UPDATED: OTAs, Kiffin-Cable and `30 for 30′

Back at it this week, with Raiders’ OTA’s scheduled Tuesday through Thursday.

If form holds, the media window will be Wednesday (awaiting confirmation), with the Raiders opting for the NFL minimum of availability rather than build on a what has been a very good offseason in terms of positive vibes.

UPDATE: Indeed, media availability will be four of the next five Wednesdays _ May 19 and 26 followed by June 9 and 16.

A couple of items until then:

– Lane Kiffin’s interview with HBO’s “Real Sports” airs Tuesday. Haven’t seen an advance copy, but the Orange County Register reported Kiffin denied he was insubordinate and CNN-SI’s Peter King had a Kiffin quote regarding Al Davis and the coach’s defense about leaving Tennessee after a single season in his “Monday Morning Quarterback” column.

“How many Raiders coaches ended real great? It’s all Al Davis. He’s gonna run the whole thing. What’s going to happen is whatever he feels like that day,” Kiffin said.

Contrast that approach with how Tom Cable described working with Davis following the draft.

“When I first got this job, one of the things I asked him to do was teach me (the business side of it), free agency, putting a team together through the draft,” Cable said. “We’re connecting that way, and it’s a good thing. The field stuff, the coaching, that is easy for me. That’s what I’ve always done. But there’s another whole side of this that’s just as important. That’s where as an organization, we’re able to do it together.”

Cable may not ultimately succeed, and we’ll have a good indication it’s a lost cause the moment Sebastian Janikowski lines up for a 76-yard field goal attempt (not that he’d be insubordinate in any way). If the offense improves, and the Raiders still struggle in terms of wins and losses, Hue Jackson could be next man up.

But Cable is operating in a way that gives him something Kiffin didn’t want _ a chance. You either look to succeed and survive or look to get out. So far, both Cable and Kiffin got what they wanted.

– Is this supposed to be tongue-in-cheek and I’m too clueless to get it?

In Mike Lombardi’s weekly Sunday column he writes “According to sources I’ve talked to in the NFL, former Raiders first-round pick JaMarcus Russell apparently is running out of options. Cincinnati isn’t interested, and several teams are exploring the possibility of Russell playing another position. Russell needs to be more proactive to get back in the NFL, and if that means turning to the CFL, he must explore that option. Waiting for his phone to ring from an NFL team is not going to happen.”

Playing another position?

Putting aside the jokes about Russell playing nose tackle or on the offensive line, what other position could he possibly play and exactly how long are these teams spending on someone whose sole strength at present is a strong throwing arm at a position other than quarterback?

– Lots of angry reaction on Ice Cube’s “Straight Outta LA,” the ESPN “30 for 30” film on the rapper’s youth and the influence of the Los Angeles Raiders.

Growing up in the East Bay during the Raiders’ Oakland glory years, my own point of view was expressed much better in HBO’s “Rebels of Oakland,” the documentary about the championship seasons of the A’s and Raiders. That doesn’t mean it wasn’t interesting to see things from a different frame of reference.

Most striking _ the Los Angeles Raiders represented style over substance, attitude over production. The Oakland Raiders were true iconoclasts, quirky individualists who became a team every Sunday.

Davis was right in that he’ll ultimately be judged by history, and make no mistake _ if the Raiders actually turn things around, considering the change in media since they last won anything _ he’ll be a bigger story than he ever was while presiding over three Super Bowl champions and railing against the perceived injustices of the NFL.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• severeraiderz

SNB

TK and Bryant may be the starters inside but Seymour will be spending more than just obvious passing downs inside. Much like last year he will lined up at a variety of spots to cause problems and will be lined up more frequently where there is a mismatch.

I keep seeing people talk about how he was franchised as a DE….thats because the a franchised DE makes more than a franchised DT. It was more about the Raiders wanting to make him as happy as possible having to go through something no player likes; playing without the security of a contract and signing bonus.

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

SnB,

I’m sure the plan isn’t to have McClain supported by only TK and Bryant throughout his career.

This is year 1 in the make-over. We got rid of Jamarcus, Javon, Cornell, Kirk, Fargas and Warren. We brought in a servicable QB to push the job. We drafted a boss MLB in round 1, an active 300 pounder for the D-line in round 2, and two O-lineman in rounds 3 and 4, and than brought in the fattest DT left after the draft.

What more do you want them to do in a year? Just panic for Henderson or Haynesworth? What if the plan is to draft a true NT in the first few rounds next year? Certainly that is better than a one or two year rental for a malcontent.

A little patience my friend.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Jhill,

I pushed three players that year:

1. BJ Raji
    2. Tyson Jackson
    3. Jarron Gilbert

Those were the three. In fact, my tag name had Jackson & Raji back before registration.

Yes, I was big on Raji for this team and he would have made a great pick for this team. Especially with the issues with Tommy Kelly and Gerard Warren.

Again, Richard Seymour is NOT a DT in our defense. He will come inside on passing downs…just like last year.

HEre is your lineup

LDE: Houston
    UT: Kelly
    NT: Bryant
    RDE: Seymour

That’s it. Now, if Bryant rips it up in camp, then by all means….I HOPE THAT IS WHAT THE COACHES ARE COUNTING ON AND ARE CONFIDENT IN.

Otherwise, that lineup will be your front four.

• M Lonetree

Personally I look forward to year 2 of the Marshall Plan.
    A total remake of the linebacking corps along with new blood plus sophomores and elders on the line.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

How about just moving Seymour inside for most of the snaps and have Houston move over to Seymour’s DE position and leave Shaughnessy out there to be the other end.

That would make sense to me, as a fan speaking from a million miles away.

I am not feeling this D. Bryant at DT thing…not feeling it.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Is Seymour signed yet?

• jhill

LDE: Houston
    UT: Kelly
    NT: Bryant
    RDE: Seymour

——————————————————

The positive spin to this is there will be NO running to the edges which was the MAIN problem on those big runs we gave up last year.

The 3 BRAND NEW LBs to go with that will do a better job of holding their lanes and gaps.

Did I mention the impact a legitimate offense is going to have on our defense?

Yet you want to keep talking about a fat ass so called “NT” ????

Desmond Bryant was successful on the field as a DT last year. Scott was ONLY successful as a pass rush DE his rookie year. No comparison.

• http://raiders.com Charged Up for Superbowl Victory

RaiderResurrection Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 3:24 pm
    Someone get this guy blocked, deleted, or mediated from this blog!

Charged Up for Superbowl Victory
    ————————————-
    Whatever prude. This was in response to Return of Godliness saying he was going to sodomize my girlfriend. I think it is a fair rebuttal.

• 30 year raider

Now we bring in McClain. And we are just going to plunk him down there with Tommy Kelly and Desmond Bryant in front of him.

Very risky
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

it can be if the plan that cable & co have up their sleeve does not work…we are seeing some diff things here this year here you must admit to that… we are going to do some things the non conventional way out of the 4-3 that may look like a 3-4 is the feeling im getting here… its gonna be interesting to see the whole plan unfold…lets be pa

• 30 year raider

lets be patient…

• DKnight007

The Return of Godliness Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 12:39 pm
    # Gust372 Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 12:37 pm

Guys, watch B come back with an autographed picture of Ice Cube. If you’re lucky and Cube decides not to beat you down, he might just deal with you and your dad the same way he’d deal with groupie hoes, just give you an autographed picture. And you guys will take it and be happy. Watch. Snoop and Cube are used to haters talking behind their backs then kissing their ass in person.
    *******************************

I dont ask for autographs of ANYONE…..they need to be asking for mine. I dont stool pigeon for anyone or get super excited about famous people unless its AL DAVIS then hey im in service to the great god AL DAVIS

^^^^^^^^
    I’m the sameway….but I don’t consider the old man a god…I consider him the Emperor from Star Wars! haha

• http://raiders.com Charged Up for Superbowl Victory

Whatever defense you run, 30 Year Raider, you are going to see a lot of Ryan Mathews in the endzone.

• Seymour Bush

# 30 year raider Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 3:31 pm

STANFORD ROUTT is next to go… mark my words
    ================================================

As much as I would WANT that to happen, and I would go down to harbour Bay Parkway to help move his sh** off the premises, there was a complete DEARTH of Corner Back talent in this last draft. So Routt stays. Unfortunately.

• buckeyeraider

Haven’t been able to post much lately. It was a busy and hectic weekend at the BuckeyeRaider household. Saturday was opening day for my three girls teeball/softball leagues. After that we went back to my old hometown to participate in a Relay for life event. One of my best friend’s wife has been diagnosed with Colon Cancer. Spread to her lymph nodes. Doctors think they caught it early. She’s undergoing Chemo. We were able to raise about $1,500 for The American Cancer Society.

Then I check in here last night and Lynn from Snot posted RIP Ronnie James Dio. Saw in the paper this morning he died from stomach cancer. One of the great voices in Hard Rock & Roll. Two of my all time fave albums Black Sabbath’s “Heaven and Hell”, and Rainbow “Rising”. Saw him live several times. Lil Bastard looked like he only stood about 5’2″, but he could belt it out. What a loss.

I lost my own Father to cancer 5 years ago this August. I miss my Dad every day. I remember sitting here reading Jerry’s post when his Dad died, with a big lump in my throat. It hit close to home.
    A cruel and insidious f’ing disease.

• DKnight007

SIGN BIG JOHN HENDERSON with a bargain deal!!

• Seymour Bush

# Charged Up for Superbowl Victory Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 4:29 pm

================================================

If you look closely, you would probably see a bunch of Raider spooge in your GF’s endzone.

• DKnight007

Seymour Bush Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 4:30 pm
    # 30 year raider Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 3:31 pm

STANFORD ROUTT is next to go… mark my words
    ================================================

^^^^^^^^^
    I think T Kelly is gonna be on watch…especially if he doesn’t restructure down that fat contract of his soon!

• severeraiderz

snb

Our D-Line currently has more size up front than that of Minnesota and they were ranked second in rush yards allowed last year.

If BJ Raji is so great then why does Pickett start over him….and you do realize that Tyson Jackson was moved to DE after he was drafted, weighs 295 lbs, and was part of a defense that was second to last in rush defense???

• 30 year raider

# Charged Up for Superbowl Victory Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 4:29 pm

####################################

LOL not ur dumdazz again!! YOU ought to be ashamed of coming on to the greatness of a 3 TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPION SITE!!!your window is closing and you know that…tick tock tick tock..you still have nothing to show for it.. thats the reality of it..NOTHING!!

• DKnight007

I’m all for “panicking” and signing DT John Henderson to a bargain deal!

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

Tyson Jackson had zero sacks, zero tackles for a loss, zero passes deflected and almost half as many tackles as Desmond Bryant.

At #3, I would say Jackson was way more disappointing than DHB.

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

OK, a little overstated on the tackles, but no sacks or tackles for a loss from the #3 pick.

B-U-S-T

• 30 year raider

# Seymour Bush Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 4:31 pm

# Charged Up for Superbowl Victory Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 4:29 pm

================================================

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

LMAO ya silver & black spooge all over that lil light blue dress shes wearing

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Stanford Routt was tendered a 1st and 3rd….He ain’t going anywhere!

• http://raiders.com Charged Up for Superbowl Victory

Seymour Bush, do you want some of that Dan Fouts figurine action too. I can make it happen.

• 30 year raider

# vegas raider Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 4:36 pm

B-U-S-T
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

hes a bust just like ryan mathews will be once he gets knocked the fug-out!!

• severeraiderz

Charged Up for Superbowl Victory Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 4:29 pm

=================================================================

I dont think that you are allowed on the field after a team places you on the IR……Is he gonna take a part time job as the guy that paints the logos???

• Seymour Bush

# Charged Up for Superbowl Victory Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 4:37 pm

=================================================

Are you talking about the little Dan Fouts figurine where Dan is crying a river while the Raiders are hoisting the Lombardi? That figurine?

• DKnight007

vegas raider Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 4:35 pm

At #3, I would say Jackson was way more disappointing than DHB.

^^^^^^^^
    Oh definitely….I was on KC reaching for Jackson last year but the media didn’t want to jump all over KC’s ass like they did the Raiders last year for reaching for DHB.

• 30 year raider

# Seymour Bush Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 4:40 pm

# Charged Up for Superbowl Victory Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 4:37 pm

=================================================

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

no hes talking about the figurine that he just shoved up is azz!! that one

• severeraiderz

Isnt Dan fouts the guy that doesnt drink beer often but when he does he prefers Dos Equis??? Judging from those commercials i wouldnt wanna mess with that guy

• severeraiderz

I wonder if Dan Fouts dresses up like Bob Vila for halloween…..he would only have to put on a flannel shirt

• SnB offense defense specialteams

As for Raji, he was injured this year. That limited his reps. Plus, he plays for a team stacked with D-Line talent. Number 1 run defense. I could see calling him out if he were on the..let’s say…29th run defense.

My concern is that right now our answer to DT is Desmond Bryant. I am not comfortable with that. In fact, the competition right now is Desmond Bryant, William Joseph and Kellen Heard.

I am just saying.

As for the scheme. The Raider defensive scheme is pretty much the standard fare. Base 4-3 man2man and not a lot of blitzing. Al Davis still runs the defense. They may throw some wrinkles out there…but this defense is built basically to drive pressure from the front 4.

I just have questions about how effective Desmond Bryant is going to be as our starter inside. Tommy Kelly for that matter too. Who has been unimpresssive.

The team will do what it likes and I am cheering for it to work.

Just not completely bought in to the lineup as presented…and have deep concerns for McClain’s effectiveness if the two guys in fron of him don’t raise the standard of play at that position.

• http://raiders.com Charged Up for Superbowl Victory

Your going to like this Seymour Bush:

• severeraiderz

Charged Up for Superbowl Victory Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 4:48 pm
    Your going to like this Seymour Bush:

===============================================================

Wow only 10 bucks…..i should buy my sister one. She loves that type of girly sh*t and its half the price of the Barbie her dad got her. Does he come in powder blue, thats her favorite color???

• M Lonetree

Wonder what the Polish Pectoral Tear is thinking these days. 4th on the depth chart already. That’ll teach him to lift weights like a linebacker. Idiot.

Odds are that five of the starting 22 will suffer some sort of significant injury in the next seven months (DMc is a given and I don’t count him in the 22 anyway).

Depth.
    Safety – check.
    LB? McClain has to stay healthy or its curtains.
    CB. Hope McFadden pans out.
    DL – plenty of bodies to rotate.

QB – not much to begin with but better’n the past few years.
    RB? – Bennett? Rock?
    FB is still an unknown.
    TE – looks fine.
    WR – no one really knows what the Raiders have with all the drops, injuries and inexperience.
    OL – “I just want to hit somebody”, Bruce Campbell

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Charged Up,

Why spend time on a Raider blog antagonizing Raider fans?

Kind of juvenile don’t you think.

Why not spend the time on a Charger or NFL.Com or PFT site talking Charger ball.

You guys should be trying to squeeze through that closing window….not worrying about what Raider fans think…..

To each his own

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

I always liked the Zen Master, even if he is a Laker

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

M Lonetree Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 4:53 pm

***********************************

He is thinking that a rise from 4th on the depth chart to 1st will never look easier.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Lonetree,

DL – Plenty of bodies to rotate…..

That’s not a ringing endorsement. We need 4 starters and depth. Right now I see 1 bonnafide starter in Seymour, a rookie in Houston, the underachieving Tommy Kelly and his big bloated contract and the undersized and unproven Desmond Bryant.

Depth? Richardson and Shaughessy I can endorse…Heard, Joseph and Cooper raises more questions than answers.

• http://raiders.com Charged Up for Superbowl Victory

Talk to you later. I have a hot date tonight. You should see this girl. She is smoking hot.

• http://blstb.msn.com/i/55/90A2853B6CFBCC2AFC987BB18B832.jpg vegas raider

I have been handicaping these things pretty well of late (Bruce’s rise last year, Jamarcus being released, the drafting of McClain to name a few) so you are going to have to go with me on this one.

Bruce still has a shot to start week 1. This is not the “Bruce” fan in me, I want the best guy to start, and if it isn’t Bruce I will be the first to say it.

But Gradkowski has the most experience playing with his teammates and coaches as any other QB on the roster, has thrown TD’s to Miller, DHB, Chaz and a few to Murphy. He WILL get a start this preseason (probably game 2 or 3) and if he plays better he will be starting in Tennessee. Don’t think Campbell doesn’t have to throw a TD or two this preseason to keep his job.

Point and laugh all you want, that’s the way I size it up.

• M Lonetree

SnB,

I think the D-line make-up is fine. with plenty of bodies to rotate.

I wonder if there is a team in the league puts their “starters” out there for more than a handful plays in a row without rotating unless they get caught up in a hurry-up situation. the big fellas just get gassed too quickly (if only they were trained like out-rigger paddlers!)to be of any use after only a short while (fat blobs in the middle most of all).

• Plunketthead

Seymour Bush Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 4:31 pm

How old are you?

• 30 year raider

Transfered to Memphis with one year of eligibility from Texas A&M where he lettered three seasons on the defensive line…Made the transfer to offensive line in fall camp…Played in nine of 11 games at right tackle on the offensive line and at nose tackle on the defensive line…Played in 34.4 percent of the offensive plays in games he has played on the O-Line…Moved to the defensive line prior to the game against Tennessee and played the final four games at the position…Finished the year with six tackles and 1.5 TFLs for a total loss of six yards…Made his Memphis debut in the fourth series of the season opener against Ole Miss at right tackle…Logged 21 of 78 snaps on the O-line…Participated in 30 of 63 offensive plays against Middle Tennessee…Worked a career high 34 snaps against UT Martin…Saw action in 20 of the team’s 62 offensive plays against Marshall…Did not play against UCF, UTEP and Southern Miss due to an injury…Returned against East Carolina and worked 14 snaps at right tackle…Played in his first game for Memphis at nose tackle on the defensive line in the Tennessee game and finished with three tackles…Assisted on a tackle for a loss of a yard…Participated on the defensive line against UAB…Made two assisted tackles against Houston…Had one tackle against Tulsa that resulted in a loss of six yards.

Texas A&M:
    Spent four seasons with Texas A&M…After using 2005 as a redshirt year, came off the bench to provide 13 tackles and 2.5 sacks in 12 games as a freshman in 2006…Posted a pair of quarterback sacks against Nebraska…As a sophomore in 2007, recorded 37 tackles, including 4.5 tackles for loss…Forced three fumbles…Posted six tackles against both Fresno State and Kansas…Recorded a sack against Texas…Finished his sophomore campaign strong by earning his first career start and posting five tackles against Penn State in the Alamo Bowl…Played in 11 games with two starts as a junior in 2008…Had 17 total tackles with nine solo stops and a pass breakup…Earned starts against New Mexico and Miami at nose guard.

THE LOW DOWN ON KELLEN HEARD!!!

• M Lonetree

Vegas,

soon you’ll have a new perspective on life there in the Enchantment of Albuquerque. The Big Gradkowski might look more like a little bruce once you breathe that rarified air winding down out of the Sangre de Cristos.

• http://raiders.com A.B. Paine II

Plunketthead Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 5:06 pm
    Seymour Bush Says:
    May 17th, 2010 at 4:31 pm

How old are you?
    —————————————————–
    Don’t mind him, Seymour Bush is one of the blog’s mental midgets. He is special.

• UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER

This was on mike mitchells twitter account.

MikeMitchell34 Man I gotta make some plays so I can get my jersey in the Raider image. Not gonna lie I’m sad.
    20 minutes ago via Twitter for BlackBerry®

WE NEED THIS TYPE OF ATTITUDE !!!!!!!!!

• buckeyeraider

I was all for trading for Fat Albert during the draft. But it seems obvious by now that is not the route Mr. Davis and Cable are going to go. They’ve been burned by too many veteran free agents. They are not going to bring these guys in, especially ones with questionable character or work ethic.
    They are going with a youth movement. Bringing in young guys with high motor and character.

I think the DL will be fine. They have a lot of interchangeable parts. Seymour and the rook Houston will get some snaps inside. Groves, Scott, and perhaps even Wimbley will line up with their hand down at DE in some pass rushing ops.
    They are going to rotate a lot of bodies in and out, keep em fresh and ATTACK in waves.
    Plus, they signed the wide body Heard to give them some size inside. Let’s see how he looks in camp and preseason before we hit the panic button.

• UP LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER

ALMOST ALL OF ALBERT H. GURANTEED MONEY HAS BEEN MADE IF YOU COULD GET HIM AT A DECENT PRICE IT WOULDN’T BE TO BAD IMO HE WANT’S TO PLAY IN A 4-3 AND WILL HAVE SOMETHING TO PROVE.