Raiders minicamp news, notes

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Friday, April 30th, 2010 at 3:53 pm in Oakland Raiders.

News, notes and quotes from the first day of the Raiders’ mandatory minicamp Friday:

– Coach Tom Cable acknowledged things went much smoother than they did a year ago, when the first minicamp practice was punctuated by fumbled snapped, dropped passes, and disorganization.

“We had two weeks before we did that minicamp, there was kind of a lull in there and that was a reason for doing it right after the draft,’’ Cable said. “I think it’s reflected in that the ball’s not on the round and we don’t look like the Keystone Cops out there.’’

– Whose who didn’t practice included quarterback Bruce Gradkowski, whose left arm is in a sling after pectoral surgery, wide receiver Chaz Schilens, dealing with general soreness, and wide receiver/return specialist Nick Miller, who has shin splints.

Miller was troubled by shin splints last year, only to later have it called a broken fibula. He spent 16 weeks inactive on game day while still on the 53-man roster.

Linebacker Ricky Brown is expected to practice once a day as he recovers from ankle surgery.

– Cable said he hoped Richard Seymour’s contract would be finalized this weekend.

“We’re trying to get it done so he’s all ours,’’ Cable said.

– Fullback Oren O’Neal, who never recovered from a serious knee injury in 2008, was waived.

– It was a mixed bag for quarterback Jason Campbell, getting accustomed to his yearly task of learning a new offense.

“I’ve been through about 10 of them, so somewhere along the like I’ve run a lot of these plays, trying to find the rhythm, get used to the guys around me and get back into the groove,’’ Campbell said.

Campbell, under the watchful eye of Willie Brown during his press session much the way Eddie Anderson monitored JaMarcus Russell, backed well off his NFL Network declaration that he considered himself the starting quarterback.

“I’m just here to work. Just here to work, get better every day,’’ Campbell said. “ I’ll let coach Cable make that decision and Mr. Al Davis. My job is to come out here every day and compete, keep working on things and try to improve the offense.’’

When Charles Woodson was a rookie, the Raiders went through the charade of listing him behind James Trapp until well into training camp.

With middle linebacker Rolando McClain, there was no such pretense.

“The day after they drafted me, I called to ask for a playbook and some DVDs to look over,’’ McClain said. “I didn’t waste any time.’’

McClain was flanked by Kamerion Wimbley on the strong side and Trevor Scott on the weak side as the defense played almost exclusively 4-3 for the first practice.

– The first minicamp practice contained little or none of the potentially exotic looks hinted at by Cable at the post-draft press briefing. No surprise, really.

“I was looking at the playbook and there are some things that we didn’t do last year.,’’ Asomugha said. “Like always, it’s a matter of how well we do it at this time of the year and then in the summer as to whether we actually play it. So it’s going to depend on us and then how comfortable the coaches feel.’’

– No longer serving as play-caller and offensive coordinator, Cable found himself with more information than usual following the first practice.

“I had a lot more notes from practice on a broad area of things, from what I saw on special teams and with the DBs, to something with the linebackers,’’ Cable said. “I kind of walked off the field feeling really good about what I saw and was anxious to look at it on film and crosscheck myself.’’

Cable on the quarterback rotation of Charlie Frye, JaMarcus Russell, Jason Campbell and Kyle Boller: “It means nothing. Don’t look anything into that. If you do, you’re wasting ink.’’

Or blog space.

– Fourth-round draft pick Bruce Campbell, who played exclusively on the left side at Maryland, lined up as the right guard with the second team. Cable said putting him at guard will give him more second-team reps.

Third-round pick Jared Veldheer was the second-team left tackle behind Mario Henderson.

“My first time looking at the playbook, I looked at it and the different language and I was like, ‘Wow.’ Now that I actually got a practice under my belt, I was like, OK, it’s not that bad,’’ Campbell said. “It’s just getting used to the game speed and basically staying low on the inside.’’

Campbell had false starts on consecutive plays during one sequence and was in some battles with defensive tackle Chris Cooper that probably went beyond the scope of a “non-contact’’ practice.

– Wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey, No. 85, looked much smoother catching the ball in drills and in team sessions. He did have two drops, although neither was a particularly easy catch, one over his head and the other at his feet.

– The following undrafted free agents were announced as signed: DE Alex Daniels, DT Kellen Heard, RB Chane Moline, TE John Owens, G Alex Parsons, DB Joey Thomas and RB Manase Tonga.

– Cornerback Stanford Routt signed his first- and third-round tender and practiced with the team.

Check for practice updates on my Twitter account.

• ottocrat

6:38 pm Raiders coach Tom Cable on QB JaMarcus Russell’s current weight: “He’s OK right now. But, then again, I’m about a twelve sandwich eatin’ fatass myself, so it’s hard for me to judge”

• Raiders4eve

Pete

True that but its a bidding war out there, many teams would want a guy like Henderson, I think we could get someone from Tampa easily like Hoven for cheap. Henderson might want top money.

• SteveAlford21

RaiderDebo (possibly TJ),

JR has been the starter for only two years, but three years of bad football IS on his shoulders. Why? Because it was HIS fault that he didn’t start the first year. If he hadn’t held out, he would have been to minicamps, training camp, and preseason during his rookie year. We all know that Al would have made him the starter that year if he had been here to learn the offense.

Don’t blame JR’s agent, either… if he had wanted to be here and play, he would have told his agent to get it done instead of telling his agent to get him more money. JR is the reason that Culpepper gave us a season of horrible football (except the Miami game), therefore it’s okay to call it three seasons, even though JR only started two.

• buckeyeraider

The best case scenario for the Raiders, IMO is that these two young QB’s push each other to reach their fullest potential. They sound like they know each other from college, and have a good relationship.
    Hell, thow Grads in there too. He earned his shot last year. Won the admiration of some fans and teammates as well. Have a fair, friendly, open competition. Let the best man win.

• JB

Attn: SteveAlford21:

RaiderDebo (possibly TJ) is not possibly. He IS the PriestTJ, the official JR cheer leader. I don’t know why he doesn’t use his real identity – like nobody would figure out who RaiderDebo is. REALLY! Stand up and be counted Priest. If you support your man that’s fine. Your opinion is yours. But, you may have to take a little flak based on your beliefs. Welcome to the real world.

• RaiderDebo

SteveAlford21 Says:
    April 30th, 2010 at 5:49 pm
    RaiderDebo (possibly TJ),

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

He was never going start. Kiffin handpicked Josh McCown to be the starter. And Al handpicked Culpepper. And in my opinion, the Raiders were as much to blame as JR for his not being in camp. Guys like Stafford and Ryan didn’t have to lift a finger to get their deals done. The team sucked period. JR not playing didn’t matter at all. I guess JR is responsible for the earthquake in Haiti now too, huh?

• inonewordraider

sound like their working Walter Mcfadden, he better step up his game, there’s alotta big receivers in our division

• RaiderDebo

JB Says:
    April 30th, 2010 at 5:55 pm
    Attn: SteveAlford21:

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Wow! Slow down man. Now I’m Priest too? I’ve been called OakGlenn and SeymourBush. Now Priest?? I’m confused.

• http://tada Florida Pete

RaiderDebo Says:
    April 30th, 2010 at 5:59 pm

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

• JB

Three horns practice over. So is my battery power. Nice timing less than 20 seconds ago via PockeTwit

• bcz24

I guess JR is responsible for the earthquake in Haiti now too, huh?
    ************************************************
    Did he fall down outside McDonalds again?

• JB

Ready for the next updated post on the evening practice.

• inonewordraider

JB Says:

Damn right, I don’t care if Elways our QB I just wanna win

• http://i380.photobucket.com/albums/oo249/the408RAIDER/749px-I-420svg.png 408RAIDER

wheres the fix?

• Guy

When is the next practice?

• Pingback: [Raiders] Raiders Waive FB Oren O

• inonewordraider

next practice tommorow 10:30 another @ 4, sunday @ 11

• JB

# inonewordraider Says:
    April 30th, 2010 at 6:07 pm

JB Says:

Damn right, I don’t care if Elways our QB I just wanna win
    ********************

I didn’t say anything like the above – Troll alert!

• Guy

Ok thanks, but you guys also need to remember this is all non contact and I still think Russell should be cut unless he is cut.

• inonewordraider

Preferred keeping franchise tag on Seymour so he plays extra hard in a contract year and see if he still a double team machine

Jerry’s gonna eat b4 we get our fix.. lol

• inonewordraider

# inonewordraider Says:
    April 30th, 2010 at 6:07 pm

JB Says:

Damn right, I don’t care if Elways our QB I just wanna win
    ********************

I didn’t say anything like the above – Troll alert!

accidentally copy and pasted too much, didn’t mean to copy the jb says part, that was my comment

• aig

I dont mean to sound gaayyyyy but I think I almost busted a nut when I heard McClain said he asked for the playbook the day after he was drafted. It has been brutal waiting on JaPrecious and his next cheese burger. Thank goodness we drafted McClain.

For once, we sound like a professional football team from these tweets.

• JB

If JR restructures his contract , keeps his weight down, works diligently and puts in the extra effort, then he should be able to compete to see if he should be on this squad. Short of that, they should cut him. Based on my feeling you might think I’m a JR hater. I’m not! I’ve certainly been critical of his performance and effort to date but nothing would make me happier than for him to turn the corner and become a real NFL QB. On the other side of the coin, I’ve not seen the skill set or natural football ability necessary for this position. I’ve not seen the effort or dedication. There’s been nothing demonstrated on a consistent basis, other than a strong inaccurate arm, that says I’m the Man. Lastly, He’s demonstrated absolutely no maturity or leadership. I guess we’ll all see what if anything has changed in the upcoming days/months, maybe.

• Coach on Wheels

Somebody explain to Langston Walker what “non-contact” means. lol He did his Big ben impression treating Houston like a drunk coed.

• Coach on Wheels

Frye to Ford best deep ball of day, JMac said. Based on the JaBustus scale – START EM!

• raidertalk

Now I’m glad Tebow was drafted and hope he starts in Denver. I can’t wait to rejoice when Mclain gets to take him down hard!

Dinner is served!

• Jonesy941

no no no jamarcus russel needs to be kicked on his a$$ now he shows up trying to impress someone WTF. a little late if anyone give him props or is like o i like him now go f yourself seriously. lazy no good piece off $hit

• raul rodriguez

I saw photos of lamar houston. very big strong guy. Stupid cable wants to put him as a DE. He would be a monster as a DT. Stopping the run.
    So much talk about our QB’s that no one is talking about a veteran receiver. Our recievers are horrible. We need help on that position

• No Mas Diamante

After spending a few weeks here, my impresion is that there are quite a few really smart football people on here and the there are a select few, like richocet and real madden raider who are complete tools. lol… Not fans of the team, just here to stir the pot up to see if they can get a rise.lol

• Pingback: CP Tricks and Help « ClubPenguin Awesomesauce