Raiders finally come to pass

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, May 26th, 2010 at 2:05 pm in Oakland Raiders.

You’ve been reading in this space for the better part of the last four years about the worst passing game in the NFL.

The Raiders’ in inability to catch the ball was exceeded only by their ineffectiveness when it came to throwing it.

Poor timing. Bad routes. More footballs on the ground than eggs on Easter Sunday.

I’ve written about it for the last four training camps as well as most OTAs and minicamps. Then the Raiders would live down to expectations and show that practice does indeed make for imperfections.

So it’s worth taking note when things go well, simply because it hasn’t happened that often.

Yes, Wednesday’s practice was a mere “organized team activity.” No pads, no hard contact. But that never stopped the Raiders from having bad practices before.

With quarterback Jason Campbell getting most of the work (the company line will be about training camp competition, but the only way he doesn’t start is because of injury), the Raiders, with offensive coordinator Hue Jackson challenging his offense and talking trash to the defense, actually put a legitimate NFL passing game on the field.

(Quick admission _ my car broke down close to home, and I had to get it towed to a shop. Got back home and took another vehicle to practice and arrived late, but was told I saw most of the team sessions).

“I’ve seen how far we’ve come as an offense, and we’re much better and guys are developing,” tight end Zach Miller said. “I mean, just watching him, Heyward-Bey has been phenomenal out here. He’s matured a lot and I’m really looking forward to seeing what kind of season he’s going to have.”

Indeed, Heyward-Bey was the best receiver on the field Wednesday (Chaz Schilens remains a spectator recovering from foot surgery). He caught everything thrown his way and if he even bobbled the ball once, I didn’t see it.

Most of the routes were shallow to medium depth _ he never got well downfield for a catch. But he accelerated into shallow crosses and then smoothly turned up field for gains. He made a catch on Nnamdi Asomugha and left him in the dust with a spin move for extra yards.

“Today was a really good practice for him,” Asomugha said. “That’s the best practice I’ve seen from him here. Last week we went through OTAs and he was doing a little better, I guess, there was some inconsistency.

“But today was a good day for him to build off of and see how he comes out tomorrow. It’s days like this you want to keep stringing along. You don’t want to fall back after a day like this. He was catching the ball. I don’t know that he dropped a ball. Caught maybe eight or nine, so that was good for him.”

After one red zone score, Heyward-Bey was greeted in the end zone by Louis Murphy and Tony Stewart for a three-way celebration.

Heyward-Bey, whose style is to let the failures roll off his back, sounds pretty much the same after success. Not a lot of emotion or I-told-you-sos.

“We’re just competing out here,” Heyward-Bey said. “That’s something Hue has brought in, competing against each other, wide receivers, O-line, running backs, going at the DBs. It’s fun. We have a good practice, we let them know. They have a good practice, they let us know.”

Said coach Tom Cable: “Darrius was really on today. But I thought a lot of things went in to that. I thought the quarterbacks threw him a lot of balls on time. He caught the ball well, made a move with after the catch, which I thought was most impressive. It was a very good day for him.”

More news, notes and quotes:

– Players who were present but were not practicing because of injury or illness included defensive end Matt Shaughnessy, wide receiver Phil Hubbard, linebacker Isaiah Ekejiuba, Schilens and quarterback Bruce Gradkowski.

Richard Seymour was not present, having not signed his exclusive franchise tender. Tommy Kelly and Chris Johnson were not present and were “excused,” according to Cable, assuming there is such a thing in a voluntary workout.

– As a way of putting the pressure on his receivers, Jackson is directly challenging defenders _ and a frequent target is Asomugha.

“Every day and every snap,” Asomugha said. “I think I’m his enemy for some reason, his nemesis or something. I played him in Cincinnati a few times. I played him in Baltimore. We have fun with it. It is fun, fun for him. He likes doing it. Me, I just tune him out.”

Jackson rode Asomugha particularly hard when the less-than-mercurial Luke Lawton got around him following a swing pass reception from Campbell.

Asomugha can see the method in the madness.

“They need the confidence to say they’re going to go out and catch the ball every single snap. And he’s got the confidence so I guess if you can say it enough times, it can kind of leak into the receiver’s minds, too,” Asomugha said.”

– Miller on Jackson: “He’ll call them out _ even where the ball is going sometimes. He’s challenging our offense to be aggressive, be dominating. He won’t accept anything else.”

– Murphy on Jackson: He’s going to tell the defense where the ball is going and it forces us to make a play. It puts a little pressure on us. It’s great, man.”

– Interesting Asomugha comment on the development of the offense: “I don’t think it’s the new plays. We always had all these plays. It’s just that now we’re running them. Last year they were taking more time on their basic plays whereas now he’s going straight into everything and it’s helping them out.”

Translation _ JaMarcus Russell’s lack of dedication resulted caused the Raiders to dumb down the system.

– Bruce Campbell, the fourth-round pick at Maryland who played left tackle in college, conceded his transition to right guard (for now) has been a struggle.

“I was a left tackle, now I’m playing right guard,” Campbell said. “It’s a totally different experience. I’m used to space on the outside. Now I’m on the inside with a lot of help. People would say it’s easier, but I don’t see it being easier right now.”

# Plunketthead Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:05 pm

If we didnt have a military force and if the sheiks and the reps were not raping us everyone would have free electricity coming from the rooftops of the homes they own and we would have cool electric cars and we would drink free bubble with rainbow stew and we would all have foot long weinnies to spank the ladies with.

Something tells me you are a dammed commie and you would be better off in Denmark where they already have all that stuff.
    ========================================

You’re starting to melt down plunkethead. lst you come here calling names, then you recant what you say, now you post gibberish. And last but NOT least, Denmark has the HAPPIEST people on earth, based on quite a few different studies. You might want to shut it down now, you are coming off stupider and stupider.

• Nnamdi21

Peace owt! Use the money you get back from Russell to add a FA vet!

Where though?

DT?

WR?

Who’s avail in FA at FB?

• http://raiders.com Richochet should be Banned

Hey MistaBrownNoser, aka Richochet’s lap dog, it is your capitalist pig conservative douchebags who effed up this country, not the liberals. Get a clue and get on board, or get out.

• MistaBrown

Nnamdi, this Country is bankrupt Im aware. I was just referencing “green” economies. Try and follow along, if you need a box of color crayons just let Jerry know.

FYI…Dems controlled congress since 2006 so you dont have to look any further than right there for the debt. But since your ok with Pres Purple Lips tripling the debt in just 1 year of office lets just leave it right there shall we.

Got run off to a BBQ now Nnamdi ?

• Seymour Bush

Good. Now that the daily unpleasantness is gone, we can all go back to talking football. I do have to commend all you blog supporters for ignoring them.

• http://raiders.com Richochet should be Banned

Richochet, which one of these d-bags is you:

• MistaBrown

Thanks for the Ebonics lesson Nnamdi!
    ____

Nnamdi21 Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Peace owt!

• Seymour Bush

Hey richochetshouldbebanned, I have to say you have a cool handle. Am I you?

• MistaBrown

Seymour, I havent seen you talk “football” since you said Russell was a “bonafide” NFL Qb.

After lighting a torch to the blog this derelict wants to talk football…LOL
    ____

Seymour Bush Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Good boy now run off..
    ____

Nnamdi21 Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Peace owt!
    _______

# MistaBrown Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Got run off to a BBQ now Nnamdi ?

• M Lonetree

Nnamdi21,

You are correct sir about the bankruptcy of the nation.

The GOP does lead the way but the Dems have their dirty hands in there as well. Sh!t happens when they all prostitute to the highest bidder.

It is always thoroughly amazing to me that citizens of this country are so dense to think this place is some eternal Godsend.

Que sera.

• Plunketthead

hahaha that says it all

After lighting a torch to the blog this derelict wants to talk football…LOL

• http://raiders.com Richochet should be Banned

I am you Seymour. I am also Oakglenn, KoolKell, MR, and Jerry.

Lonetree,
    He is actually incorrect as always. Since 2006 Dems have controlled congress and if you went to High School you’d know that congress spends the $$$
    Now, when you have a Dem Pres & Dem congress things REALLY get ugly like they are now! When Clinton was Pres the Rep’s controlled congress, do the math.

# MistaBrown Says:
    May 26th, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Drapes?

What is this 1975 ? I think we use mini blinds now!
    ============================================

MistabrOwn I didn’t know you knew so much about interior design. And of course your “close” relationship with wacky is well documented. And then there was the “typo” where you said the Lions sent Barry Sanders “up some guy” 15 times. You want to tell us something?

Plunketthead Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:24 pm

hahaha that says it all
    ==============================

Plunketthead I am going to give you a little advice. Don’t hook yourself up to the mistabrOwn/richochet wagon. They are the known zero’s on the blog.

Seymour Bush Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:18 pm

______

# Seymour Bush Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:27 pm

# MistaBrown Says:
    May 26th, 2010 at 3:33 pm

Drapes?

What is this 1975 ? I think we use mini blinds now!
    ============================================

• MistaBrown

Seymour its good to know you just want to talk football.

Sociopath

• SnB offense defense specialteams

This is a serious question.

Are you guys adults? Seriously, the banter in here is beyond childish….its outright ridiculous

Seymour Bush Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:18 pm

_____

# Seymour Bush Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:28 pm

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

so, for now?
    Can you explain why you’re such a ball-less worm?

YOU READ THE BLOG ALL NIGHT, WATCHING US TORCH TJ..and you then WAIT until we all leave..then you post the comment at the bottom?

lol…damn you’re pathetic, OLD MAN.

· Richochet Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 12:01 am
    Off for a midnight poker tournament…going to pay for this tomorrow, lol.
    c’ ya

· MistaBrown Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 12:03 am
    The morning crew is in for another treat reading this, and of course they are thankless fux!
    A blog shouldn’t even be this funny!

Try Some Reality Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 12:07 am
    I better check out. Good times. Good times.

and HERE COMES YOUR COWARDLY ASS…

# Seymour Bush Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 12:19 am

Looks like the fleas just got chased out again. Good.

####
    you wimp.
    ===================
    I missed your answer, coward.

Tell me..how do you justify, TO YOURSELF, that you actually NEED to create all these handles, to make yourself feel better?

You on meds, Oakdork?

# Richochet should be Banned Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Richochet, which one of these d-bags is you:

=================================================

She’s the chick on the right, right side 4th photo down. That’s richochet.

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

BTW..you need directions to the bar, Oakwoman?

Santa Rita rd?

Off 580?

Shall I sent a yellow bus for ya?

• MistaBrown

SnB, there was nothing but positive talk about H Jackson and DHB until Seymour arrived. Why dont you start focusing on the problem instead of b!tching about it like a woman with a yeast infection!

• MistaBrown

More football talk SeymourGlen? Just cant stop yourself? Run out of Meds ?
    _____

# Seymour Bush Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:32 pm

She’s the chick on the right, right side 4th photo down. That’s richochet.

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

# Seymour Bush Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:32 pm

# Richochet should be Banned Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Richochet, which one of these d-bags is you:

=================================================

She’s the chick on the right, right side 4th photo down. That’s richochet.
    ============================
    now how precious is MR?

“oh goody..I want to see where he’s going”.

And Oakdork with his 12 year old juvenile bantor?
    For someone 60???

yep, lol…odd…

So tell me, Oakdork, how was it watching Johnny U 40 years ago?

• Seymour Bush

Are you zeroes crying for attention again? Here, do you want me to ackowledge you, just so you don’t start crying?

• MistaBrown

SnB, because guys like you turn your head the other way at the OakGlenSeymours of the world this blog is the way it is. Either standup up to the madness like some of us do or STFU!

• SnB offense defense specialteams

You guys are embarrassing.

• Seymour Bush

You know richochet, mistabrown, looks like you are done on this blog. Go to the Whiner blog. It’s more your “style”. HAHAHAHAHAHA

• http://raiders.com Richochet should be Banned

Oh yeah, I almost forgot that we discovered Richochet is a woman.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Later

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

# SnB offense defense specialteams Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:31 pm

This is a serious question.

================
    It’s offseason :)

Ok..you tell me…how do I go about calling SeyOakdork a “cross posting pedophile geriatric lying POS who’s huevos are the size of BB’s, and who’s spine is non-existent, who has been busted with over 12 handles on ONE IP”??

Oh wait…I think that will do.

Never mind.

Peace owt!
    ____

# SnB offense defense specialteams Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Later

HAHAHAHAHAHA

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

# SnB offense defense specialteams Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Later
    ==========
    buh buy peaches

• http://raiders.com Richochet should be Banned

Richocet, did KoolKell spurn your advances? Is that why you turned against him? No wrath like a woman scorned.

# Richochet should be Banned Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Oh yeah, I almost forgot that we discovered Richochet is a woman.
    ==========================================

I wouldn’t say woman, as much as I would say skank. And mistabrown is a known transvestite.

• buckeyeraider

What is going on Raider Nation?
    I really like what I’m hearing about the latest OTA’s. Know it’s still very early, but Jerry Mac makes it sound like the passing game is already looking better than it has at any time since the Gannon years.
    Cautious optimism. Gonna try not to get too carried away.

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

# Seymour Bush Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:37 pm

=====================
    You just got shyte down your neck, and that’s all you have??

geez…are you…like…giving up, Old Man?

Looks like you’re flustered and pretty much out of ammo..if that’s all you have?

And the “hahaha”???
    dude..you seriously DON’T KNOW that everyone knows that means you have squat, and it’s a desperate attempt for you to just say something/anything?

lol..you don’t know that?

How old are you? seriously..you in your late 60′s??

• http://raiders.com Richochet should be Banned

That’s right Seymour, MistaBrown used to be Divine Brown:

• Seymour Bush

Actually we have been talking football all afternoon until you two showed. But it has always been this way. It’s time for you two to go get a room and leave here. Forever.

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

so cute watching MR and oakglen, lol…

the two gutter rats, reduced to leaning on each other.

Classic

Are we good…or what?

Anyway, Oakdork?
    Going to take me up on the challenge?
    come on you POS..spineless POS I meant…not that far.
    Santa Rita rd, coward. Easy to find.

You going to wimp out?

Yeah..you know you are…old sorryass fart that you be.

Prove me wrong, beyotch…

Everyone KNOWS you won’t.

but, loser, lol

# buckeyeraider Says:
    May 27th, 2010 at 5:41 pm

What is going on Raider Nation?
    Cautious optimism. Gonna try not to get too carried away.
    ======================================================

Don’t. One thing goes wrong and everything can fall apart. I think the cautious optimism is a good call. We all have hope that some pieces are going to fall into place. DHB will be alright. Murphy will be alright. Miller already IS alright. Mike Bush is going to be VERY good. The offensive line? That is STILL a major question mark.

Repost:

No one is paying attention to you richochet. You’re done here. We all know you are a pyscho internet stalking freak. No one cares what you think.

• Seymour Bush

Veldheer I am very hopeful can come in and contribute on the offensive line some time in a year or two. I don’t know about Bruce Campbell. Workout warriors just do not have a good track record in the league.

• http://raiders.com Richochet should be Banned

Time to BBQ. Have a good night everyone not named Richochet or MistaBrown.

Good night!

• Seymour Bush

And as for the rest of you:

1000!!!!!