Jared Veldheer Q&A

A transcription of a conference call with Jared Veldheer, the Raiders’ third-round draft pick:

Q: You visited with Al Davis, what was that like?

Veldheer: It was a great honor to be able to meet a football legend like Mr. Davis. To be able to meet with the guy who put the league where it is today was a very special thing. He had said that he watched my tape and liked the way he played. He discussed with me how he wants to win another Super Bowl. I told him I’m definitely on board with that and I’d love to help the team out.

Q: When did you know you were going to Raiders?

Veldheer: It was when I got that call, when Coach Cable gave me the call there. It definitely felt right. The visit I had out to Oakland went very well. The workout I had at Hillsdale with Coach Michalczik went very well as well. All the signs pointed toward Oakland I’m really glad it worked out. I’m really excited to be an Oakland Raider.

Q: When was visit to Oakland and how long was the meeting with Al Davis?

Veldheer: I was able to sit down and talk to him for about 20 minutes.

Q: When was visit?

Veldheer: It was a week and a half ago.

Q: When did it sink in that you might become an NFL player?

Veldheer: It’s always been a dream of mine to play in the NFL. So, going into college that was something that I still had my sights on. There’s a guy from our league that had gone (pro) and been drafted in the fourth round by the Eagles, been playing well with the Eagles. That was my goal was to make it to that next level. As every year developed and went on, I kept getting better, I kept getting stronger and faster, and that dream became a reality, especially that junior year. I had a very good season and a good Junior Day. Then this season went well, everything leading up to the draft, the combine, the all-star game, everything went awesome. Ending it tonight with Oakland picking me with that 69th pick in the draft, it’s been an unbelievable journey and it’s an unbelievable start to my next chapter in life. I’m very excited for it.”

Q: Were you recruited by any Division I schools, or just D-II schools Hillsdale and Michigan?

Veldheer: Yeah, I was recruited by Central Michigan, Western Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue. But, I was part of a Wing-T offense in high school and finished my career playing center. So, maybe that’s how I was able to fall through the cracks, be overlooked. But I ended up at Hillsdale. My brother played basketball there, graduated in 2001, so I was already familiar with the school. It’s a great school academics-wise, a great team, great football coaches and it was a great fit for the last 4 ½ years.

Q: What kind of offense did you run at Hillsdale?

Veldheer: Yeah, we ran a lot of pretty much any multi-formational single-back offense. We didn’t do a whole lot of two-back stuff. But we would go spread, double-tight, out of a one-back formation, a lot of inside-zone.

Q: Colts O-line coach and former 49er Howard Mudd went to Hillsdale. Have you met him?

Veldheer: Yeah, actually I got a chance to meet coach Mudd a couple of years ago. He came in to Hillsdale, talked with the coaches and did a little clinic. I was able to be a part of that and talk to him a little bit. He gave me a little insight into what to expect in the future and how to get to that next level. He’s talked to us before a few games and he’s a great part of Hillsdale football.”

Q: Are you comfortable in a zone blocking scheme?

Veldheer: Yeah, I’m very comfortable with outside zone, inside zone. We used to do a lot of counter stuff. Not so much this year, but the way we block our counter is pretty much how teams block power. So, I’m pretty familiar, pretty comfortable with how those run-blocking schemes work.

Q: How much did it help you shining in those all-star games?

Veldheer: Oh, it was a great opportunity to prove that (I belonged). I think that almost helped me even more than the combine, being able to go there and show them that I belong at that game and that I belong at the next level.

Q: Looking forward to lining up against Seymour in practice?

Veldheer: “Yeah, absolutely. I can’t wait. I can’t wait to start the hard work as a Raider, that’s for sure.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Random Drug Tester

1st

• Random Drug Tester

Real MaddenRaider is not welcome to this blog topic.

• SharkCatcher

sounds like a good kid

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ng4yHw2xk&feature=PlayList&p=E565EF0DE2F587FA&playnext= Raider75

Hope he makes a difference

• jasonpaul8

insane… we have a winner

• Random Drug Tester

Why does MaddenRaider come here?

• Random Drug Tester

He hates us……….we hate him.

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

This one is a true find.

• Random Drug Tester

Ravens grabbed some good Defensive players

• The Return of Godliness

I’m sorry but I’m not on board…….we still have no Run stuffer….the 2nd round moves were trash IMO just to get a 3 tech DT. So I guess that means Tommy Kelly is done after this year….whatever that is all fine and dandy but who will play for the NT for us? Who lines up over center and takes on the double team to free up Kelly for one on one? Exactly no one because Lamarr Houston is not big enough. Great the Rolando McClain pick now means nada……Good job Raider front office brass…..lol then you get a small school OT who wont be shyt like Paul McQuistan……….awful day

• The Return of Godliness

# Random Drug Tester Says:
    April 23rd, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Ravens grabbed some good Defensive players
    *********************

Yep we let them take our NT…now Ravens will stay dominant on defense lol…..boy we fuked up today

• Random Drug Tester

Kindle and Cody at 43 and 57

• Random Drug Tester

I think we fumbled, broke some tackles by trading down, but picked the wrong guys in the end.

• aig

Kindle is gonna be a stud but I’m not sold on Cody. I think he is going to have a huge weight problem once he gets the money. Maybe Ray Lewis and team can keep him in line but not in our culture.

I think there are some NT’s and Guards to be had tomorrow.

• Random Drug Tester

we could have grabbed Cody, and then gone Oline the rest of the way except for 1 FB and 1 KR/PR guy.

• The Return of Godliness

# Random Drug Tester Says:
    April 23rd, 2010 at 11:32 pm

*********************

Yep the Rolando McClain pick means shyt now unless we get Cam Thomas tomorrow….its gonna be another joke at the DT position again….al gonna try and have 3 tech guys play nose tackle…..we are in big trouble

• Random Drug Tester

Cody has shown a willingness to improve since Mississippi and McLaine would have probably made him continue that.

• The Return of Godliness

# aig Says:
    April 23rd, 2010 at 11:33 pm

I think there are some NT’s and Guards to be had tomorrow.
    **********************

Oh yeah I forgot 2nd round draft picks get paid sooooooooooo much money….you crazy? Ravens are established elite defense and know how to draft…..we made a good pick Thursday just to fuk it off today! Good job Raider front office brass

• The Return of Godliness

# Random Drug Tester Says:
    April 23rd, 2010 at 11:36 pm

*********************

Yep and now Ray Lewis can motivate him lol…good job Al!!! Wait to ignore our biggest need on defense still lol

• Random Drug Tester

Ravens know D and they took Cody…should be good enough for us too.

• SaintKaufman

We use that 6th rounder from NE and jump up first thing tomorrow morning and take Cam Thomas. We would have a huge DLine with McClain backing ‘em up! Wow.

• The Return of Godliness

Im willing to bet b!tch ass Priest comes in here raving about Lamarr Houston being the greatest thing since slice bread……whatever! He may turn out to be a good 3 tech DT but he will never be a good stout NT that takes on 2 blockers

• The Return of Godliness

# Random Drug Tester Says:
    April 23rd, 2010 at 11:38 pm

Ravens know D and they took Cody…should be good enough for us too.
    ****************

Leave it up for the residential idiots of the blog and they think otherwise….I mean after all the last decade the ravens organization has had the best defense in the NFL overall, but they didnt know what they were doing lol

• The Return of Godliness

# SaintKaufman Says:
    April 23rd, 2010 at 11:39 pm

**********************

If we dont get Cam Thomas this draft was for nada

• The Return of Godliness

Bad enough we let Cody and Joseph get away to draft a fuking Under Tackle!

• The Return of Godliness

All you idiots who think we had a good draft so far are f@ggots and will be upset come fall if we dont draft Cam Thomas….I guarantee you 6 wins max…and it seems Russell is gonna start lol…what a fawkin joke!

• SaintKaufman

DT is still on the table. Cable has said 2X that Houston is there to be a DE. Thomas would be a bad ass pick.

• RaiderMario420

Repost: Guys I like on the final day:
    LeFevour, Dan QB Central Michigan
    Kafka, Mike QB Northwestern
    Blount, LeGarrette RB Oregon
    Mitchell, Carlton WR South Florida
    Campbell, Bruce OT Maryland
    Carter, Brandon OG Texas Tech
    Thomas, Cam DT North Carolina
    Owusu-Ansah, Akwasi CB Indiana (PA)
    Rolle, Myron SS Florida State (sorry, love this guy)

• Raiders4eve

The Return of Godliness

You mistaken homie. First of all, L Houston won’t even play DT if u kindly researched what Cable said, he is going to play DE. Second, Cable also said it ain’t done drafting interior lineman in both positions, third our third round pick was projected as a second rounder drafted by either cowboys or colts so other teams would have taken him. Fourth, there are many NTs available Cam Thomas, Jay Ross two guys on top of my mind, fifth, our draft is not yet done and we picked three good players according to most experts unlike last yr when we got laughed at.

Bottom line, stop whining like a little girl when things are moving in the right direction just cause your guy wasn’t picked doesn’t mean we blew it. If you read my post I was saying we need Cody in our defense but drafting Houston ain’t bad to replace a lousy guy in TK. I also wanted Linvel Joseph but I will settle with his colleque in crime Jay Ross or Cam Thomas.

• RaiderMario420

Ryan Mallett for QB in 2011!

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

Yeah, I’m over Tebow for instance already. And I see a lot of positivity in this Raiders approach this off-season with acquisitions.

Rome wasn’t built in a day.

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

ie, i dont think there’s any reason to be negative at all. The guys we got are all solid players and address important areas, not reaches or taking a 10th Safety.

• RaiderRetribution

Mr. Houston over the top, Touchdown Raiders at the goal-line.

You heard it here first!

• RaiderRetribution

He played running-back before playing DL and he also blocked as a full back in goal-line situations.

Raiders have their own Iron-Man.

• raiders22

you guys who are complaining are a bunch of crybaby little marks. this is by far the best draft weve had in the past 4 years, scouts know a lot more than you do. heck of a draft, im actually excited for once as a raider fan, especially with the rest of the divisions pick. we have the best afc west draft by far. yeeeeeeeeeeeeee

• xfactor247

Taped a bunch of the Combine and just noticed that our D-Line coach Wauffle, the new one from the Giants, was running D-Line field drills for the group with Lamar Houston…must have liked what they saw.

• stvvon

Great Pick, I been looking at this guy, Hillsdale is a very conserivative college, politically, and I am impressed with the choice of this small school product as I was with Trevor Scott from Buffalo. The Raiders do their best work after round 2. I think Jared V. will be really good. This is a really good pick.
    And yes we do need more beef along both lines. why is Cambell still out there? Thought the ESPN guys says he was a 1st rounder. Cambell is this years Vernon Gholston.)DE/LB NYJets pick