Raiders still watch from afar

Bruce Allen’s skin remains as thick as ever.

Rest assured the signing of Larry Johnson and his checkered history won’t be received well in Washington, but that didn’t prevent the Redskins from signing him before he had a chance to visit Oakland.

As the senior assistant under Al Davis, Allen not only didn’t care when the Raiders were criticized in the media. He almost seemed amused by it.

Johnson, provided the Raiders were truly interested in signing him, is a not a significant loss. He hasn’t been the same back since carrying 416 times in the 2006 season.

Washington did have the right idea with regard to a contract. According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, it was three years and $3.5 million with incentives that could bring it to $12 million. And it’s doubtful much has been guaranteed.

Meanwhile, according to Philly.com, Justin Fargas will strike out in Philadelphia after not getting contract offers in Kansas City and Cleveland.

He’s scheduled to be at the Commitment to Excellence awards dinner Saturday night, where he’ll receive the honor along with tight end Zach Miller.

Fargas probably won’t use the same line on the crowd that he did with Philadelphia media.

“I’ve had seven tough years in Oakland and I want to compete for a championship,” Fargas said. “That’s the expected here with the organization and the fans here.”

Considering the Raiders recent history when spending big in free agency _ and they’re far from alone in coming up empty _ their strategy is sound. Wait for prices to come down, then sign players for lower salaries and minimal bonus money.

Meanwhile, linebacker Jon Alston, who did not receive a qualifying offer from the Raiders and became a restricted free agent, has signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Stabler76

I am all for change on the line.

I dont want to see the center knocked into the QB any more. Gallery seems to be the most stable, but he had a lot of health issues last year.

• RaiderDebo

Raider O Says:
    March 12th, 2010 at 9:49 pm
    1- DT SUH trade our 1st and Huff to the lions.
    2- ILB Spikes
    3- OT Tony Washington
    3- WR/ KR Jacoby Ford
    4- DE Austen Lane
    5- CB Akwasi Asnah, P Stoudamire, or Walter Thurmond.
    5- OL: Ciron Black
    7- FB

That will give us a great defense, and that should help our young and developing offense. Our Ogfense needs more than just 1 draft. We need a C, RG, RT, and a FB.
    Mario, JR, Bush, DMC, DHB, Murphy, and Chaz need to improve and develop. we still don’t know what we have with those players. They haven’t don’t much YET.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

I like everything but the Huff part. I think that guy is real good and we need him. Don’t trust Branch at free.

• priesttj

Raider O

Drafting a guy in the 3rd who’s career could be over with one mistake is not good. Even if he’s found not giulty it kills his career. I also don’t care for Jacoby Ford at that position. It also looks like McClain may drop into the 2nd with that condition.

I rather the Pouncey kid in the 3rd and a HB in the 3rd as well. Also why would you give up a safety with the talent of Huff to move up 4-5 spots? If I’m the Raiders that a stiff price you can give up a backup player but Huff’s a starter. Maybe one of the 5th’s but that’s it.

• RaiderLen

Kirk takes bad angles, over runs his gap responsiblities and gets pushed off the point of attack.

Other then that, He’s a great guy.

Simply stated, He’s miscast. Kirk Morrison is a back up at MLB on any Team that runs a 4-3.

He talks a better game then He plays.

Kirk Morrison on D = Justin Fargas on O.

• http://atm Raider O

Debo,

I dont really want to trade Huff, but I don’t think they want TK, and I’m not willing to trade any other players. I would trade all players with tenders too.

• RaiderLen

Thanks for the Football talk without the BS fellas.

Have a Great Weekend.

• http://atm Raider O

BHP,

Because SUH is a BEAST!

• RaiderDebo

priesttj Says:
    March 12th, 2010 at 10:00 pm
    Raider O

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Totally agree with you on Huff. There aren’t many free safetys in the league I’d trade him for. There’s no way I’d trade him just to move up a few spots. I’d be a little nervous about letting TK go too. People love to kill him because of his contract, but that guy is pretty good. Pouncy won’t be available in the 3rd, will he? I’ve seen some mocks that have him going in the 1st.

• http://atm Raider O

Later Len.

• Biz Markie

im finna tie ones on brudduz..hooze wit me…pass da peace pipe. peace out. im finna tells al to draft dat cat from da terpss…dat big mu fu bruce,..dats it mang, bruce protectin bruce…bruuuuuuuce in da hizzoo. oh snap on dat nephew.

• priesttj

So is Okung, T Williams, McCoy and Dez Bryant. I would love Suh but you’re giving away the store to move 5 spots at the most. When a 4th or 5th would do the trick. This is a very deep draft a 5th can get you a very good player same as we did with Murphy last year in the 4th. We could tarde down with the 49ers and still get Dan Williams. There is just way too much talent in this draft to play that kind of hand.

• http://atm Raider O

Suh and Seymour can create huge problems for OCs, add Matt S, and T Scott on passing downs and that’s a damn good Dline. J Richardson & D Bryant can play Base End one rushing Downs with T Scott as a WlB.

• http://atm Raider O

BHP,

That’s what I used to think, but R4 posted a link with draft picks value, and I don’t think a 3rd & 5th will make it happen. See for yourself above post #28.

• priesttj

3 years ago we gave away fabian Washington for a 4th and Tommy Trojan said it was smart and I cursed him for it. And still do to this day. Cover corners are extremely difficult to coem by and we have away a good one. He has started for the Ravens ever since. For a 4th!!!!!!

Mike Huff is a bonafide starter at FS and I would say one of the better FS’s in the league now. I aint giing him away to move up 5 spots. I might agree if we were in the 20′s and wanted to get into the top 5. but (5) spots for Mike Huff NO FREAKIN’ WAY!!

• http://atm Raider O

On rushing downs*

• Biz Markie

dat mike mayocks a racisst babies…hes all over dat playa russell…dats coo mang…pass dat peace pipes all daze long…ya heard me? oh snap all over dat if ya like.

• http://atm Raider O

BHP,

I like Suh more than McCoy, and I think he is the best player in this draft. He also reminds me of D Russell from USC (RIP DR). The guy destroys OLines, and he is Nasty. Look at what he did against Texas.

• priesttj

Raider O, we’re on the same page as far as his talent is concerned where we part ways is you wanting to part with a damn good FS to move up 5 spots.. again NO WAY!!

• http://atm Raider O

BHP,

I told you, according to the draft chart value posted at 28, 3rd & 5th will not make it happen.
    Now, what do you suggest? Other players, 2nd RD pick next year, etc..

• priesttj

The only way I would give up a 2nd is for next year if at all.I wuld also have to be gauranteed that Suh was at that spot and it was a lock that we culd get him, IOW draft day deal. I would give a 2nd in return for a 6th or 7th and move trade draft positions this year. Because what if McCoy last until the 8th due to both Clausen and Bradford going before we pick.

Until the draft unfolds you just can’t assume what will happen. Crabtree lasting until 10th overall. The best deals are made draft day.

• http://atm Raider O

I also like Lamarr Houston A LOT!

• http://atm Raider O

I like Suh, McCoy, Dan Williams, and Lamarr Houston. In that order.

• priesttj

That’s exactly what I’m talking about now a player like Lamarr Houston whom I like a lot in the 3rd would be awesome. This draft is just way too deep.

• priesttj

Even Geno Atkins from Georgia

• Midwest Fan

I again point to my last mock. Geno might not be around that late but there’s still a pretty good chance.

• priesttj

You may be very right Midwest I haven’t studied him. It was just a guess on my part. My point is quality talent will be there to select as late as the 5th rnd. That’s just how deep this draft is.

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

Bruce

• priesttj

Just call him “honey” Vegas!.

• Midwest Fan

With the pending rookie cap coming… Possibly. A lot of JR’s came out making this a very deep draft. That’s why I think following the draft will make or brake the Raiders this year… More so than what we do with our 1st few picks. Make or break is pretty dramatic but I think you guys understand what I’m getting at.

That’s why I try to have some fun in identifying talent. Those who don’t get picked we have an equal chance of signing.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

# priesttj Says:
    March 12th, 2010 at 8:56 pm

MR you idiot Sapp wishes he was still here getting paid he’s peobably near broke. Did you ever see him turn down a paycheck? Sapp was a loser as long as he got paid he didn’t care. He contirbuted to a losing attitude and now blames everyone except himself.

For all the flack Javon Walker gets at least he tld the owner he was stealing money. Sapp should’ve had a mask on.

…………

Alright, I’ll play.

When has Sapp given any impression that he wishes he were here? Here in what capacity?

How do you know Sapp is nearly broke?

How do you know Sapp has never turned down a paycheck? Is there a way to track all of his job offers?

Sapp a loser?

What’s his career won/loss record? I know he has a Super Bowl ring. How many pro bowls? He doesn’t sound like a loser to me.

How did Sapp “contribute” to a losing attitude? Did he have a losing attitude? How so?

Sapp blames “everyone but himself”? I’ve never heard him blame everyone…just Al Davis.

• priesttj

MR I could answer every question and it wouldn’t matter because you could just say, where’s the proof.

If you listen t Sapp talk it’s emotional, it’s never objective. That say he’s affected by someting that happened. Everybody knows he wanted another contract $5-10 mill and he didn’t get it and they gave a lot of money to TK. That’s what made him snap.

Sapp is famous for saying whatever happens in a game the “check wont change”. He’s famous for that and when a young player hears that it says compete but if we lose pick up the check and keep it movin’. He was a bad example have you ever heard anyone say they miss him………NO!! and for good reason. He was here for a retirement fund……………period

• Nnamdi21

RaiderLen Says:
    March 12th, 2010 at 9:05 pm
    Preist, Considered “experts” never revisit history on their failures.

It’s not good for business.

Your point however is revealing.

=========================

Incorrect. In the same segment he mentioned his under rating of Chris Johnson.

• Nnamdi21

priesttj Says:
    March 12th, 2010 at 11:48 pm

=========================

Sapp was on punked once and shuckin and jivin said out loud “I’m just here to collect the check heh heh!”

Kidding or not, it always sat wrong with me.

His loud mouth ramblings and Raider bashings speak for them sleves and have been refuted by other sin the know.

Sapp says what ever gets Sapp noticed so Sapp can “collect” another check.

Mind you, all Oakland has to do to shut EVERYONE up is to start winning games….

• DKnight007

# RaiderLen Says:
    March 12th, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Preist, Considered “experts” never revisit history on their failures.

It’s not good for business.

Your point however is revealing.

^^^^^^^^
    This point of view can also be used when describing Al Davis. He was once many years ago considered a great “expert”, but now he refuses to revisit history (especially the last 7 years) on his significant failures.

Guess what….it hasn’t been good for the franchise and business……

• SATANFEARS ALDAVIS

terrel owens would kill himself by week 6 if j russ is his quarterback

• Pingback: Jerry McD: Raiders still watch from afar - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!

• Pingback: Watch Live NBA | Online Gaming