Better late than . .

Tied up with the live blog and Tom Cable press briefing, still waiting for Rolando McClain conference call . . .

– Great common sense pick by Raiders. Unlike last year, where DHB pick was greeted with laughter, most everyone nodded their heads and seemed pretty impressed by selection of McClain.

Cable said McClain had the size of a guard, could defend receivers, and was instrumental in getting Alabama teammates to put defensive tape on discs so they could go over it together.

– Said Raiders are still a 4-3 team, but alluded to the possibility of some “new” wrinkles. Being more multpile, changing things up . . . I like the sound of that.

– Kirk Morrison is now “depth,” but don’t expect on him being a reserve linebacker at 2.51 million this year. He’ll be traded or cut, like Danny Clark/Greg Biekert.

– Someone on the on-line chat says Morrison and Thomas Howard were tweeting up a storm until McClain was picked. Since then . . . crickets.

– Will check in later, back to live blog and other duties . . .

– Hey, wasn’t there at least one person in the local media who had the Raiders taking McClain?

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• kseven

I love McClain’s size. That alone is going to go a long way toward helping this D. Morrison is a hard worker, but McClain is huge by comparison—not to mention his other advantages.

Morrison: 6’2 240
    McClain: 6’4 254

• fat kidd

stoopidmike Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:17 pm
    fat kidd Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:14 pm
    save this post and rub in my face at the end of the year,if you can, but cj spiller is the next adrian peterson ,and we just passed on adrian peterson
    —————————————-
    I remember They said DMAC was the next AP too
    …………………………………………i did not think we should pick dmac when we did ,isaid he would not make it the nfl ,unless your confusing me with jerry jones

• 24

Are we expecting the 2nd round pick to be good because the 1st round pick was? I mean…we’re bound to eff up one of these picks right?

# NorthernD Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Raiders4eve
    Who would you take as a potential NT?

^^^^^^^^
    Cody as a NT…..Houston would be solid pick as well. But he is more of a 3 technique.

The key is not REACHING for fast CB who can be found later in the draft or a safety.

The Raiders need to stop the run and be able to run the ball and get to being physical!

• kseven

A CB already? Save that for next year. Our secondary is already pretty damn good.

jhill Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:27 pm

We need a CB and a DT with the next 2 picks

^^^^^^^^^
    Nooooo freakin reaching with a CB with this 2nd Round pick!

This draft is DEEP at the nickel CB position and someone like Javier Arenas can be had in Round 3!

• fat kidd

DKnight007 Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:28 pm
    # NorthernD Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Raiders4eve
    Who would you take as a potential NT?

^^^^^^^^

we draft king kong it wont matter dmac is a bust,he cant run the ball, game over,tilt,finished,done ,not worth a fukk,dead horse,kapput,wtf,the end

• 24

Unless Huff plans on moving to corner, I don’t think our corner depth is very good. Asomugha is Excellent, Johnson is Good, Routt is terrible and who else do we have thats worth a damn? I hate to say this but if there is a corner thats decent in the later rounds, I say draft him.

• priesttj

A true NT like Cody doesn’t fit in our scheme, but that won’t stop them from asking for one. Lamarr Houston is a better fit as well as others even Brian Price. he OT I would like to get is Charles Brown. However I’ll take an interior lineman if he’s more talented. Just get some depth on that line.

• stoopidmike

NorthernD Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:26 pm
    Raiders4eve Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:21 pm
    Bruce Campbell reminds alot the Jets workout warrior Gholston. If I am the Raiders, I am hoping we dont touch him.
    ==========================
    He has bust written all over him. Too top heavy.
    Gallery had the same problem coming out
    ————————————-
    They were top 5 picks though.I like campbell in 2nd.Thank god AL didnt take hm in 1st.Could be worst.We took mitchell (7th rd projection) in 2nd so campbell aint that bad.1st combine star i can think of that didnt go 1st rd

• djohnnyg

I’m tellin’ ya, I watched A TON of SEC football this past year, and a lot of Brandon Spikes his entire career there, and in my opinion, he is the best linebacker (next to McClain) in the entire country. He is going to be a big time stud. If we get him we will have best linebacker tandem for years to come.

• JB

I think we may be seeing Huff at CB this year. Nhamdi & Huff @ CB and Branch & Mitchell at Safeties.

• DKnight007

Screw CB in the 2nd round….when one can be had in Round 3 and 4 to put in the rotation in nickel and dime packages.

Need DT, OT, Center or PHYSICAL POWER RB like Gerhardt or a multi purpose threat like McCluster.

Clausen should be the wild card.

• stoopidmike

Funny how #52 and #53 still ain’t saying nothing on twitter.Its like they are acting like nothing happened.You can bet if another position besides LB was drafted,they’d be saying something.Weird

• jhill

Your CB paranoia is HILARIOUS!

CB depth

1 Nnamdi
    2 Routt
    3 Chris Johnson
    4 Not one on the roster

CB is a huge need my friend.

# stoopidmike Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:37 pm

^^^^^^^^^
    I’m thinking one of them will be TRADED tomorrow for a 3rd or 4th.

• jhill

A true NT like Cody doesn’t fit in our scheme,

——————————————————

“Our” scheme changed last year with Marshall. I wouldn’t rule anything out at this point. Casey Hampton is always in the dogg house for weight issues and he’s not a bad player for the Steelers, eh?

Wouldn’t be mad at all if we drafted Cody.

• stoopidmike

24 Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:28 pm
    ——————————
    Well said! We can’t be this lucky,can we? This almost seems to be going too well.We have a great 1st rd pick (uncharacteristic) and our 2nd is set up sweet.I’m waiting for the stink bomb.

# jhill Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:39 pm

Your CB paranoia is HILARIOUS!

CB depth

1 Nnamdi
    2 Routt
    3 Chris Johnson
    4 Not one on the roster

CB is a huge need my friend.

^^^^^^^^^
    Not paranoid, but I realize that a backup CB can be added later in this draft for depth purposes.

Only CB worth a damn now IMO….is Chris Cook because of his size, length and smooth transition skills.

There are still better players on the board ahead of him going into this 2nd Round.

• fat kidd

we blew it today we will blow it tomorrow ,the fat lady is singing ,last year we were 5-11 this year we will need a ladder to see 5-11.

• jhill

Screw CB in the 2nd round….when one can be had in Round 3

—————————————————–

As I initially said, we need CB and DT with the next 2 picks. I think the 3rd rd is one of our next 2 picks, right?

• stoopidmike

djohnnyg Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:36 pm
    ————————————-
    Hah,somebody sees my point…….POST 282

• jhill

——————————————————

So why not take him in rd 2 and Cam Thomas in rd 3?

Instead of getting a CB not worth a damn in rd 3?

• JB

When does the Green Spot sticker transfer take place when Morrison passes it along to McClain? I seriously wonder if Morrison will even be on the roster by mini-camp time.

What’s the scoop on Linval Joseph? Is he our missing link? I’m not high on Cody and feel he will only be a part-time player in the NFL. Weight & conditioning problems are not easily fixed. what about further down the list – Jeff Owens? Nick Petrus-OG in the 3rd round should also be a consideration.

• NorthernD

DKnight007 Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:39 pm
    # stoopidmike Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:37 pm

^^^^^^^^^
    I’m thinking one of them will be TRADED tomorrow for a 3rd or 4th.
    ================================
    If they keep both, it should be a good indication they might be leaning towards a 3-4 next year.

• jhill

Rolando McClain was an outstanding pick.

With the 3 new starting LBs we’ll have, we will no longer see basic screen plays go for long TDs.

Or a simple one cut lead to an untouched 40 yd run.

Great fuggin pick!

• NorthernD

DKnight007 Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:28 pm
    # NorthernD Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:24 pm

Raiders4eve
    Who would you take as a potential NT?

^^^^^^^^
    ===================================
    So it looks like Cody or fill the position via free agency or a training camp cut.
    Another Ted Washington type to fill the hole.

• jhill

Linval Joseph, DT, East Carolina
    6-4 ½, 328
    Has really come on as the draft approaches. Has strength, size, speed and power. His best days are ahead.

——————————————————-

Would be a MONSTER addition in rd 2!

• stoopidmike

NorthernD Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:47 pm
    DKnight007 Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:39 pm
    # stoopidmike Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:37 pm

^^^^^^^^^
    I’m thinking one of them will be TRADED tomorrow for a 3rd or 4th.
    ================================
    ———————————–
    True dat,would like to see morrison and McClain together.Wonder what AL wants? Despite the knocks on Cody, I think him and McClain got some chemistry.Would be interesting for sure.I’m sure if he’s available,the team will hit up McClain for his opinion

• DKnight007

Gil Brandts best available: Hmm….Linvel Joseph might have more upside than Cody and Price! Saffold would be a good pick also cause he can play either tackle spot and can move inside IF need be.

• armond

the sooner we get rid of morrison the better. if we can get a 4th or 5th for him 2morrow just do it. mcclain is now the future and not a minute too soon. id take charles brown or cody over a corner right now jhill. hell id take everson griffin if hes there before all of them. if we are to use our 2nd or 3rd for a dt then just give it to washington for haynesworth. i wouldnt take a cb over a T or G who can play right now although i do agree with cook being the guy if we do go db.

# jhill Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:52 pm

Linval Joseph, DT, East Carolina
    6-4 ½, 328

——————————————————-

Would be a MONSTER addition in rd 2!

^^^^^^^^^
    Agreed…..he has more every down upside than Cody also.

• Raiders4eve

NorthernD

My first choice would be MT Cody
    My second choice would be Linval Joseph

If both get drafted before our pick, I would draft Charles Brown or Rodger Saffold as our starting RT.

If all of these guys are gone, then I would go for Brian Price or Cam Thomas

If we lose on all these guys, then I would try to trade down and pick up more picks.

# jhill Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:46 pm

——————————————————

So why not take him in rd 2 and Cam Thomas in rd 3?

Instead of getting a CB not worth a damn in rd 3?

^^^^^^^^
    Better overall players on the board at bigger positions of need IMO.

• armond

listening to cable i wouldnt be surprised if we take gerhardt with 1 of the next 2 picks. he mentioned backfield as a target of need. i expect this to be a physical based type of draft. now that best is off the board the only speed guy im interested in is trindon holliday as our wr/rb/kr later in this draft.

• stoopidmike

Even sweeter that the donk’s wanted McClain.

• jhill

McClain was part of Nick Saban’s first recruiting class at Alabama, spending three years learning under one of the game’s most respected defensive coaches. McClain was one of the key cogs in Saban’s rapid turnaround at Alabama, helping the Crimson Tide win the national championship last season.

Alabama ranked 46th in the nation in run defense before McClain arrived before improving to 28th his freshman year and second in his final two seasons. He won the Butkus Award as the top college linebacker, recording 105 tackles, including 14.5 for losses.

——————————————————-

Someone posted that McClain was at Bama before Saban got there and wasn’t very productive. Said Saban turned McClain and Cody into players based on his scheme.

I’ll just say again that I’m very happy to have him on board and glad to know that we won’t have to see any more Captain Kirk specials.

• priesttj

He might see your point but he doesn’t understand positions. Brandon Spikes is a MLB ONLY we just drafted a MLB ONLY why in the world would we spend more money on another one. You see us get another safety brfore we do that.

Guy’s you first have to understand what you’re asking for and why the coaches on the team would WANT what you’re asking for. This isn’t fantasy football it’s NFL football. If you know the player fits what we do then YES but why would we get 2 MLB’s in one draft?? yet you guy’s hammer Mr Davis about what you call doing stupid things and all you do is ask him to do them. But when they gpo awry he’s stupid old man. While you all forget it’s exactly what you wanted at the time. I’m talking Russell, DMC and many others. Including Gallery you all get amnesia.

• JB

I’d much prefer Joseph over Cody. We definitely need a NT to complete our D-line. I also want to get started on our O-line too.

3rd Petrus-ROG
    4th Tennant-C
    5A Conner-FB
    5B Washington-ROT.

• DKnight007

Gerhardt would provide this team with a big time multi purpose PHYSICAL RB who can also play FB, run between tackles, block…..run a bit outside….convert goal line and short yardage TD’s and can catch the ball out of the backfield.

• jhill

I can’t say I’d be mad at CB in rd 2 until I see who we end up with at DT in rd 3. If you guys are telling me that Cook is pretty much the last CB in the draft worth a damn then your not helping your argument.

I’m leaning towards Joseph in rd 2, but you guys are making me look hard at CB if I can’t get a decent one in rd 3.

• stoopidmike

Nice that there’s a good 10-15 guys i would love to have and we are at #7.We will have a shot at a stud.As long as AL doesnt throw us a wrench.Like last year when we had Brace in our spot and AL trades down

• Guy

IF I were Davis, I would target:
    1.Cody
    2.L. Joseph
    3.Cam Thomas
    4.Charles Brown
    5.Saffold
    6.Ducasse
    7.Clausen
    8.Campbell

# stoopidmike Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 9:58 pm

Even sweeter that the donk’s wanted McClain.

^^^^^^^^
    We screwed the Donks, Jags and Giants. They all wanted McClain…maybe even Miami also.

• stoopidmike

I think this years draft format is tight.I like how the 1st flew by with 10 minute picks,and now its almost like gearing up for another 1st round.I’m stoked on this draft more than ever,and I live for the draft in previous years.The previous format was too long,took forever to get to your teams pick.Loved the trades too,many of them.

# Guy Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 10:03 pm

IF I were Davis, I would target:
    1.Cody
    2.L. Joseph
    3.Cam Thomas
    4.Charles Brown
    5.Saffold
    6.Ducasse
    7.Clausen
    8.Campbell

^^^^^^^^
    Solid ranking for tomorrow picks. I would put Saffold is ahead of Brown and Joseph ahead of Cody.

# stoopidmike Says:
    April 22nd, 2010 at 10:05 pm

^^^^^^^^^
    I like the format also…..

• RaiderRetribution

I’m so excited the Raiders drafted Mr. Rolando McClain, excellent MLB, a leader and a champion.

although i do have one question

• SilverAndBlackBleeder

Wow, Al trusted film instead of the combine and got us a real player. Next thing u know, we’ll really do something smart and trade our 2nd rd pick and reunite Hue Jackson with his monster tackle Gaither.

• http://CableBumaye 909RaiderLifer

HA! from http://twitter.com/WhitlockJason

“Tim Tebow the most talked about white bronco since OJ and AC.”

“Denver just made the worst move since Whitney Houston picked up a crack pipe.”

LOL!