Raiders first pick has Mayock stumped

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Thursday, April 15th, 2010 at 8:28 am in Oakland Raiders.

Mike Mayock has had the Raiders pegged early on in each of the last three years regarding their first pick in the draft and hasn’t wavered.

It would be JaMarcus Russell in 2007, Darren McFadden in 2008 and Darrius Heyward-Bey in 2009. Lots of draft analysts had the Raiders going with Russell and McFadden, but Mayock had Heyward-Bey almost a month before a few others came to the same conclusion, with most having the Maryland receiver going late in the first round or perhaps in the second.

Mayock explained on an NFL Network national conference call Wednesday that he’s not nearly as confident about the Raiders’ intentions this year.

“They’re the wild card,” Mayock said. “I’ve gotten them correct the last few years in my mock but this year I’m not sure where I’m going to go yet.”

If Oklahoma offensive tackle Trent Williams is available at No. 8, then it becomes easy.

“But I don’t think there’s any way Trent Williams is going to be there,” Mayock said.

The Raiders, Mayock said, “are height-weight-speed guys, and always have been.”

With that in mind, who are the guys the Raiders are looking very closely at? Here are some thoughts from Mayock on some of the players who fit nicely into what the Raiders are looking at but may not be what they’re looking for this year in terms of need:

Maryland OT Bruce Campbell

“If I was them I’d be patient and maybe they get him at No. 39 in the second round. I hope they don’t pull the trigger on that kid at No. 8 . . . the way I look at him and I think the majority of the league looks at him is as an exciting developmental offensive tackle prospect that could get over-drafted because of his physical prowess at the combine.”

South Florida DE Jason-Pierre Paul

“He could be a consideration, even though they traded for Kamerion Wimbley. They’ve got an awful lot of money tied up on the other side of the line with Richard Seymour.”

Rutgers OT Anthony Davis

“He’s only 20 years old, a little bit immature, but he’s a fairly gifted kid who deals with a weight problem. If he keeps his weight under control he’s got great feet for his size.”

USC safety Taylor Mays

“Height-weight-speed? He fits it to a tee. But I don’t think they’ll go with Taylor Mays. It would surprise me.”

Georgia Tech WR Demaryius Thomas

“Thomas is a 6-3, 224-pound kid who won’t run prior to the draft but the rumors were he was running a 4.38 (40-yard dash) at 224 pounds. I don’t think they’ll take him, but he’s a freakish athlete.”

I asked Mayock who would be under consideration if the Raiders simply pointed at their need to stop the run and drafted the player best suited to fit that need.

“(Gerald) McCoy and (Ndamukong) Suh will be gone. They’d be reaching for Dan Williams, who’s a real good defensive tackle,” Mayock said. “I thought Trevor Scott did a great job stepping up at outside linebacker and there’s no one at No. 8 that could step in. Unless you trade back, you’re looking at Dan Williams, a linebacker like Rolando McClain, or maybe a defensive end like Derrick Morgan of Georgia Tech.”

Mayock said he assumed both Kirk Morrison and Thomas Howard would be back, although in the case of Morrison, that’s not an assumption I’m willing to make at this point. Not when he’s due $2.521 million in salary and was given an original-round tender specifically to entice someone to give him an offer sheet.

As was the case for most restricted free agents, there was no offer sheet. But Morrison could still be used as trade bait to get another pick, which in theory, leaves McClain in play.

Note: Raiders coach Tom Cable is scheduled to talk with local writers today about the draft. I have a chat scheduled for 2 p.m., at which time that briefing should be concluded, and will have an update later . . .

• Mistabr0wn

*A Randolph

• Seymour Bush

Goodell comes up to the podium. “And with the #8 selection, the Raiders choose CJ Spiller, running back, Clemson”.

• Mistabr0wn

SeyGlen,

When you were posting on your Debo account you called me a retard for suggesting we draft a FB.

Do you want me to repost your Debo post?

• DMAC

Later peoples!

• Seymour Bush

# Mistabr0wn Says:
    April 15th, 2010 at 12:28 pm

*A Randolph
    ========================================

You think the Raiders starting power forward is A. Randolph? hahahahahahaha. What a dummass. You are a dummass 28 hours a day mistabrowndildo.

• Mistabr0wn

Nope.

____
    # Raider32 Says:
    April 15th, 2010 at 12:27 pm

I am also surprised no one is mentioning the elephant in the room Dez Bryant. Would anyone put it past Al to take him?

• Seymour Bush

# Mistabr0wn Says:
    April 15th, 2010 at 12:29 pm

SeyGlen,

Do you want me to repost your Debo post?
    =====================================

I’m not Debo. But go ahead. Normally you can get a pretty good FB in the late rounds or undrafted. But go ahead post the Debo comments. Hahahahahaha.

• Mistabr0wn

You are such a derelict jacka$$ I shouldn’t even correct you but I was talking about the Warriors.

________

# Seymour Bush Says:
    April 15th, 2010 at 12:30 pm

• Mistabr0wn

Right SeyGlen, your not Debo, BsDector, or Oakglen, you just use all the same childish derelict tactics and repeat the same phrases….at least you stopped with the dumpster takes from all your aliases.

• Bobby Bushay

I think that by looking at the Raider’s current roster, it is rather easy to decipher – it’s going to be a CB – either a converted Safety to CB in Eric Berry (ala Nnamdi)or Joe Haden. They only have three CBs on their roster now, and may not have keep Nnamdi after this year. IF they were looking to trade Nnamdi at some point this offseason, that easily explains the 1st and 3rd round tender on Routt. If they tendered him at a lower compensation, any team looking to weaken the Raiders CB situation further could have easily done so. No one was going to give up a 1st and 3rd – it wasn’t value, it was protection, folks. The Raiders will go OL in the 2nd round. DT in the 3rd round or 4th. Could get Gaither I imagine with the 2nd round pick. They may be letting the draft unfold, and with the 2nd round being the next day, the teams are looking at that day as a wheeling and dealing day. I think Friday will be as exciting as Thursday. Deals for all of the potential players available in trades will happen on Friday after teams re-evaluate their positions. Whoever they select, we can only hope that they develop and are future Pro Bowlers regardless of their position. Wouldn’t that be nice for a change!?!

• http://sportmag.us/images/Lester_Hayes_November_1981.jpg RaiderDogg

Mistabr0wn Says:
    April 15th, 2010 at 12:27 pm
    DMAC,
    Curry is no doubt special. I couldn’t ask anything more from that kid. However, the 42 he put up last night is a by-product of a roster in shambles, he was just poppin em off right & left. If Maggette, B Wright, A Wright, Biedrins are on the floor he wouldn’t come close to 42 but we have a special point guard, finally”

Mista

Are you really Matt Steinmetz? This post is exactly what Steinmetz said on the postgame show last night, almost verbatum.

That’s the beauty of Curry. He can put up 42 if needed but he can also create and distribute in a way that is more veteran than rookie. Just imagine what he would be like with a consistent big man in the middle.

Ellis also put up 34 last night. I think that they should keep him, although they may be able to get something sweet in return for him. That was a crazy ending too, watching George come back in with 6 fouls.

• Seymour Bush

# Mistabr0wn Says:
    April 15th, 2010 at 12:32 pm

________

# Seymour Bush Says:
    April 15th, 2010 at 12:30 pm

====================================

You’re such a douche you don’t know what the fook you’re talking about do you?

• Raider32

Okay…. Out of left field, could the Raiders put enough of a package together for Roethlisberger if the Steelers decided to get rid of him. This years number 8 might net them Clausen and the Steelers revert to their old school run game for a year or two.

• Seymour Bush

Here let me elaborate:

# Mistabr0wn Says:
    April 13th, 2010 at 11:47 pm

I’ll repeat this for you once more meathead.

FB is our second need on the offense after O-line…We have no FB! You want a good running game? You have to have FB unless you like Luke Walton & Gary Russell!

Nitwit!
    =======================================

Funny I thought Luke Walton actually played power forward for the LA Lakers. And yet you are calling others nitwits! You are always complaining about Barak Obama, I’ll bet you couldn’t find your ass with help from Obama’s entire Secret Service detail helping you!

• http://ibbahttp://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo249/the408RAIDER/749px-I-420svg.png 4evaRaider

GREAT 2C U Dogg!!!!

Big Al wouldnt pay Nnamdi like he did and let him leave,imo.Big Al in 4da long haul….RCB is LOCKED DOWN

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

Oakglenn Says:
    June 8th, 2009 at 12:28 pm
    Anyone with half a brain can see that Jamarcus Russell is a bonafide franchise Q.
    ============================

• HairyBush

Chris, thanx for the helpful info.

• HairyBush

Chris, It is not in the Berkshires. (I wish) out of my price range.

• HairyBush

My 18 month old daughter just woke up from her nap with her diaper in her hand full of sheet! She smeared it on her face like the Ultimate warrior, and all over the crib! She had a proud look on her face! This should be fun.

• CRACKRAIDER

I wouldnt mind trading are first round pick For BIG BEN!!

• No Mas Diamante

Luke Walton is a bit tall for a full back…

• No Mas Diamante

Offer our second and C. Frye to the Steelers for Big Ben…

• No Mas Diamante

Ben is not worth a first IMO…

• JaMarcus Boucher

Mamma says I no good at fools ball.

• manassamauler

joe haden will be our first round pick. yea we need am LT but the 2 beasts will be gone so we’ll get a dominating corner in haden who specializes in M2m cov. . It’ll be a great pick actually. haden would probably end up being our best first round pick since? aso? yeah. davis is counting on bruce campbell to be there in the second round, and he may be right, i hope. makes sense.

• Pingback: Jerry McD: Raiders first pick has Mayock stumped - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!