The run stops with Ray

News, notes, quotes and observations Wednesday from the Raiders’ practice, open locker room session as they prepare to host the Baltimore Ravens:

– We’ll see how much the Raiders run the ball against Baltimore or even attempt to run.

In the brief Ravens-Raiders history, which corresponds to Ray Lewis’ first year of the league in 1996, Oakland has broken 100 yards exactly once _ getting 111 yards on 28 carries in a 13-10 loss in 1998.

The leading rusher that day was Napoleon Kaufman, who had 79 yards on 16 carries.

In the other five meetings, including the AFC championship game following the 2000 season, the Raiders have run into a wall.

Last season, Justin Fargas had 11 carries for 22 yards and the Raiders had 47 yards on 18 carries in a 29-10 loss. In 2006, Lamont Jordan rushed for 35 yards on 19 carries and the Raiders had 39 on 26 attempts.

In Oakland’s only win over Baltimore, a 20-12 win at the Coliseum in 2003, the Raiders needed 31 carries to gain 79 yards.

The 2000 Raiders led the NFL in rushing, averaging 154.4 yards per game, and ran for 24 yards on 17 carries. Tyrone Wheatley had seven yards on 12 rushes.

Oakland’s first-ever game against Baltimore in the 1996 season opener brought 60 yards on 21 attempts, with Harvey Williams gaining 39 yards on 13 carries.

In the six games, the Raiders have 330 yards on 142 carries, averaging 2.3 yards per carry. Unable to control the line of scrimmage, the Ravens have 22 sacks in those games.

To be fair, the Ravens have done this to a lot of teams _ not just the Raiders.

“You’ve got a bunch of good players, and they have for quite a while now,’’ Raiders coach Tom Cable said. “But (Lewis) definitely is the key to the whole thing. And good players on the line of scrimmage. Two outstanding outside ’backers. A nose guard. Defensive ends. And safeties who know how to fit that box.

“It’s kind of been who they are – stop the run first and we’ll just adjust everything else.”

Lewis told Bay Area reporters by conference call “We get up for true challenges and the Raiders, every time we’ve seen ‘em, have always had some type of respect or some type of thing that they’re really chasing, and right now I think they’re doing a great job using all three running backs.”

– Tight end Zach Miller had a career high nine receptions for 111 yards after missing a week because of concussion symptoms and was pleasantly surprised to have an immediate rapport with quarterback Charlie Frye.

“Charlie did a good job of finding me a lot of times. He really trusted me,’’ Miller said. “We haven’t been working together that much this season, but we were pretty in tune on Sunday.’’

Miller said the unsportsmanlike penalty he got for taunting an opponent (a dubious flag to say the least) was his first at any level.

“I’m the next (Jeremy) Shockey,’’ Miller said.

– -Here’s how Cable assessed Heyward-Bey’s status for Sunday: “We’ll see as we go. Hopefully no setback. We’ll see tomorrow in terms of how today went and how he recovers. But he looked fine today and he’ll go in there and be part of the mix and then, look forward, he would go in as a backup.’’

– If the Raiders knock out the Ravens, it won’t be because they were overlooked. Baltimore hasn’t lost to a team with a losing record this year and all their losses in 2008 came against playoff teams.

“We don’t categorize the teams that we play,’’ Harbaugh said. “We’re disappointed with the teams we haven’t beat. We’re playing a really, really good team, a team that’s capable and talented and that’s how we’re approaching it.’’

– Looks like Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, a former Raiders assistant long-rumored to be a Raiders head coaching candidate, will be on the sidelines at the Coliseum sooner rather than later.

“I’m pretty sure he’s coming to the game,’’ John Harbaugh said. “He and my dad and some other family they’re coming back from the Sun Bowl I think right around that time.’’

Younger brother Jim joined the Ravens on the sideline during a 27-14 loss in Green Bay and was more emotional and demonstrative than the head coach.

“We’ll let him on the sideline. Hopefully he’ll stay off the field this time,’’ John Harbaugh said. “All I know is I looked around and he was 15 yards on the field.’’

– The Raiders’ decision to wait around for Nick Miller to get healthy was costly in terms of kickoff returns. Oakland is ranked dead last in kickoff return average at 22.9 yards and has been stopped 18 times inside the 20 _ the most in the NFL.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Plunketthead
  • Plunketthead

Thanks 4eva
    May your next year be a good one
    That goes for everyone

• NorthernD

RaiderRockstar Says:
    December 31st, 2009 at 10:26 am
    Raji is tearing it up in Green Bay, and Brace is…just a body.

***

Raji has been active for 13 games. Has 17 solo tackles & 1 sack
    ==============================
    I should have said, ” STARTING to tear it up.”
    He had his coming out game on their monday nighter.

rookie DT Desmond Bryant (undrafted) has been active 15 games and has 24 solo tackles, 1 forced fumble & 1 fumble recovery

• Plunketthead

Check out splash cartoon week #17
    Al better hire a new webmaster.

• Silver-n-Smac

Hey Fellas,

We may disagree on a whole lot of shiot (i.e. Russell, Fargas, Cable, etc., etc.), but, regardless of all that:

Happy New Year to all of you Raider Freaks (like myself).

And that includes even you, Richocrap. You’re still a dumbass, but, Happy New Year to you too man. Lookin’ forward to a whole new year of talkin’ shiot to you! LOL

• M Lonetree

Dakota,

while you’re on the $’s per value kick, how many millions has McF been paid per TD?

• 4evaRaider

=)

• Plunketthead

Anyone watching AirForce-Houston

Back to back kickoff returns to start the third quarter
    AF 31 to 13

• Stabler76

NorthernD
    Some guys have a nose for the end zone and others don’t. Don’t forget though, there have been plenty of backs who were replaced by goal line runners
    ———————————————–
    I know what you mean. That’s why I appreciated Marcus Allen. Same build (and college) as Fargas, but during his career, Marcus broke the NFL career rushing touchdown record.

Allen had a tee shirt in his JR year at USC that said “I blocked for the Heisman winner” (Charles White). Allen played fullback that year.
    Marcus Allen won the Heisman as a tailback the next year at USC.

When Bo Jackson came to the Raiders, Al wanted Marcus to move to fullback (and he did). Allen still broke the career rushing touchdown mark.

Nose for the goalline— he would just leap over the entire pile at the goal-line.

There was a game on Monday Nite Football—- OJ Simpson was in the booth, the game was at the LA Collesium and the ball was at the 3 and it was 3rd down.
    OJ says ” You better call LAX air traffic control because there is going to be a UFO on the next play.
    Allen got the handoff and leaped over the O-line, the D-line and the linebackers for the TD.

# raidertbone Says:
    December 31st, 2009 at 4:15 am

It’s interesting how Cable comments that JaDavis “has all the tools to be a successful quarterback”
    =========================
    That’s “Cable-ese” talk.
    What he means is “He has two arms, and two legs”
    In that regard, he’s dead on.

Unfortunately Cable left out “But he has no brains, heart, or the nerve” which excludes him from any Wizard of Oz sequels.

• mistic1

Ricochet, yes cable is your boy! I said he should be fired, you came back keep him for continuity. Then you say cable is not a good coach? You want some syrup for your waffle. Like I said cable stinks out loud and deserves to be fired. Davis is not perfect, far from it, but for the last 30 plus seasons we have had a very nice run. The last seven years have been rough, but I’m sure we will bounce back…. We always do.

• mistic1

Hopefully Davis pulls the trigger quickly this time like right after this upcoming loss. Even if they win it means nothing, unplug cable now.

• raidertbone

# NorthernD Says:
    December 31st, 2009 at 9:58 am

TOP TEN
    PLAYS OF THE YEAR

10) Tommy Kelly drops his drawers
    9)JaFatazz wearing his beanie during the KC game when it’s 90 degrees
    8)JaFatazz showing up to camp with only a beer gut and mowhawk to show for his offseason workout regiment.
    7) Tom Cable ordering the players to play patty-cake for the first few days of training camp.
    6)Lechler’s pursuit of a PUNTING record as the only thing to look forward to in December.
    5)SeaBass kicks a 61 yarder in freezing weather. (Another tale of special teams glory. Yippeee…)

Carry on…
    _______________________________________

How about the pigeon holding down containment on the kickoff vs. the Eagles (“Jim Fassel’s secret weapon”)?

retain Cable and we win 5-6 games next year

fire him and get Fassel or Gilbride and we win 4-5 games next year

what’s the decision Raider Nation?

• raidertbone

How about J.P. Losman coming into a game to quarterback, not even knowing the playbook (with JaDavis on the bench)?

• raidertbone

I say keep Cable for another year — taking shots at his post-game comments never gets old!

who is Al going to interview to satisfy the rooney rule?

Jerry Gray, Winston Moss or James Lofton (again) ?

# mistic1 Says:
    December 31st, 2009 at 11:18 am

===================
    DUDE..YOU’RE CONFUSED AS HELL.

I NEVER said keep Cable for continuity..EVER.

I call Cable a tree stump with a right cross..how the hell is that supporting him? I state the guy actually shows LESS life on the sidelines than Art Shell, and Art Shell looked like he was DEAD on the sidelines..how is that supporting him? I’ve stated the guy has ZERO UPSIDE, and that not one single person here can name even one thing Cable has done that says he should return.

You’ve been chasing parked cars again. Your muddled brain is jumbling who’s saying what.

Now..quick..go read..then come back and apologize.
    and bring me a Starbucks.

Rob Ryan wants to be an NFL Head Coach.

he has a great relationship with Al Davis.

he’s probably on thin ice in Cleveland now with Mike Holmgren in charge, despite the 3 game win streak

Rob the slob could be back as the new puppet HC if Al truly disrespects Cable for his allegations regarding assaulting lapdog Hanson & abusing women

• Richochet

I say bring Losman in, and do like everyone used to do playing sandlot football.

“You go deep. You go to the grey car and do a hook. You tuck ball under shirt, and run up middle”

JR will, for the first time, say “HEY..I KNOW THAT PLAY”

Rockstar..you’re an idiot.
    Ryan? Guys a bigger stump than Cable.

Cable had a vague idea about O lines.

Ryan has a zero idea about defenses.

Oh, I see..you’re going for the ultimate blob?
    Stick to making jokes about dead people.

• mistic1

I don’t think fassel or gilbride will be in look for Davis to bring in a pro offensive coordinator that has never been an NFL hc. Someone that runs a passing scheme. People don’t want to face it but I think trestman is the front runner.

• Dude

Tom Cable hasnt done a damn thing to retain his job. The team is NOT on the upswing. The team does not have an identity and does nothing well. There are no young stars playing well to point to. Theres simply nothing for Tom Cable to hang his hat on to keep the job.

• Dude

How is Trestman the front runner?

Charlie Frye has experience facing Baltimore. He posted an 80.5 rating with two TDs and two interceptions in a pair of starts against the Ravens with Cleveland in 2006.

Baltimore’s banged-up secondary is without cornerbacks Fabian Washington and Ladarius Webb – both lost for the season – and All-Pro safety Ed Reed hasn’t played since Nov. 29 with a slight tear in his groin.

Reed is listed as a game-time decision but isn’t expected to play.

In Harbaugh’s two seasons at the helm, Baltimore hasn’t lost to a sub-.500 team. That included a 29-10 home victory over Oakland on Oct. 26, 2008, in which Rice had 155 all-purpose yards

-BRETT HUSTON (AP STATS Writer)

hey there Richochet. how are you doing today?

• Richochet

4eva? Dude..are you really this dumb?
    It’s not just that you post that anything but truncated message at #253, but it never occurred to you to CUT OUT ALL OF THE MUMBO JUMBO ON THE TITLE LINES?

Geez..lol..you even put YOUR email address along with others email addresses?

You aren’t the sharpest tack in the box, are you?

JR will, for the first time, say “HEY..I KNOW THAT PLAY”

***

are you sure about that?

I think the terminology on offense has changed since Russell hit the bench.

single back: twinkie
    I form: hoho
    shotgun: ding dong
    split backs: fiddle faddle
    goal-line: snickers

etc etc etc

Raiderrockhead..doing great, thanks.

Hey..tomorrows the anniversary of the guy who got killed at BART..thought maybe you wanted to make a joke about that, like you did the NFL player who died?

Whatever works for ya..go for it.

• Richochet

I SEE YOU AVOIDED THE FOLLOWING, MYSTIC.
    In other words, as before, posting as priest, you have no credibility.
    Gosh..what were the chances?

———————————————–
    # mistic1 Says:
    December 31st, 2009 at 11:18 am

===================
    DUDE..YOU’RE CONFUSED AS HELL.

I NEVER said keep Cable for continuity..EVER.

Now..quick..go read..then come back and apologize.
    and bring me a Starbucks.

“Our goal is to be spoiler this week and come in and put the Ravens out of the playoffs. Since we can’t get in, we don’t want them to get in either,” Pro Bowl cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha said. “You want to end the season with a win. You want to have a little bit of momentum going into the next year. You want to have something to build off of. You don’t want to finish the last two games with two losses. So I think guys have a lot of pride and want to go out and win a game.”

“We got something to play for, too,” defensive lineman Richard Seymour said. “Obviously we’re not going to the playoffs. But we’re playing for all these guys in this locker room, and we’re not just going to go out there and say, hey, ‘Here’s the game, go ahead and go to the playoffs.’ That isn’t the case. I think if you feel that way, you shouldn’t play.”

“They’re going to be coming in here fighting and scratching and doing everything they can to get their spot because they have to win to do that,” Cable said. “For us it’s exciting, because we have our own goals: winning the sixth game and trying to improve that way; winning the last game of the year; trying to go into the offseason feeling positive about yourselves.

“Also, you get some joy out of trying to knock them out of the playoffs. That’s what this game is about and that’s the way we should approach it.”

• raidertbone

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    December 31st, 2009 at 11:46 am

JR will, for the first time, say “HEY..I KNOW THAT PLAY”

***

are you sure about that?

I think the terminology on offense has changed since Russell hit the bench.

single back: twinkie
    I form: hoho
    shotgun: ding dong
    split backs: fiddle faddle
    goal-line: snickers

etc etc etc
    _______________________________-

His contract: Whopper
    His talent: Lemonheads
    His work ethic: Zero

those quotes from Asomugha, Seymour & Cable were courtesy of:

JOSH DUBOW, AP Sports Writer

• mistic1

My apologies ricochet, I mixed you up with one of the other people that make no sense. You responded to my post when I said cable had to go. So it seems you agree with me on that point. But then again any fool would.

• MidwestSilvernBlack

Been a long time since I’ve commented on here but one simple statistic I’ve noticed is, and believe me I was a JR supporter until this year, that in the games where JR has played, only 2/11 games has he thrown for more than 150 yards. Comparatively, in 5/6 games since he was benched there have been more than 150 yards passing. Scoring doesn’t occur without positive yardage.

Your move JR, admit your flaws and go study with Vince Young in the offseason or call up Joey Harrington and David Carr (who has actually performed better than you) and learn what it feels like to become a permanent non-starter.

Richochet: why are you encouraging posters to make jokes about the deceased?

I don’t understand.

• raidertbone

Rockstar:
    If you’re not careful, you will soon graduate to either “peanut” or “Gomer”!

• Richochet

Another reason Cable is “used, abused, and confused”..twice in recent weeks Cable has discounted raider penalties as not being indicative of the the kind of team the raiders are..Raiders are TWO PENALTIES behind Green Bay for most in the NFL. One game to play.

Good teams win in spite of penalties.

Bad teams who lead the league in penalties hold records of “Worst team of the Decade” along with “Most consecutive double digit loss seasons” along with “Most HC’s in a single decade” along with “Most negative comments directed at a team by ex-players” along with ‘Most blackouts of any team in last 15 years’…along with…”owner of the last functioning overhead projector found OUTSIDE of a high school”…..

the list goes on :)

If you’re not careful, you will soon graduate to either “peanut” or “Gomer”!

***

LOL. “rockhead” instead of rockstar isn’t really an insult, is it? and “IDIOT” is pretty mild compared to what he calls most people on here who think for themselves …

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    December 31st, 2009 at 11:57 am

Richochet: why are you encouraging posters to make jokes about the deceased?

I don’t understand.
    ==================
    ahhh..been celebrating the new year early, I see.

So..what you’re saying is you want me to paste your comments..actually..your tacky pathetic tasteless sorry weak joke you made about Chris Henry’s fiancee?

You sure?

what a terrible decade it’s been for Raider fans.

last decade was pretty bad too.

Gruden & Gannon have to be laughing right now. Gruden was traded away and Gannon has been banned from Raider HQ. the two guys responsible for any recent success we’ve had. they’ve both got cushy jobs in the booth and get to watch this circus freak show from a distance

RaiderRockstar Says:
    December 31st, 2009 at 12:00 pm

If you’re not careful, you will soon graduate to either “peanut” or “Gomer”!

***

================
    LMFAO..dude..you will NEVER be accused of ‘thinking for yourself’..and you sure as hell have never earned that label.

But hey..how sweet are you that you think that of yourself?
    Aren’t you just precious?

Richochet: copy & paste away

you won’t hurt my feelings. do whatever makes you happy man

you predict he’ll stink and get benched or get injured ???

• mistic1

No. 21 great player not much of a leader. Hopefully branch will continue to grow into that role, by the way branch was a widley panned Davis pick, I guess the old man still has a little left in the tank after all.

now i’m sweet & precious? LOL

2 insults & 2 compliments. you’ve been redeemed Ricky!

way to go man. I knew you had it in you. Just like the Grinch who stole Christmas

time to get some work done. later fellas!

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    December 31st, 2009 at 12:04 pm

what a terrible decade it’s been for Raider fans.

last decade was pretty bad too.

Gruden & Gannon have to be laughing right now.
    =========================================
    Isn’t every single player who got out of RaiderHell laughing?
    Hasn’t many of them gone public about how happy they are they got out?
    From Washington, to Garner, to Rice, to Brown, to Sapp, to Simms, to Moss, to Gannon, to Hall, to Wilson, to Newberry….

be easier to list the players who left the Raiders who were happy playing there..

Ok, I give up..can’t think of a single one in the last decade..can anyone?

• Richochet

RaiderRockRummy..you need to read, comprehend, then post.

“why are you talking about Losman & Russell playing against the Ravens? Frye has already been named the starting Qb this week.”

Comment was made about inserting Losman, ahead of Russell, even if he didn’t know the playbook, in the even Frye went down.

I posted how sandlot plays trumped Russell’s vast knowledge of the playbook.

• mistic1

I feel trestman is the best fit for 2010, this is why I used the term front runner. He has worked, had success here, runs a scheme Davis loves, and fits the Davis profile for coaches. Who else will be here for an interview this off season, that has so many positives?