Ross added to coaching staff

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, March 5th, 2010 at 5:57 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders have added Kevin Ross, a former Kansas City Chiefs rival and teammate of ex-Raider Albert Lewis, to their coaching staff.

Ross presumably takes the job vacated by Clancy Pendergast, who was hired briefly before leaving to take the defensive coordinator’s job at Cal.

With the Chiefs, Ross was one of the NFL’s top man-to-man coverage corners _ a technique favored by the Raiders and owner Al Davis.

Ross was the assistant secondary and quality control coach for the San Diego Chargers but his contract was not renewed following the 2008 season. He coached for the New York franchise in the United Football League in 2009.

• raidertbone

# buckeyeraider Says:
    March 6th, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Jhill,
    I was all for McClain at eight. Now, I’m having second thoughts..jumping on the Iupati bandwagon. Eight might be high for a guard but so what. The O-Line and the Run D still need addressed, since we didn’t do it last year.
    Last year I wanted Rey M at seven , even over Buckeye J Laurenitis. Rey is bigger and nastier. If not Rey, my second choice was Mack at C. I would still take either of those two over DHB, even if they weren’t a “value” pick.
    Since the weaknesses weren’t addressed last year I say road grading, mauler and Vandal M. Iupati at 8, and maybe Spikes in Rd. 2, if he slides. What do you think?
    ____________________________________________-

Like you, I have been tooting McClain’s horn from the beginning. Now, I’m not so sure. I’m beginning to change my way of thinking, toward offensive line again. Bruce Campbell and the Iupati kid are both sexy picks right now, but I think the guys who are the most “game ready” are Trent Williams and/or Brian Bulaga. Davis has a lot of potential. If it were me, drafting today, I would probably go with Williams as the #8 overall (unless, of course, Okung is still on the board — I’d gobble him up in an instant!)

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

RBone, Okung isn’t covering all the bases by anyones draft pictures, please explain?

• Seymour Bush

Can’t say I would be crying if McClain was sitting there at number 8.

• raidertbone

# 860Todd Christensen Says:
    March 6th, 2010 at 5:21 pm

________________________________________

It’s T Bone, not “R Bone” — and I’m going strictly off game film and the level of competition played against.

• Raiders4eve

Both Iuputi and Campbell are pointless at number 8. Iuputi is nothing but a guard who struggles against pass protection, Campbell is the 30th overall talent, his game film is quote terrible and hasn’t received any honors in college. Campbell is basically a raw talent.

Now, Anthony Davis is legit, so is Trent Williams and if not Dez Bryant is a stud worth 8th overall pick.

• raidertbone

# Seymour Bush Says:
    March 6th, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Can’t say I would be crying if McClain was sitting there at number 8.
    _______________________________________

Oh, I’d still be happy with McClain at #8; don’t get me wrong. I just hope we don’t screw up and grab Taylor Mays or take on a project like Bruce Campbell. If we pick a quarterback, I think I’ll just throw up on all the Jets fans at the draft party.

• buckeyeraider

T-Bone,
    As long as the team addresses the O-line, and the Run-D, early and often, I’ll be happy. If it’s RT Trent Williams or even a project like Campbell of Maryland,over Iupati, I’ll be Ok. This draft seems deep in DT’s too. There could be 4 or 5 go in the 1st, and still some nice prospects left for Rd. 2. Fix the trenches, Al!

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

T- Bone, Sorry Bro, missed it, truely sorry, check out Campbell, from here, I’ve been watching this bro through his years playing here, Ct, a true monster!

• Seymour Bush

For the most part I don’t advocate taking a LB in the lst round, and particularly at the very top of the draft. But I think mcClain is such a rare combination of size, speed, smarts and desire in a position of need for us that it makes a lot of sense.

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

OAK, does anything in this org make sense?

• raidertbone

I wonder if Al will decide to tender an offer to Gibril (I’m not saying I would agree with the move — just curious).

• http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo249/the408RAIDER/749px-I-420svg.png 408RAIDER

I just wanna know what No More Fargas is gonna change his name to now?

• raidertbone

# 408RAIDER Says:
    March 6th, 2010 at 5:38 pm

I just wanna know what No More Fargas is gonna change his name to now?
    _____________________________________-

I vote for “RIP Fargas”

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

408, bro, this is gonna hurt, it isn’t going to cure our o-line problems, just exasperate them. Our week legged linebackers are going to to be pulverized at the line of scrimmage, just like always, except earlier in the year, nice move Al!

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

Oh, then we resighned Barnes, WHY?

• buckeyeraider

Alright Oak,
    How about this. Is it ok to be greedy? Best of both worlds. McClain at eight. Trade 2nd and 3rd from NE to somebody mid to late first to grab Iupati. Still have own early 3rd for decent DT prospect, or maybe a project like C Black of LSU at RT or even J Arenas.

• buckeyeraider

Oak, I meant Seymour.LOL.

• raidertbone

# buckeyeraider Says:
    March 6th, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Alright Oak,
    _____________________________________________

If you are going to try and trade up to get an additional first round pick, I would grab Pouncey from Florida before I would take Iupati. Our center position sucks donkey right now!

• Raiders4eve

My hope is that in some way Okung falls to us at 8 and Spikes falls for us in the second round. Our DT position can be improved through free agency or late in the draft. A guy like Jay Ross can be had in the 3rd round, there are many DTs in this draft and talented enough. I hope we also get a guard mid round in the draft. Anyone knows who AL will sign in this free agency?

• http://Raiders4Ever.com 860Todd Christensen

T-bone, our whole O-line sucks donkey right now, look at how many yards our linebackers sucseeded with this year, and years past. This is NOT a Raiders Team or Organization, just ask Fargas, blindly trying to help here, it was a lost cause, imho!

• Pingback: The RaiderCast | Ross added to coaching staff