No news is, well, still news

Yes, I’m spending most of this weekend watching a 13-and-under baseball tournament, but I’ve got a cell phone and a computer in case anything happens with the Raiders . . . which it hasn’t.

The business has evolved into one that is as preoccupied with projecting a sequence of events as repeating them.

With that in mind, here’s what’s going on with the Raiders until further notice:

— Jason Campbell is a huge upgrade from JaMarcus Russell, but things will get very interesting when Bruce Gradkowski takes the field in Napa. He built a lot of support after taking over for Russell, but it won’t take more than a few Campbell successes for teammates to surmise that anyone was going to be an improvement.

— The most important metatarsal in the NFL belongs to Chaz Schilens.

Sorry, but coach Tom Cable’s enthusiasm of the corps of wide receivers comes off as whistling in the graveyard without Schilens.

For a fourth-round draft pick, Louis Murphy was a revelation. But other than Schilens and Murphy, it’s a crapshoot. DHB and JLH? Unproven in capital letters. Jacoby Ford is at least a year away from racing under rainbows consistently. Todd Watkins, Jonathan Holland, Shaun Bodiford . . . . need I go on?

Cable can say all he wants they haven’t considered Terrell Owens, but if there is any real concern about Schilens or the longer term, some kind of incentive-laden one-year deal with Owens is worth considering.

— Hue Jackson is the man.

Argue amongst themselves how it transpired, but common sense says Al Davis told Cable the only way he was staying on is if he turned over the offense to someone else, and Jackson is that person.

Lot of buzz amongst the players regarding Jackson. He’s bringing back a good practice mentality in which he wants the offense to get after the defense, and will let the defense know about it when they’ve been had.

— The Raiders (and this is purely a Davis thing) don’t exclude the media for the sake of secrecy. They do it because they can.

As Monte Poole points out, it doesn’t make a lot of sense with regard to Jackson.

— Speaking to Poole’s point about fans seeing enough good things this offseason to return to the fold, a retired Oakland police officer I see occasionally told me he sent in his season ticket money the moment he heard about the release of Russell. I’m sure he’s not alone.

— Any talk of going to a predominantly 3-4 defense remains just that _ talk _ until further notice.

It’s possible the Raiders are going heavy on 3-4 on the days the media can’t watch organized team activities, and equally as possible they’re doing the same old stuff.

— Heavyweights ought to look elsewhere.

Other than undrafted free agent Kellen Heard, a 354-pound nose tackle, the Raiders have been (other than JaMarcus Russell) watching the scales closely the past few years. Terdell Sands was eventually sent packing because of it.

— Gradkowski has no intention of settling for being a backup quarterback.

Which is precisely what makes him an ideal backup quarterback.

— As time goes on, the most relevant and interesting drills, seven-on-seven’s and team sessions will be when Darren McFadden is sent into a pass pattern on the outside guarded by either Kamerion Wimbley or Trevor Scott, and how the Raiders’ defense responds. The far-too-early-returns show McFadden having his way.

— Teams will continue to inquire about running back Michael Bush, but there is no chance he’ll be traded because he’s still working for the salary of a fourth-round draft choice and Davis would insist on first-round compensation.

— Given the limitations of the offseason, the Raiders can speculate they’ve fundamentally improved (specifically with the pick of Rolando McClain) but have no hard evidence they can dominate the two areas which marked the great teams of the franchise’s distant pass _ blocking and tackling.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

# Dakota Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:26 am

I thought they moved the A’s down to double A baseball?
    ***************************

Double? Double the titles times compared to what the cubs have done in 100 years….last true dynasty in sports so chew on that

Yeah and how about that great Lake show? Good job Laker supporting cast….we knew you guys had it in you….you are who we thought you were…and the Suns didnt let you off the hook

***

LOL! a Denny Green quote for the Lakers?

maybe thats who they’ll target when Phil Jax leaves and takes a p1ss in the “lake”

• Raider O and Bri@n, you both are favorites of mine as internet professionals, who I look forward to reading your comments. You both have very similar qualities, love the Nation, smart, outgoing, have stated strong opinions, and don’t back down from any subject. To see you two argue is not fun, you are so alike, yet you can’t see that, and demonstrate why I share my strong opinion to both of you to see each other and stop that “madness”.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Raider O and Br!en, separated at birth? The O’Br!en twins?

Is your wife expecting, and if so Congrats.

***

Dell: yup

13 weeks along. thanks bro!

• The Return of Godliness Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:27 am
    # Dakota Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:26 am

I thought they moved the A’s down to double A baseball?
    ***************************

+++++++++

Just kiddin…I rooted for the A’s against LA, SF and Cinci back in the day…now they just seem to not care about winning.

• Dell,

I hope all is well with the family and business. I have so many questions for you (finance related), but will save that conversation for another time.
    What do you think of the changes so far? Draft, Tades, and OC?

# Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:28 am

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Raider O and Br!en, separated at birth? The O’Br!en twins?
    ***********************************
    LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

• Raider Dell

Bri@n

Please pass this message to Bob. I will never forget before the start of the 2008 season he proclaimed Jamarcus a bust. He received many hate filled comments for his observation, and lo and behold was correct. Is Bob always right on some issues, we all have our misses but on this particular one he was “right on”.

Tell Bob congrats.

# Dakota Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:30 am

The Return of Godliness Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:27 am
    # Dakota Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:26 am

I thought they moved the A’s down to double A baseball?
    ***************************

+++++++++

******************************

We have no money…but at least our fans dont stop us from going to the series!!!

• Preppie,

No more Drama! I like you too.

• Raider Dell

Tele conference, later Nation!!

• Stop with the love fest! Is this a soccer forum or something for cripes sake?

• Dell shows up and all is well!!
    Make Dell your Leader!!

# Raider O Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:32 am

Preppie,

No more Drama! I like you too.
    **********************

LOL im a lil taller than Zack and my hair isnt so blonde….I wonder do you do the running man like slater

• Raider O Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:32 am
    Preppie,

No more Drama! I like you too.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Mustafa,

All is good. I blame your occasional transgressions on the Ohio penal system.

# Raider Dell Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:31 am

Bri@n

Tell Bob congrats.
    **************************

Bob is upset that he was right! Bob knows his Raider stuff and I’ve learned alot from the guy. He constantly was telling me Russell gotta go. When McNabb was traded he was down for JC to come aborad. Bob is excited and the tailgating will be awesome this season…Must catch ya at the games Dell!!

Phil Jax has coached the Lakers since ’99

how many Lakers fans were there from ’89 – ’98 ???

about as many Chargers fans as there were from 1996 – 2003 …

bandwagon!

# Raider O Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:34 am

Dell shows up and all is well!!
    Make Dell your Leader!!
    ***********************

Dell is the Raider Oracle…..one ofthe few voices of reason on this blog……860 Todd, Coach on Wheels and AutumnWind 1960

• B,

I call Bo preppie. I call you something else. lol
    All is good my brother. I can’t dance man, and I don’t try.

Dell Bob just hit me on the phone…said Russell supporters were idiots

# Raider O Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:38 am

B,

I call Bo preppie. I call you something else. lol
    All is good my brother. I can’t dance man, and I don’t try.
    **********************

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:37 am

Phil Jax has coached the Lakers since ‘99

how many Lakers fans were there from ‘89 – ‘98 ???

about as many Chargers fans as there were from 1996 – 2003 …

bandwagon!
    *****************************

Alot of them are…but there are many real live Laker fans even I know that….as far as the Charger fans….come on you see every year many teams take over their place

• The Return of Godliness Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:38 am
    Dell Bob just hit me on the phone…said Russell supporters were idiots

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

When does he get the ankle bracelet off?

• The Return of Godliness

Suns going to tie series up tomorrow night….Celtics sitting back waiting to kill whoever

I can’t dance man, and I don’t try.

***

Raider O: are you saying that movie slumdog millionaire was a scam ???

• jhill

Maybe we’ll GS for Monta and your #1 draft pick.

• Preppie,

That’s OK. I blame mich for that’s wrong with America! We are even.

• The Return of Godliness

Bo…my good buddy Bob is under no provision such as that…He is a free man…just taking a break until July or when a good signing or trade goes down….Haynesworth or Henderson?

• jhill

Celtics are going to be finals fodder!

If the Celtics think that 92 pts a game is going to win them a title, then they are smokin that Purple.

# jhill Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:41 am

Maybe we’ll GS for Monta and your #1 draft pick.
    ***************************

Maybe the Laker bench can play better on the road…..wont matter Celtics taking this bad boy

• Bo has no hair so u cant call him preppie……..cant dance? Challenged on the dance floor eh?

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Once again, my dome is fertile and the locks abundant. Just like the sistas dream about.

# jhill Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:42 am

Celtics are going to be finals fodder!

*************************

Yep must be from LA…..you realize they play the best defense right?

# Bo Schembechler Jackson Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:42 am

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

******************************

Sistas dont gotta dream anymore!!! They got weaves….they do have the asses and dance appeal your women dream about lol

• B,

Never challenged. Thank god, but people around me pointed out the fact that I can’t dance at an early age. I was 13. lol

• priesttj

What’s your problem with me BOY? Your so obssesed with me you can stop thinking about me talking or dreaming about me.

Just share your own thoughts and stop the worship.

• What will the raiders address 1st wide receiver or d tackle??

• The Return of Godliness

Jhill you LA people kill me!!! What will the Lakers do when Boston defense locks up as they usually do? Gasoft cant deal with KG and Bynum is just not 100 pct……the missing transtion game you had under Ariza last season will show in the Finals….you gotta run to beat the C’s

# Lynn from Snot Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:45 am

What will the raiders address 1st wide receiver or d tackle??
    ***********************

Better be D-tackle dammit

• All that’s *

RR,

I didn’t watch it. I’m taking 5 classes every sem including this summer, I have a family and a business. I spend me free time with the fam and chatting here. No time for movies!

• RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:37 am
    Phil Jax has coached the Lakers since ‘99

how many Lakers fans were there from ‘89 – ‘98 ???

about as many Chargers fans as there were from 1996 – 2003 …

bandwagon!
    +++++++++++++++++++

how many Lakers fans were there from ‘89 – ‘98 ???

Tons…there will always be tons of Lakers fans…the Lakers are forever baby! Once we do a sign and trade for LBJ or Bosh this summer the legacy shall continue!!!

# Raider O Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:44 am

B,

*************************

Yeah well at an early age at family gatherings black folks will make you dance in front of them saying…” do that new dance boy”…you reply “Nooooooooo i dont wanna to” and they snap back ” boy you better or ima get the belt”

• # The Return of Godliness Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:42 am

==================
    RumorMill has it that he took my advice, and went to that new pot growing outlet that just opened on Hegenberger. Got fully equipped, and is manning his crops up in Grass Valley (no pun intended…kind of) as we speak.
    tell Bobbo I expect to be invited to the ‘breaking out the buds” bash.

• My free time*

# Richochet Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:48 am

# The Return of Godliness Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:42 am

==================
    tell Bobbo I expect to be invited to the ‘breaking out the buds” bash.
    ******************************

LOL possibly…..i generally go to the one off San Pablo in Berkeley

• I grew up around blacks. They also pointed that fact at the age of 15. I was convinced!

• Who else thinks P Crayton or Roy Williams will be a FA soon? or do you guys think since there is no cap, JJ will keep both?

• DMAC

Morning Peoples!!!!!

• The Supreme Court disagreed in American Needle v. the NFL and ruled the owners can sometimes be sued if they conspire among themselves to restrict competition. “Each of the (32) teams is a substantial, independently owned, and independently managed business,” wrote Justice John Paul Stevens. “Decisions by NFL teams to license their separately owned trademarks collectively and to only one vendor are decisions that the deprive the marketplace of…actual or potential competition,” he said.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

No antitrust exemption for you!

• priesttj

Hey BOY!! tell what predictions you’ve made that came true?

All you that want to call others rauds and what not, what are you positions on the Raiders that came to fruition.

Most o ypou spend large parts of your life in here rtalking crap that makes no sense at all. Yet have the unmitigated gall to attack someone else.

I had very high hopes or Russell that were not fulfilled, I expected him to eventually act like a pro, he never did. Maybe someday he will. All I can talk about is his skillset I can’t read his mind and motivation. It appears some in here if you don’t agree with their assesment, they have an issue with you.

I make my own assesment and stand by them I don’t run and change identities. So if you can’t deal with that…………tough.

I still think the kid is very talented he just needs to get his lie together and become a real pro. I he does he can be great………..there’s no question in my mind. But HE HAS TO WANT IT!!!…………..period

• NoMoreFargas

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    May 24th, 2010 at 10:37 am

Phil Jax has coached the Lakers since ‘99

how many Lakers fans were there from ‘89 – ‘98 ???

about as many Chargers fans as there were from 1996 – 2003 …

bandwagon!
    ———————————————–
    You’re right lotta bandwagon fans but the Lakers had a a team known as SHOWTIME the greatest teams and most exciting teams ever so please never compare the Lakers to the Chargers.
    LAKERS FAN SINCE 79