Raiders finally come to pass

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 at 2:05 pm in Oakland Raiders.

You’ve been reading in this space for the better part of the last four years about the worst passing game in the NFL.

The Raiders’ in inability to catch the ball was exceeded only by their ineffectiveness when it came to throwing it.

Poor timing. Bad routes. More footballs on the ground than eggs on Easter Sunday.

I’ve written about it for the last four training camps as well as most OTAs and minicamps. Then the Raiders would live down to expectations and show that practice does indeed make for imperfections.

So it’s worth taking note when things go well, simply because it hasn’t happened that often.

Yes, Wednesday’s practice was a mere “organized team activity.” No pads, no hard contact. But that never stopped the Raiders from having bad practices before.

With quarterback Jason Campbell getting most of the work (the company line will be about training camp competition, but the only way he doesn’t start is because of injury), the Raiders, with offensive coordinator Hue Jackson challenging his offense and talking trash to the defense, actually put a legitimate NFL passing game on the field.

(Quick admission _ my car broke down close to home, and I had to get it towed to a shop. Got back home and took another vehicle to practice and arrived late, but was told I saw most of the team sessions).

“I’ve seen how far we’ve come as an offense, and we’re much better and guys are developing,” tight end Zach Miller said. “I mean, just watching him, Heyward-Bey has been phenomenal out here. He’s matured a lot and I’m really looking forward to seeing what kind of season he’s going to have.”

Indeed, Heyward-Bey was the best receiver on the field Wednesday (Chaz Schilens remains a spectator recovering from foot surgery). He caught everything thrown his way and if he even bobbled the ball once, I didn’t see it.

Most of the routes were shallow to medium depth _ he never got well downfield for a catch. But he accelerated into shallow crosses and then smoothly turned up field for gains. He made a catch on Nnamdi Asomugha and left him in the dust with a spin move for extra yards.

“Today was a really good practice for him,” Asomugha said. “That’s the best practice I’ve seen from him here. Last week we went through OTAs and he was doing a little better, I guess, there was some inconsistency.

“But today was a good day for him to build off of and see how he comes out tomorrow. It’s days like this you want to keep stringing along. You don’t want to fall back after a day like this. He was catching the ball. I don’t know that he dropped a ball. Caught maybe eight or nine, so that was good for him.”

After one red zone score, Heyward-Bey was greeted in the end zone by Louis Murphy and Tony Stewart for a three-way celebration.

Heyward-Bey, whose style is to let the failures roll off his back, sounds pretty much the same after success. Not a lot of emotion or I-told-you-sos.

“We’re just competing out here,” Heyward-Bey said. “That’s something Hue has brought in, competing against each other, wide receivers, O-line, running backs, going at the DBs. It’s fun. We have a good practice, we let them know. They have a good practice, they let us know.”

Said coach Tom Cable: “Darrius was really on today. But I thought a lot of things went in to that. I thought the quarterbacks threw him a lot of balls on time. He caught the ball well, made a move with after the catch, which I thought was most impressive. It was a very good day for him.”

More news, notes and quotes:

– Players who were present but were not practicing because of injury or illness included defensive end Matt Shaughnessy, wide receiver Phil Hubbard, linebacker Isaiah Ekejiuba, Schilens and quarterback Bruce Gradkowski.

Richard Seymour was not present, having not signed his exclusive franchise tender. Tommy Kelly and Chris Johnson were not present and were “excused,” according to Cable, assuming there is such a thing in a voluntary workout.

– As a way of putting the pressure on his receivers, Jackson is directly challenging defenders _ and a frequent target is Asomugha.

“Every day and every snap,” Asomugha said. “I think I’m his enemy for some reason, his nemesis or something. I played him in Cincinnati a few times. I played him in Baltimore. We have fun with it. It is fun, fun for him. He likes doing it. Me, I just tune him out.”

Jackson rode Asomugha particularly hard when the less-than-mercurial Luke Lawton got around him following a swing pass reception from Campbell.

Asomugha can see the method in the madness.

“They need the confidence to say they’re going to go out and catch the ball every single snap. And he’s got the confidence so I guess if you can say it enough times, it can kind of leak into the receiver’s minds, too,” Asomugha said.”

– Miller on Jackson: “He’ll call them out _ even where the ball is going sometimes. He’s challenging our offense to be aggressive, be dominating. He won’t accept anything else.”

– Murphy on Jackson: He’s going to tell the defense where the ball is going and it forces us to make a play. It puts a little pressure on us. It’s great, man.”

– Interesting Asomugha comment on the development of the offense: “I don’t think it’s the new plays. We always had all these plays. It’s just that now we’re running them. Last year they were taking more time on their basic plays whereas now he’s going straight into everything and it’s helping them out.”

Translation _ JaMarcus Russell’s lack of dedication resulted caused the Raiders to dumb down the system.

– Bruce Campbell, the fourth-round pick at Maryland who played left tackle in college, conceded his transition to right guard (for now) has been a struggle.

“I was a left tackle, now I’m playing right guard,” Campbell said. “It’s a totally different experience. I’m used to space on the outside. Now I’m on the inside with a lot of help. People would say it’s easier, but I don’t see it being easier right now.”

• Silver-n-Black-666

SistaBrownEye

Good to see that Cleveland Browns fans like yourself still post here.

How is your same sex marriage to little Ricochet working out?

• MistaBrown

Richochet did you search for KKKells post about R Moss running from him with a sack of groceries @ Safeway ?

He posted that about 2 months ago. Anybody remember that ?

• Raider Dell

RAIDER NATION
    Keep the faith!

Have a great evening.

• The Big Banana

Silver – LMAO!!

• Seymour Bush

MistaBrown Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Seymour/OakGlen
    More trolling & starting fights today?
    ============================================

Notice how until the trolls arrived, that didn’t happen. Right mistatroll, errr, mistabrOwn?

• MistaBrown

666, I see you got unbanned! Wont be long until you get another hook tho will it?

:D

• The Big Banana

Post 904 was re: post 898

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

You’re like my little puppy dog, Oakglen.
    I post..AND THERE YOU ARE.

Last night…you sit and read..ALLLLL NIIIIGHT LONG…and then post MINUTES after I say I’m going.

You’re one pathetic old man, aren’t you?

Hey…which is the lie from you?

You said all three of the following:
    “I’m in my late 20′s”

“I just bagged a girl half my age” (makes her 15, BTW)where AFTER I CALLED YOU ON HER BEING 15, YOU THEN POSTED:

‘I just brought a hot TWENTY year old home’ (lmao..dumbass takes the bait ;) )

“I personally watched many of Johnny Unitas games” (which makes you 50-60ish).

I suspect the ONLY truth is the last one…Now considering Unitas hasn’t played in almost 40 years, makes you one old, ornery, sorry, lonely, no family/no kids/no girl/no life geriatric tool.

Ouch…lol..sucks to be you Debo..I mean..Oakglen..no, I mean CaptainBlack, no..wait..BSDector? Oh hell I mean Maddenisadouche..oh geez..what’s your handle these days?
    Can’t keep track anymore…

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

# MistaBrown Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 4:38 pm

He posted that about 2 months ago. Anybody remember that ?
    ===========================
    Naw…not yet…been busy.

• MistaBrown

Yah who needs oil we can just use windmills lmao @ Libs!

Yah just stop drilling we can always pay 3x the amount we’re paying now after we buy oil from the middle east, brilliant!

hope & change & oily ducks

Sincerly
    Purple lips Hussein 0bama

• Silver-n-Black-666

Seymour

we both know the same sex marriage bill has upset little Ricochet and MistaBrownNose

They are just taking out their frustrations on innocent bloggers like yourself…..just ignore the turd burglars like I do!

• Plunketthead

This is why you have so many people who dislike you.
    You said something ignorant, got called on it and now you try to twist your words and my words.

I know that it will not do any good but I shall explain it one last time.

Heres your EXACT words

“Technology currently exists where we can take solar power off of our rooftops to develop electricity, put that right into our cars, and never buy a drop of oil. We can do that easily TODAY.”

I wish to stress the “we can do that easily part” and the “never buy a drop of oil” part.

Not the fact that one can convert sunlight into electricity with enough money

• Seymour Bush

Hahahahahahahaha. Triple 6, mistabrOwn just loves the browns. And he claims to be right 99% of the time. Check this out:

# Mistabrown Says:
    February 29th, 2008 at 10:31 pm
    The Browns are going be a thorn in that division next year.
    =======================================

Actually, the Cleveland Browns were 1-5 in the division that year! But Hope and Change right mistaclevelandbrown!!

• MistaBrown

Seymour/Oakglen, cant you be a good little boy and stop starting fights on a blog ?

You are the blogs worst nightmare, its well documented. LOL @ that!!!!

• Silver-n-Black-666

I wont get banned again SistaBrownEye because I know better than to call Jerry lazy and call the mod a troll….those are two things I will never do again!!

• MistaBrown

Plunk, I been pointing this out for 2 years. That is what IT does. Glad you are catching up! :D
    _____

Plunketthead Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 4:43 pm

This is why you have so many people who dislike you.

• Silver-n-Black-666

Now back to calling MistaBrownNose a homo Browns fan!!!

SeymourGlen,
    After you silently watched tj get thrashed last night I saw that you waited until we all left and then declared the blog “clear of fleas”.

lmfao

• Seymour Bush

Plunketthead Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 4:43 pm

This is why you have so many people who dislike you.
    =========================================

No one twisted ANY WORDS. The reason people don’t like me, is because they get their ASSES handed to them like you did. HERE, WE ARE GOING TO DUMB IT DOWN FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU, OK! What I said was “the technology exists today”. It does. That is a STATEMENT OF FACT. You then called me names, backtracked, and now you are saying I am twisting your words. I am not twisting your words, YOU’RE TWISTING IN THE WIND.

• MistaBrown

666, if you dont see how ridiculous and lame you look calling me a Browns fan please continue.

• Plunketthead

MB

I have watched him do it to many people for years.
    I just ignored him untill recently.

• Plunketthead

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA

YOU F IN NUT

• http://tada Florida Pete

!

• MistaBrown

Right out of the Al Gore “Environmental wacko theories for Dummies” handbook.

____
    Seymour Bush Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 4:27 pm

• Seymour Bush

# Plunketthead Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 4:43 pm

This is why you have so many people who dislike you.

I know that it will not do any good but I shall explain it one last time.

Heres your EXACT words

Not the fact that one can convert sunlight into electricity with enough money
    ================================================

The issue you seem to continually avoid, is how much the oil industry is SUBSIDIZED. That’s what makes it “seemingly” cheap. But when you add the price of HUGE military expenditures to keep the oil flowing, HUGE environmental cleanups, the “enough money” part of your equation is a joke.

• MistaBrown

Fl Pete, that oil that 0bama let BP continue to gush in the Gulf will be washing up on your shores before too long. And then you can tell me again that 0bama did “ALL” he could do.
    LMAO

• edward teach

Nnamdi21 Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 4:35 pm
    Raiders sue Russell

“one speculates whether this obviously pending case had anything to do with the Raiders not seeking the services of 15 yr veteran center Kevin Mawae who also President of…yup, the NFLPA.”

The Raiders didn’t go after Kevin Mawae for the same reason the Broncos (who were also in need of a center, and drafted two of them) didn’t; he’s 39 years old, too small to handle large nose tackles, and would most likely want a two-year contract. Not to mention the team is concentrating on younger players and rebuilding through the draft.

A bit of a stretch, this.

• MistaBrown

FL Pete, what do you think of this Liberal Dem blasting 0bama for his lack of action in the gulf ?

lmao

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

Hey Oakdork,
    Honestly…was yesterday one of your most embarrassing days here…ever?

You had poster after poster after poster chiming in that ‘Yeah, Seymour IS Oakglen, and YEAH, Oakglen ALWAYS WAS A CROSS POSTER”…

I mean..had to sting, lol…big time.

And what was your reply?

“Go put on Steve Youngs jersey”…where I then posted you posting the EXACT SAME THING, over a year ago, as Oakglen, lol

damn..was like shooting fish in a barrel.

Stupid fish…I mean REALLY stupid fish.

• Seymour Bush

# Plunketthead Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 4:49 pm

YOU F IN NUT
    =============================

wow. You sure told me. Who taught you this, richochet and mistabrOwn the browns fan?

• Seymour Bush

No one is paying attention to you richochet. You’re done here. We all know you are a pyscho internet stalking freak. No one cares what you think.

SeymourOakGlen,
    Here is your daily gallup poll you requested. I cant seem to locate the part where his #’s went up the last few weeks…
    lol

Fl Pete?

*crickets*

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

Ok I know you don’t want to revisit that (however, can’t say I won’t :) )

so, for now?
    Can you explain why you’re such a ball-less worm?

YOU READ THE BLOG ALL NIGHT, WATCHING US TORCH TJ..and you then WAIT until we all leave..then you post the comment at the bottom?

lol…damn you’re pathetic, OLD MAN.

· Richochet Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 12:01 am
    Off for a midnight poker tournament…going to pay for this tomorrow, lol.
    c’ ya

· MistaBrown Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 12:03 am
    The morning crew is in for another treat reading this, and of course they are thankless fux!
    A blog shouldn’t even be this funny!

Try Some Reality Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 12:07 am
    I better check out. Good times. Good times.

and HERE COMES YOUR COWARDLY ASS…

# Seymour Bush Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 12:19 am

Looks like the fleas just got chased out again. Good.

####
    you wimp.

• Plunketthead

You are a f innut
    You have been doing this for two years under many different names, the same thing over and over.
    Many people here have called you on it and two or three slap you around daily.

But if you actually think you are crapping in tall cotton, go right ahead and keep showing everyone what an arse you are.

• MistaBrown

I nearly died laughing when I read that! You know he sat and watched his good buddy tj get rolled and then he shows up after the fact like he kicked some a$$…LMFAO
    ____

# Seymour Bush Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 12:19 am

Looks like the fleas just got chased out again. Good.

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

# Seymour Bush Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 4:54 pm

======================
    Sure they do :)

When it comes to slapping your lying cross posting geriatric lonely unemployed ass down, many just seem to want to laugh along :)

go figure…

BTW..the ONE PERSON WHO CAN’T STOP THINKING ABOUT ME?

you :) Go look..whenever Mr B or I aren’t you, YOU ALWAYS MENTION US..when we leave, after beyotch slapping you? YOU ALWAYS ASK ‘WHERE DID THEY GO’??

You’re like a little insecure girl, whining when we’re here, whining when we leave.
    Oh..my bad..a ‘slow” little insecure girl.

See..I can admit my mistake.
    Now about your world famous rock band that made you millions when you were 18?? Anything on that, Old Man? lol….didn’t think so.

I know who those 2 or are :D
    _____

Plunketthead Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 4:59 pm

Many people here have called you on it and two or three slap you around daily.

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

# MistaBrown Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:00 pm

____

# Seymour Bush Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 12:19 am

Looks like the fleas just got chased out again. Good.
    ==============================
    Yeah, lol…after my tournament ended at 1:30, went to close browser, and saw the worm’s comment, AFTER it was safe..only about the 15th time he’s done that..waited until everyone left, to sneak in, post, and rush away, like the coward he is.

Think about it.

Two people here are avowed, busted, cross posters…Oakglen, and MR.
    Both cowards.
    Both weak.
    Both spineless…why would someone feel the need to cross post who WASN’T the above?

• MistaBrown

Seymour successfully turned the blog upside down with his child like sociopathic behavior..

Back to Football

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

Is it not “odd” how Oakdork says ‘you’re done here” followed by him proving it’s him that is done?

Now he’ll sit and read…wait until its safe.

Why do girls do that?

• Plunketthead

If we didnt have a military force and if the sheiks and the reps were not raping us everyone would have free electricity coming from the rooftops of the homes they own and we would have cool electric cars and we would drink free bubble with rainbow stew and we would all have foot long weinnies to spank the ladies with.

Something tells me you are a dammed commie and you would be better off in Denmark where they already have all that stuff.

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

Speaking of JR, as I recall, wasn’t the hold up on his contract that Al wanted to add in a never before stipulation, that part of the salary would be on performance?
    Wasn’t that one of the last hold ups?

Odd how Al knew, lol.

• M Lonetree

Florida Pete,

!
    Sharapova!
    !

• Plunketthead

except for the foot longs, of course

• MistaBrown

All the green Countries like Spain, Brasil, Greec, and Denmark are all bankrupt socialized disasters. Thats what empty headed libs like Seymour are striving for.

_____

# Plunketthead Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:05 pm

Greece*

Have to correct typos in here now or it gives Seymour a platform to inundate the blog with horse sh!t reposts.

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

Hey Oakdork,
    Bring your sorryass over to Sunshine Saloon and Sports Bar, on Santa Rita Rd, in Pleasanton..it’s Taco Thursday.
    I’ll be there in about an hour, and will buy you a Margarita if you’ll sit and let us laugh at ya some more.

they have booster chairs, in case you’re wondering.

• Nnamdi21

MistaBrown Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:10 pm

===========

THIS country is bankrupt!

THIS COUNTRY!!!

And whos’ responsible? REPUBS!

Gawd you’re clueless.