Coach until told otherwise

There are two ways for a head coach to deal with the sort of uncertainty brought to bear by the Raiders.

There’s the Lane Kiffin approach _ show up at the Senior Bowl without a Raiders shield in sight, wearing a gray hat with an NFL logo, decline comment on the record, but send out as many smoke signals as possible to let people know Al Davis has stripped the coach of any authority and that continued employment isn’t necessarily a foregone conclusion.

Or there’s the Bill Callahan approach _ named “captain of the coaches” following the trade of Jon Gruden to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, he simply rolled up his sleeves, went to work and conducted himself as a head coach should until finally informed three weeks later when invited by Davis to talk about a contract to be head coach.

As Cable surfaces in Mobile, Ala., this week for the Pro Bowl, expect him the Callahan approach. If Cable talks at all, it will be something along the lines of what he said at the end of the season. He’s already on record as saying he thought he’d be back, no reason to alter that approach now. He’ll wear the right gear and may even have “Team of the Decades” stamped on his forehead.

The Callahan and Cable situations, other than the fact that they’re both offensive line coaches who at the time had the support of their respective locker rooms (that changed dramatically for Callahan following the 2003 season), were dramatically different in that the former was the natural choice to lead a veteran team coming off consecutive division titles and the latter is 9-19 with a youthful team that has no history of success.

Unless Davis has told Cable directly he will remain on the job _ something even Adam Schefter’s definitive “Cable will return story” didn’t claim _ he’s simply working on the assumption he will be the coach until told otherwise.

Judging by how Cable handled the Randy Hanson and ESPN firestorms, he’s not going to need a vote of confidence, whether public or private, to remain sane.

Kiffin, who said later he understood his first-year “honeymoon” to be over after a 4-12 season, couldn’t handle not knowing what Davis was saying and doing behind his back. He couldn’t believe it when he someone outside the organization told him James Lofton had been hired as the wide receivers coach without his knowledge. Kiffin had talked with Lofton, but that was as far as it went.

He played the martyr and began planning an exit strategy.

The silence never seemed to bother Callahan. He was the obvious choice for the job, and many, including myself, figured he’d been told beforehand and that the Raiders simply had elected not to make the decision public. They’d tell us when they felt like it.

The assumption turned out to be wrong. Callahan wasn’t called in to talk contract until March 12 and his hiring was announced March 13.

Davis explained why he proceded that way the following day when Callahan was introduced.

“I wanted to see and we wanted to see Bill function in that role to see how the organization would operate, how would we do in the free-agent market,” Davis said. “And we felt after a short period of time we could compete with anyone.”

The same thing is going on with Cable. Davis is waiting and watching. Even if he’s already decided Cable will be back, there’s no reason to tell him or even his own public relations staff. No reason to let him get comfortable.

Extra points

– The Chicago Sun-Times is reporting the Chicago Bears hope to interview Hue Jackson for their offensive coordinator opening. Jackson interviewed with the Raiders for an undisclosed position, believed to be offensive coordinator. The Raiders said they have conducted no interviews for the head coaching position.

ESPN is reporting Jackson will meet with the Bears Tuesday.

– Looking for some kind of Raiders angle in this year’s Super Bowl? None of their castoffs have made it to this year’s big game _ not a player on either roster who has spent time with the Raiders.

Instead, you’ve got Aaron Kromer, the Saints running game and offensive line coach. Kromer, by the way, worked for the Raiders under Gruden and with Gruden at Tampa Bay and is an aspiring offensive coordinator under Sean Payton.

Hmm . . .

– When tight end Dallas Clark made the Super Bowl, a Miller was elevated to the Pro Bowl from alternate status. Unfortunately, it was Heath Miller, the first alternate from the Pittsburgh Steelers, and not Zach Miller, the second alternate from the Raiders.

Heath Miller caught 76 passes for 789 yards and six touchdowns, Zach Miller had 66 receptions for 805 yards and three touchdowns.

– Peyton Manning insists his young receivers, such as Pierre Garcon and Austin Collie, do an extra hour and a half of film study with him one day a week. That’s above and beyond what they do with their position groups.

You’ll notice the Colts aren’t huge into shifts and motions, either. They just kill you with precision execution that comes from repetitive practice and a gifted quarterback who gets angry if things aren’t perfect.

The Raiders aren’t big into shifts and motions, either. But it’s as if the two teams, when it comes to the passing game, aren’t even playing the same sport.

Of course it’s a game of talent, but it’s also huge parts coaching and executing, matching players to a scheme, and getting those players to think and play as one.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

I’ll give it a shot, Norco. I’m starting tonight. Just beer, though.

• Norco Bob

eddie D ratted on his crime partner in New Orleans,..testified for the feds against him…he wont be down in new orleans again, if he shows his midget self down there, hes at the bottom of a swamp with cement shoes on.

• Try Some Reality

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 25th, 2010 at 11:48 pm

priest, no team in the bay area has been as bad as the Raiders and for as long. We need to install a device that shocks you every time you lie.

“Hey, look at the the Niners owners..they’re as bad as Al Davi..bzzzzzzzzzzzt Aaaaaaaaaaagggggggggh!!”
    ===============================================
    lol. yep. 5 Super Bowls and while not great as of late, better than our Raiders. And yet tj is spouting off about them being 10 times worse. lol.

• priesttj

MR, if that really is your assesment then seek help.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

debartolo assaulted a waitress?

• Norco Bob

Nope,..you will need more then brewskis dude,…the Al Davis desease is tough to crack,…pills and reefer needed along with some beers.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

# priesttj Says:
    January 25th, 2010 at 11:50 pm

MR, if that really is your assesment then seek bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzztttttttt aaaaaaaaaaaaaaghhhh!!!.

• Norco Bob

He sure did,..sexually assaulter her…no charges,…shes a millionaire.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

I can’t take pills. I had a panic attack while taking vicodin once, at the dentist. Went into a daze and couldn’t breath. I have an enlarged heart.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

debartolo raped a waitress? Wow.

• Norco Bob

Well I would get a heart transplant…get a smaller one, so you can take pills.

• Norco Bob

No not raped,..he was drunk in a Peppermill type place,..grabbed her aasss,..tried to kiss her,..then slapped her.

• Try Some Reality

I’m in the mood for a laugh. Priest – what are your predictions for next year on a) the Raiders record, b) Russell’s development and c) who will be our head coach.

• priesttj

WEll they haven’t been to a SB in 15 years and wont for the next 15 as far as I can see it. The niners are OK if you like mediocre organizations. I know the GM and his family and if he stays they wont win………period.

The Warriors are my team but we haven’t dne a thing since 1976 the Giants since 1989 same as the A’s. The nly team in the BayArea out the 3 major sports that’s been to a championship is the Raiders and you can add the Sharks they are ran very well.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

That’s a good idea, about the heart transplant. I should put that in the comments section of the waiting list. “I want to binge on pain killers without worry”.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

priesttj Says:
    January 25th, 2010 at 11:57 pm

WEll they haven’t been to a SB in 15 years and wont for the next 15 bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt tzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh
    ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

• priesttj

I don’t do predictions ever who knows what this team will look like and you want me to make prediction? based on what you nitwit?

• Norco Bob

Some folks who cant take vicodin can take Norco….or percocet,..I do em all,…I bought 500 Norcos saturday off craigslist in the bay area,..I dont do it in Sac,…500 for a thousand bucks,..2 bucks each is a steal.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

priesttj Says:
    January 25th, 2010 at 11:59 pm

I don’t do predictions ever bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt aaaaggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh son of a b…zzzzzzzzt

• Try Some Reality

===================================================
    They inherited a pretty big cap mess. Now, I’m not saying I’m impressed with them but they’re doing better than us.

As for the SB. That’s loser talk. ‘haven’t been to a SB in 15 years’. Please. It’s all about winning the SB and they’ve won more recently than us and have 5 rings. Getting to a SB…what…and getting your butt kicked by your former coach. Yeah, that’s something to brag about.

• priesttj

Norco she aint the only one he assaulted he’s done it before and after. He’s a sick bastard. Dwight Clark was nothing more than a pimp.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

priesttj Says:
    January 26th, 2010 at 12:03 am

Norco she aint the only one he assaulted he’s done it before bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt aaaaaowwwwwww make it stop!!!”

• priesttj

They got there you idiot while the rest were sitting at home watching.

• Try Some Reality

Priest. Please don’t call the radio shows. It’s sets Raider fans back 5 years every time you open your mouth on the air.

• Norco Bob

Ya Im hip about Eddie D,…hes a real daddys boy rich kid sick mother f`r,…his sister wont talk to him, nor will dr dork.

• Try Some Reality

Resorting to name calling is a sign of defeat. Don’t be such a loser Priest. Form a coherent rebuttal to post #220. Your post #223 is garbage. We’re comparing to that other bay area team, remember. The one that’s 10 times worse than us. Come on. I’ll give you some time to make up some bull sh1t. You can do it.

• Norco Bob

Well these last pills kicked in,..Im out,..goodnight to all me dear friends in here,..I may dream about you all…..zzzzzzzzzzz….. :)

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

See you guys later. Preist, I’ll take your lie zapper, now. Go ahead and lie all you want to. Later, Norco, Try Some Reality, and you too, Priest. You know I just like giving you s’t.

• Try Some Reality

Later fellas.

• priesttj

If you can’t figure that out yourself I can’t help you. I’d love for the Warriors to be anywhere near the Raiders neighborhood histrically. Same with Giants since they’ve been here I was a Giants fan since 1960 haven’t seen them win a thing. Now the A’s and the Raiders I’ll take their bayarea achievements anyday as well the niners. My two favorite teams are the Warriors and the Raiders all I ask is that my team challenge for a championship every ten years. the raiders have done that. The Warriors worst bay with the Giants.

• http://www.raiderfans.net Richochet

# Norco Bob Says:
    January 25th, 2010 at 11:50 pm

=================
    LMAO..I had to school Bree the Flea..might as well school you as well.
    He didn’t rat on anyone..he was extorted by Edwards. Only after the feds investigated Edwards did the feds learn about Eddie D.
    Eddie D was charged with NOT reporting a felony.

Next time you should ask me first..seriously..save you a lot of grief.

• http://www.raiderfans.net Richochet

BTW Priest..you know even less bout the niners than you do the Raiders.
    You would be wise to NEVER challenge me on either.

Something tells me you won’t dare.

• NorthernD

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 25th, 2010 at 11:53 pm
    =======================================
    Have them remove it entirely. It’s like the appendix or tonsils, it’s a useless organ.
    You’ll sleep better after it’s gone. No more pangs of guilt to keep you awake. JaMarcus doesn’t have one, and look at him. Partying in Vegas while the team rots.

Get it done before valentine’s day. You’ll feel better for it.

• Nnamdi21

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 25th, 2010 at 11:51 pm
    debartolo assaulted a waitress?

=================================

It was Cable wearing a suit…

• Nnamdi21

Richochet Says:
    January 26th, 2010 at 12:21 am
    BTW Priest..you know even less bout the niners than you do the Raiders.
    You would be wise to NEVER challenge me on either.

Something tells me you won’t dare.

===========================

Translation: “Hello? Anyone? Please, oh for the love of gawd PLEASE don’t make me go back my pathetic excuse for an existance!!!”

• Pingback: Tweets that mention Coach until told otherwise - Inside the Oakland Raiders - A look inside the world of the highly classified Oakland Raiders from the writers of Bay Area News Group -- Topsy.com

• http://tada Florida Pete

Tebow has rough first day at Senior Bowl
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on January 25, 2010 7:53 PM ET
    Already tired of Favre Watch 2010? Then can I interest you in a little Tebow Watch?

We pass along reviews of Tebow’s first day at Senior Bowl practice with the knowledge that the buildup to the NFL Draft will be a long one, with many ups and downs for Tebow. Monday was a downer.

Lindsay Soto on NFL Network: Tebow fumbled the first snap from center, then botched roughly 5-6 more during the day. Tebow is used to playing out of shotgun.

Chris Mortensen on Twitter: “First impression from NFL folks on Tebow at Senior Bowl — it is indeed going to be a challenging process for him.”

Stephen Holder of the St. Petersburg Times: “I’m on the sideline at the Senior Bowl practice and let’s just say Tim Tebow is not exactly lighting it up. Horrible mechanics and accuracy.”

Tebow will get a chance to rebound in the next three days of practice on NFL Network.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

don’t we already have a QB who can’t take snaps from under center ???

• Pingback: Jerry McD: Coach until told otherwise - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!

• Pingback: TV-Links