Mayock on Raiders

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Tuesday, February 23rd, 2010 at 11:59 am in Oakland Raiders.

A good three weeks before the 2009 draft, NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock became the first to forecast the selection of Darrius Heyward-Bey to the Raiders with the seventh pick.

Sports Illustrated’s Peter King and National Football Post columnist and former Raiders exec Mike Lombardi climbed aboard later, although most amateur and professional pundits had Heyward-Bey going much later in the first round.

“He’s a height-weight-speed specialist. The fastest guy at the combine,” Mayock said at the time. “This is an Al Davis special. You pair him with JaMarcus Russell and Darren McFadden.”

Understand, Mayock was looking at it through the eyes of the Raiders and their history. As he reminded the media on a conference call Tuesday, he wasn’t on board with any of the Raiders’ Big Three. He didn’t like Russell’s work ethic, McFadden’s ability to break tackles or the extremely raw skills of Heyward-Bey.

“My own personal opinion if you’ve followed the past few years, I said JaMarcus Russell was the most gifted college quarterback I ever saw but I wouldn’t taken him with a first round pick,” Mayock said. “I said Darren McFadden’s lower body went dead on contact and I didn’t think he made people miss. I thought Heyward-Bey was just a work in progress and no way should he have ben a high first-round pick. I’m on record with all three of those guys and felt they reached on the height-weight-speed scenario.”

(To be fair, Mayock was caught in an information void regarding the Raiders second-round pick, safety Mike Mitchell. However, rather than criticize the pick, as Mel Kiper did, Mayock conceded the simply didn’t know anything about him. Mitchell’s first season was derailed by hamstring issues although he began to receive playing time late in the season in some defensive packages.)

So who might the Raiders be looking at as the combine convenes this weekend? Mayock wants to see how the numbers play out, but he has a position in mind with the Raiders at No. 8.

“I think offensive tackle becomes a primary need and I think there are four of them worth taking in the first nine or 10 picks,” Mayock said. “You look at Kansas City at No. 5, seattle at No. 7, Oakland at No. 8 and Buffalo at No. 9 all have big tackle needs. It wouldn’t surprise me to see the Raiders wind up with Anthony Davis, Trent Williams, Bryan Bulaga, and of course, Russell Okung.”

Mayock said he considers this year’s draft crop as poor for quarterbacks and interior offensive linemen, but could consider a scenario where as many as six tackles could go in the first round with a big dropoff after the top seven, with the other notables being Charles Brown of USC, Vladamir Ducasse of Massachusetts and Bruce Campbell of Maryland.

Here are links to profiles of Mayock’s top seven tackles:

Bryan Bulaga, Iowa

Anthony Davis, Rutgers

Trent Williams, Oklahoma

Russell Okung, Oklahoma State

Charles Brown, USC

Vladamir Ducasse, Massachusetts

Bruce Campbell, Maryland

A few other Mayock observations from Tuesday’s conference call . . .

– He believes the value of the combine, particularly where quarterbacks are concerned, is the chance for all 32 teams to see how the players matchup with each other in a competitive environment rather than in the controlled nature of a Pro Day.

– Oklahoma’s Sam Bradford, if his shoulder has healed, is the class of the quarterback class.

“I think he’s a franchise quarterback if he checks out medically,” Mayock said.

He considers Colt McCoy a second-round possibility, likening him to Jake Plummer, and Tim Tebow a third-or-later selection.

“Give him two redshirt years while a veteran plays to work out his mechanical issues,” Mayock said.

– The top two players, and it’s not close, are both defensive tackles _ Oklahoma’s Gerald McCoy and Nebraska’s Ndamukong Suh

Although Mayock believes a quarterback need often overrides the “best player available,” he said of taking Bradford before either player, “You’d better be 100 percent sure Bradford is going to be an All-Pro because you’d be passing up an all-pro tackle for the next 10 years.”

Mayock gives a slight edge to McCoy, believing him to be the more disruptive player against the pass in a league skewed heavily toward passing teams.

– The No. 3 player on his board is Oklahoma State wide receiver Dez Bryant.

“When I see Dez Bryant on tape I can’t get Andre Johnson out of my mind,” Mayock said.

– The best available safety is not USC’s Taylor Mays, but Earl Thomas of Texas.

“I don’t think Mays is as instinctive, but he’s a big, tough guy in the middle of the field,” Mayock said.

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

SteveAlbert

I never said you were racist or anybody specifically. I said a lot of the criticism regarding JaMarcus Russell has racial undertones, even before the draft.

I stand by it. If you don’t like it, tough.

• SteveAlford21

Debo, how is he right? I never said that Polish are dumb or that Hispanics are lazy. I said that those are the insults that racists use for those ethnicities. Pointing it out is different from saying it or believing it. Please improve your reading comprehension. Nothing I said was racist, nor do I believe those slurs to be accurate portrayals of those races.

• SteveAlford21

Kell, you specifically said that people call JR lazy and dumb because he is black. You didn’t say that other criticisms were from race, you used those two words as examples of racism. That’s what I was addressing.

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

SteveAlford21 Says:
    February 23rd, 2010 at 3:51 pm

———————————–
    Stupid, Ignorant. Not True.

• SteveAlford21

Kell, all the food you just mentioned is SOUTHERN food… and I eat it on a regular basis now that I’ve moved back from Cali to Virginia. Does that mean that I’m black? I take those comments to mean that his fatness comes from being a countryboy who loves to eat (which he clearly is). The fact that you automatically assume that those foods are tied to race is what bothers me. When my WHITE friends here put on weight, everyone tells them to lay off the fried chicken. What’s your take on that?

• SteveAlford21

And Kell, I’ve never done the childish “change your name to something else” thing when addressing you. I’ve always called you Kell, so I would appreciate the same courtesy being shown to me in a proper adult conversation. Thank you.

• http://CableBumaye 909RaiderLifer

Great timing by Hanson, in suing Cable a week before the Combine. How does this asswipe still get a paycheck from A.D. Football, Inc.?

Wouldn’t be surprised to see a settlement here, with Al somehow underwriting it….

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

Posted Yesterday:

HayzeDaze

Russell definitely deserved to be criticized.

I’m just saying that a lot of the undertones to the jokes and criticisms were racist. Even before the draft.

Now, I know you think I’m the most racist person in here, funny that.
    Yes, when I hear it I call it.

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

SteveAlford

Go Fuk Yourself.

• RaiderDebo

SteveAlford21 Says:
    February 23rd, 2010 at 3:56 pm
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Dude, you’re beating a dead horse. Enough already.

@909:

It took place on team property and the team stood behind Cable, therefor Al will probably back the settlement and try to write it off as a cost-of-doing-business expense. He might even try to get the team’s insurance to cover it as being sued for damages incurred by an agent of the organization being sued over an organization-related incident. You never know… Al might just be crafty enough to accomplish such a thing.

• SteveAlford21

Kell, I wasn’t referring to what Haze said. I was specifically referring to you saying this:

“Not everybody, but many of the comments about Russell are stereotypical. And he has made himself an easy target.

But the Caricature is Fat, Dumb, Lazy. Fried Chicken, Hamhocks, Neckbones. All Day/Everyday on this blog.”

in post 185 and then making several more posts about how those comments made by others are racist. People call him fat because he has a gut, dumb because he doesn’t know the playbook and acts confused at times, and lazy because he skips meetings, won’t run, etc. The references to food are all about SOUTHERN food… and in case you didn’t know, JaMarcus is southern (note the accent). Maybe you should stop looking for racism and try to debate that he ISN’T fat, dumb, and lazy… I’d love to see good arguments about that. I know he isn’t dumb, but he does dumb things in a football sense (skipping meetings isn’t just lazy, it’s also dumb).

• SteveAlford21

Debo, how is it beating a dead horse when that’s the first time I’ve ever asked Kell to call me by my name in a discussion instead of something else? Beating a dead horse is when you talk about the same thing over and over. That comment was my first about that topic. In our only other discussion before this, Kell and I disagreed, but did it quite rationally and without incident, in a very civilized and adult manner.

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Dakota Jr. has arrived. All is well.

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

———————————————
    So true. If you want to check the archives, it’s all there. Even the N word. Unless that’s something that’s used for chinese.

• SteveAlford21

Kell, I wasn’t talking about the archives because I have only been posting here for a week. I was referring to the specific examples that you gave. I’m sure there are people who hate him just because he’s black, but the things that you listed have nothing to do with race.

• The Big Banana

Russell is fat, lazy, and incredibly immature. And he needs to wipe that stupid open mouth look off his face. Those are facts. Now, if any of you think that’s racist, you have problems of your own.

I also think Davis is senile and Phillip Rivers is a punk b1tch. Does that make me racist against Jews or whites?

• M Lonetree

Long Worthy Dakota has arrived!
    hope all are healthy brother Dakota.

• http://CableBumaye 909RaiderLifer

Dakota….

Congrats, to you and Mrs. D.

Light a stogie yet?

• The Big Banana

Speaking of Davis…..why again did the old man re-hire Hanson? This Hanson clown has now filed suit against the team. WTF was Davis thinking by re-hiring him? Which some of you homers applauded by the way….

This guy just spit in the face of Al Davis after he gave him another shot.

• Senior Beeecham

Ok blog dorks -

The only thing this boring, remedial discussion on race is going to bring about is a worked up old KrappyKell and another pair of ruined Bermuda shorts.

Remember, if the old goat Krappy gets all worked up then he usually goes directly into blog meltdown mode.

That means only one thing – hilarious entertainment for me and hours of diaper cleanup duty for KrappyWife.

Like Caesar Milan says, you must get the brain into a calm, submissive state.

Now roll over, Krappy!

• The Big Banana

Congrats Dakota

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

Fat, Dumb & Lazy associated with a black Alabama QB is racist. Especially since it’s not associated with anything on the field.

Fat- doesn’t look fat to me
    Dumb- Wonderlic indicates otherwise
    Lazy- I don’t know. Missing a meeting???????????????

Have you EVER heard a white QB describes as Fat, Dumb, Lazy????????

Now whether you’re racist or not, I don’t know. I stand by the fact that for 3 years in this blog JaMarcus Russell has been describesd in racial undertones. Period.

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

Btw

I’ve heard black fans say things about Russell, much, much worse ;-)

• http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo249/the408RAIDER/749px-I-420svg.png 408RAIDER
  • SteveAlford21

Fat – Look at his gut protrude in the white AWAY jerseys this past season.

Dumb – Missing team meetings, not knowing the playbook, making the same errors repeatedly.

Lazy – (see Dumb), doesn’t run in practices (saw it myself in Napa).

Those are all non-race-related, but ARE football-related. The fact that he’s black has nothing to do with it. For the quite a while, Janikowski had a pretty big gut. I called him lazy, too. He never skipped meetings that I was aware of, never refused to run, and generally played good football, so I never called him dumb or lazy… but he was fat. Race has nothing to do with telling the truth. I’ve just illustrated a FEW ways of how JaMarcus is indeed fat, dumb, and lazy. If you have the chance to lead an NFL franchise, what else can you call NOT spending all your free time honing your craft… if not dumb?

• 24

Oh yeah…and its 2/23/10 and Tom Cable is here to stay.

• Senior Beeecham

Congrats on the kid, Dakota – but do NOT try to use this as an excuse to get out of your burrito making duties during the Baja Summer 2010 Blog Bro-Tacular.

No way Krappy is going to make it through his nude kayak exhibition without a homemade meal in his gut.

• http://tada Florida Pete

M Lonetree Says:
    February 23rd, 2010 at 2:12 pm
    Florida Pete,

you mean Vlad the Impuissant? Vlad the Impotent? Vlad the Imperiler of Quarterbacks? That Vlad???

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Vlad the Black Guy with the Whitest Name on the Planet:

Name: Vladamir Ducasse

Position: OG
    College: Massachusetts
    Height: 6’5″
    Weight: 330 lbs.
    40 Time: 5.35
    Experience: Senior
    Projected Round: Mid-Rounder

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

———————————-
    Immature?

• SteveAlford21

Lazy especially goes toward not putting the time in the filmroom, being the last one to practice and the first one gone. Have you seen/heard Nnamdi talk about JaMarcus’s lack of preparation? #21 is very tactful about it, but even WITHOUT reading between the lines, he’s saying that JR was unprepared for games and for the entire season as a whole last year. There is no excuse for that in your third year or even your second. It’s flat out lazy and dumb to do that.

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

Has ANYBODY EVER heard another QB described Fat, Dumb, Lazy?

Dakota

=) congrats

• Senior Beeecham

Krappy is going to look for any excuse to bring race into the discussion.

Remember folks, we’re talking about a bitter old wack job who has a portrait of Johnny Cochrane hanging above his well worn commode.

So if you give Krappy any excuse to rant like a lunatic on race, he’ll melt down right before your eyes summoning the ghost of Jim Crow.

Which gives me an excuse to order one of my ladies to make another pitcher of margaritas! Ole!

• SteveAlford21

Kell, how long can immaturity be used as an excuse? That’s what you say for ROOKIES being unprepared and missing meetings, being the last one to practice and the first one gone. JR was in his THIRD year last year. To have not learned what to do by then is ignorance. To have learned and then do the opposite… that’s stupidity. I reckon that over the past three years, SOMEONE has told him what he needs to do… so I’m sticking with “dumb” for the description of those actions.

After one season of losing, to continue what you’re doing rather than commit to improving and making the most of the opportunity… that’s dumb. Hopefully, being benched last season was a wakeup call and he’ll stop doing dumb stuff. Until then, “we are what we repeatedly do,” therefor, he’s dumb.

• SteveAlford21

“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act, but a habit.”

-Aristotle

• http://CableBumaye 909RaiderLifer

Dakota…

From here on out, your kid will share the same B-Day as Freddie B…

Pau Biletnikoff Dakota…..lol..

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

Has ANYBODY EVER heard a QB described as Fat, Dumb, Lazy?

• 24

Oh no…Dakota Jr? haha

• Seymour Bush

# DKnight007 Says:
    February 23rd, 2010 at 3:32 pm

If Dez Bryant runs a 4.3-4.4 40….the old man Al will still take notice.
    =======================================================

Dez Bryant is a very nice prospect. He has size but his forty times for the most part are in the 4.5 range. And he has been out of football for a year due to an NCAA suspension. So unless he has REALLY been hitting it, expect Al to pass.

• Seymour Bush

# Dakota Says:
    February 23rd, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Dakota Jr. has arrived. All is well.
    ========================================

Fantastic! Best wishes to you and yours. How’s little Seymour doing?

• http://www.Move2Alameda.com KoolKell

Has ANYBODY EVER heard a QB described as Fat, Dumb, Lazy?

Steve Alford???????????????????????????

Kell, using the quote from Aristotle that I posted as my guide, I say this:

JR repeatedly has a gut (watch the away games last year… white jersey shows it); therefor, he IS fat.

JR repeatedly makes the same mistakes on the field, he also repeatedly comes in last and leaves first instead of being committed to his craft, attending meetings, and studying film; therefor, he is dumb.

JR doesn’t run in practice and does the things I listed for “dumb” as well; therefor, he is lazy.

WE ARE WHAT WE REPEATEDLY DO… JaMarcus IS fat, dumb, and lazy.

-Aristotle

• SteveAlford21

Yes, Kell. I have heard of a QB being called fat, dumb, and lazy. His name was JaMarcus Russell.

• http://tada Florida Pete

long live Aristotle!!!

• Senior Beeecham

Easy there Krappy – you’ve repeated the same question 3 times now and nobody cares.

I’m sure you’ve got an uncomfortable dump in your drawers, but you’ve just gotta stay calm until your wife can change you.

I wish you were chilling here in my condo with these killer Hooter girls and a margarita. We’d get loaded and then take turns pushing you into my whirlpool.

Kickass!

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Thanks guys! I will have to stay home to help with the little guy for a while so I will probably be back next week.

Later.

• 24

ESPN NFL Rumors

Nnamdi to the Jets back on?
    7:39
    PM ET
    Nnamdi Asomugha | Raiders | Interested: Jets? Top Email

Nnamdi Asomugha started a firestorm of controversy at the Pro Bowl by suggesting that he and Darrelle Revis were poised to be in the same defensive backfield. Later, he clarified, saying that he was joking.

But where there’s smoke, there can be fire, and such could be the case here. NFL Insider Adam Schefter has word that the Raiders are looking to swing a trade this offseason, and Asomugha is among those that the team is open to trading.

The problem, if you haven’t been following closely, is the CB’s contract situation, which includes an interesting clause, summarized below. But that might not keep the Jets away if he’s really available, per AFC East scribe Tim Graham. Expanding on the “Revis Island” theme, we’ll call the Jets’ defensive backfield with Revis and Asomugha the “Rex Ryan Archipelago.”

Tim Graham
    Bad times for opposing QBs
    “If Asomugha really wants to play with Revis and experience life under defensive savant Ryan — and get out of Oakland while he’s at it — perhaps he’d be willing to restructure his deal to play for a team that’s trying to, you know, win. The possibility of Asomugha still seems remote because of his contract, but the fact the Raiders are dangling him around the league makes you wonder how nauseous AFC East quarterbacks will get at the mere thought of him and Revis in green and white together.”

Adam Schefter
    Nnamdi gets quite pricey
    “What makes a potential trade for Oakland’s Pro Bowl cornerback even more difficult is that, after his contract expires following the 2011 season, Asomugha’s team is forbidden from franchising him — or it must pay him the average of the top five quarterback salaries, which this year would be $16.4 million.”

• Seymour Bush

I have to frank with you guys, I have seen Jamarcus a bunch up close and he never looked fat to me. I think that is a bit of an urban legend. Even Jerry said as much during preseason opening.

• http://tada Florida Pete

Dakota Says:
    February 23rd, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Later.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

yeah… well don’t try to help out with any of that nursing stuff…

my nipples still hurt…