Jackson in no-lose situation

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, January 28th, 2010 at 11:26 am in Oakland Raiders.

We have no idea if Hue Jackson is capable of reversing the fortunes of the Raiders offense and making an NFL quarterback out of JaMarcus Russell.

Yet there’s a perception out there that Jackson is crazy for leaving Baltimore for Oakland and should have waited for a better opportunity to open up as a coordinator elsewhere. He was a finalist and a favorite last year when Mike Singletary surprisingly hired Jimmy Raye. The Bears had scheduled an interview before Jackson decided to come to Oakland.

As much as the Raiders are derided nationally, and justifiably so considering their seven-year free fall, the organization doesn’t kill coaches as much as it makes them.

Jackson can’t lose. If the offense struggles and Jackson is out after a year or three, he’s still a 40-something head coach, one that had the misfortune of being saddled with Russell and working for an owner and organization seen as bizarre and dysfunctional.

Let’s say the opposite occurs. The Raiders offense suddenly begins to put touchdowns on the board. They run better, they pass better. Whether Russell is at the helm or not, if the Raiders get to .500 and beyond, Jackson becomes a hot commodity. If he actually turns Russell around, he’s a miracle worker.

Jackson would be a young, minority candidate to be included on the short list of every NFL team making a head coaching change. That’s getting a foot into a lot of doors.

In that scenario, Al Davis would be helpless to prevent Jackson from accepting a promotion elsewhere, and you know what comes next. Davis’ stated preference is to have a head coach to call the plays, and assuming Cable lasts through the year, a winning season with a strong offense would likely result in Jackson getting elevated so he doesn’t go somewhere else.

Based on how things have gone in Oakland since 1995 other than the three year oasis from 2000 through 2002, it sounds like pure fantasy, which it very well may be.

So in the event of the continued downward spiral, assuming Jackson has committed career suicide by coming to Oakland would be a mistake.

Mike White joined Dick Vermeil in St. Louis and got a Super Bowl ring as an assistant head coach.

Joe Bugel resumed his career as one of the most successful offensive line coaches in the game with San Diego and Washington.

Jon Gruden got a huge raise and won a Super Bowl after being dealt to Tampa Bay.

Bill Callahan landed one of the plum jobs in college football at Nebraska, and is the right-hand man for Rex Ryan with the New York Jets, one of the most respected assistant coaches in football.

Norv Turner, AFC West doormat in Oakland, dominates it as the Chargers head coach after spending a year in San Francisco as offensive coordinator.

Lane Kiffin went 5-15, was all but hanged in public square and got the Tennessee and USC jobs in consecutive seasons.

The only coach whose career suffered was Shell, who had been out of the game more than a decade.

Jackson isn’t the Raiders head coach, but he’s the most splashy hire of an assistant in recent memory and his career arc won’t be affected no matter how the Raiders fare. If he wins, he wins big. If he loses, he still wins.

• Norco Bob

You a Cal-Fit member MR?

• Seymour Bush

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 28th, 2010 at 4:55 pm

Oakglenn, or, ok, Seymour, you wouldn’t want Wilfork and Richard Seymour on our line? My god, huge.
    ====================================================

Captain Black to you. No, sorry, aig. Whoever that is. I am aig today. Screw ja-hotplate. He sucks. There. No, I wouldn’t trade the overall #8 for Wilfork for a lot of reasons. lst off, he was the third best lineman on a three man line. 2ndly what is the problem with our defense? We can’t stop the run? We can’t stop teams from scoring? No, it’s neither of those. What is our problem on defense? And the coaching staff has remarked on this at least 6 times last year. I am asking.

• http://www.raiderfans.net Richochet

# Seymour Bush Says:
    January 28th, 2010 at 4:31 pm

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!! Seymour “The Babe” Bush comes to the plate and calls his shot!!

Once again, when wack-o is confronted with actual FACTS everything he says devolves into garbage or lies. But again, a good comeback would be to just start calling me “oakglen.” That refutes undeniable fact. Suuuuuurrrre.

# Richochet Says:
    January 28th, 2010 at 4:23 pm

You are Captain Black. Slapped your sorryass down as CappyFool, and you then signed in as SeyMoron.

Yeah, you and AIG are both silly little tools who do exactly what you did above..you POST COMMENT AFTER COMMENT directed to me..over and over and over, lol..and then, like AIG, you wonder where I am.
    Yeah..you’re both idiots..both easy..both follow me..both ask about me.

But..Brown is right..as was others who called you out as being so freaking obvious, lol.

Cross posters are cowards.
    You were one before you changed your name..now? Geez…hard to say..how does spineless coward fit?

Again..if I got slapped down like you did? I would whimper off as well.
    ==============================================

OOOOOHHH, Seymour “the Babe” Bush, gotta hold of that one, it is GONE!! We just watched Seymour Bush CALL HIS SHOT!! Wack-o just got knocked out of the park!
    =====================================
    LOL..what the hell are you babbling about?
    You asked if I thought you’re a cross posting beyotch, and I proved you are..and to you, you scored??

That’s like me pounding you into the ground, you laying there in a heap, and as I walk away you yell out “brat”..then you go celebrate that you “stepped up”??

You’re my beyotch, OakGlenn.

HEY???? Wait. I just realized something.
    go look at you above..lol…you do EXACTLY as I stated you do..post comment after comment TO ME..wonder where I am…where you get slapped down, like a fool, then claim victory for yelling “brat” when it’s safe…

You left because of me, didn’t you?
    Oh man..now I feel bad.
    I chased your sorryass into hiding, didn’t I?
    You actually felt the welts would never subside?
    that you had no recourse but to accept total defeat???

Ouch…damn dude..I feel for ya, SeyMoron=OakGlenn.

No, lol…really..I do.

• DutchRaider77

Anybody know what G. Warren’s contract is next year? Some dude on the Bleacher Report said it is only $1.7M (including bonus). Warren should not be our starter, but “I” think would be a good backup.

Here are some FA nose Tackles I would not mind.

Aubrayo Franklin, San Francisco 49ers (30)

Casey Hampton, Pittsburgh Steelers (32)

Ryan Pickett, Green Bay Packers (30)

• http://www.raiderfans.net Richochet

Seymour Bush Says:
    January 28th, 2010 at 5:02 pm

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 28th, 2010 at 4:55 pm

====================================================

Captain Black to you. No, sorry, aig. Whoever that is. I am aig today
    =================
    Take a poll, peanut.

You think even ONE PERSON HERE doesn’t know your sorryass is oakglenn?

Are you serious?

that diversion silly crap doesn’t fool anyone…well…maybe the Satanic tools..

Hey, again, my apologies for sending you to Siberia dude.

HEY?? Was it me busting you, proving you lied about going to the games?
    Was that it, pumpkin?

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

No, Norco. Not a cal fit member. And, yes, Padilla is a ginormous attention whore. That recent abduction thing, Caylee Anthony, was that the name? He got on Nancy Grace. That was hilarious. Anyhow, I voted for him for mayor symbolically, knowing he wouldn’t win anyway. Loved his answer in the debate about what he would do with the K street mall. “Turn it into a used car lot”.

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

Mental Health of Trolls.
    This is really pathetic.

It would be easy to dismiss trolls as mentally ill. Easy and wrong. Most would not score significantly on mental illness assessments. But most are simply immature. Fair enough in a teenager, and they have a chance of growing out of it (though the longer they leave it, the harder they may find it to break the habit). But in adults, it’s simply sad.

Once upon a time, they would have been called ‘inadequate psychopaths’; attention seeking loners, forever feeling sorry for themselves, but too bone idle to lift themselves out of their self-selected mire. Some live in a fantasy world, and find it hard to concentrate on real life; they can’t make eye contact, and will say just about anything, frequently contradicting a previous statement.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

I think Padialla is sort of a wannabe Kinky Friedman.

• Norco Bob

I buy him lunch about once a month…hey, might need him one day…I asked him whats the deal with the tooth pick,..he told me Wyatt Earp did that,..weird dude.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Just post as Oakglenn, man. Did you get banned?

• Norco Bob

Yes old kell, we get it, youre a troll,..but its ok,..all good old man.

You a lawyer, Norco?

• Norco Bob

• http://www.raiderfans.net Richochet

# jhill Says:
    January 28th, 2010 at 4:56 pm

Not a big fan of Henderson at RT. Think we need more of a road grader there. Henderson took a big step back this year, and he was mediocre to begin with. With that said, I have a feeling Barnes and Henderson will battle it out for LT next year. I think the top 3 OTs will be off the board by the time we pick.
    ============================
    Yeah, Henderson did take a BIG STEP BACK..that’s why I told SeyMoron Oakglenn that planting the guy who led the NFL in sacks allowed (at least up through the middle of Dec..not sure how it ended up) at RT, and putting a rookie at the blind side?
    Dumb.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Do you buy Padialla lunch to pay off a bail?

• SATANFEARS ALDAVIS

why do all the other raider blogs sukk / dont get me wrong they have far superior writers than this idiot jerry mc… but like only 2 comments to each post.. i propose we all move 2 a diff blog .

• http://www.raiderfans.net Richochet

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 28th, 2010 at 5:10 pm

You a lawyer, Norco?
    ============
    No, but he is a proud owner of the Cannabis Club Card…which trumps lawyer anyday.

• Norco Bob

Gotta boogie my dear friends,..I will miss you all,…hey try and list to Cable at 6:20,..Mike Lambs show,..might be interesting. Until we meet again…

• DutchRaider77

We cannot stop the run. The only team not to rush for 100 yards against us were the Eagles (because they did not try to run the ball, Chargers (1st game) and the Broncos 2nd game.

Rushing Yards
    KC 173 Yards, Broncos 215 yards, Giants 220 yards, Jets 316 yards, Bengels 177 yards, Cowboys 195 yards, Browns 164 yards and Baltimore 240 Yards.

• SATANFEARS ALDAVIS

if the offensiv eline is so crappy . how come it seems they only give up multiple sacks when jruss plays ?

• http://www.raiderfans.net Richochet

# SATANFEARS ALDAVIS Says:
    January 28th, 2010 at 5:12 pm

=========================
    I propose you both chase parked cars, and trees.
    Then report back which one, in your opinion, was harder to catch.
    Then apologize to all for being an idiot.

With feeling, this time.

• DutchRaider77

You think we should re-sign Barnes to compete at LT?

• http://www.raiderfans.net Richochet

Norco? Remind me tomorrow..I have good news for you.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Costs money to stop the run. We need a couple more run stoppers, but Al Davis will never build a flat out run stopping defense. You have to prioritize most of your money on defense now days to do that. Plus, I don’t think Al can scout the talent, anyway. We’d need a GM to do that, too. And a defensive coach who knows how to get guys into position. But a couple more run stoppers would help us. We had a decent run defense when Gruden first got here. And we didn’t spend that much money on it. Just a bunch of good football players down in the trenches.

• Seymour Bush

Richochet Says:
    January 28th, 2010 at 5:02 pm
    Ouch…damn dude..I feel for ya, SeyMoron=OakGlenn.

# Richochet Says:
    January 28th, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Yeah, you and AIG are both silly little tools
    ====================================================

So first you were calling me aig. But now you contradict yourself and call me oakglen. Now you are contradicting yourself again saying I am not aig, but I am Captain Black, and then 20 minutes later I am someone else. I have been here for three weeks and have never seen Captain Black. I think you have SO CONFUSED YOURSELF, you don’t even know what you are talking about anymore. And all of this because the statements you made were proven to be out an out lies. Go tell lies somewhere else troll. No one has time for you here.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

You have to build at the trenches first. Trenches and QB, two top, simultaneous priorities, IMO. Everything else comes after those two things.

• DKnight007

The #8 pick better be on OT, MLB, or RDE since the DT’s Suh and McCoy will not be there.

Anyone see how fat and out of shape Cody looks??

His body puts Andre Smiths to shame!

Cody came in to Senior Bowl at 6’4, 370….according to Mayock.

I will say this again….an overweight, out of shape two down player like Cody sure as heck is not worth the #8 overall pick or #8 pick money.

• Roch R

The only thing the Raiders need to do this year is

A) Draft reasonably smart, fill needs.
    B) Let the best man win the Quarterback job.

And I will remain a happy fan.

I know, I know, I have high expectations.

But seriously, just let the best man in camp do the job, and if that’s JR, I’d be incredibly happy with that, because that will mean he put some work in.

But all any fan can ask is that their team fields the best team possible to win.

• Ghost to the Post

Nice heads up on Cable. Come on Al. Shock the nation and trade that first pick to New England for Wilfork.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Why isn’t anyone suggesting that we should draft a QB, or try to trade for a franchise QB? A lot of the people who want Russell gone seem to be wishing for Al to play whoever wins the roster spot, etc. We obviously don’t have a franchise QB. So why isn’t that on the wish list for any of you? I think we need a QB and an offensive and defensive line. I really think we’re starting from scratch. Sad, I know. 7 years. But it’s true. The sooner we face it, the better.

• http://www.ladainiantomlinson.com/ Charged Up for Superbowl Victory

What’s up homeys?

• DutchRaider77

I just do not understand Davis’s Defensive theory? If you have the best corners and safties (in theory), then why would you not blitz your backers? Davis only likes to bring pressure with the front four?

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

A lot of you who want a GM had better understand what a GM would do as soon as he or she stepped foot here. They would take a pipe bomb to the place. Even Lechler and Nnamdi wouldn’t be safe. Their salaries could be used elsewhere, particularly on the lines. Most GMs would rather have good lines and a decent punter than hideous lines, as we have now, and the best punter in the game.

• http://www.ladainiantomlinson.com/ Charged Up for Superbowl Victory

You all ready for this?

• Seymour Bush

It’s not that we can’t stop the run. There are a lot of times we play run defense exceptionally well, against good running teams. The issue with the Oakland Raider defense is and the coaches have said this many times, we give up TOO MANY big plays. You guys like stats right? Number one in number of FORTY PLUS YARD RUNS? Oakland. Followed by St. Louis, and Detriot. Not good company. You know how many Indy gave up? none. Number of 20+ yard runs: Tampa Bay, followed quickly by us.
    Number of big plays in the passing game? We fall to number three!
    Last time I looked, 700 lbs of defensive tackles were not getting knocked 40 yards down the field. But then maybe I watch the game differently than you guys.

• http://www.ladainiantomlinson.com/ Charged Up for Superbowl Victory

I met some really cool chicks the other night at one of my shows. After a while, I realize one of them is Alyssa Mylano. Can you believe it! Alyssa was at my show!!! That is almost better than the Chargers winning the Super Bowl.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

What cracked me up is when Davis was asked about our blitzing after a particular game, don’t remember if it was this year or last year, and he said, “we didn’t blitz, we attacked”. LOL. What? I think it’s just about pride. Somebody who he butted heads with at some point somewhere, likely SD, Syracuse, who knows? But anyway, somebody invented or at least coined the phrase “blitz” and Al just doesn’t want to give him any credit. I think that’s the case. Look up the term blitz, who coined it first, or even the philosophy, and see if there’s any association between him and Al. Why else would Al be so ashamed of just admitting that his defense used the blitz, per se, to win a game?

• SATANFEARS ALDAVIS

we stop the run a lot. we stopped LT in both san diego games.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Al just has too much pride. He’s a proud man. Unfortunately, he’s also a loser. He’s at a crossroads and he’s going to have to decide which is more important.

SatanFears and Oakglenn,

I mean stop the run consistently, not just one game here and there.

• Raiders4eve

Vince Wilfork said that he wants to get paid top money, NE are known as a cheap organization, my conclusion in this, NE would trade Wilkfork for 1st round pick and Wilfork will love playing with Seymour and getting paid top money he deserves. Question is, how will AL be able to afford paying Asmough, Wilfork and Seymour over 10 mill a year each while others like Jabust, DHB and DMAC are also being payed top money. Its impossible to pay close to close to 80 mill between these players Seymour, Wilfork, Asmough, DHB, JR, DMAC, Huff, Gallery, Lechler, Jano, Kelly and CJ. 12 players commanding over 80 mill is crazy how would you fill the remaining 41 players? Our team salary will skyrocket to over 150 mill does AL have that kind of money?

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

If we stopped the run “a lot” we’d be a playoff team, Satanfears. You think we’re stupid.

• SATANFEARS ALDAVIS

yall aint stupid. well maybe ricochet , just u guys gotta see the big picture. al davis texted me last night and laid out his master plan .

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Like I said, Raiders4eve, if I’m a GM coming into Oakland, Lechler and Seabass are gone. QB and trenches are top priority, punter and FG kicker are practically at the bottom of the list. The fact that we’re as bad as we are and have two high paid kickers is part of our problem. Lechler would probably get on elsewhere. Seabass would probably be out of the league. An Al scholarship if there ever was one.

• http://www.raiderfans.net Richochet

# Seymour Bush Says:
    January 28th, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Richochet Says:
    January 28th, 2010 at 5:02 pm
    Ouch…damn dude..I feel for ya, SeyMoron=OakGlenn.

# Richochet Says:
    January 28th, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Yeah, you and AIG are both silly little tools
    ====================================================

RICHOCHET: Oh geez..I swear my 12 year old smokes our sorryass as far as comprehension goes. Pay attention, you cross posting coward. I stated YOU WERE AIG..IN THAT, LIKE AIG, you signed on, and immediately started following me..where YOU POSTED A DOZEN POSTS, IN A ROW, TO ME. Yeah..a dozen..one sentence stupid crap, begging for my attention…just like AIG did when he changed his name..HOWEVER..after Brown, MR, Krazy, and others pointed out your exact same weak sorry whimpers that you used as Oakglenn, I admitted my mistake that without a doubt, you’re not AIG..that only OakGlenn posts that silly inane whimperings..only you.
    Your mistake was immediately posting to everyone that slapped your sorryass down..hoping it wouldn’t be noticed.
    You scream stupid.
    You scream intimidated.
    You scream moron.

and yes..you SCREAM OAKGLENN.

#########################
    I have been here for three weeks and have never seen Captain Black.

Richochet: Yeah..no kidding.
    What part of “After slapping you down as CappyCrappy, with ME STATING THAT IT WAS OBVIOUS CAPTAIN BLACK WAS YOU, did you then change to Seymoron” confuse you?

Not hard to follow..OakDork.

You tucked tail as OakGlenn..whining about ‘I’m going away..FOREVER” LOL..only to sign back in under other names, tail between legs.

Just explain why you felt so intimidated that you had to change your name…then we can all pat you on the head, and say ‘you’ll be ok, you stupid little child” and we can move on.

• Seymour Bush

Bye liar troll. Bye.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

I’d rather have good lines and a good QB, with mediocre punter and kicker, than a horrible QB and lines, with the best punter in the game. It’s just a ludicrous philosophy, to prioritize special teams over offense and defense.

• http://www.raiderfans.net Richochet

# SATANFEARS ALDAVIS Says:
    January 28th, 2010 at 5:35 pm

====================
    You getting a text saying “wipe the dog shytt off your shoe next time you come in” is hardly a master plan.

• Seymour Bush

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    January 28th, 2010 at 5:31 pm

SatanFears and Oakglenn,

I mean stop the run consistently, not just one game here and there.
    =========================================

We play inconsistently in both the run and passing games. That’s what we do. I don’t think that is the fault of the defensive tackles, that is the fault of the LB’s, safeties, and tackling.

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

The 2nd largest stockholder in New’s Corp is a Saudi Prince, MSNBC.