Notes and observations from the first quarter of the Raiders-Browns game:
– Johnnie Lee Higgins wants no part of Charlie Frye pass with defenders approaching. Frye escaped, rolled right. Raiders also get a a false start penalty. Waste the possession in terms of points, but pin Browns at the 9 at the end of the quarter on Shane Lechler punt.
– Raiders squib kick to negate Joshua Cribbs _ Hiram Eugene nearly recovers it. Jerome Harrison dives on ball and is injured. Cribbs loses yard on first Wildcat run, with Matt Shaughnessy making tackle.
Gerard Warren pushes Derek Anderson out of pocket, Raiders force punt. Raiders will open near midfield after 3-yard return by JLH after short punt.
– Raiders rolling on third possession. Nice 15-yard screen to McFadden, 16-yard strike to Chaz Schilens, 14-yard run by Michael Bush. Cornell Green hold hold/takedown negates first-down red zone pass to the 2 to Louis Murphy.
Schilens can’t hold third-and-14 pass _ should have caught it. Sebastian Janikowski converts 44-yard field goal to trail 10-3 with 2:48 left in the quarter.
– Matt Shaughnessy sack leads to second-and-18 _ and Raiders promptly give up first down pass, Anderson to Evan Moore, 19 yards. Harrison has consecutive runs of 9 and 10 yards, stepping out of ankle tackles by Kirk Morrison each time.
Harrison has a quick 40 yards rushing, and Raiders interior line _ Gerard Warren in particular _ is being dominated.
Phil Dawson converts 42-yard field goal attempt for 10-0 lead.
– Raiders second series _ attacking deep ineffectively. Two incompletions to Schilens, an overthrow and catch out of bounds. Short McFadden run, and punt.
– Awful start for Frye. First pass directly to David Bowens. Supposed to be a slant to McFadden. It leads to a 17-yard scoring run by Harrison. Left side of Raiders line is caved in.