Cable says he wasn’t worried

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Sunday, February 28th, 2010 at 1:07 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Raiders coach Tom Cable was available to media attending the NFL scouting combine, which, unfortunately, did not include any reporters who regularly cover the Raiders.

According to NFL.com Cable said he simply kept coming to work every day _ much as he said he would at the close of the season.

According to Profootball.talk.com, Cable was non-committal about the future of wide receiver Javon Walker.

Matt Maiocco of the Santa Rosa Press Democrat reports on his Twitter account that Cable said quarterback would be an “open competition.”

• DKnight007

# jhill Says:
    February 28th, 2010 at 2:17 pm

I’ll answer that. Measurables.

——————————————————

What does that mean, DHB?

Russell, Huff, DMAC, and Gallery were all CONSENSUS top players at their position. Not one of them were “combine stars”, or HWS guys.

^^^^^^^^
    Huff was a combine star…..he ran like a 4.3-4.4 forty…..but many questioned whether or not he could play safety full time in the NFL.

Gallerys short alligator arms were a question mark and Gallerys combine measurables….(except for the arm length were solid, hence why his stock stayed within the top 5….plus that year had a weak OT tackle class and Gallery was the only one considered a stand out)

Russell was considered a freak with a strong arm and good mobility for a man his size, but his work ethic and mental capacity was questioned.

DMAC was a good pick IMO….but the stupid offensive coaching staff needs to use him better!

• jhill

Because Russell threw the ball 80 yards on his knees and had the cannon arm.

——————————————————

That’s actually a football related item SnB. I thought the point was HWS, workout warrior. Al took the guy with football talent over the workout warrior.

Chris Johnson was the guy with the fast 40 time, yet we took the football player in McFadden. Again, CONSENSUS top 5 talent in that draft not a 2nd rd pick who ran a good 40.

Even if we take Campbell, you don’t hear the negatives about him that you did DHB. He is a legitimate top 5 OT prospect and 1st rd pick. With only 17 starts, I would expect him to be raw.

But we are NOT drafting him, so that’s a moot point.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USA Hockey…scores in last seconds to tie

• DKnight007

# jhill Says:
    February 28th, 2010 at 2:10 pm

I wonder why we didn’t take the workout warriors Gholston and Calvin Johnson?

DHB does not equal Bruce Campbell or Taylor Mays, lol!

Before DHB was picked, Al’s 40 time guy was a guy like Carlos Francis in rd 4.

^^^^^^^^^
    DMC was a better overall prospect than Gholston and it was an added bonus that DMC ran a 4.3 40 time.

Calvin Johnson should have been the pick….but the team heavily needed a QB at the time, and team deciding factor was Russells arm strength which of course the old man loves.

Never the less Dknight,

Huff was the top rated DB BEFORE the combine.

Gallery was the top rated OT in the draft BEFORE the combine.

Same with Russell. His “best workout by a QB prospect I’ve ever seen” act was football related. And the dude was 300lbs and slow.

DKnight,

Did you just say that Al took the better prospect in one instance, and the bigger need in the next draft?

I agree!

• DKnight007

# SnB offense defense specialteams Says:
    February 28th, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

USA Hockey…scores in last seconds to tie

^^^^^^^^
    Saw that….had a feeling Canada would blow it.

Wow!

• SnB offense defense specialteams

JHill,

The problem I have with Russell is the spectacular way he’s gone to prove the haters right. THat’s what is so disappointing. The pro’s questioned Russell’s work ethic…and the guy so spectacularly combusts with weight issues, showing up to meetings, mastering playbook etc…

DMAC, Mike Mayock questioned his ability to break talks and his lower body strenght ability to make people miss…..DMAC has been an amazing disappointment

DHB, the whole world…including me…said this kid is not a top 10 pick…picked him anyway and the results do not need to be repeated.

Gallery, Huff have only been manageable after years of wandering in Bustville and certainly don’t measure up to their contracts…..Fabian Washington was dealt for a 4th round pick.

This draft record is horrendous. That’s why everyone is skeptical, me included, that Davis will make the right decision.

THat DHB pick was downright awful!

• DKnight007

# jhill Says:
    February 28th, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Because Russell threw the ball 80 yards on his knees and had the cannon arm.

——————————————————

But we are NOT drafting him, so that’s a moot point.

^^^^^^^^^
    Sooo who are “we” drafting at #8 then in your opinion if isn’t the raw workout warrior type in Campbell?

USA Hockey…scores in last seconds to tie

—————————————————–Cigarette Man has been busy I see. First, the Asian car sabotage stuff, now this?

I knew he was still around.

• jhill

I’m not saying we are going to nail the draft. I’m just saying that we are not going HWS with an OT!

If Haden or Bryant run a 4.3, then maybe they elevate themselves to top 8 consideration.

I think we will take one of the follwing players:

Suh, McCoy, Okung, Davis, Morgan, Pierre Paul, Haden, or Bryant.

Uh oh Vegas …

Lakers on a run in the 4th!

• DKnight007

# jhill Says:
    February 28th, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Never the less Dknight,

Huff was the top rated DB BEFORE the combine.

Gallery was the top rated OT in the draft BEFORE the combine.

^^^^^^^^
    Should have drafted should have drafted Fitz ahead of Gallery, Ngata ahead of Huff, should have drafted CJ ahead of Juggs Russell.

Last year should have drafted pretty much anyone ahead of DHB at #7! LOL

• jhill

What if Campbell has the best workout of any OT they bring in? Let’s say that Okung and Davis are off the board. The Raiders bring in Williams, Bulaga, and Campbell in for a private workout. Shouldn’t the guy who impresses most in the private workout?

When you start talking about Campbell vs Bulaga and Williams, I don’t see the big deal.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Jhill,

As long as the Raiders are looking at the total player from the start. Not getting enamoured by athleticism to the point that they think an undrafted Tight End from Boise State could possibly play middle linebacker

Test the players on knowledge, investigate work ethic all that stuff.

Cmon SnB …

Is he actaully playing MLB for us? A training camp experiment doesn’t = Bruce Campbell at 8.

• RaiderLen

Jhill, If the Best workout means going through combine drills…then the team had better weigh the game film, evaluations of the team scouts, and the most recent private workout.

Game performance documented on film would mean a lot more to me than some potential based on measurables at a combine or private workout.

This gets down to Potential V Actuall performance.

Potential based on a workout can be intoxicating.

I played football with a lot of guys that looked good in drills, but sucked as real football players.

Just sayin.

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

A fkn push!!!!

Dammit

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Great hockey game

I agree Len.

Campbell only has 17 games of film. That film already has him in the first rd and a top 20 prospect. By the time it gets down to having him in for a private workout, I would think there would have already been comparisons between Bulaga and Williams and their film.

I can see Al’s logic in picking the big speedy WR over the possesion guy. Not saying I agree, but I can see where Al was going with that.

I’m trying to understand what Campbell brings to the Oline that would make him pass up a guy Okung or Davis. Or McCoy, McClain, Morgan, Haden, or Dez Bryant. We didn’t pass over those kind of guys for DHB.

• SteveAlford21

Vegas:

A push is better than a loss.

• RaiderLen

Jhill, If Okung, Davis, Williams, McCoy, or Hayden are on the board, I’d take any one of them before B Campbell.

This is not an indictment on Campbell, I’d like him on our roster, just much later in the process.

I do not want a DE @ 8 nor do I want a WR.

Let those positions work themselves out in camp. We’ve already invested in these positions in recent drafts.

Let these guys demonstrate their development.

• jhill

The guys LTs are asked to block are usually athletic guys 280lbs or less.

Why can’t we have an athletic LT?

• SnB offense defense specialteams

If Campbell is rated as the best player based on game film, production, work ethic, ability to play now, potential to get better and team need….then by all means.

But last year, Darius Heyward-Bey DID NOT meet the above criteria and as a result, the Raiders cheated themselves of filling a need and getting a productive player.

DHB at best…based on what we’ve seen will be a role player at best….and that’s not what you want out of a top 10 pick

• RaiderLen

I actually think that Mario is pretty athletic.

He’s still developing.

I expect him to be improved next year.

I don’t know that he locks down the position for the next 10 yrs, but I’m willing to give him another year to see what happens.

• RaiderLen

SnB offense defense specialteams Says:
    February 28th, 2010 at 3:24 pm

=================================================
    SnB, You’re right.

The DHB pick to me was indulgent.

The old man needed to eat his vegatables and instead went for the ice cream.

SnB,

I think that you will see a different DHB this year. I doubt we see a the exclusive deep routes with this guy, and I think he will be put in a better position to get YAC. Quick patterns that allow him to run with the ball instead of running to get the ball.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

THe Raiders have a lot of below average players on the roster that get hyped up too much.

This is not a good team right now. It is in DESPERATE need of playmakers. I think we all know this.

The top 10 is about getting playmakers..not role players. Got plenty of players that can’t even fill out a role.

Russell, DMAC, DHB, Huff, Gallery, Routt are all role players at best……only have two playmakers taken in the first two rounds….Asomugha and Miller.

That’s not going to cut it

• RaiderRon

DHB ran slants and other short routes all year and didnt make ONE SINGLE play. To say he ran go routes all year is complete BS.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

jhill Says:
    February 28th, 2010 at 3:33 pm
    SnB,

=====================================================
    I hope you are right. I am no fan of Tom Cable. His coaching decisions did great damage to this team.

But is it just about the coaching and playcalling. This guy DHB dropped about every ball you could imagine.

His last game, the K.C game took the proverbial cake. Got JaDavis benched. Lost the game on the last drive with a drop and INT.

I don’t have a lot of hope in DHB. There are basics and he seems to lack them. If you re-entered DHB into the draft today…where does he go based on what we know now?

I would say 4th round…and that’s because of the HWS

——————————————————-

I agree.

Cornell Green, Cooper Carlisle, Luke Lawton, Kirk Morrison, and Stan Routt all fit that bill. I think you’ll see all of them upgraded.

• RaiderLen

jhill Says:
    February 28th, 2010 at 3:33 pm
    SnB,

=====================================================
    I think most agree that DHB was drafted much higher than the consensus.

He would have been drafted in the 1st round, but probably 15 to 20 spots lower.

It seems as though DHB has the requisit work ethic.

I expect He will be much better next year, and even better incrementally in the following years.

But, it will be up to Him to overcome the critisism directed his way for having been drafted “out of place”

• jhill

My guess is that if DHB was on Indy, NE, or the Saints, he’d be a lot better.

I think Robert Meachem is a good example of what I think DHB could end up being. NOTHING his first few years in the league, and now a productive threat.

I think if you get DHB the ball on a reverse, a WR screen, or quick off the line slants instead of what he was asked to do last year with the deep patterns, then he could be a REAL threat.

• RaiderLen

SnB, A guy doesn’t go from 1st to 4th because of his abilities in one year.

Unless He is convicted of a hienous crime or is significantly injured.

You are attatching a “having played for the Raiders” down grade on what the consensus was amongst the same scouts that are working in the NFL Today.

• RaiderLen

jhill Says:
    February 28th, 2010 at 3:47 pm
    My guess is that if DHB was on Indy, NE, or the Saints, he’d be a lot better.

=====================================================
    Yep…

By the way, don’t these teams have good o lines?

• jhill

Yup, not to mention QBs, scheme, and coaches.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

I hear what you guys are saying. But I am trying to define what real production means. Our standards in Oakland are so low right now.

Jeremy Maclin, Kenny Britt, Percy Harvin, Michael Crabtree, Hackeem Nicks….all those guys produced something. Our guy produced NOTHING!

Now, Louis Murphy produced. If DHB was at Murphy’s level then I would be satisfied and optimistic. But let’s be real here…this DHB kid CAN’T CATCH!

That’s a problem

• RaiderLen

jhill Says:
    February 28th, 2010 at 3:52 pm
    Yup, not to mention QBs, scheme, and coaches.

=====================================================
    LOL, I know, I Know.

One thing at a time.

Give Me a dominate O line, that can trump the other BS.

lol.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Tom Cable thought he had the O-Line he needed…LOL

The Raiders didn’t even draft an O-Lineman last year!

They went into last season ‘all set” at o-line

The evaluation skills of this team will forever be in question

• jhill

I think you are going to see 3 or 4 catches a game next year from DHB, with a run mixed in here or there.

He’s never going to be a 100 catch guy.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Jhill,

This DHB fiasco is exactly why I was so against getting a wide receiver in the top 10. They are so “dime a dozen” cornerbacks and safeties too…..Louis Murphy is the #2 guy by all means but will ulitmately have to yield to Darius Heyward-Bey and his big bloated contract!

3 to 4 catches a game? top 10 pick? 48 to 60 catches…that’s why this team is horrible…role players instead of playmakers.

This team needs lineman in the worst way. I wish they would treat the DT, OT, G positions like they do the other positions!

3 – the number of DTs drafted IN ANY ROUND since 2000
    6 – the number of DBs taken JUST IN THE 1st round since 2000

And we wonder why we lose!

• RaiderMario420

“Maiocco was one of two Northern California representatives at the combine, the Sacramento Bee being the other. Both sent writers beat writers who cover the 49ers.”

Of course, that clown who covers the Raiders for the Bee is freakin’ horrible. They should bring back Jason Jones!

SnB,

Khalif Barnes’ ankle injury man. I think the plan was for Henderson and Barnes to be the OTs. You could argue that Barnes was a better, and certainly cheaper gamble than the 4th OT on the board.

• RaiderLen

How many picks do we have this year?

3a
    3b
    5a
    5b

In those 1st 5 picks I’d like to see 3 O lineman.

Unless we can sign upgrades to the current roster through free agency.

• jhill

The issue is getting the ball in DHBs hands, not what he can do once he gets it. I think 50-60 touches for DHB translates to double digit TDs.

I think our passing game should feature DMAC, Murphy, Chaz, Zach Miller, and DHB. Also sprinkle in some JLH and Nick Miller. I think Murphy, DHB, and Chaz will split 10 catches or so. Zach will get 4 or 5 balls, and the RBs should get 8 or so. DMAC should get 5 by himself!

20 completions or so with a heavy running game is the way we need to go.

• jhill

That’s not going to happen Len. 3 Olinemen?

Henderson and Gallery are locks for the starting 5. I think Langston Walker should and will be back at OG.

Satele? Wouldn’t surprise me to see us draft a C/G prospect.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Jhill,

Let’s hope that Cable has no more influence on the offense.

That “let’r rip” stuff didn’t work out

AS for the O-Line…certainly we could have drafted at least 1…perhaps instead of reaching for Slade Norris….LOL

We went into last season thinking the line was going to be ok….and Barnes was terrible in Jacksonville….

Kwame Harris before him too….yet all we see are skill players drafted year after year after year

• RaiderLen

Let’s get the ball in the hands of all these guys that run fast.

For the record, I think Dmac if used properly, is a home run every single game.

Chaz is an awesome possesion reciever in as much as he runs good routes, has reliable hands, and can really run after the catch.

Mix in Mike Bush to pound the run, with Miller.Tthat CAN be good stuff. IF we have a competent O Line.

If All of these guys are functioning DHB is the back breaker.

• http://www.raiderfans.net Richochet

# jhill Says:
    February 28th, 2010 at 3:57 pm

He’s never going to be a 100 catch guy.
    ==================
    Tall order.

Considering he only caught 9 balls in 11 games says it’s a VERY tall order.

• jhill

So McClain only put up 24 reps and Micah Johnson put up 31.

Sean Weatherspoon put up 34.

If we draft Johnson or Weatherspoon instead of McClain, are we HWS guys?

Or do I need to wait on the 40?