Will the Bears live happily ever after?

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, March 5th, 2010 at 2:32 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Go ahead and concede the NFC North to the Chicago Bears if you wish.

Getting Julius Peppers and Chester Taylor on the first day of free agency is a nice haul. (They’ve also agreed to terms with tight end Brandon Manumaleuna).

What does this have to do with the Raiders?

Nothing, really, except it’s a bigger version of what Oakland did in 2005, when it spent big to sign defensive end Derrick Burgess and running back Lamont Jordan.

Burgess was nowhere near Peppers’ pedigree, although the Bears would probably be happy with the 16 sacks the defensive end put up in Oakland his first year.

And Taylor is a more proven back than Jordan, considerably older at 30 but having split time with Adrian Peterson for less wear and tear in recent years.

His first year in Oakland, Jordan rushed for 1,025 yards and nine touchdowns and caught 70 passes for 563 yards and two more scores in 14 games before missing the last two games with a knee injury.

Again, Chicago could live with that kind of production from Taylor.

What did Burgess and Jordan bring the Raiders in 2005? They went from 5-11 to 4-12.

The thing about free agency is this _ if you haven’t built a solid foundation, get good quarterback play and have strong systems of football, a flashy pass rusher and a 1,000-yard runner won’t do a lot to change things.

The Bears’ season will be all about what Mike Martz can do with quarterback Jay Cutler.

Jumping to more free agent conclusions:

– Figured the Raiders were probably safe in giving Bruce Gradkowski a second-round tender. Gradkowski was dumped by both St. Louis and Cleveland before ended up in Oakland _ three of the worst teams over the past few years in the NFL (what, the Lions weren’t interested?).

Now I’m not sure sure.

If A.J. Feeley can get a two-year, $6 million contract from St. Louis, then who’s to say Gradkowski can’t come back with an offer sheet?

Then do the Raiders match it or take the pick?

– Are the Raiders a silent bidder for the services of Anquan Boldin by trade?

Doubtful. He’ll want a new contract with huge money, and he’s a run-after-catch receiver and not the downfield type preferred by you-know-who.

I’d like to see the Raiders go after a veteran like Derrick Mason or Chris Chambers, but suspect they’re expecting a full season out of Chaz Schilens, another step up the ladder from Louis Murphy and dramatic improvement from Darrius Heyward-Bey instead.

– There’s something to be said for JaMarcus Russell’s quiet offseason (especially if he’s been getting in shape) other than a couple of jewelry-laden courtside appearances. Just ask Ben Roethlisberger.

– Grady Jackson’s available again, but he’s 37 and just got cut by the Detroit Lions. In Jackson’s favor is the Raiders line coach, Mike Waufle, was the line coach for Jackson’s last two years as a Raiders in 2000 and 2001.

– Remember thinking when Gibril Wilson got big money from the Miami Dolphins that someone hadn’t watched the film too closely. After pocketing $24 million in bonus money from the Raiders and Dolphins, he’s free to find another victim.

In the interest of disclosure, I thought Wilson was a good acquisition when the Raiders signed him as an unrestricted free agency.

Another reason why I tend to be skeptical when it comes to signing free agents.

The bottom line?

For all the talk about budgets and business, teams tend to keep players they want to keep, and free agents are on the market for a reason.

• http://www.raiderfans.net Richochet

# KoolKell Says:
    March 4th, 2010 at 11:22 pm
    Chris in NY
    It’s alright peckerwood, it’s all good.
    =======================================
    # KoolKell Says:
    March 5th, 2010 at 11:26 am
    Hey Peckerwood Podunker, how’s it going today?
    ============================
    KoolKell Says:
    March 5th, 2010 at 11:29 am
    Boo
    You’re a lying piece of shyt.
    You fuking peckerwood you were trying to make a statement with that headline
    ==================================
    Urban Dictionary
    Definition: peckerwood
    “Racist term for white man.”
    ======================================================
    Your ass should be banned for your racist crap, Racist Scumbag Kelli

• http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/antisocial-personality-disorder/DS00829 KoolKell

Dumb Beeych disapears and Reekofshyt appears, funny that. They all want to know about my business.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Nnamdi21,

No, Dansby would have demanded an even bigger ransom to come here.

Antonio Pierce would be the guy I would target at this point. Either him or stick with Morrison. Right now the defense has too many issues with scheme / DTs for a rookie to succeed here.

Its a demanding position. You will be on the field and the DTs in front don’t let you shine. Right now the Raiders just need someone that can play at a decent level.

Pierce can hold that down for a couple of years until we get the new DT up to speed and the Marshall can “with Al’s permission” tweek the scheme

• http://www.raiderfans.net Richochet

You should thank me, KeptManKelli…as soon as I show and challenge Lil Beech, he tucks tail and hides, which slows his relentless lovefest he has with you.

• http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo249/the408RAIDER/749px-I-420svg.png 408RAIDER

Nnamdi21

I know but I have dreams!

Who are you guys, baptists?

• SnB offense defense specialteams

KoolKell Says:
    March 5th, 2010 at 5:23 pm
    Jamal Williams, I guess.
    ================================================
    Too old. We need to get a younger guy in there that will man the spot for a while

If Williams was 30 or so I could do the move…but not at 34/5

• http://www.raiderfans.net Richochet

# KoolKell Says:
    March 5th, 2010 at 5:25 pm

==========================
    lol…you don’t HAVE A BUSINESS…

The #1 failed business attempt IN THE COUNTRY IS A REAL ESTATE SALESMAN. Seems everyone who can buy a pencil, when they can’t get any other job, trys real estate.

The fact YOU HAVE NO BUSINESS, while your wife works everyday, while you sit on here, morning, noon, and night, says, LOSER, that you’re a bum, and a liar.

• buckeyeraider

Rich,
    I don’t want to butt into you and Beechams little mano y mano here. But, I asked you the other day. What happened in 2002? What did Al do to PO everybody? I’m not sure what you’re alluding to and you’ve got my curiosity piqued. So, good man, spill the beans. Please.

• http://www.raiderfans.net Richochet

Buckeye…going to give Lil Beech a chance to admit his ignorant ass has no idea what I’m talking about, then I’ll detail it for ya..probably tomorrow or Sunday, which Lil Beech will have used up his sorryass list of excuses and weak say nothing replies.

Reekofshyt,

I guess these things are impossible in your world.

Did I ever tell you when I was a kid, 67′- 72′ I was breaking green horses with Oakland Raider Charlie Smith, Hero of the Heidi game in 68′.

Yeah, we had a Trail Riding group called the El D Riders, because everybody drove El Dorado’s. My father was Prez. George Atkinson would come up, Ray Chester.

Redwood Rd, Oakland. We boarded the horses up there. Great trails all around.

I’ve had about 10 horses of my own. Appys and Quarters.

• djohnnyg

This is just great!!!

All these teams in the league acquiring big free agents, and some not so big, but doing things to try and make their team BETTER. What are the Raiders doing???-Overpaying for their CURRENT players who were 5 and FREAKING 11 last yr., and all we have to look forward to is the biggest bust in NFL history at the most important position on the team, and a coach who hasn’t had a winning season HIS ENTIRE FREAKING LIFE.

Oh it’s okay cuz the Raiders don’t need any help do they?

HOW COME THE RAIDERS ARE DOING NOTHING!!!

Who caress about winning right??? Why would the Raiders want to bring in any good players? We’re all set right?

• djohnnyg

Al Davis should just wave the white flag, cuz it’s obvious the old man has given up anyway. Hell, why even try?

He should do professional sports a favor and just fold the freaking franchise, or sell it for a few bucks and let someone who actually cares about quality, and dare I say WINNING, run the team.

• RaiderNsuede

Joey Porter?

• souldogdave

Just read this thread, pretty good football talk for the first 88 posts…Then the turd in the punchbowl, Richochet, started his usual venom.The guy needs professional help.