By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Sunday, December 20th, 2009 at 4:27 pm in Oakland Raiders.
Notes and observations from the Raiders-Broncos game Sunday in Denver:
– Broncos have 29 seconds, start outside 20. Greg Ellis forces fumble, Broncos recover. Seven-yard loss. Orton incomplete on second down. Michael Huff decks Brandon Marshall on potential third-and-17 conversion. Kyle Orton to Tony Scheffler connects deep, no time out, Raiders bag one of their most improbable wins in years.
– JaMarcus Russell drive follows . . .
Raiders at own 38 with 3:29 left. JaMarcus Russell sacked, fumbles, Carlisle recovers. Raiders get a huge pass interference call with Russell throwing to Murphy. Absolutely the right call.
Oakland at Denver 43, Russell throws it away. Next play, Russell hit, he’s hurt. It’s J.P. Losman’s turn.
Losman throws incomplete with Vonnie Holliday in his face vs. Langston Walker. It’s fourth-and-10.
Russell back for fourth down. Clutch throw to tony Stewart for first down at 2:06. Perfect pass.
Russell to Stewart for nine more yards to the 23. Pretending he’s Zach Miller.
Russell fires 13-yard strike to Chaz Schilens to the 10-yard line with 59 seconds left.
Russell throws a shade behind Higgins, incomplete.
Illegal contact on Broncos puts ball at the 5, 30 seconds left, Raiders no time outs. Clock continued to run, reset at 45 seconds.
Raiders jump offsides _ gives slightly more room for Russell to throw, takes away threat of run, however.
Russell incomplete, hit as he throws.
Russell to Schilens touchdown on crossing route. It’s 19-19 awaiting extra point Raiders lead with 35 sconds left.
– Russell has 79 yards to go, but Raiders do have time to mix in running plays, more than five minutes left.
Russell throws third-and-2 first down pass to Bush _ he drops it. No excuse for that drop
– After staying away from big play all day, Brandon Stokely pierces the middle of the field for a 63-yard gain against Stanford Routt, and horse collar tackle sets up Broncos at the 4-yard line, first-and-goal.
Denver can go up 10 and Raiders would need two scores with Russell at quarterback.
Big stop by Raiders _ Tommy Kelly loses his pants and stuffs Moreno run. Thomas Howard defends Orton-to-Tony Scheffler pass in end zone. Prater converts from 21 yards.
They need one score, not two.
– Gulp. Charlie Frye throws incomplete, crushed on blitz, back of head hits turf. Here comes JaMarcus, for a play, at least.
Maybe it’s karma. Instant illegal procedure penalty on Schilens, short run, and then Russell forced to call time out facing third-and-12, underthrows Louis Murphy. Murphy open, pass was short. Delay of game penalty for spiking ball on Murphy.
– Raiders force punt from Broncos end zone, with Orton QB sneak coming up short. Should be good field position. They’ll start at own 40 _ Mitch Berger 64-yard punt, JLH 14-yard return.
– McFadden denied on pitch right, fourth-and-goal, he gets inside the 1, no further.