Miller hopes to return vs. Browns

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, December 21st, 2009 at 1:14 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Tight end Zach Miller is awaiting results of tests designed to determine if he is sufficiently recovered from a concussion to play this week.

“I took it today, I don’t know, I haven’t got the results yet, hopefully it went good today,” Miller said Monday.

Miller said the test is taken on a computer, quizzing him on memory, identifying shapes, and compared against a baseline test taken before the season started. Based on how he feels, Miller likes his chances of playing this week.

“The way the symptoms have been kind of going away, I expect in the next few days here I should be feeling pretty good and get back out there at practice,” Miller said.

Miller said even if he had passed the test last week, he still couldn’t have played because he wasn’t free of symptoms.

He conceded his attitude toward his rehab is different than it would have been a few years ago if faced with the same issue while at Arizona State.

“I probably would have said what I needed to get on the field. I’ve done that before,” Miller said. “I ‘m trying to be smart. I expect to have a long career, so I want to make sure that I don’t do something to myself that’s stupid and affects me later.”

However, Miller said he hasn’t given any thought to shutting it down for the rest of the season to make sure there isn’t a third concussion this year.

“ I feel like once the symptoms are gone and all that, there’s no reason not to play and I want to get back on the field,” Miller said. “It sucks not playing.”

Miller had started and played in 45 consecutive games, leading the Raiders with 150 receptions, since being drafted in the second round in 2007.

“It’s frustrating because you want to be out there and you want to impact the game, so you just kind of sit and watch,” Miller said. “It was exciting the way we won, and getting to watch, and all that, but I was dying to be out there.”

Miller felt good for quarterback JaMarcus Russell, the quarterback who was part of his draft class and with whom he had developed a chemistry with on the field.

“It was huge, and I was so happy for him,” Miller said. “He did what needed to be done at the end of the game and that’s huge for a quarterback, to be able to win the game, down six, score the winning touchdown with only 30 seconds left, and the way he did it, some adversity, fighting through it, so it’s really a credit to him.”

More news and notes from a few players who trickled in for treatment or to work out on an extra day off:

– Tight end Tony Stewart, accompanied by his two young sons, hasn’t stopped smiling since kickoff Sunday.

“The whole game, from the beginning to the end, I was just standing there smiling,” Stewart said. “Guys would look at me and be like, ‘What are you smiling about? What’s so funny?’

“I’m like, ‘I’m just happy to be playing. God gave me a great opportunity. Unfortunately Zach went down with his injury, his concussions, and I hope he gets better soon, and I know he’s getting better, but it was really fun to be out there and contribute the way I did.”

Stewart caught three passes for 27 yards, including a 10-yard catch on fourth-and-10 from Russell on the game-winning drive. Primarily an extra tight end and special teams player, Stewart last caught more than three passes in a game on Oct. 5, 2003, when he caught five passes against Buffalo while on the Cincinnati Bengals.

With Charlie Frye out, Russell getting the wind knocked out of him and J.P. Losman in for a snap, Stewart began to wonder how it would all end.

“It reminded me also of the body bag game of the Redskins and Eagles back in the day when Brian Mitchell had to come in and play quarterback for the Redskins,” Stewart said. “The Eagles defense had put out three of the quarterbacks. We almost had to put Shane Lechler in there. He still thinks he’s a quarterback.”

– Wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey said his sprained foot is making progress but gave no indication when he might return.

“Same old, same old, day by day, week by week,” Heyward-Bey said. “Don’t want to rush anything but also want to get back out there, you know? Want to help out my teammates.”

More to come following coach Tom Cable’s weekly press conference . . .

• mistic1

Wisnieski would be an awesome pick. He seems to be a lock at center for who ever takes him. The raiders are sitting pretty if we draft o-line early and d-tackle late or vice versa we cant lose.

• CaptainBlack

MR, enjoy the win and SHUT THE FLUCK UP!

• Pingback: Miller Expects To Be Cleared Week 16 :: Fantasy Football - Free News, Cheatsheets, Tools, and Advice. Leagues and Games.

• DKnight007

mistic1 Says:
    December 21st, 2009 at 4:20 pm

^^^^^^^^^
    If the old man doesnt get a top three pick and have a chance at Suh….he should trade down!!

But he won’t….so the 2nd round may very well wind up being Wisniewski to shore up the Center position.

Wis would be a good pick….he is smart, athletic and tough. He can man the Center position for the next 10 years potentially. He can compete with Satele and Morris. Morris and Satele can also compete at Guard.

• RaiderD

“It’s really (satisfying) to come in, and the guys support you, and be around,” Russell said. “I always say everybody has their opinion. As long as my teammates have faith (in me), and that I have faith in those guys. There’s always going to be tough times. It’s how you come up from behind and fight those tough times off.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You think this is the beginning of JRuss learning how to talk to the press and not throwing his teammates under the bus?

• Ghost to the Post

Ricochet well said my man. I loved it. I have read your post to Moron Raider ten times. You hit the nail on the head. Awesome.

• RaiderD

Wait….. I read that comment again and it could also mean that he wasnt playing well because his teammates didnt have faith again. hes putting the blame on someone else again!

• mistic1

Sometimes scrappy QB’s have the intangibles to win games, be a leader, and get teamates to consistently play for them. “DKnight007″
    ……………………………………………….
    This is very true, the classic over achiever. My point is that they lack the big time talent and their limitations will only allow you to go so far. case and point rich gannon. Fire, spunk, detail oriented, marginal talent.Oakland is a super bowl town. Grads and Fry dont have the goods to get you there.This is why guys like brady , manning,and rothlisberger win, and the hasslebecks, and the like are also rans. No.2 has the talent to take you all the way. What he is missing are the intangibles and leadreship qualities. When he gains these attributes watch out.

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

Did you hear Bill Cowher questioning the Broncos and their playoff drive at halftime?

“He said c’mon these are the Raiders for God’s sake”

• Silver-n-Smac

# KoolKell Says:
    December 21st, 2009 at 4:16 pm

Really, has Justin Fargas EVER had ANY games like Bush’s big games?

Gotta let the best players play, and let them do what they do.

Is Johnnie Lee Higgins a big improvement over Bey or what? C’mon

Gotta let the best players play.

************************************************

I love how some of you fellas love to hoot it up when Bush or McFadden have a periodic breakout game and pad their stats as a result.

Does it occur to you that you need a consistent running game throughout an entire game, for an entire season? Not just a big run here, a big run there.

As I’ve said so many times, I like both of these young kids. But they both repeatedly fumble the ball (they both did again yesterday) and they seldom gain consitent 3, 4 yard runs to keep the chains moving.

Sorry, but that’s what Fargas does. He puts us in a lot of 2nd & 6 or 3rd & 3 situations. That keeps drives alive.

Yeah, I know – those long runs are exciting and sexy as hell.

What Fargas does may not be pretty, but, football ain’t meant to be pretty.

• Silver-n-Smac

Good for Bill Cowher.

He’s a schmuck, as is the rest of that crew.

• DKnight007

Silver-n-Smac Says:
    December 21st, 2009 at 4:34 pm
    Good for Bill Cowher.

He’s a schmuck, as is the rest of that crew

^^^^^^^^^
    Sounds like the chin is still hurting after his former team got beat and embarrassed at home by “just the raiders” at Pitt. LOL

• SnB offense defense specialteams

mistic1 Says:
    December 21st, 2009 at 4:29 pm
    ……………………………………………….
    =======================================================
    Excellent…excellent point. The best thing the Raiders can do in this offseason is not make any assumptions about starters at the QB position next year.

Gradkowski played in 3 games. The NFL is littered with players that had a couple of good games. Great effort…but not enough to be “given” the starting job or even considered in the lead. THis offseason should start with a clean slate.

The only thing Gradkowski should be guaranteed is a chance to compete….that’s it.

Full competition in camp next year!

• raiderzmaverick

# KoolKell Says:
    December 21st, 2009 at 1:24 pm

RaideredoutL.A. Says:

December 21st, 2009 at 1:21 pm
    dont rush it dhb, seriously.
    ———————
    lol, no, don’t rush it, baby.
    ———————————–
    LOL – that’s a funny thought. Imagine if he comes back early and plays hurt….might risk his high production….after all he caught 9 catches through 11 games healthy.

• Pingback: Jerry McD: Miller hopes to return vs. Browns - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!

• Pingback: free roller coaster games