Oakland Raiders fan group’s I-880 billboard asks Al Davis to hire a GM

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Tuesday, December 1st, 2009 at 11:09 am in Oakland Raiders.

The following press release was received today announcing the posting of a billboard today on I-880 from a fan group asking Al Davis to remove himself as general manager:

Erie, PA – – An international “grass roots” fan effort over the internet, headquartered over 2000 miles away from Oakland, has led to the posting of a billboard this morning on (I-880N) East side, near High street. The message on that billboard is a plea to Oakland Raiders owner Al Davis to “step down” as General Manager.

The effort is led by 22-year-old Jared Staszewski of Erie, Pennsylvania, who along with several other “disenfranchised” Raiders fans got together on an internet fan forum and decided that they would like to send a respectful message to Raiders owner Al Davis, asking him to relinquish operational control of the team to a Professional General Manager and winning coach who will not be “managed” from the owner’s box.

“We have nothing but respect for Mr. Davis and what he has done for the team over the years,” Staszewski said. “But that effort and our championships are in the past. I have been a loyal fan since 1993 and in those 16 years we (the Raiders) have only had four playoff appearances. We are now on track for our seventh losing season in a row and we believe something has to change,” he said.

“We thought a billboard, posted near the stadium might generate some awareness, create a dialogue among the ‘Raider Faithful’ and perhaps make a difference,” Staszewski said. The idea and discussion spawned a web site www.messagetoal.com to encourage signatures for a petition to the legendary Raiders owner, while also helping to raise money to pay for the billboard.

In less than eight weeks (and mostly through a word-of-mouth effort) MessageToAl.com has secured credit to get the billboard posted by their Dec. 1 target date, has raised nearly $2,000 of the $5,500 cost for the space. MessageToAl.com has also secured more than 21,000 signatures (toward their goal of 50,000 signatures) for their petition asking four things of Al Davis:

1. Please step down as “General Manager”
2. Hire a new GM
3. Hire a “Super Bowl” caliber coach
4. Agree to refrain from intervention in personnel or football operational matters

Staszewski said the strategy for the site www.messagetoal.com was based on some political web sites he had seen where visitors could express themselves and provide monetary support for a campaign they believed in. “This has been a labor of love for a lot of people who have pitched in from all walks of life and many locations to help send a message to the Oakland Raiders organization for change to help bring our beloved franchise back to the top, where it belongs,” he said.

“One fan designed the site. Another helped with the graphics, copy, and helped us establish a secure means of collecting donations. It has really been inspiring to see the commitment and passion these fans have for the team we have (and will) continue to support. Some disgruntled fans of other teams have worn “brown bags” over their heads or staged protests to try to get their message out there. We believe this billboard is a respectful way to give this initiative a voice and to ask Mr. Davis to allow the team to realize its potential,” Staszewski said.

The billboard, owned by Clear Channel media is scheduled to be posted this morning, along Interstate 880N, just ½ mile from the stadium and on the east side of the highway near High Street. Staszewski has faith that fans will continue to visit the site to help pay off the line of credit which has secured the posting. “We know times are tough and we’ll appreciate any support of and/or contributions to the cause,” he said.

“We believe in the organization and we hope that Mr. Davis might become inspired to ‘do the right thing.’ We believe he, our loyal fan base and the entire Oakland region will all benefit if we are to achieve our goal. We didn’t want to sit back and simply complain about our situation. We want to take steps to do something about it. We can’t make draft picks or coach from the stands. We can, however, bring the issue to light and respectfully request that the organization make some necessary changes which we believe can help the Raiders to fully realize their potential and to once again be considered among the NFL’s elite teams,” Staszewski said.

To learn more about this effort, to sign the petition, to help pay for the billboard, or just to help out, please visit www.messagetoal.com

• 24

Daniel Snyder (Redskins Owner) is the next Al Davis. He just doesn’t have a successful history.

• 24

I’m sure Al Davis will hire someone and tell everyone he hired that person to be his GM when in reality, that GM will be a fake figure to shut everyone up and take down the billboard. Al Davis will still be making the decisions.

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

KoolKell Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 5:05 pm
    Vegas

Do yourself a favor, go listen to the President’s speech on Afghanistan. Enlighten yourself, learn something.

***************************************

Got it on DVR and about to tune in. Can’t wait to hear him go back on more campaign promises.

Where’s code pink when you really need them?

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

24 Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 5:25 pm

—————————-
    That scenario won’t be credible. imo. There will have to be specific public language that let’s everybody know, that the deal is real. Or the blackouts will continue.

Blackouts are the leverage.

• 4evaRaider

I love Marcus allen…I hate Marcus Allen

• 4evaRaider

divided by 32 4 all those that refuse 2 believe

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

Kool,

What’s with this “learn something” crap?

I will challenge you to a Jeopardy duel any day of the week partner

• 4evaRaider

Now lets go be competitive

• 4evaRaider

or who-ever

• Raider kENN

Dakota , Did Al really say that?

• 4evaRaider

I once scored 19 correct answers in jeopardy and the double jep question

so there

• Raider4Life

Vegas Raider said :

I have always been against the “nation collective” and all that stuff, but I got to give this kid his props and do my part.

=======================================================

My man, I started the Nation Collective. We got as far as organizing a law firm owned by a long time raider fan, an accounting firm owned by a raider fan, and had a lot of people ready to help us begin a Trust, Worldwide, to raise funds in order to buy our team; owned by the Trust, the fans themselves. We had people willing to begin with thousands, not just a few bucks here and there.

The brainstorming was going very well, and with the belief and focus we all had we were sure we could raise the mountain of necessary money.

The key was that at the end of the day, we all knew that Al would never, ever sell; and that our effort would successful only in the event that we created a major wave in the NFL and Raider Nation, perhaps wake Mr. Davis up. That, and the consistent losing attitude on the team that is wearing upon all of us fans, was enough for us to let that plan just fizzle and accept that Davis isn’t going anywhere, and that even after he passes this situation could stay the same.

I am glad you are donating money to the guy’s billboard cause, as will I. Anything that helps put the reality and the necessity of the situation out there is a plus.

And props to the 702, as I was born and raised there.

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

Raider4Life,

First off, LV baby!! Been here all 6 years of my post-collegiate life.

Now….maybe the reason I was so against the “Nation Collective” was because I didn’t know much about it. Seemed like an internet thing, nothing more. Plus this was over a year ago, while Al is no doubt getting worse yearly, when the previous year that would never seem possible. While I consider myself no Al puppet, some people, IMO, go WAY off the deep end with their hatred, and I try to keep people somewhat in line, so to speak. These coaches and players seem to have a lot of built-in excuses, and it seems way to convenient for me. But it all comes down to the fact, Al stinks at his job, and we all know it.

I give you credit for the work behind the scene’s to try to make something happen, but hats off to Mr.Jared Staszewski. I mean the dude got a frkn billboard a half a mile from the stadium. That is just damn impressive!! Too impressive to ignore, but if he were a 40 year old guy, I honestly wouldn’t consider donating. The fact the guy is 23 and made this happen, makes me feel better giving him $20 than some bum on the corner. That’s just the way I’m wired.

We have to keep the faith, because that’s what fans do, and Raider Nation is the best fan base in the world. I will be rooting the Raiders on feverishly this weekend, and when we most likely lose, it will wear on me, just like you said.

Raider On

• Richochet

raiderforlife Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 4:56 pm
    I am 45 years old live in MA and have been a Raiders fan since I was an embryo. I have seen the good and the bad. I never thought I would ever see the day Raider fans are putting up billboards to ask Mr. Davis to step down. I think we need to remember this guy wants to win and yes he is part of the problem and must bear responsibility. This is the stuff cheap ass fans do not Raider fans and I have a hard time condoning it. I would think you could communicate how you feel directly to the Management of the Raiders. I stand by Mr. Davis and ask him to do the best that he can. If he needs help and it appears that he dose, hire someone quietly and soon to do that. It would be easy to dump on him now but I am going right to the end with this guy I think the Raiders will win again and I hope he is their to see it. Boston MA
    ===============================
    Ahhh…the “long distance” fan. The “I don’t pay couple of thousand a year for season tickets, and then feel like I got screwed, again” fan.

Obviously you don’t have a good view of what’s going in from your neck of the woods. Yeah, “all he needs is a GM”..EXCEPT HE’S THE GM, AND EVERYONE WANTS HIM TO TURN THE JOB OVER TO SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT THEY’RE DOING.”

People who spend their hard earned money to invest in a team, the experience, giving them their loyalty, feel short changed leaving the stadium each week, and are tired of it.
    The one guy who’s responsible for the mess is the guy you state you’ll “follow to the end”.

Here’s reality.

IF THE RAIDERS WERE ON THE STOCK MARKET, and Al was the CEO? He would have been ousted a LONG TIME AGO, because he is devalueing the team, each and every year. He isn’t making money, he’s losing money. He isn’t making the organization better, he’s holding it back. He isn’t making investers (ticket buyers, suite buyers) confident about investing in the product, and they’re turning away in droves.

You need to get a clue, and get off of Al’s sac.

• 4evaRaider

Hey Raider Bong back up and read ALL post…all fanzzz are GREAT,imo

• 4evaRaider

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

the long distance fan

• Richochet

Raider Bong Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 6:51 pm
    hey 4 eva

why are u knockin this dude for being a raider fan for 16 years? considering the guy is only 22, those 16 years means hes been a Raider since he was 6.
    ====================
    Don’t mind 4eva.
    He’s kind of like the board motley fool.
    He wakes up, and rushes TO THIS BOARD, by 7 am…EVERY DAY. And dude? He sits here..ALL DAY LONG..EACH AND EVERY DAY..just refreshing, posting “going to store now”..”heating up macaroni and cheese now”..while adding in ignorant crap.

Just pat him on the head, on occasion, and it makes him feel “special”.

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

4evaRaider

You’re embarrassing yourself. You’ve got nothing to say.

Your moniker became a joke today.

Who will you be tomorrow?

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

I think Jerry’s saving up to deliver us a zinger!!

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

over/under on Jerry’s next thread

8:21 pm

• Pingback: Evening AFC West news and notes « wire2

• Kirk

I am so proud of the guy that did this. God bless him.

Now if everyone would just stop going to the games, it might work.

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

1 Sellout, 7 Blackouts.

Blackouts cannot be ignored, even by Al Davis.

• doriangray

hire maarc trastman!1. hire charlie weiss . at least well have an offense:)

• doriangray

youve got 2 put 2gether a staff. a strong staff. i say marc trestman as head coach. hes kikk arse! and charlie weiss as o – coordinator. tim brown as receivers coach! lets do this! its time 4 a new era. fukk a g.m. just need a strong staff

• Mistabrown

This is a HUGE blow to the old mans ego!

In addition I bet priesttj cries himself to sleep tonight. Unless he tries to hacksaw that sign down in the cover darkness.

• Mistabrown

That would be the first.

# vegas raider Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 7:38 pm

I think Jerry’s saving up to deliver us a zinger!!

• DKnight007

Heckuva job Jared!

Thumbs up to you brotha!

• Mistabrown

Sounds exactly like our very own village idiot.
    priesttj

==============================

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 11:03 am

” JaMarcus Russell is a good quarterback. Get over it! ”

-Al Davis

• DKnight007

Here’s reality.

^^^^^^^^^Exactly!

• DKnight007

# SnB offense defense specialteams Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 4:49 pm

4evaRaider Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 4:43 pm
    I apoligise SnB…as you can see the FRUSTATION is becoming almost unbearable…

I LOVE DA NATION AND ALL IT STANDS 4
    ======================================================
    I do too. But the Nation DOES NOT STAND FOR LOSING LIKE THIS! All anyone was looking for is improvement. I don’t think anyone was preaching playoffs. But the car is broken on the side of the road again. The billboard needed to go up. The fans have a RIGHT to be frustrated. Al Davis HAS to change the way he’s managing this club.

^^^^^^^^Yep!

• 24

Priest thinks everyone is an idiot so what he thinks really doesn’t matter. Hes as stubborn as Al Davis. Priests soul probably needs Al Davis for him to stay alive so he does everything in his power to protect him. I don’t know.

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

KoolKell Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 7:26 pm
    4evaRaider

You’re embarrassing yourself. You’ve got nothing to say.

Your moniker became a joke today.

Who will you be tomorrow?”

KK

4eva is a good dude. Sorry that you guys didn’t agree but that doesn’t make him a joke, it just makes him honest. We must all agree that the losing has become unbearable. Some people deal with it differently than others. No harm no foul.

How was your holiday btw, besides that turkey served up in Dallas?

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

So many people talk a big game but this kid Jared Staszewski of Erie, Pennsylvania has some stones and initiative. He deserves respect and he has earned mine, as well as respect for all of the others involved in this project. I don’t know if it will do any good, but props to these folks are in order.

• Trolls 35 Raiders 0

4eva :cool: 4eva :cool: 4eva :cool:

BTW
    bhp ♥ al davis
    bhp ♥ jamarcuss russell
    bhp ♥ LOSING :lol:

• islandraider

Evening All

I think the sign was very courteous and graceful. Polite but to the point. Al should feel touched.

He should be grateful fans are endeared to his beloved Raiders. IMO, a very nice way of telling Al as fans we are fed up with this excutiating garbage, the painful product, the firings, the over payed hype, the toxic mess he has put field for the last seven years and this is a desperate cry for help. Give this fellow credit. It’s about time someone has made a desperate attempt to reach Al.

Really Al, you should feel honored. Hire this guy. Find a spot for him. Kind of like how Stienbrenner hired George Costanza.

• Nnamdi21

Al’s got roids older then this kid.

• Trolls 35 Raiders 0

# Nnamdi21 Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 9:13 pm

Al’s got roids older then this kid.

Ste :?: or Hem :?:

• r8eray

I did my part by signing the petition. Now it’s time to donate to a good cause!!

• Richochet

CBS Eyewitness News at 6 PM coverage of the sign was longer than the sportscast.
    And the kid got some air time as well.

I would say the message is being heard, already, and it’s only the beginning.

• 24

I’m surprised PFT.com hasn’t broadcasted the message yet.

• http://atm Raider O

Al owns a business, and he has a product called the Raiders. The fans are ( customers), and they have the power to boy-cut that product if it’s not up to their standards. That will force the Business to change their product to satisfy the customers, or lose revenue and be forced out of business.

• priesttj

24, speak when you’re skoken to you little punk, you don’t know me r what I think think. Don’t speak for me sissy speak for yourself. Say whatever you think and leave me out of your discusion unless I’m in it.

Understand you little punk, everytime I come in here one of you lames have got something to say about me. Keep me outta your damn mouth Get it!!

• Kirk

I signed the petition as well. After watching the Saints play Monday Night, I see how far we are behind.

• priesttj

Raider O, this GM stuff is up to personal opinion. Everyones opinion of the kind of GM he should or would hire will differ greatly. Everyones opinion as to the HC he hires will differ greatly from person to person.

He knows he cannpot satisfy every fan and nor will he try. He will hire a GM when and if he gets ready to……….period

You can vote with your dollar. Mr Davis is like a father with children and someone is trying to tell him how to raise his own children. I know how I would take that and it wouldn’t be favorable. he knows what he wants to do and when he wants to do it. It’s his family we are simply onlookers telling him what to do and we don’t have any knowledge as to the ongoings of that family. Yet we want force our opinion on it as if we’re their caretakers.

It’s like when you were growing up and your griends would tell you what to think about your parents. They think their telling you what’s good for you but they totally ignorant as what really is going on. If you listen then it’s on you. But my father would ever let a friend of mine tell him how to raise me would yours?

• priesttj

Bunch of fans that don’t understand what’s really going on in this organization will never get Mr Davis to do something until he feels it’s the best thing to do………..period

So keep pissing in the wind.

• DKnight007

# Raider O Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 9:51 pm

^^^^^^^Exactly…..but the stubborn old man looney AL is not your normal business man.

He doesn’t care about the consumers and whether they buy his crap product. It’s ALL about him and him alone.

His warped egocentric mentality is the problem!

• Richochet

# priesttj Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 10:26 pm

====================================
    It’s probably because you have your head so far up your ass, it’s hard not to.
    See, no one believes you.
    You’re basically full of crap.
    You’re about as involved with Al as I am, or anyone on this site is with the space program…we’re not.
    Nor are you.
    Oh..I almost forgot…PERIOD. (yes, LMFAO at your silly little PERIOD, which obviously makes you feel like it’s now official, or at least makes you feel like it makes sense..to someone..somewhere.)

Now..shut up before you make yourself look even more pathetic…

Oh..damn…too late.
    never mind.

• sec144r18

In reading through all of the posts – there is a split – we either believe that Al won’t notice – or Al *will* notice. Here’s my take: It will not be “one thing” that gets Al to change. It will be a collection of events. For instance: The Billboard, the empty stadium, a drop in concession receipts (for those of us that go to the game have you ever seen beer lines so short?), a drop in jersey sales etc., all of these things ultimately hit Al in the wallet, and that is the most influential thing of all. I’ve been a season ticket holder for a long time – and I can’t help but go to the games – every year I get my hopes up and for the last 7 years those hopes have been dashed. However, I refuse to buy concessions at the game, and I take BART to the game. That way I’m not putting any additional money in Al’s pocket.

I guess in my own way I’m a crack addict (addicted to the Raiders), but I don’t necessarily want to give my crappy dealer (Al) any additional $$$. The empty seats and general revolt will catch his attention.

• raiderzmaverick

priesttj Says:
    December 1st, 2009 at 10:38 pm

———————————————
    I think this is a very good gesture that was done with the billboard. If I had a friend and all his kids were drop-outs and in jail on drugs or prostitutes I’d probably try to step in and help him too. Even if he thought he was doing the perfect job….