Cable quick hits

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Saturday, April 24th, 2010 at 3:20 pm in Oakland Raiders.

A few highlights from Tom Cable’s post draft press conference:

– Quarterback Jason Campbell was not told he would be the starting quarterback, according to the coach. He called it a five-way competition, conceded there are some “decisions” to make but expects JaMarcus Russell at next week’s post-draft minicamp.

– Maryland tackle Bruce Campbell will play right tackle and guard, and Cable said it’s conceivable he could be a guard. He his hoping Campbell’s size and speed can be utlized on special teams in some way.

– The Raiders were most pleasantly surprised to get Maryland corner Walter McFadden, who they didn’t expect to be on the board and who Cable believes can help in the secondary immediately.

– The hope for wide receiver Jacoby Ford is that he comeptes for the job as punt and kickoff returner. He took a backseat to C.J. Spiller in those roles at Clemson, but Cable believes he is nearly as good.

– Linebacker Travis Goethel is an inside linebacker and a stout player against the run who could help on special teams.

– Cornerback Jeremy Ware showed skills as a gunner and on punt return coverage and could contribute in that area.

• Coach on Wheels

Ford was drafted to be a return man.

Haynesworth doesn’t fit Washington’s new 3-4. If we go more 3-4 then bad move.

Calm yourselves

• Guy

I wonder what we could get for Higgins. I think the league forgot that he was good 2 years ago.

• The Return of Godliness

# Carl Weathers Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Everybody seems to put to much thought into what individual players salary. Like Russell got paid 60 mil Davis should give him some more time… BS

Think of it as a team has to be under a certain cap. If Jafatass wasn’t on the team, that number would still be right under the cap. Money gets spent all the same. Cut the waste of skin, swallow the 3 million hit for the year and put his other 6 towards getting the rookies signed.

Have a good life after you piss away that money loser.
    **************************

Amen….guy is a such a pucci

• http://ibbahttp://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo249/the408RAIDER/749px-I-420svg.png 4evaRaider

How ’bout Houston ala fridge ?

• The Return of Godliness

# Guy Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 5:10 pm

*******************

He didnt get back right until late in the year due to Russell laying him out to dry vs SD when Weddle t-rolled him

• Guy

Atleast Haynesworth is supposed to be fat. Was Russell a real QB in 2007 ?

• The Return of Godliness

# Coach on Wheels Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 5:10 pm

Ford was drafted to be a return man.

Haynesworth doesn’t fit Washington’s new 3-4. If we go more 3-4 then bad move.

Calm yourselves
    *********************

LOL COW how are we gonna go 3-4 at this point without a NT in the middle?

• stoopidmike

Did you guys see Jason Campbells Red Zone numbers? Very good, and his running backs were garbage which makes it more impressive to me.Our Red Zone offense was rediculous.The best player we had in the red zone was Seabass

• manassamauler

Seymour Bush Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 5:10 pm
    After signing a contract with an NFL-record $41 million in guaranteed money, Albert Haynesworth made a guarantee of his own.

“You’re not going to remember Albert Haynesworth as a bust,” he said.
    ===============================================

Whatever you say Albert. You guys want another big money fat ass on your roster?

: pretty much what I’m thinking. haynesworth got paid already, he might come here and pull a moss on us. we’d pay him about 9 mil per year, not including incentives.

• Seymour Bush

# stoopidmike Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Guy Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 5:07 pm
    I wish we never drafted DHB and drafted someone like Michael Oher or Eugene monroe instead. I would rather have Schilens and Murphy on the outside and Jacoby Ford in the slot. What happens to Higgins?
    ==========================================
    Good question.Possibly special teams gunner?
    ==============================================

Hopefully Chokie Lee is gone soon. 20 receptions a year and VERY POOR special teams play is not getting it done. Welcome Jacoby Ford.

• Guy

Watch cables video on Raiders.com. He said he wants smart, tough, hard working players. Bye russell.

• The Return of Godliness

# stoopidmike Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 5:12 pm

*******************

Dropping science for the people!! Yes exactly!

Man JLH cant go :(

• http://www.mocospace.com/html/album/photoalbum-view.jsp?postid=68488646&u=21483528 SATANFEARS ALDAVIS

you all realize this is jason campbell 1 millionth offense he has to learn since hes been in the league right ?

• The Return of Godliness

# Seymour Bush Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 5:12 pm

# stoopidmike Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Guy Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 5:07 pm
    ==========================================
    Good question.Possibly special teams gunner?
    ==============================================

***************************

Moronic post

• The Return of Godliness

# SATANFEARS ALDAVIS Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 5:13 pm

********************

So? At least he can learn unlike Russell

• Guy

Who would you prefer as our RG, Ciron Black or Brandon Carter the raiders fan (or he looks like one)?

Call in Jay ross and see if he can prove himself.

• Coach on Wheels

Return – That’s what I’ve been wondering. Cable says big changes are coming. We’ll see…

• The Return of Godliness

# 4evaRaider Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Man JLH cant go :(
    **************************

dont listen to these fools…….JLH is staying and Al loves him

Clinton Portis was never garbage anywhere he played….Portis coulda been a baller 4us,imo

• RaiderRon

Godliness,

You are the one saying the Raiders will take the West and raving how great the D will be and you have the audacity to call anothers’ post “moronic”. Funny stuff.

• The Return of Godliness

# RaiderRon Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 5:15 pm

Godliness,

*****************

Rhonda!!!

• PlunkforHOF

After breathing a HUGE sigh of relief, I must say our beloved Oakland Raiders have had a very solid draft weekend. I’m loving McClain, waiting until the 4th for B Campbell, trading for J Campbell (bye bye JMR) all in all well done. Can’t wait for training camp!

• Carl Weathers

The Return of Godliness Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 5:11 pm
    # Guy Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 5:10 pm

*******************

============================================

Good point. Anyone who thinks Russell should be kept around even if he were to give back all his money, go watch the clips of Russell setting up Zack Miller to get crushed time and time and time again.

Bye bye porkchop.

• Coach on Wheels

Higgins and Nick Miller will have to compete with Ford for PR/KR duties. That will be FAR more important than who gets 15 catches as the #4 WR behind Chaz, Murphy and DHB.

I doubt all 3 DBs drafted make the team.

• stoopidmike

And the Cherry on top is that besides our great draft,Denver pulled a Raider-like draft from years past.What a joke.Trade up to take a guy in the 1st that wouldve been there in the 2nd,was the 4th-5th best qb in draft, and isnt gonna play for 3 years at which point McDaniels will Be employed somewhere else after he gets canned.And you got the Bolts, who foolishly traded up to get a RB they reached for,even though they got Sproles still,and he’s making Bank.We lookin real good with our soft schedule.The laughingstock of the west NO MORE! Not this year anyways

• SnakeStabler

A few observations:

1. How long before Jerry changes the avatar for this
    page since Morrison was traded to the Jags?

2. I wish we had drafted a center. I really was not
    impressed with Satele last year. Whatever happened
    to Otto, Dalby, Mosebar, Robbins, ????

3. Check out McFadden’s date of birth with Spiller’s
    date of birth. They were born in the same year and
    not far apart. So we have a HB with two years
    experience while the Bills are getting this “great
    back” who only has college experience. So don’t
    give up on D-Mac yet. I also wonder who started
    the trade D-Mac rumors.

• stoopidmike

4evaRaider Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 5:15 pm
    ======================================
    Thats just my opinion on the guy.I think he’s washed up,jamal lewis-like. Too many carries.Normal stat line for Portis: 28 carries 72 yrds 0 td.

• stoopidmike

Coach on Wheels Says:
    April 24th, 2010 at 5:19 pm

I doubt all 3 DBs drafted make the team.
    —————————————
    Nick Millers days are numbered……

• edward teach

Let me start by saying that I was one of the people in here that thought we needed a big fat guy for the middle of our d-line. However, after listening to Cable talk about there being a new and different approach onm defense next year and looking at the type of linebackers that we have penciled in as starters, and the adddtition of Lamaar Houston, I’ve come to a different conclusion. Based on who we already have and who we picked and traded for this year, I think our defensive front seven is going to resemble the NY Giants more than anything. The majority of their linemen can be used all over the line to create different looks and matchups, and their linebackers are stout against the run. Our linebackers, however, are bigger than theirs.

Had to laugh when I read one of SnB’s thousand or so posts complaining that we weren’t getting the fat guy that he wanted for the middle, and he used the Giants as an example of a team that has a big nose tackle. They are indeed stout against the run, however every single one of their d-lineman is right around 300-305 pounds.. Pretty much the same as us.

I think maybe our scheme(s) for the front seven will look similar to theirs next year, and I kinda like that idea.

• YoungAmerican

——————-

Good post, I agree.

• RAIDERMAN99

I’ve said it before,

The greatest addition the Raiders could make was one of subtraction —

And now it’s reality.

JaMoron is toast.

Of course there will still be a few myopic fans that will cling to the hope that JaMoron actually has a chance to win a QB competition.

Well, there is no chance.

In fact, Jamoron has little chance of even making the opening day roster.

My personal opinion is that Jason Campbell isn’t very good. I don’t think he reads defenses well and is indecisive. A huge upgrade over Russell ? Without a doubt. But I don’t think he’s a long term solution or franchise QB. Worth a gamble for a 4th round pick but minght not even beat out Gradkowski.

When all is said and done, Jamoron will be out of the NFL in short time. There might be another team that gives him a chance, and JaMorn might even put more effort into succeeding as an NFL QB.

But even a solid work ethic won’t be enough for JaMoron to make it in the NFL. Bottom line is he’s too innacurate, and most importantly, he’s an idiot that’s barely capable of uttering a comprehensible sentence. I can only imagine what went on in Raider huddles with the rest of the team straining to understand what JaMoron was calling.

The Raiders should accept any offer they get for JaMoron, but I doubt any will be forthcoming.

He’ll be waived, possibly move on to another team, and fail there.

When his career is over there will be fans lamenting JaMoron’s waste of ‘talent’. But the truth is he never really had a chance to be a franchise QB, his inaccuracy and mental limitations doomed him to failure.

Thankfully the Raiders are moving on.

• Pingback: Football Fan Site » AFC West draft odds and ends