asking four things of Al Davis:

1. Please step down as “General Manager”
2. Hire a new GM
3. Hire a “Super Bowl” caliber coach
4. Agree to refrain from intervention in personnel or football operational matters

Staszewski said the strategy for the site www.messagetoal.com was based on some political web sites he had seen where visitors could express themselves and provide monetary support for a campaign they believed in. “This has been a labor of love for a lot of people who have pitched in from all walks of life and many locations to help send a message to the Oakland Raiders organization for change to help bring our beloved franchise back to the top, where it belongs,” he said.

“One fan designed the site. Another helped with the graphics, copy, and helped us establish a secure means of collecting donations. It has really been inspiring to see the commitment and passion these fans have for the team we have (and will) continue to support. Some disgruntled fans of other teams have worn “brown bags” over their heads or staged protests to try to get their message out there. We believe this billboard is a respectful way to give this initiative a voice and to ask Mr. Davis to allow the team to realize its potential,” Staszewski said.

The billboard, owned by Clear Channel media is scheduled to be posted this morning, along Interstate 880N, just ½ mile from the stadium and on the east side of the highway near High Street. Staszewski has faith that fans will continue to visit the site to help pay off the line of credit which has secured the posting. “We know times are tough and we’ll appreciate any support of and/or contributions to the cause,” he said.

“We believe in the organization and we hope that Mr. Davis might become inspired to ‘do the right thing.’ We believe he, our loyal fan base and the entire Oakland region will all benefit if we are to achieve our goal. We didn’t want to sit back and simply complain about our situation. We want to take steps to do something about it. We can’t make draft picks or coach from the stands. We can, however, bring the issue to light and respectfully request that the organization make some necessary changes which we believe can help the Raiders to fully realize their potential and to once again be considered among the NFL’s elite teams,” Staszewski said.

To learn more about this effort, to sign the petition, to help pay for the billboard, or just to help out, please visit www.messagetoal.com

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

4evaRaider Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 4:28 pm
    It does matter KoolKell

DO YOU THINK AL DAVIS REAPE TO LOSE YES OR NO KOOLKELL
    =———————-
    What difference does it make?

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

I bet the guy was happy to wipe the mud of his shoes.

Probably was his best and highest paying job he ever had.

• 4evaRaider

KoolKell…

I personally think it would be terrible 4 da NATION to lose a member as you.You been here through thick and thin

DO YOU THINK AL DAVIS WANTS 2 LOSE

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

That’s what the economy needs more of…shoe-shiners!!!

Come on Al Davis, gotta fuel the economy and create some jobs!!

• 4evaRaider

State your stance in front of the NATION KK

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

I still respect AD. He’s done great things. Embittered employees and players say things when they are not wanted. But I think AD needs help in running the Raiders. He is still #1 but needs help. Another $10 to the billbord. LMFAO

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

Davis favors players whose most striking attribute is raw speed and obscure players whom he has discovered. Three examples are tight end Andrew Glover, a Raiders starter the past two seasons who caught only 10 passes as a senior at Grambling; defensive back Dan Land, a converted running back with excellent speed: and defensive back James Trapp, who won the NFL’s Fastest Man competition in 1995.
    “Teams would watch our waiver wire,” five-time Pro Bowl wideout Tim Brown said last summer, “because the word around the league was that the Raiders were going to release football players and keep the guys Al likes.”

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

Who would have thought that all the anti-Davis posers on here would get shown up by a 23 year-old kid from Erie, PA named Staszewski?

LMAO

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Why I donated to the billboard:

1. We have no QB going into 2010
    2. 21 of 24 1st & 2nd round picks have busted (Howard being the latest bust)….although I think he can play
    3. 10 Coaches in 20 years
    4. Coaches with no authority
    5. Best players not getting on the field
    6. Shoddy scheme born of an earlier day….(everything and everyone has to adapt)
    7. Horrible discipline (QB shows up out of shape, players partying before a preseason game, players trying to quit before season starts etc……
    8. No signs of TANGIBLE improvement to show after 7 years of this
    9. Stupid draft choices
    10. Meddling with coaches, not letting the Head Coach pick his assistants (see Hanson)

And there is more…but this is getting old 4eva. The Raiders are in a perpetual offseason mode.

Go ask Marcus Allen whether Davis wants to win or not. #175

• UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER

CaptainBlack Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 4:29 pm
    Well, Loco, if your Dad had been a Raiders fan, he would be perfect.
    ====================

LOL IN A THOUSAND YEARS PEOPLE LIKE YOU WILL BE SITTING AROUND SAYING GOD IS COMING BACK FOR HIS PEOPLE SOON LOL

RELIGION WAS MADE UP BY SOME OF THE FIRST AND BEST CON MEN MADOFF HAS NOTHING ON THEM.

RELIGION IS A CRUTCH FOR WEAK MINDED PEOPLE.

I WILL NOT ARGUE WITH YOU ON THE REPUBLICAN ISSUE BECAUSE I AM MAINLY A DEMOCRAT DO TO MY WANTING TO SUPPORT UNION WORKERS AND THE RIGHT TO HAVE GOOD JOBS AT A FAIR WAGE. I AM ANTI ABORTION AND FOR GUN RIGHTS.

ANYWAY BACK TO THE ISSUE AT HAND. PHUK AL !!!!!!!

Vegas Raider Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 4:34 pm

LMAO
    —————————-
    Whatever, laugh your stupid azz off. lol.

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

******************************

Of course there is no follow-up to report that this never happened.

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

I’m laughing too. With joy though.

Way to go kid.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

In 1988 Davis ordered Shanahan to play Willie Gault, a former Olympic sprinter, ahead of Brown. Shanahan refused because Brown’s superiority to Gault was so obvious in practice. “That was the biggest fight we ever had,” says Shanahan. “No one had ever stood up to him. Everyone there is afraid of him, so that’s the behavior he expects.”

• SnB offense defense specialteams

All I want is for Davis to change what he’s doing. Let the doggone coach do his job.

Get pros to support decision making on the draft/roster

Modernize the scheme on both sides.

Is that too much to ask?

• 4evaRaider

I apoligise SnB…as you can see the FRUSTATION is becoming almost unbearable…

I LOVE DA NATION AND ALL IT STANDS 4

Vegas Raider Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 4:37 pm

******************************

Of course there is no follow-up to report that this never happened.
    —————————
    You can take a fool to the water, you can’t make him drink though.

• CaptainBlack

Loco, blind obedience to a fanatic is dangerous. Now, back to the Raider.

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

Hey LV is #9 in biggest cities to sign petition.

I will give the kid credit and donate, but I ain’t signing the petition. Money talks BS walks.

• exlaraiderseasonticketholder

Good Night Raider Nation,
    Got to go before I donate more. There is homeless that need it more than a billboard.

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

But can a team thrive in a workplace filled with confusion and paranoia, one in which team officials, according to Moss, Jamie Williams and other former players, eavesdrop on interviews and locker room conversations and report back to Davis? “Players say the walls have ears,” Skrepenak says. “I think Al can find out information, because locker room talk always got back to the head coach.”
    Nor are the coaches immune to Davis’s snooping. Shell says two or three unnamed assistants “backstabbed” him before his firing. “You’d go into staff meetings,” says one former assistant, “and the whole thing was orchestrated for people to turn on each other. And the more you discredited people to Al, the better off you were.” According to one former assistant, Davis would use film sessions to criticize play-calling. During reviews of plays that failed, Davis would solicit an opinion from a coach who wasn’t involved in the call, and that assistant would have no choice but to criticize his coworker.

• 24

KoolKell – A quote from a link you posted.

Says Marcus Allen, who signed with the Kansas City Chiefs as a free agent in 1993, “I always felt we had the best personnel in football, but the best personnel wasn’t always on the field. We had to win a certain way or no way. Sometimes we sacrificed winning for a philosophy—or one man’s philosophy.”

Even since 1993, nothing has changed.

• raideredoutL.A.

much props to dude that got it going, i feel this movement is only going to grow. why critcize on what era u began being a raider fan, we’re all on the same boat. we’ve been incredibly bad the past 7yrs and no end in sight. support the movement.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

4evaRaider Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 4:43 pm
    I apoligise SnB…as you can see the FRUSTATION is becoming almost unbearable…

I LOVE DA NATION AND ALL IT STANDS 4
    ======================================================
    I do too. But the Nation DOES NOT STAND FOR LOSING LIKE THIS! All anyone was looking for is improvement. I don’t think anyone was preaching playoffs. But the car is broken on the side of the road again. The billboard needed to go up. The fans have a RIGHT to be frustrated. Al Davis HAS to change the way he’s managing this club.

Just Win Baby!

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

*****************************

Hey this article was very scathing, and I never read it until MR posted it last week.

But is this part really that unusual? Of those of us employeed on here, can you go and bash your boss and have no worries that it will trickle up?

I sure know there is snitches where I work and have to tread lightly.

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

That’s all anyone needs to know, right?

• 4evaRaider

VEGAS RAIDER YOU BETTER NOT

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

We can still win more games than we did last year, so while this whole season stinks, if we can get to 6 wins, than maybe in 4 years we can get to 10!!!

ARRGHHH…..who am I kidding

• 4evaRaider

Instead of a bill-board…lets take the acquired monies and put it in the scouting dept.!!!

• 4evaRaider

Come on Kell,…./;/////

no more he said she said bullsh!t

• Plunketthead

POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!

vegas raider Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 4:34 pm

LMAO

• 24

Any chance the Colts and Saints both go unbeaten this year? Wouldn’t that be something?

• 4evaRaider

I dont know what I meant by those symbles either lolo

• raiderforlife

I am 45 years old live in MA and have been a Raiders fan since I was an embryo. I have seen the good and the bad. I never thought I would ever see the day Raider fans are putting up billboards to ask Mr. Davis to step down. I think we need to remember this guy wants to win and yes he is part of the problem and must bear responsibility. This is the stuff cheap ass fans do not Raider fans and I have a hard time condoning it. I would think you could communicate how you feel directly to the Management of the Raiders. I stand by Mr. Davis and ask him to do the best that he can. If he needs help and it appears that he dose, hire someone quietly and soon to do that. It would be easy to dump on him now but I am going right to the end with this guy I think the Raiders will win again and I hope he is their to see it. Boston MA

• 4evaRaider

KoolKell Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 4:51 pm

That’s all anyone needs to know, right?
    *****************************************************

KoolKell… why didnt you add the word playa???

that was funny

4evaRaider Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 4:54 pm

Come on Kell,…./;/////

no more he said she said bullsh!t
    —————————
    Dude, I don’t want to start calling names. But this is NOT he said she said. These are NAMED QUOTES from former players and coaches.

If you gonna act stupid………….

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

I don’t want to jinx it, but some may remember my betting on the Saints to win it all at halftime in week 2.

Got 11-1 odds at the time, and am kicking myself that I didn’t put more than my measly $20 bucks.

When the Saints get to the playoffs, they are going to be big favorites, so hedging potential galore!!!

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

“If you don’t do what he says to do, when he says to do it, you’re on the s—list,” Steve Smith says. Tight end Jamie Williams, who spent 1994, the last of his 12 NFL seasons, with the Raiders, likens Davis to an “evil emperor. There’s no one to challenge him because he’s surrounded by yes-men.”

• 4evaRaider

ok maybe there is some truth but as you well know they B 2 sides 2 every whatever

• SnB offense defense specialteams

raiderforlife Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 4:56 pm
    =======================================================
    Be thankful that the Raiders still have a large and lively fanbase that cares about winning.

Apathy is far worse than anger

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

Speaking of the Undefeated New Orleans Saints, didn’t Sean Payton ask Al Davis to kiss his arse?

• 4evaRaider

KoolKell Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 5:01 pm
    ***************************************************

Come-on Kell…you do not need these “statements” 2 stand up

• 24
  • SnB offense defense specialteams

Also, the fact this was organized by someone from Erie, PA and the petition signed by people across the USA/World shows that despite all the losing, incompetence and stupidity exhibited by the Raiders org, players, coaches….that the greatest fanbase in sports IS STILL ENGAGED with the team.

The complaints to Davis are so very valid. This isn’t stuff pulled out of thin air. The decisions have been horrible and the players inept.

A gentle reminder was displayed to Mr. Davis that he needs to change it up a little bit.

Vegas

Do yourself a favor, go listen to the President’s speech on Afghanistan. Enlighten yourself, learn something.

• 24

KoolKell – That would be a yes. Imagine. Sean Payton would have been hired by the Raiders and Drew Brees would have been signed by Payton either way. We would have been on fire and Payton would have been in position to get traded for 1st and 2nd round picks and $8 million dollars.

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

Me personally, I don’t think Al Davis wants to lose. He’s just incompetent.

But Marcus Allen wasn’t so sure:

Says Allen, who signed with the Kansas City Chiefs as a free agent in 1993, “I always felt we had the best personnel in football, but the best personnel wasn’t always on the field. We had to win a certain way or no way. Sometimes we sacrificed winning for a philosophy—or one man’s philosophy.”