Late-arriving Russell hears it from fans

It couldn’t be, it shouldn’t be, but it was.

If on some level I thought the Andre Ward-Allan Green WBA super middleweight title fight would be a temporary diversion from all things Raider, I was wrong.

Unlike the last Ward fight, which took place during the season in November, there wasn’t a Raider to be found at or around ringside Saturday night at Oracle Arena.

Then, with Ward having his way with Green throughout to the thunderous cheers of the home crowd, came a familiar figure.

Walking right past the press area where I sat near the aisle with columnist Monte Poole, I looked up as Ward was doing his work and saw . . . JaMarcus Russell.

He was wearing a University of Alabama red leather jacket and a new red Alabama hat. He was wearing sunglasses. Maybe Russell thought nobody would recognize him, given that he went to LSU and that sunglasses aren’t necessary in an arena.

Boy, was he wrong.

The boos started growing as an usher helped Russell find his seats. A Raiders fans wearing a crisp, new Rolando McClain jersey (No. 55), stood up and began taunting Russell, asking him for his money back on his season tickets. He’ll have to get in line, given that Al Davis wants $9.55 million of money he paid out to Russell as part of a grievance.

Russell attended the Nov. 21 fight between Ward and Mikkel Kessler, and although he got booed there as well, he stuck around and posed with sympathetic fans.

After Ward completed his 12-round shutout of Green, Russell heard the hoots again as he departed, with many fans standing and waving their hands in derision. There were a handful, however, that greeted Russell warmly, and one that even gave him a hug.

It was at the same time surreal and predictable.

Surreal that Russell would show up in Oakland at all. Surely he knows he’s well atop the list as the most unpopular ex-Raider.

Predictable that when Russell did get to the fight, it was two-thirds over.

It brings to mind one of the first qualities wide receiver Louis Murphy identified about Bruce Gradkowski when he took over for Russell last season.

Gradkowski, Murphy said, was punctual.

A strange appearance to be sure, but a remarkable contrast. Ward is earnest, serious about his craft and does little to draw attention to himself. Punctual, too.

Russell? None of the above.

Not sure whether Russell having the nerve to walk into that environment is something to be admired or pitied.

Green must have been OK with it though. For a couple of minutes at least, fans were diverted from the beating being administered by Ward.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• The Return of Godliness

Well plunk we can make predictions of wins and losses all day but key game is Tennessee game….That is mainly my focus as of now. Win in tennessee and it sets the tone for the year

• Plunketthead

Marshall is everything the dumb Ryan was not.
    He has drastically changed the defense and we will see a huge improvement

• Just Fire Baby

I’m going into enemy territory (Denver) in two weeks for training.

Will probably hit at least one sports bar to get the pulse of the Donkeys, Tebow and boy Genius McDaniels.

Plunk, you still kicking around the idea of the AZ game? I’m at about 93% I will be there.

I agree

Raiders 31
    Notsotitan 17

• Legacy510

Post #98-

My thoughts exactly. Bring in Mawae for a year. He’ll be cheap and he can’t be worse than Satele.

While we’re at it, trade Tommy “Moons over my Hammy” to the Redskins for Haynesworth if we can’t keep both.

Mix and Match

Houston,Henderson,Haynesworth,Seymour,Shaughnessy,
    Bryant,McClain,Scott,Wimbley,and Groves as our front 7. Then dare somebody to try and run the ball. Who you gonna double team with that Defensive line? And after all the shyt that everyone in the league has talked about Haynesworth, he’s gonna have a huge chip on his shoulder.

• Just Fire Baby

Tickets go on sale the second week of July I believe, as an FYI.

• The Return of Godliness

# Legacy510 Says:
    June 20th, 2010 at 10:15 am

Post #98-

Mix and Match

Houston,Henderson,Haynesworth,Seymour,Shaughnessy,
    *************************

I dont know bruh….I’d keep TK for this season. We have yet to see him play next to a real NT like Henderson. He wont get double teamed as much and will have more chances to make plays. Warren was awful as a NT

• Plunketthead

I plan on going to the AZ game.

I am under 4 hours from the stadium

• The Return of Godliness

Yall need to come to the Oct 31st game at home vs Seattle

Norco Bob and I will be in row 1 in north endzone dressed as Crockett and Tubbs….Call it “Raider Vice”

• Plunketthead

Actually the Stadium is in west phoenix
    Its under three hours on my bike

• Legacy510

# The Return of Godliness Says:
    June 20th, 2010 at 10:18 am

_______________________________________________________

I feel you Brien. I actually wish we could keep both of em. But I do think that Haynesworth is an upgrade over Kelly, just in looking at their overall body of work. Haynesworth is a proven DT. Kelly is still trying to show that he deserved his huge contract that he got. Like you said, he’s the only dude left on that line that a scholarship player from the old days.

Believe me, I would love to keep him and get Haynesworth. I just don’t know if that’s realistic. i don’t see The Skins lettin him go for nuttin. Unless he gives back all of that 21 mil. then they might let him walk.

I just feel like we’re so close to being a top 5 defense in the league. I’m probably just being greedy.lol

• The Return of Godliness

# Legacy510 Says:
    June 20th, 2010 at 10:27 am

# The Return of Godliness Says:
    June 20th, 2010 at 10:18 am

_______________________________________________________

**************************

No being greedy is cool after these last 7 seasons

Thing is with Haynesworth and Henderson in the middle you dont have an Under Tackle…..need a pass rushing DT

• RNOraiderFan

Trade Russell’s jersey for Ken Yon Rambo!

• RNOraiderFan

Seymour, Shonasty = pass rushing DTs

• Nnamdi21

Russell who?

• Just Fire Baby

All right, well plan on at least tailgating.

• Dude

Close to being a top 5 defense?? WTF? Oh, you must have made a typo and forgot to hit the “2″ in front of the 5. OK. Got it.

• Nnamdi21

112. You’re kidding right? Thats all we have (besides Henderson) is pass rushing DT’s.

Thats a Davis caveat. One gap penetrators.

• Nnamdi21

Plunketthead Says:
    June 20th, 2010 at 10:14 am
    I agree

Raiders 31
    Notsotitan 17

================

Can’t remember the last time the Raiders put up 31.

• Oakland420

That was me with the McLain jersey last night. This article made my day!!!! JaMarcus got some balls bigger than his belly to walk in there like that last night. Raider Nation!!!!

• http://atm Raider O

B,

I don’t know if Mawae can still play at 39, but I would sign him for 1 year. He can compete in camp with Satele and Morris.

Props to Oakland420

Way to represent the nation!!

• jwiggle

B,

Not going to give you a hard time about the Lakes. We were both wrong with our “in 5″ predictions”.

Anyway, I see you got ur fatt fugg Henderson, lol!

• jwiggle

——————————————————-

LMFAO!

I’ll believe it when I see it.

• Plunketthead

The ivory coast team is morphing into transformers

anyone else see that?

Ivory Coast 5
    Carnival time 1

• jwiggle

Carlisle has sucked since 2007 ended.

—————————————————-

Bruce Campbell = starter at RG

Fire

Its a deal, if they allow tailgating.
    You bringing friends?

• jwiggle

——————————————————

We don’t need a C for 1 year. If you want to bring him in to take Morris’ place, fine.

Satele will be fine in year 2 of this system. I was one of his biggest critics last year, but the guy has some talent. 2nd rated C coming out behind Khalil when he was drafted.

Especially with Gallery and Campbell flanking him.

• Dude

How do I know a guy on here is an idiot???

He posts thatn Bruce Campbell will start at Guard.

• jwiggle

LOL!

Same ole Dude …

Hey Dude … What position is Bruce Campbell playing for the Raiders?

Dude
    You must not have got the memo
    Bruce is the next Gene Upshaw

lol

That was the best play of the WC

Carnival time got fancy and wound up on the pitch with the ball stripped

The IC can ball

For Rico/MB

Oakglenn Says:
    September 30th, 2008 at 11:01 pm
    I love everyone of my statements. statements of fact. The Oakglenn greatest hits. Sweet.

• The Return of Godliness

# jwiggle Says:
    June 20th, 2010 at 11:25 am

B,

Anyway, I see you got ur fatt fugg Henderson, lol!
    *********************************

Yeah well i was more wrong….gasol shed soft label and artest came up big…..C’s had em but blew it when the crunch came on

• The Return of Godliness

# Oakland420 Says:
    June 20th, 2010 at 10:48 am

****************************

you da man!

• The Return of Godliness

# jwiggle Says:
    June 20th, 2010 at 11:27 am

——————————————————-

LMFAO!

I’ll believe it when I see it.
    ************************************

trust me we will

• severeraiderz

The Return of Godliness Says:
    June 20th, 2010 at 9:05 am
    And last but not least……HAPPY FATHER’S DAY to all the dads out there.

I myself do not have kids but can imagine the enormous sacrifice yall have to make as the leaders of your families. I make alot of jokes in here but I got alot of respect for the real dads who take care oftheir seeds like real men are suppose to. Lord knows times are rough in the world and that adds more stress to your daily routine

SO I RAISE MY BEER to toast all the dads of the Raider Universe!

-================================================================

Much appreciated my man…..lol how bout them lakers, damn they won me A LOT of money

• severeraiderz

The Return of Godliness Says:
    June 20th, 2010 at 10:31 am
    # Legacy510 Says:
    June 20th, 2010 at 10:27 am

# The Return of Godliness Says:
    June 20th, 2010 at 10:18 am

_______________________________________________________

**************************

No being greedy is cool after these last 7 seasons

==========================================================

I actually think that Haynesworth could play the UT and would relish the oppurtunity. Having him at the 1 or the 3 technique where he could shoot the gaps and rush the passer imo would keep him motivated and happy. He wants to put up #’s and playing the UT optimizes his oppurtunity to do so. Also Henderson played a lot of 3-4 DE last year so we would have great flexibilty wit him and Haynesworth on the line. That being said, i dont want him on our team having an influence on our locker room and our younger players

• Plunketthead

The gold standard: generator and protector of jobs
    Hugo Salinas Price
    The abandonment of the gold standard in 1971 is closely tied to the massive unemployment the industrialized world has suffered in recent years; Mexico, even with a lower level of industrialization than the developed countries, has also lost jobs due to the closing of industries; in recent years, the creation of new jobs in productive activities has been anemic at best.

Take for example the US manufacturers of T.V. Some of the famous US factories that built TV receivers by the millions were “Philco”, “Admiral”, “Zenith”, and “Motorola”. The Japanese had better and cheaper products, and since the abandonment of the gold standard allowed Japan to sell without buying in turn, and allowed the US to buy without selling in turn, the result was that all the huge factories producing these TV’s in the US were closed down. That’s how “going off gold” closed down US industry.
    Unlimited purchases from Japan flowed to the US and the world, because they were paid in dollars, which could be created in unlimited quantities. The balance the gold standard had imposed disappeared and imbalance took its place.

• Plunketthead

The “globalization” so highly praised by the financial press in recent years, has become the worst imaginable nightmare. It is no longer possible to support the unemployed with government handouts. The Sovereign State is close to bankruptcy. Thus, nature takes its revenge on those who dared violate its laws by seeking to impose false money on the world.

Richard Nixon’s elimination of the gold standard has proven to be the US’s best possible strategic gift to China and the rest of Asia. Today, China has a colossal industrial base that might have taken centuries to build, while the US is to a great extent devoid of factories and incapable of reclaiming its former glory. How tragic a fate for the US!

• Plunketthead

If Americans find they simply cannot purchase Chinese goods, Americans will manufacture those goods themselves. Industries and new jobs will spring up like mushrooms immediately, to satisfy American demand. International balance will be restored, unemployment will disappear.

Protectionism is not a cure, it is a Band-Aid. Mexico will not achieve the prosperity of which it is capable through protectionism nor by resorting to Socialist measures that crush the creative spirit of the individual. Nor can we succumb to renouncing our nationality and accepting absorption by the US, imitating all the (very costly) measures the current US administration imposes on its citizens. The ideal combination for Mexico includes a moderate dose of nationalism, a government that does not incur deficits, the institution of a monetized one-ounce silver coin, the “Libertad”, to stimulate and protect savings, and eventual participation in a new global gold standard, in which our nation can find the opportunity to fulfill its destiny.

• The Return of Godliness

# severeraiderz Says:
    June 20th, 2010 at 12:39 pm

The Return of Godliness Says:
    June 20th, 2010 at 10:31 am
    # Legacy510 Says:
    June 20th, 2010 at 10:27 am

# The Return of Godliness Says:
    June 20th, 2010 at 10:18 am

_______________________________________________________

**************************

No being greedy is cool after these last 7 seasons

==========================================================

*************************************

Interesting I remember them in college but that was a decade ago that those two played together. Can it work vs NFL guards and centers?

• Nnamdi21

jwiggle Says:
    June 20th, 2010 at 11:32 am

Especially with Gallery and Campbell flanking him.

======================

This is his 4th yr in the League and I don’t see it. Too often he gets turned around and has his back to the LOS, completely misses delayed blitzes and stunts, struggles to get second level and doesn’t make reads.

In the ZBS center is the most important guy. He makes the reads and the calls for blocking schemes.

Satele hasn’t been anywhere close to accomplishing that.

Hope he’s made leaps and bounds but pretty skeptical.

I’d be shocked if anything other than an injury places Campbell in the starting lineup anywhere on the line let alone guard.

He’s terrible at run blocking ESPECIALLY cut blocks a staple of the ZBS.

Campbell’s too raw to make the starting line up at guard this year. He doesn’t even know how to play his “natural” position of tackle.

Don’t be surprised if we enter game on with Carlisle at RG.

• severeraiderz

_______________________________________________________

**************************

No being greedy is cool after these last 7 seasons

==========================================================

*************************************

=======================================================

I believe it would and it wouldnt be an every down lineup

• The Return of Godliness

# Dude Says:
    June 20th, 2010 at 10:39 am

******************************

Dudette….you killin me here! Just alone by having a real Nose Tackle and MIDDLE LINEBACKER makes this defense leap out of the bottom rung of the defense. We will tackle much better. There will be no more Gerard Warren playing like a 3 tech guy leaving the entire defense to die…..and there will be no more of Kirk Morrison’s soft presence.

The run defense is improved. It will be a day and night difference in 2010 compared to what you have seen lately. The Dline has deep quality depth and so does the LB position. We have a good secondary but depth may be in question. Nonetheless the defense will not be the Al Davis defense of the 60s its going to attack people. Yes the BLITZ! Outta here with that 25th shyt

• http://www.actionext.com/playlist_57486.html La Milicia Negra

Plunk..

I like your predictions, its always 5-1 and its always 5 to the loser… funny stuff

• http://Noknuckleheads! 909RaiderLifer

Bri3n….

Props to you for manning up and having your helping of humble pie…

Will be looking for you and Bob on the t.v. on Halloween, from the local dive where I watch the games at with fellow Nation members…

Glad Jerry’s headline to this post wasn’t: “Angry Raider fan goes Vlad Guererro on JaMarcus’ knee, at Oracle during boxing match.”

• Nnamdi21

147. In theory, it should be improved but we’ll have to see…