Raiders hire Dickenson as assistant to John Fassel

By Steve Corkran
Thursday, July 8th, 2010 at 12:40 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders hired Craig Dickenson to replace Aaron Pelch as the assistant special teams coordinator. He will work under special teams coordinator John Fassel.

The Raiders have not announced the hiring, and Dickenson is not listed on the coaching roster on the team’s website. However, Dickenson said in an interview with the Great Falls (Montana) Tribune that he was hired in April.

It doesn’t make sense why the Raiders wouldn’t announce Dickenson’s hiring. Then again, this isn’t the first time they have ignored protocol and waited for the news to leak out through unconventional terms.

Dickenson spent the past eight years working with the Calgary Stampeders in the Canadian Football League. He intended to take this year off. However, that changed once he received a call from Fassel in March.

“I had met John two years ago at the Senior Bowl in Alabama, and we stayed in touch a little bit,” Dickenson said in the interview with the Great Falls Tribune. “We’re kind of similar in our interests. He’s an outdoorsy guy who likes to bike and run triathlons. I like that stuff, too. He called me in late March and said they were going to hire a second special-teams coach. I interviewed with him and got the job in April.”

Dickenson, 38, also has coached with the San Diego Chargers and several other colleges.
“I never expected to be back in the NFL this soon,” Dickenson said. “In fact, I planned to take a year away from coaching and reconnect with family and friends. My dad just turned 70 and I wanted to hang out with him.”

Dickenson is a rarity in that he was hired by Raiders coach Tom Cable despite not having previous ties with the third-year coach.

“I’ve got to hand it to John Fassel and Cable for thinking outside the box. Not many guys would hire a guy they never worked with before,” Dickenson said. “It’s a small world, this coaching. This opportunity to coach in the NFL was probably too good to pass up.”

• Plunketthead

Best year ever!

• Plunketthead

Long live Al!

3rd!

• RaiderResurrection

New name for our useless First Overall pick in 07

JaNarcotics

• J Wiggle

J Wiggle Says:
    July 8th, 2010 at 12:49 pm

NY supporting cast = Galinari and Chandler who are much better pieces that Beasley and Chalmers in Miami.

LeBron and Amare = better than D Wade and Bosh

NY would also be able to bring in Mike Miller with the MLE.

PLUS the have Eddie Curry’s ridiculous contract coming off the books next year which allows them to get another max player.

Dickenson, 38, is a 1990 CMR graduate who was a place-kicker at the University of Montana in 1991-92. After graduating from UM in 1995, he stayed on as an assistant coach with the Grizzlies for six years. He spent one season at Utah State, two with the San Diego Chargers, and eight in the CFL.

Craig will join the Raiders July 28 when training camp starts in Napa, Calif.

Dickenson said his experience coaching the kicking game in Canada should serve him well in the NFL. In the CFL, the field is bigger and there are many more opportunities for kick returns.

“Coming from the CFL, it should help me a ton,” he said. “The creativity in the kicking game is something I hope I can bring to the states.”

Jwigg: Nevermind – I looked it up

Wilson Chandler
    Eddy Curry
    Toney Douglas
    Landry Fields (Rookie)
    Danilo Gallinari
    Andy Rautins (Rookie)
    Sergio Rodriguez (RFA)
    Amar’e Stoudemire
    Bill Walker

• aig

RR,

Like most of you, I have been burnt the last 8 years every offseason. However, I think I am more cautiously optimistic than ever. Anything to get back to respectability is a good season for me. Dont doubt that I dont have the Koolaid ready to drink up should they show positive signs in training camp.

• stoopidmike

Not too Happy Ekejiuba got waived…..very valuable special teams player

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Jermaine Oneal to the Celtics….

• stoopidmike

Jwigg: Nevermind – I looked it up

Wilson Chandler
    Eddy Curry
    Toney Douglas
    Landry Fields (Rookie)
    Danilo Gallinari
    Andy Rautins (Rookie)
    Sergio Rodriguez (RFA)
    Amar’e Stoudemire
    Bill Walker
    ———————
    FYI Sergio signed overseas

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

“I never expected to be back in the NFL this soon,” Dickenson said.

Translation: Only the sucker Raiders would hire me!!!

• Plunketthead

Only two schools have three superbowl winning QB’s

name em

• Plunketthead

Jacoughdrop

• Plunketthead

Heres a hint
    One of the qb’s played for the raiders

Isaiah Ekejiuba: Well Raider Nation, it was fun while it lasted. Sure you’ll be hearing soon enough I just got waived by the team. Thanx for all the support!

46 mins 14 secs ago

• Plunketthead

JaMikeVickthesecond

I dont think anyone has ever had more nicknames then JR

• stoopidmike

I’m gonna have to update my twitter account…All the now former Raiders i follow….

• Plunketthead

My first thought was Stanford and the GoldenHomers

• Plunketthead

Stanford has The Mighty Plunkett and horseface
    ND has Montana & ?

Not too Happy Ekejiuba got waived…..very valuable special teams player

***

Mike: I’m not stressed about it

he was WAY overpaid and never played a down on defense

Ricky Brown & Travis Goethel can both play MLB behind Rolando McClain, so whoever wins this training camp battle will earn a roster spot

Jon Alston is out too this offseason. ST studs Sam Williams & Ricky Brown are probably the favorites to replace them barring an excellent training camp & preseason by Goethel, Nixon or Norris

• stoopidmike

Plunketthead Says:
    July 8th, 2010 at 1:06 pm
    JaMikeVickthesecond

I dont think anyone has ever had more nicknames then JR
    —————————-
    I dont think he compares to Vick. Vick had some great success early in his career. also very mobile,unlike JR. I dont see anyone complain about vick’s work ethic, he just had a problem dog fighting. nothing to do with football. JaMarcus problems were on the field and getting in shape. Only recently an off the field thing popped up, and he wasnt even in the league at this point.

Jermaine Oneal to the Celtics….

***

at the same time telling Rasheed Wallace to “stay retired”

haha

Thanks Ike! Good luck!

Raider O will be pleased …

• stoopidmike

RaiderRockstar Says:
    July 8th, 2010 at 1:09 pm
    Not too Happy Ekejiuba got waived…..very valuable special teams player

***

Mike: I’m not stressed about it

he was WAY overpaid and never played a down on defense

————————-
    I agree he was way overpaid…..Then again,most of our team is overpaid,to the point where i dont even look at contracts anymore with this team

• Plunketthead

They are both wannabe grownups who let down family, friends and fans by making immature decisions and tossing their livelyhoods down the drain

***

good point. I’m pretty sure long snapper Jon Condo is making more than Head Coach Tom Cable … haha

Steve Corkran is the man.

I bet he’ll have a new post up about Ike in less than 30 minutes …

• stoopidmike

Plunketthead Says:
    July 8th, 2010 at 1:14 pm
    —————————
    Yes but on the field no comparison! Im not a vick fan,i’m just sayin…..He wasnt a bust. If you wanna compare russell, compare him with couch/leaf/akili smith. He was already done prior to off the field stuff imo. the drug thing is obsolete he was already unemployed.didnt look like he was getting picked up

• stoopidmike

RaiderRockstar Says:
    July 8th, 2010 at 1:14 pm

***

—————————-
    Haaa yeah good one!

he was WAY overpaid and never played a down on defense

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Condo?

• stubblebuzz

JaNarcus

I think Jeff Fisher makes $5.5 million a year.

Lane Kiffin was the lowest paid at $1.25M, which means Tom Cable probably got something similar replacing him

Mar 15, 2010 … Raiders re-signed restricted free agent LS Jon Condo to a one-year, $1.684 million contract.

LOL! I was right

• DKnight007

J Wiggle Says:
    July 8th, 2010 at 12:22 pm
    LeBron should go to NY …

I don’t see any other option for his pursuit of being a billionaire basketball god.

How can the king NOT go to the Mecca?

^^^^^^^
    If it’s all about the EGO and Lebron brand making as much money as possible….then he can go to Knicks.

He won’t win a title in NY for quite some time either though.

Going to Chicago would bring the balance he should be looking for.

It’s interesting how MSG’s stock rose 6% yesterday though. Insider trading perhaps?

What a joke….

DKnight007:

the Cavs lost to an OLD Boston team last year that has remained intact

Even if King James returns, they are still faced with replacing Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Shaquille O’Neal, Sebastian Telfair and Jawad Williams

what bigs could they get?

Brad Miller, Kenyon Martin & Udonis Haslem ???

• DKnight007

Special Team punt returns and kick returns better wake the hell up this year after being non existent and lousy all of last year!

• DKnight007

RaiderRockstar Says:
    July 8th, 2010 at 1:33 pm
    DKnight007:

the Cavs lost to an OLD Boston team last year that has remained intact

what bigs could they get?

Brad Miller, Kenyon Martin & Udonis Haslem ???

^^^^^^^^
    B Miller has been done for 3 years now and K Martin has maybe 3-4 more years max

• stoopidmike

As i stated on my FB last night, everything still goes through the Lakers. Last i checked, Boston had 4 great players and lost. Miami might get 3, but gasol can hold bosh,kobe can hold wade,and artest can try to hold lbj. bynum would have an advantage over whatever they got at center, and laker bench is much better than what miami would end up with

How ’bout some reverse Robin Hood economics?

Stephen Moore calls for raising taxes on the poor in order to pay for tax cuts for the rich.
    The Bush tax cuts are scheduled to expire in January. President Obama has expressed a desire to preserve the cuts for the middle class while letting tax rates for the wealthy reset to where they were during the Clinton administration. Conservative lawmakers and pundits have been fearmongering that allowing the tax cuts for the wealthy to expire will kill job creation and small businesses (despite the fact that fewer than 2 percent of small business owners will be affected). Last night on CNBC, Wall Street Journal editorial board member Stephen Moore went so far as to say that he can’t “see the sense” of allowing cuts for the rich to expire, and then advocated that taxes be raised on the poorest Americans in order to finance more tax cuts for the rich:

“I just don’t see the sense of this. In fact, if I could have my ‘druthers, I’d raise the ten percent tax rate to fifteen percent and lower the [top] rates.”

Adopting such a plan would only exacerbate income inequality that is already the worst it has been since the 1920’s. According to the latest data, “the gaps in after-tax income between the richest 1 percent of Americans and the middle and poorest fifths of the country more than tripled between 1979 and 2007.” The top 1 percent of families now receive nearly 25 percent of the country’s income, after earning less than 10 percent in the 1970s. This year the Bush tax cuts will give millionaires more in tax breaks than 90 percent of Americans will make in total income.

• Pingback: Raiders hire Dickenson as assistant to John Fassel - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!

if LeBron couldn’t get past Boston with Shaq, Jamison & Mo Williams he certainly isn’t going to with NY!

especially now that JoNeal is in Beantown

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Breaking News:

Phil Jackson has arrived in Miami and it is believed he will be named the new head coach of the Miami Heat after the Lakers failed to re-sign Derrick Fisher and failed to come to terms with Jackson on a new contract. The deal is believed to be worth $45 million over three years.

• http://None The Real MaddcnRaider

Go Chargers!!!!!!

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Whew, two days of pure hell at work has ended, so I am taking Friday off baby!

• http://None The Real MaddcnRaider

Powder blues for life, whose comin with me!!! We’ll never win in San Diego again guys just admit it. i.e. Our record since the last superbowl in …. San diego. Screw the silver and bleek

• Ryan

Nice to see a Montana Grizzley as a Raider. (My two favorite teams.) Now I’d like to see is brother Dave come in as a coach, as well. He is a legond in Montana.

When I met Tom Cable last year, I told him I was from the land of the Montana Grizzlies and he looked up at me, smiled and said he had some great times in Missoula.

*fart*

• http://media-2.web.britannica.com/eb-media/63/60563-004-52A399D4.jpg Dakota

Where the hell is everyone? Miami?

• Plunketthead

Stabler, Starr and Namath went to Alabama.
    One other school with three SB winning QB’s

• Nnamdi21

EXCLUSIVE: 07-08-10 “TWIT” CLAIMS RAIDERS WAIVE HIGHEST PAID SPECIAL TEAMS PLAYER
    “According to Ekejuiba50 on Twitter, Oakland special teams linebacker Isaiah Ekejuiba has been released from the Oakland Raiders.”