Lemarr Houston Q&A

A transcription of an interview with Bay Area writers by Raiders’ second round pick Lemarr Houston:

Note: Quality of phone connection was poor . . . here’s a reasonable account . . .

Q: Raiders give you clues they wanted you?

Houston: Not at all, actually. I talked to them at the combine, and that was about it. That was the end of that. It didn’t really cross my mind that I’d be a Raider.

Q: When did you first hear from them? Right before the pick?

Houston: Yeah. Coach Cable called on the phone and asked if I was ready to come in and work hard. I told him yes. On Sunday, I’m really excited about being a Raider and being in Raider Nation.

Q: You have Northern California roots . . .

Houston: I was born in San Francisco, and I lived in Oakland, Vallejo – all over in the Bay Area. Sacramento, Hercules. And then I went up there this spring to visit my family that lives in San Francisco. And while I was out there (inaudible) to the combine. I still have my ties and my family in California, and I’m just coming home to my home away from home.

Q: What can you bring to help this team’s run defense?

Houston: I’m bringing a physical attitude. A physical attitude, someone whose motor is high and ready to play football. So I’m excited about trying to change the face of the Raiders defense and (inaudible) Richard Seymour.

Q: How’d you move up so far in draft status in the past year?

Houston: think it was a blessing from God, really. That’s what it was. I worked hard, I did things on the side and God has just truly blessed me so far.

Q: You know Rolando McClain at all?

Houston: I met Rolando McClain briefly, but I do know Mike Huff.

Q: Did you two overlap at Texas?

Houston: No, he left the year I came in.

Q: You played RB in high school, how’d you wind up on the line?

Houston: Well, I was a running back in high school at 265. And then when I came to college I was 276. So I played defensive end for two years and did pretty good there. We had a guy at defensive tackle, (inaudible), that graduated at the time and (inaudible-inaudible-inaudible). Coach (Inaudible) told me I could do it, and I stepped up to the plate, accepted the job and tried to change it around for myself.

Q: Does tackle fit you better?

Houston: I think playing tackle does fit me better, it gives me more of an advantage over offensive linemen, with guards not being as quick or sometimes the guards, they’re quicker or they’re not strong or not as fast, so I think it’s a perfect combination for me because I have strength and speed to use against them. I’m very excited playing tackle.

Q: What did Raiders say when they called you?

Houston: Coach Cable just said, are you ready to come in and work, he wants me to come in and help change this team now and not five years from now. So that’s what I’m excited about.

Q: What was the New York experience like?

Houston: There’s noting like it and I’m so pleased I accepted this trip and the invitation. All I’m saying is that if anybody is invited in the future to New York I would definitely take the invitiation.

Q: Worth it despite all the time waiting?

Houston: It was very much worth it.

Q: Could you come in and start right away if they needed you to?

Houston: Yes, I do. Yes I do.

Q: What’s your attitude, mean and nasty, play hard with a high motor?

Houston: I’m a silent killer.

Q: Scouting reports said you could play end in 3-4, some experience as end, is that one of your strengths?

Houston: That is, that’s exactly what I did with coach Muschamp. Coach Muschamp brought the 3-4 defense into our school and had me playing defensive end and defensive tackle (inaudible) He prepared me for the NFL and brought some of the complexity of those schemes to my college and I’m ready to use those against guys in the NFL, and I’ll be able to learn quicker, pickup my plays and get ready to go.

Q: Any indication at all talking with Raiders how they might use you, or was it all preliminary?

Houston: I talked to coach Waufle, who’s coming from the Giants, he’s got a great history with the defensive line. He was there for six years, and won a Super Bowl (inaudible) I’m very excited about this, the things that the Raiders are doing. They’re making moves, I think they’re doing it under the radar right now but I think it will show up this year and this season.

Q: Who went to New York with you?

Houston: My mother and my father and my family.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Seymour Bush

# The Return of Godliness Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 12:54 am

Was it? He wasn’t even one of the top 10 DT’s taken. You’re starting to not make sense unless you want to make the claim that you know more than 25 Paid NFL GM’s.
    ***********************

Again do I need to name GMs over the years that completely missed it? you dont want me to go there because then you will lose……….again
    ==================================

That’s a ridiculous statement. We’re not talking about what has happened in the history of the world. We are talking about Terrance Cody, who you claim is this great player, yet two or three of his team mates were drafted before him, he had trouble making grades, he was a JUCO transfer, who came to the combine bloated. And you think this guy is great? You have to claim you know more than 25 GM’s to do that.

• Random Drug Tester

25 GM’s don’t need a NT

• Seymour Bush

# The Return of Godliness Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 12:57 am

Yeah in high school? Explain why Russell cant get it right
    ==============================

It’s not one reason, it’s a ton of reasons. Russell has not put the work in, he has two rookie wide outs, the Oline is not very good without Gallery, Dmac coughs it up repeatedly, he is dealing with a rookie playcaller, you can go on and on. That’s why he can’t get it right.

• The Return of Godliness

# aig Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 12:58 am

Crakhead,

That article was relating to why TO balked at the Niners trading him to the Ravens…if you bothered reading you’d realize that. If you bothered to know anything about the league you’d know that by now. That story has been around for years and it only took me 2 secs to google the fcking story.

Who’s the dubm a##?
    **********************

First, you mental midget I’ve never done crack in my life….now if you said cokehead from ym old days hey i cant really go against ya….at least get it right

Also TO did that diva schit because he wanted to play with McNabb the whole way…..Who was the QB in Bmore then? Yeah exactly..after playing with Garbage-cia he was gonna downgrade lol

• Seymour Bush

# Random Drug Tester Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 1:01 am

25 GM’s don’t need a NT
    ==============================

From the sounds of you guys yes they do. As more teams go to a 3/4 alignment, dudes that are 6’3″, 360 and somewhat athletic don’t just fall out the sky every nine seconds.

• Random Drug Tester

and he was the 10th DT taken…not all were NT’s.

• Random Drug Tester

so you guys are backing the choice of Veldheer over Cody?

• The Return of Godliness

# Seymour Bush Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 1:01 am

# The Return of Godliness Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 12:57 am

Yeah in high school? Explain why Russell cant get it right
    ==============================

**************************

Did Dmac cough it up vs Jets,Giants,Houston,SD(2nd game), how about KC the second time around? Dmac lost 3 fumbles all season so your BS doesnt apply here

Gallery? LOL next

Yeah Cable sucked as a playcaller I agree but why did offense look better when Grads was in the game?

Blaming the rookie wideouts is a joke. Russell couldnt hit britney spears with her legs wide open

• Random Drug Tester

don’t bother responding…I’m out anyways.

(tired from celebrating Montreal’s win over the Washington Capitalists)

• The Return of Godliness

# Random Drug Tester Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 1:05 am

so you guys are backing the choice of Veldheer over Cody?
    ******************************

Veldheer was taken when cody had already been gone to Bmore

• The Return of Godliness

Yeah Im out too……going to Sac tomorrow for Seyi Ajirotutu’s draft party…I’m afraid KC bout to select my boy…but hey he gets to live his dream

• Raiders4eve

Return of hell

I m a brother but I don’t use da N word unless u brother too, that’s y I said homie. U don’t like da draft that’s ur shyt to deal with it, I like it like others that don’t mean u come n here n disrespect my opinion, I m grown arse man, n from one brother to another, don’t talk smack to a migga u don’t know, u feel me player.

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

Valdheer will play pro-bowl for years to come.

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

We still need a NT, but Cody isn’t the be-all and end-all. Why imo some people are premature in rubbishing our draft so far, or getting angry.

A QB, a NT, and still have another 4 picks for OL, etc.

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ng4yHw2xk&feature=PlayList&p=E565EF0DE2F587FA&playnext= Raider75

just heard something very interesting…

On the Saints, 4 of their starting O-lineman came from the 4th round back.

Hope the Raiders pick up a few more.

Mort just plugged Kafka as well.