Report: Raiders acquire Wimbley

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Sunday, March 14th, 2010 at 1:44 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Adam Caplan of Scout.com is reporting the Raiders have traded for linebacker Kamerion Wimbley for an undisclosed draft pick.

No confirmations yet from the Raiders or Browns, but multiple outlets are now reporting this story.

Wimbley is a former first-round draft pick from Florida State by the Cleveland Browns.

A four-year vetrean, Wimbley is coming off a 6.5 sack season and has 26.5 sacks for his career in four years as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense.

At 6-3, 255, Wimbley could be used either as an end or outside linebacker. His current skill set sounds as if he is suited to a role similar to the one second-year man Trevor Scott played for the Raiders last season. Scott was a defensive end who was shifted to outside linebacker and also played as a nickel rusher.

Wimbley is under contract through 2011. HIs contract tops out at $1,065,000 million this season and he earns $635,000 (although NFLPA listings don’t indicate if there is a void in his deal).

After getting 11 sacks as a rookie, Wimbley has had 5, 4 and 6.5, never completely fulfilling his promise. He has started all 62 games he’s played in with Cleveland after the Browns made him the 13th overall pick in the 2006 draft. The Raiders selected Thomas Howard 25 picks later in the second round at No. 38 overall.

No official word on what draft pick the Raiders surrendered, but they could be thinking they’ll be getting an extra third-round pick should Kirk Morrison get an offer sheet.

The optimist is excited because the Raiders got a a talented player with some pass rush skill to add to their defense. The pessimist thinks the Raiders just got a player who wasn’t good enough to play for Rob Ryan.

• Try Some Reality

MB – Seriously? You’d take LT over Jones? You do know we’re in 2010, don’t you? News flash, buddy. LT is washed up!!! Thomas Jones ran for 1400 yards with a 4.2 yard average. LT? Try 730 yards with a 3.3 average. And he was pulled in some critical situations which tells you what they think of him.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Why don’t we just draft a running back who knows how to run?

• jhill

Decent job? Did I miss something.

——————————————————-

Cmon man, do I really have to list all the young players we have? I said it hasn’t been perfect, but all the heat Russell is taking says a lot. Most people believe this team would be in the playoffs with consistent QB play. No problem if you disagree.

I think we are a few positions away, which I expect/hope to fill in this draft.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

jhill,

Sorry I’ve been a way for a while. As you can see with the recent roster moves, that I’ve been busy working with Davis and team to get some of the basics done.

I did not win on the argument to restructure Kelly and Huff yet. That’s still up in the air.

But happily I finally got Fargas, Warren and Green out of here!

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

picture Cable’s Jerk Off Hand settling for dinner in his mansion. “Mumsy, I had just spent the afternoon posting on a Raider blog under thy pseudonym ‘cable’s pimp hand’. I’m trying to set an example of matoooority for the youngins in there”.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

JHill, yes, list all of the young players we have. Do something to make your argument that we’re “decent”, because so far you’ve fallen short. The only thing decent about this franchise is the reality that Al Davis has to quit someday.

4eve,

I agree with you on the coaching angle. I just don’t know man. Either Wimbley’s playing Ellis’s spot or we are drafting Cody. I’ll gladly entertain other ideas on where Wimbley fits in.

• SATANFEARS ALDAVIS

funniest thing i read all year . :) today a charger fan posted . WAY TO GO L.T. GET THAT RING THEN COME BACK AND RETIRE AS A CHARGER . lol

• http://http://www.mensa.org/ Raiders Grief Counselor Albert Bigelow Paine

Mature and Raider blog shouldn’t be used in the same sentence.

• Raiders4eve

What would Redskins want from the Raiders besides 8th overall, Asmough and Seymour if we try to trade for DT Albert Haynesworth?

He seems unhappy about the team switch from 4-3 to 3-4.

• Mistabr0wn

T Jones has seen better days as well. Norv Turner is a derelict thats why LT lost carries to Sproles. Reminds me of the year Turner used Moss as a decoy! HELLO!

LT @ 80% is better than T Jones on his down side. I wouldn’t want either of them I rather Cable pulls his fat head out of his fat a$$ and use DMAC & Bush properly and get the O-line to at least a respectable level but that isnt happening anytime soon..

• SATANFEARS ALDAVIS

Scott & Shaunnessy will rotate @ LE

——————————————————-

Why do you think Scott won’t be a LB again next season?

• Tom cables pimp hand

MR… Stop, you sound ridiculous, you’ve gotta be the dumbest lil s*** on the web.lol You just ramble at the mouth and think you’re saying somethin but you’re not. Obviously you’re the type that likes to hear themselves talk. I can tell by the way you like to argue, you need a woman.lol Maybe that’s why you like to argue so much because you’re alone and angry huh? It’s alright Mr, you’ll find her, theres somebody out there for everybody.But just because you haven’t found her yet doesn’t mean you have to take ya aggressions out on the poor souls on this blog.lol(;

• Mistabr0wn

I assume Wimbley will play LB, what did they sign him for ? To be JaMeatloafs waiter ?
    HELLO

jhill,

Sorry I’ve been a way for a while.

——————————————————-

Job well done!

• Mistabr0wn

He’s just a Drama queen, get over it.
    ________

# Tom cables pimp hand Says:
    March 14th, 2010 at 4:41 pm

——————————————————-

I know it hasn’t been that long sice the season ended. Are you really telling me that last year’s theme of “If only we had consistent QB play …” has faded from your memory?

If the QB was the only thing holding us back, doesn’t that mean we had to have some pretty decent players are a few other position? I think we can legitimately argue that this team is probably 4 position away from being a legit division contender. MLB, DT, and 2 Oline positions get upgraded, we’re right there.

• jhill

I assume Wimbley will play LB, what did they sign him for

—————————————————-

Well that’s kinda what we are kicking around. Scott going from full time starter who was pretty productive, to rotational player makes no sense. I’d be more inclined to believe he was moving to MLB than rotating with Shaugnessy.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

JHill,

I agree, an MLB, run clogging DT, RG and RT should be enough to get the team right.

Of course the biggest signing in the offseason was Hue Jackson. Getting Cable away from playcalling was the whole Addition by Subtraction angle…getting Jackson was actually upgrading the position with good talent.

• Raiders4eve

I think with Wimbley trade, this team is more suitable for a 3-4 defense. A NT and MLB we would be able to implement it and it would also make us a big time blitzing team if you entertain the idea of having MM in third down situations.

LDE Shaugnessy/Richardson Rookie NT/Kelly RDE Seymour/Bryant

LOLB Wimbley ILB Howard/Morrison ILB Rookie ROLB Scott

Front seven would get better right away.

• Mistabr0wn

This would be true if we didn’t have a meathead for a coach & JaMarshmallow looming in the back ground. Not to mention Cable hasn’t done anything with the o-line in what 4 years now?

However, since our coach is a meathead and JaBiscuitsAndGravy is in the mix 5-12 is more likely.

_________

# jhill Says:
    March 14th, 2010 at 4:47 pm

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Regardless of 3-4 or 4-3 —although I see 4-3 staying…

The Raiders need to address run cloogging DT and MLB before training camp gets started.

I am also excited to see if Jackson can get Bush and DMAC going (unobstructed with pressure to give carries to Fargas) and if JaDavis actually comes into camp committed and in shape

• Mistabr0wn

With Ellis out of the mix I would assume Scott is going back to his natural position, with the signing of Wimbley I would say that is reinforced, but..

This is the Oakland Raiders we are talking about.

• jhill

I forgot about Shaugnessy opposite Seymour at DE.

Kelly is NOT a 3-4 NT. That would be a disaster IMO. 3-4 DE? Yes, but Hhheeellll to the naw to Kelly at NT.

• jhill

I would assume Scott is going back to his natural position,

——————————————————-

There was NOTHING natural about Scott at DE. He was THE reason we were in the market for Dline help last year. He was such a disaster at that position during preseason, it was embarrasing.

Shaugnessy-Kelly-Seymour-Wimbley

Wimbley-Scott-Howard

One of those 2 scenarions HAVE to be in play.

Or are we switching to the 3-4?

• Mistabr0wn

hats why I’m here to fill in the blanks for you.

:D

_______

jhill Says:
    March 14th, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I forgot about Shaugnessy opposite Seymour at DE.

Thats*

• DeuceDeuce

Interesting. Wonder what the next move will be.

Lets trade for Vickers the FB from Cleveland!

• DeuceDeuce

Ok BBQ time.

• Mistabr0wn

DE is more natural than LB! Didnt he play DE in College?

_____

# jhill Says:
    March 14th, 2010 at 4:57 pm

There was NOTHING natural about Scott at DE.

TE in college I thought.

Just talking about his awful play of the field as a DE vs his decent play as a LB.

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

Scott was actually a converted TE in college.

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

TE to DE that is

• Mistabr0wn

I thought Stryker Sulak was going to fix our LB probs.

:D

• Nnamdi21

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    March 14th, 2010 at 3:59 pm
    Cable’s jerk off hand, I understand that players look better in college than what they really are. I still think Russell’s problems are more to do with a lack of a system, coaching, or any real cohesiveness here than his lack of skills.

===========================

No Oline.

No wides.

No running game did not help his cause.

• Mistabr0wn

Scott was a decent pass rusher from DE but he was horrendus vs the run. I liked his play at LB too but adding Wimbley just makes me say Scott back to DE.
    I have no problem with him and Shaunnesy rotating.

• Mistabr0wn

Nnamdi hows that hope & change working? Still got your head buried in the sand or have you saw the light yet ?

• Nnamdi21

Oaklands had success finding DE’s the last few years.

Burgess was a disappointment in Philly.

Chris Clemmons racked up sacks here.

Shaughnessy’s showing signs.

Got production out of Ellis.

Wimbley might contribute too.

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

How about Mike Mitchell at SLB?

• Nnamdi21

Mistabr0wn Says:
    March 14th, 2010 at 5:09 pm

====================

No problem with my vision.

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

MM smashed Jacobs for a loss on a goalline stand last season, actually Jacobs came off after that hit.

• Mistabr0wn

Ok Nnamdi, your head is still up in there. I’ll check back with you in 6 months..

• http://www.ladainiantomlinson.com/ San Diego Rock City lets get Charged Up!

Whats up losers?

Nnamdi,

We traded a 3rd rd pick for Wimbley. I think this is little different than the reclamation projects you mention.

• Mistabr0wn

Nnamdi, some people that didnt even like Bush want Bush back about now.

Just sayin..

MM at LB?

Well with Howard getting a 2nd rd tender, the Wimbley trade, and Scott playing well at the position, I don’t think he’d get on the field.

• jhill

Moms was just over talking about how one of her staunch Republican Obama hater friends will be voting for Obama next election. His “save your house” thingamagigga actaully saved her house.

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

# jhill Says:
    March 14th, 2010 at 5:16 pm

MM at LB?

——–

Just throwing it out there. But i agree. Id rather MM at SS and Branch eventually to FS as originally intended, develop towards that.

What about Wimbley MLB then? It’s just confusing cos youd definitely want Howard @ Will, and I was thinking why let Morrison go when he could be utilized well @ Sam. If Wimbley converts to MLB, then you’d look at Scott as rotational behind Shaughnessy with that Pierre DE dude at RE, or Scott-Shaughnessy bookends and draft elsewhere like DT/OT.