Schilens’ progress a good sign

Coach Tom Cable called the involvement of wide receiver Chaz Schilens “limited” Wednesday, but that’s not to be mistaken for taking it easy.

Schilens was planting and driving hard off his left foot during drills as well as seven-on-seven sessions and team sessions. He wasn’t limping or favoring the foot in any way, and it’s worth noting that Schilens also practiced Tuesday as well.

Considering Cable had originally suggested Schilens would be out until training camp, it was welcome progress.

“I’ll do what the trainers tell me but I’d like to run as many routes as possible,” Schilens said. “I’ll try and get a few more reps. Right now it’s just taking it slow. I’m happy with how I feel and that’s what’s most important.”

Schilens was reluctant to discuss his foot problems of a year ago but it wasn’t hard to read between the lines and understand that despite his 29 receptions over the last eight games, he never really approached the level of play reached during training camp and the initial broken metatarsal. He had surgery at the time of the break, and again after the season.

“It was kind of something I knew by the way I felt,” Schilens said. “I gave myself some time off after the season. I didn’t get the surgery and then I kind of thought about it and talked to them and we made a decision to go ahead with it. I think it was the right one because I feel good now, better than last year.”

Schilens, who employed the polite strategy of “if you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all” when asked about JaMarcus Russell for most of the past two years, had no problem identifying what he liked about new quarterback Jason Campbell.

“He’s smart, intelligent, throws a good ball,” Schilens said. “He works hard at learning the offense. I’m happy.”

More OTA news, notes and observations:

– Considering the experience level of the Raiders’ receiving corps and the need for someone to catch 60-plus passes and provide first downs, it’s hard to overstate the importance of getting Schilens back healthy and making sure he stays that way.

– Darrius Heyward-Bey update _ still looking good. Real good.

Training camp, full contact and preseason games will be far more significant, of course, but Heyward-Bey has outplayed Louis Murphy in each of the last two OTA sessions open to the media _ and there wasn’t a single time you could have said that last year.

Included was a 20-plus-yard red zone strike from Jason Campbell, leaving a badly beaten Walter McFadden in the dust, and a handful of other receptions. On another play, Campbell, under a heavy rush, threw a ball off his back foot with Heyward Bey running from left to right, accelerating back to the ball and making the catch with both feet in bounds.

Heyward-Bey is shrugging off the good practices in the same way he did the bad ones.

“Just playing, playing fooball,” Heyward-Bey said. “I’m just out there playing.”

– DHB on Campbell: “He’s looking for me. When I’m out there, I’m just thinking the ball’s coming to me every down, no matter who the quarterback is.”

– Walter McFadden and Jeremy Ware were beaten repeatedly by the Raiders passing game, and the rookies were hearing about it unflattering terms from boisterios new secondary coach Kevin Ross as well as returning defensive backs coach Lionel Washington, who is usually more low key.

“Hey, this ain’t no time to (bleeping) play catch, let’s go!,” Ross yelled with disgust.

Later, Washington said, `C’mon, let’s make a (bleeping) play. Let’s go!”

Cable, asked about the rookie defensive backs taking a beating, was taking the long-term approach.

“It’s gold,” Cable said. “In many ways, those guys (Asomugha, Johnson) not being here kind of helps this time of year because you get to see where McFadden and those guys are and what they’re learning.”

– On one play, wide receiver Todd Watkins caught a short pass and had no trouble losing Rolando McClain on a spin move. McClain’s ability to defend the pass in training camp will be a big storyline.

Another play with a similar issue _ tight end Brandon Myers finding a seam in the red zone and catching a perfectly-thrown Campbell pass over strong side linebacker Kamerion Wimbley.

Expect teams to test the ability of Wimbley, McClain and Trevor Scott by spreading the field and attacking the linebackers.

– Wide receiver Shaun Bodiford had one of the few outright drops by receivers on the day, and later, after a catch, incurred the wrath of offensive coordinator Hue Jackson for stepping out of bounds after holding on to a later pass.

“What did you go out of bounds for? We don’t get any points for running out of bounds,” Jackson said. “We’ve got too many good athletes to run out of damn bounds.”

– Defensive tackle Lemarr Houston went on an unprintable and extremely politically incorrect rant directed at Samson Satele following one play. Just guessing, but Houston will be involved in twice as many scuffles as anyone one else in Napa.

“You get get those young people like (Houston) and Dez Bryant and Tyvon Branch and Rolando, all from kind of the same mold, that you’ve got to be relentless to play defense,” Cable said. “I see Lemarr bringing that to practice every day. When he gets the chance to have contact and do those things, I think it will just elevate everybody, otherwise he’ll be a pain in their rear.”

– Cable was a fan of John Wooden long before he served as an assistant coach at UCLA. But it was while at UCLA that Cable was able to not only meet Wooden, but have a picture of the Wizard of Westwood with his two sons.

“I’ve used the pyramid (of success) for a long time, my dad actually taught me from it,” Cable said. “It didn’t matter what he talked about. There was always something to it if you were willing to sit and listen.”

– If the 49ers want to identify one of the main threats to their Santa Clara stadium dream, they might want to consult Al Davis.

It was Carmen Policy who Davis felt helped torpedo a proposed stadium at Hollywood Park, and it’s Policy who is now part of a group still hoping the 49ers end up in San Francisco should the Santa Clara financing fail to materialize.

Update on the Darren McFadden-Michael Bush situation to come later . . .

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Thec07

2 in a row

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

In a related story, Al Davis called Tom Cable’s involvement “limited”.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Vegas doesn’t know the ghetto parts of Frisco. He only knows the parts he visits, like the Castro.

4th?

5-11?

• Nnamdi21

Nnamdi21 Says:
    June 9th, 2010 at 1:53 pm
    The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    June 9th, 2010 at 1:44 pm
    # Nnamdi21 Says:
    June 9th, 2010 at 1:42 pm

Wishing RMR would get banned again permanently…from the planet.

…………

Pfft. I wish you would get banned from the planet.

===============
    Ooh! ugh! OW! You got me!

I bow before your greatness. What kind of a comeback could I possibly have. You’ve cut me to the quick. No possible way for me to redeem myself after such a sound verbal thrashing.

Guess you really showed me.

jack azz

# Lynn from Snot Says:
    June 9th, 2010 at 1:51 pm

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    June 9th, 2010 at 1:47 pm

# Lynn from Snot Says:
    June 9th, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Campbell is light years ahead of the garbage we had going into last year. That makes a big difference.

……….

5-11
    =================================

5-11 = hater. After this draft and getting rid of #2 that seems a bit harch.

………………

It’s actually a kind estimate. It’ll probably be 3-13.

• Thec07

The greatness that is semi pro….

Nnamdi21 Says:
    June 9th, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Ooh! ugh! OW! You got me!

…………..

It wasn’t a comeback. I mean it. Anybody who wishes me “banned from the planet” is going to get the same well wish in return. I hope you get “banned from the planet”, too. Whatever you mean.

• Thec07

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++=

I like most was very critical of this young man. If he can step it up, that would boad well for the NATION…

***

Fire Baby: sounds like a pretty awesome #2 QB !

• Just Fire Baby

*************************

Again….where is the tolerance!!!!

# RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 9th, 2010 at 1:54 pm

new post!

…………….

Same record!

• Nnamdi21

Diggin Lamar Houston

• Just Fire Baby

*******************************

Does he mean “no matter who the cornerback is”? Or is he flexing his 10 wonderlic?

Or a victim to the glasses-less Fearless Leader?

• Thec07

Houston sounds like a mean mofo….Like that a lot

who stood up for DHB when nobody else did?

who stood up for Huff last year when nobody else did?

yeah … you know

• Nnamdi21

Sparks flying off the bones of that horse skeleton RMR keeps beating.

We all know who the REAL Madeen Loser is.

Can’t wait for contact and btw, wheres Seymour?

• Just Fire Baby

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    June 9th, 2010 at 1:51 pm

******************************

Never been to SF that didn’t involve a sporting event, a 420 festival or a strip club.

Never even heard of the Castro.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

What did DHB and Huff do to prove their naysayers wrong?

• Nnamdi21

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 9th, 2010 at 2:01 pm
    who stood up for DHB when nobody else did?

who stood up for Huff last year when nobody else did?

yeah … you know

================

Wouldn’t quite say “nobody”

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

I was joking, Vegas, relax.

• Thec07

I know its only OTA’s but our LB’s appear to be susceptible to the pass…

• Just Fire Baby

RaiderDogg check your e-mail if your out there.

• Thec07

RaiderRockstar Says:
    June 9th, 2010 at 2:01 pm
    who stood up for DHB when nobody else did?

who stood up for Huff last year when nobody else did?

yeah … you know

++++++++++++++++++++++

Props to you Rock, you called it Bro…

Nnamdi21 Says:
    June 9th, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Sparks flying off the bones of that horse skeleton RMR keeps beating.

We all know who the REAL Madeen Loser is.

……………..

Wow. You’re a great writer. NOT!

• Nnamdi21

23. You’re right. Its only OTAs

• Just Fire Baby

Do they have a comeback player of the year in the NFL?

If so, that trophy has DHB written all over it.

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Called what? What did DHB and Huff do?

• Thec07

Nnamdi21 Says:
    June 9th, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Sparks flying off the bones of that horse skeleton RMR keeps beating.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

LMAO…

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Did one of you just seriously say that DHB will be comeback player of the year because of something he did..IN A SCRIMMAGE.. today? Did I really read that? Help me out here.

• Thec07

He called and said he would buy a number 2 jersey like you did….

• http://www.randomfunnypicture.com/pictures/1373alcoholism-helps-you-forget-other-problems.jpg Lynn from Snot

—————————————————–
    Lets see how things go when the pads are on in Napa.

• Thec07

Blog personalities are in full tilt right…lol

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

It’s June and Raider Fans are ridin high!

• Just Fire Baby

You read it all right.

Your not keeping up very well. Remember, forward-thinking?

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Yeh, a padless, non contact scrimmage, at that. But evidently DHB and Huff did something today in basically shirts and shorts, without contact, to redeem themselves for lousy play in real games. I just want to know what it was. Nobody will say. I promise I won’t gut laugh (fingers crossed)

• Thec07

Truly the “blog personalities” are in full effect….

• http://none The Real MaddenRaider

Kell, we already have a comeback player of the year prediction based on something that happened in a padless, non contact scrimmage today. They are riding high. High on crack.

• Plunketthead

Pat Pitterson who?

Scary tore him up with that write up and theres more to come.

Bush probaly got pissed and kicked the crap out of the wannabee gangsta from Little Rock.

# KoolKell Says:
    June 9th, 2010 at 2:08 pm

It’s June and Raider Fans are ridin high!
    =============================================
    Damn right it was a potentially good draft and the deuce is loose.

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    June 9th, 2010 at 2:08 pm

You read it all right.

Your not keeping up very well. Remember, forward-thinking?

……………..

Sure I do. That’s when you claimed the Raiders will win 8 this year, and I’ll remember it.

***

#6 WR: Watkins, anyone?

ROMAC doesn’t have Raider speed. We knew that when we drafted him. Why is he covering WR’s? I remember Kirk Morrison trying to cover Brandon Marshall in the redzone last year too. Guess how that ended up?

and Kirk did have speed and decent cover skills. Marshall needs to quit this or we’re gonna be calling for his head during the regular season. it’s bad enough that we suck against the run!

• Thec07

New post ladies….

• aig

DHB and the Corp is doing exactly what they are supposed to do. Catch the darn ball without contacts. I feel good that they are doing what they are supposed to do as compared to last year. If you can’t catch without contact then how can you catch with contacts? progress baby.

• supapimp

I’d be happy if DHB catches 40 balls 400+ yards and 4 TD’s next season.

• the_big_one_of_83

this is great news today but we will see if chaz holds up through the preseason

• the_big_one_of_83

I’d be happy if DHB catches 40 balls 400+ yards and 4 TD’s next season.

that would be nice but who will be the 60 plus guy for us