A few highlights from Tom Cable’s post draft press conference:
– Quarterback Jason Campbell was not told he would be the starting quarterback, according to the coach. He called it a five-way competition, conceded there are some “decisions” to make but expects JaMarcus Russell at next week’s post-draft minicamp.
– Maryland tackle Bruce Campbell will play right tackle and guard, and Cable said it’s conceivable he could be a guard. He his hoping Campbell’s size and speed can be utlized on special teams in some way.
– The Raiders were most pleasantly surprised to get Maryland corner Walter McFadden, who they didn’t expect to be on the board and who Cable believes can help in the secondary immediately.
– The hope for wide receiver Jacoby Ford is that he comeptes for the job as punt and kickoff returner. He took a backseat to C.J. Spiller in those roles at Clemson, but Cable believes he is nearly as good.
– Linebacker Travis Goethel is an inside linebacker and a stout player against the run who could help on special teams.
– Cornerback Jeremy Ware showed skills as a gunner and on punt return coverage and could contribute in that area.