Raiders live chat set for Tuesday at noon

By Jon Becker
Monday, December 28th, 2009 at 6:30 pm in Live chats, Oakland Raiders.

Will Sunday mark the final game with the Raiders for Tom Cable and JaMarcus Russell? Find out what Jerry McDonald thinks during our Raiders live chat on Tuesday, Dec. 29 at noon PST.

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

– Cable, asked to review his own performance as offensive coordinator and play-caller, had the following response.

“I think at times an exceptional job and at times an average job. I look at it that way, kind of nothing in between really. As I said, that has to get better, too.”

Wow, these statements sound eerily similar to JaMarcus Russell when he is asked about his qb play. If Cable thinks that he has been an “exceptional” play caller then he is sipping on the same syrup as Russell.

Dakota was right all along. Fire Cable.

• Florida Pete

i don’t think cable got the memo: just win baby

• NorthernD

The unfortunate thing is that they have a scouting staff that probably does it’s homework and digs into the players’ background, but then Al comes down the day before the draft and re-arranges the order.
    That’s how they continually end up with garbage.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

RaiderDogg Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 11:33 am

Dakota was right all along. Fire Cable.
    ________________________________________

Yeah I caught on to Cable’s BS 14 months ago, but now that you guys are finally seeing the light I won’t be too hard on all of you.

lol

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

Dakota Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 11:35 am
    RaiderDogg Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 11:33 am

Dakota was right all along. Fire Cable.
    ________________________________________

lol
    ————————————
    I am just too damn optimistic for my own good. One day I will learn to take your words to heart…

• jhill

Cable is a clown.

So Robert Gallery being out games 3-8 didn’t impact the offense?

Chris Morris in the starting lineup weeks 3-8 didn’t matter?

Erik Pears and Khalif Barnes starting at OT didn’t matter?

DHB and Fargas starting didn’t matter?

Satele not knowing the line calls didn’t matter?

Schillens being out for 9 weeks didn’t matter?

Cable is CRAZY to say that we would be in the playoff chase with a different QB! I’d like to know which games we actaully would have won with a different QB?

We should have won the opening night game and the KC game after the bye. Both those games had dropped TD passes by rookie WRs and we lost by less than a TD. Other than those 2 games, when did we even have a chance to win another game?

• NorthernD

Dakota,
    Thank you for showing the way.
    Any other words of enlightenment?

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

RaiderDogg Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 11:39 am
    Dakota Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 11:35 am
    RaiderDogg Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 11:33 am

Dakota was right all along. Fire Cable.
    ________________________________________

lol
    ————————————
    _____________________________________

Dogg, they just tried to sell us a glass of warm piss and called it lemonade. I just took a whiff before I drank it…then said thanks but no thanks. Can’t blame you for being optimistic though…I just have a tough time with optimism when it comes to Al Davis and the Raiders.

• DKnight007

Lynn from Snot Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 11:25 am
    drafting in the top of the draft produces more busts than football players. Trade down and get more picks for less money.

^^^^^^^^^
    Exactly….we say the samething freakin thing over and over again for the last 7 years but the old man loves spending big money on unproven top 8 talent and making crazy reach picks like DHB and not doing his homework with Russell #1.

• http://i41.tinypic.com/eb53t3.jpg Lynn from Snot

260-
    Yeah but this idea of trading future picks for experienced players might be a new trend to avoid paying rookies big money contracts.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

NorthernD Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 11:44 am
    Dakota,
    Thank you for showing the way.
    Any other words of enlightenment?

______________________________

Yes, but it involves politics…

• jhill

I just would like to have seen how this season turned out had we not had the early crucial injuries.

Schillens, Miller, Gallery, Morrison, Ellis, and Green.

I really think we beat SD on opening night with a healthy Schillens and Nick Miller. And with Morrsion not being fresh of a elbow dislocation.

Going into the Denver game 2-0 with a Gallery starting instead of Morris would have made a difference. Same with having Schillens and Murphy.

Too many things for an inexperieced rookie HC and play caller to juggle this season.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

jhill Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 11:50 am

Schillens, Miller, Gallery, Morrison, Ellis, and Green.

______________________________

That is Cable’s main argument when meeting with Al next week begging to keep his job.

Al should look at him and say, “So what? Every team deals with injuries every single year. What is your next excuse fat man?”

• http://i41.tinypic.com/eb53t3.jpg Lynn from Snot

I expect Javon Walker to make a big impact against the Ravens.

• raidertbone

My wife and I got rid of cable last year and now we get much better reception … perhaps it is time for the Raiders organization to follow suit and dump their Cable!

• jhill

Dakota,

He might have had a half of a chance with Al if he went in with that argument instead of Jamarcus Russell killed the team.

• raidertbone

# Lynn from Snot Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 11:53 am

I expect Javon Walker to make a big impact against the Ravens.
    _________________________________

… only if he hits somebody out of bounds!

• raidertbone

# jhill Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 11:50 am

Schillens, Miller, Gallery, Morrison, Ellis, and Green.

________________________________________

Of the ones you mentioned, just give me a healthy Gallery and Schillens and the Kirk Morrison from the past two years, and I think we’re alright.

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

Cable will be fired by this time next week and Big Al will be waiting to see which assistant coach in the Super Bowl will be his next head coach.

• new englandraider

lmfaoooooooo @ post #267

• raidertbone

Zach Miller has not been used nearly enough this year.
    Nick Miller was pretty much used up when he arrived.

• NorthernD

raidertbone,
    Did you get a HD antenna?

• raidertbone

# RaiderDogg Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 11:57 am

__________________________________

Some unknowing assistant coach out there somewhere just doesn’t realize how happy his next two (?) years are going to be!

• DKnight007

Dakota Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 11:44 am
    RaiderDogg Says:

^^^^^^^^
    Thats what amazes me about this franchise. Al and his cronies love trying to sell the fans a crap product hoping it works.

This year proved that it’s over….with all the blackouts and the embarassing billboard along with the Cable controversy. It’s pretty obvious the fans have had a enough of Al Davis bullcrap!

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Just some info to chew on about the 2010 capless year…very informative, especially the part about the top 8 teams being limited in free agency:
    :::::::::

Threat of ’11 strike spoils feel-good days before draft
    Writer: Peter King SI

I normally hate writing about labor and things like looming strikes. You hate reading about that stuff. But I’m going to write about it here today, and I will make this commitment to you: I won’t do it again, at least not at the top of the column, until something really significant occurs that you need to know about.

I’m writing now because I think there’s so much misinformation out there, and I want you to have a bedrock of knowledge so you’ll be able to rebuke the office know-it-all if he says, “Hey, no more NFL after this year. They’re going on strike. Did you hear?”

Now there’s a wet-blanket lead for you. But I want you to understand why, a little more than two weeks before the draft, I’m taking the top of the column to cover labor issues. I promise it won’t be too painful. Give me five minutes.

***

First things first: There is no danger of the NFL being interrupted by a labor dispute in 2008, 2009 or 2010.

When NFL owners ratified a new collective bargaining agreement two years ago, it allowed for either the owners or the players’ union — if they were dissatisfied with the new deal — to opt out of the CBA, beginning in November 2008. That’s likely to happen seven months from now. If it does, this season will be wholly unaffected, as will 2009, when teams play with a salary cap of approximately $123 million per club. The 2010 season would be played without a salary cap if a new contract between players and owners is not reached.

And that’s where most of the misinformation has come in. The rules for the 2010 season are significantly more restrictive for players than they currently are, so players and agents waiting out the next two years for a pot of gold in the uncapped year are going to be disappointed. The 2010 rules for player movement:

FREE AGENCY: Currently, players who are unsigned and have finished at least four NFL seasons are free. In the 2010 market, players will be free if they are unsigned after at least their sixth NFL season. In other words, 2009 would have to be a player’s sixth season, and he would have to enter 2010 unsigned. Let’s use Cleveland wide receiver Braylon Edwards as an example. In his original rookie contract, signed in 2005, the final year is 2009, which would be his fifth NFL season. Ordinarily, he’d be a free-agent in 2010 — if the team didn’t sign him before then or place a franchise tag on him. But under the 2010 rules, he won’t be a free-agent.

MORE RESTRICTIONS VIA FRANCHISE AND TRANSITION TAGS: Each team now can use one franchise-player tag and one transition-player tag — which pay the tagged player, respectively, the average of the top five and top 10 salaries at his position. In 2010, the revised deal would allow each team the use of a second transition tag. If a team chose to use all its tags, it could stop its best three players from hitting the unrestricted free-agent market.

RESTRICTIONS FOR THE TOP EIGHT TEAMS IN FOOTBALL: If the uncapped year is reached, the teams with the best eight records in football in 2009 will be severely restricted from jumping into the pool. It’s still not precisely determined how the system would work, but let’s say the Patriots are one of the top eight and want to sign a free-agent to a five-year, $20-million contract. They’d have to lose their own player or players to contracts totaling $20 million before they could sign the free-agent they want. Conceptually, that’s how this clause in the deal is going to work, but the exact mechanics of it are not clear yet. The purpose is very clear: The best teams are going to have tight leashes in free agency. And I can tell you from talking to a few traditionally good teams at the league meetings last week, they’re not happy about it.

All told, teams would be able to protect more players with tags, and would have fewer free agents because of the six-year rule, and the best eight teams would be playing with one hand tied behind their back. This is a good system for the players?

Five of the eight richest players in free agency this year would not have been unrestricted free-agents in an uncapped system requiring six years of service. Defensive lineman Tommy Kelly (Raiders) had four years of service and would have been restricted, as would five-year vets Jeff Faine (Bucs), Lance Briggs (Bears), Calvin Pace (Jets) and Asante Samuel (Eagles).

In 2011 and beyond? Murky times. The union could disband and try to rewrite the rules of engagement with the NFL, as it did in the ’80s to try to break a labor stalemate. The league could try to unilaterally adopt bargaining terms. There could be a strike. That season is three-and-a-half years away, and to think the two sides couldn’t figure out some way to divvy up $8 billion or $9 billion a year … There’s a better chance of Brett Favre quarterbacking the Bears this year.

Now, the fear around football is that some very rich man — Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, Woody Johnson — will grab hold of the free market in 2010 and make it their personal playground. Jones especially, because his new stadium, with personal-seat license fees as high as $150,000 per seat, will put his revenue stream far above other owners. I asked Jones whether he’d ever be a Steinbrenner if the market allowed it.

“I am so grounded in the thinking that higher payrolls don’t win Super Bowls,” Jones said. “Remember — one year when we won the Super Bowl [in the '90s], we had the second-lowest payroll in football. I’ve never experienced success throwing money at players. I never see myself doing that .”

He’s right. After seeing the Patriots win three Super Bowls this decade with a fairly anonymous team, there’s no proof that big spending means big wins.

As to how we got to this point, I won’t get too technical on you, but the previous CBA was very owner-friendly. Because of all the ancillary revenue (like luxury box fees) that wasn’t included in revenue-sharing, the players, who theoretically were supposed to be getting 60 percent of the gross revenue the game produced, were getting about 54 percent. So on March 8, 2006, owners approved a deal that would allow owners to skim 5 percent off the top of gross revenues, with an increasing percentage scale (60.75 percent this year) of the remaining 95 percent of the revenue going to the players. Seems easy enough, but for some owners, it was like going to bed and waking up to find their mortgage rate had gone up four points.

In the last few months, as the economic climate in the country has worsened, teams that need to borrow money for either new stadium financing or major stadium renovations (Giants, Jets, Cowboys, Panthers, Dolphins) have found the NFL’s lending branch has run dry. So teams needing money are looking increasingly toward private financing and bond issues.

For teams that don’t have the revenue of a New England or a Dallas, it’s imperative to get that $87 million check, as the NFL passed out for network TV dough in 2007. But with the salary cap $29 million higher than that this year, and rising $7 million next year, struggling markets like Buffalo and Jacksonville and New Orleans are playing in a different league than the haves right now. And it’s getting worse each year.

Back to reality. The system needs to change. But the landscape has three years of business-as-usual before the sky really does fall … if it ever does. I don’t think it will.

“He listens to me. I don’t know what he does with it, but he listens to me.”

–Oakland coach Lane Kiffin on the frosty relationship he has with owner/GM/free-agent savant Al Davis of the Raiders.

• http://i41.tinypic.com/eb53t3.jpg Lynn from Snot

Trade our no. 1 for Cutler

• raidertbone

# NorthernD Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 11:59 am

raidertbone,
    Did you get a HD antenna?

______________________________________

No, we got a big dish — about the size of JaMarcus’s dinner plate!

• new englandraider

tbone, i hope zmiller doesnt play this week. frye left him oout to dry on at least 4 throws last game. took a few good shots. he did play well, but i dont see any reason to play him. he’s fresh of the concussion, and established as our starting TE. this is a meaningless game. by winning, we may help the donks anyway. just rather not see the guy get another concus. in a game that may effect only tom cable. and our draft status of course

• NorthernD

raidertbone Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 12:02 pm
    # NorthernD Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 11:59 am

raidertbone,
    Did you get a HD antenna?

______________________________________

No, we got a big dish — about the size of JaMarcus’s dinner plate!
    ============================
    It must block out the sun.

• raidertbone

# new englandraider Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 12:02 pm

__________________________________________

For this week, I agree with you. Even though I am making the trip from the East Coast and would like to see Zach play, they just need to turn it over to Stewart and Meyers this time around. Hopefully, Frye can put up some good numbers (without all the picks) and we can be competitive. I would absolutely LOVE knocking the little black crows out of the playoffs.

• new englandraider

slight delay in chat. maybe cable slapped up jerry

• raidertbone

# NorthernD Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 12:06 pm

raidertbone Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 12:02 pm
    # NorthernD Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 11:59 am

raidertbone,
    Did you get a HD antenna?

______________________________________

No, we got a big dish — about the size of JaMarcus’s dinner plate!
    ============================
    It must block out the sun.
    _______________________________________

It’s “sometimes really good and other times average”.

• raidertbone

# new englandraider Says:
    December 29th, 2009 at 12:08 pm

slight delay in chat. maybe cable slapped up jerry
    ____________________________________________

… or hung him from the top of the billboard.

• new englandraider

i got a feeling we get this one. rather not see anyone banged up play. no need risking part of the future for a essentially meaningless game. especially miller with a head injury. with frye in there we;ve run a lot of short outs with the te. as i said b4 miller was hit a few times as soon as he turned around.

• new englandraider

like to see murphy start of jlh. while murphy probably didnt deserve to start earlyier in the season, i think he’s more reliable and productive than the eraser head. scary lee higgins. props to whoever glossed him that. scary lee. lmfao

• new englandraider

cant spell again. damned weeds

• CaptainBlack

It seems to me Al Davis has disowned the Madden and the Madden-era players. Look at the Raiders webpage, there you have Jim Plunkett, JaMarcus Russell, and Willie Brown. Those were Al’s guys all the way. How do you exclude John Madden, Kenny Stabler, Shell, Upshaw, Branch, Biletnikoff, etc? Because they won contrary to Al’s offensive football philosophy. Since Al has taken total control without decenters, we have been losers, horrible losers, worse than any other team in NFL football history. Al, you way stopped working after 1969. You have ruined this team. THANKS

• SnB offense defense specialteams

JHill,

Post #256 — Right on the money!

Cable is just trying to save his job. Nothing else. He goes from NFL Head Coach to a college position coach if he gets dismissed. Unless of course, Jim Mora Jr. saves him by bringing him onboard.

Perhaps if “Coach” had given Javon Walker a chance to help out and wasn’t so devoted to Fargas….maybe we eek out a victory too….or his 4 verticals from the goal line.

Get this guy OUTTA HERE!

• NorthernD

SnB,
    Cable will be a HC.
    At South Wyoming State university.
    Where he will have a 10-57 record and tell everyone what a great job he did there.

• Plunketthead

Vegas said

Nothing about the Oakland Raiders 2009 offense, except for Bruce’s 4th quarter against the Steelers, has been anything close to “Exceptional

That monday night game with the discharge was exceptional

• JB

Troy Smith, RFA Ravens should be AD’s first thing to do – get us a QB that can become a real elite NFL starter. I’m not sure what the penalty (compensation) is for the Ravens but I think it’s a 5th or 6th round pick.Smith for a 5th or 6th round pick would be a steal. Al should trade for his ASAP.

• mistic1

Cable is out, Davis maybe allowing cable to make a point to no.2, but that does not mean he pleased that cable could not get through to him. If you win Davis give you rope, when you lose and you dont lose his way you are out. Trestman for hc in 2010

• mistic1

Cable said he did an exceptional job???!!!?? What kind of dope is he smoking, and can he score me some? Outrageous, what happened to all the talk about accountabilty? You throw your qb under the bus, and say its mainly his fault. No way cable can come back now, Mr. Davis wont like it. Are the dropped balls, lack of o-line play, lack of tackling and bone headed play calling no.2′s fault as well? What about the failure to utilize bush and mac 20, thats on jamarcuss. This dude is full of it.Cable stinks out loud disconnect him if you want any chance of saving no.2.

• Pingback: piano cover