Camp questions: How good is Mike Mitchell?

With reporting day less than two weeks away, the fifth in a series of questions and issues to be sorted out in Napa:

How good is Mike Mitchell, and where does he fit in?

In some circles, the second-round selection of Mitchell, was considered the biggest reach of the 2009 draft. Draft analysts such as Mike Mayock and Mel Kiper were stumped. Mayock admitted he knew little about the Ohio University safety. Kiper had him a seventh-round pick or signing as an undrafted free agent.

It’s known the Chicago Bears had placed a phone call to Mitchell before the Raiders stunned everyone with the selection, but still know one knows if the Raiders reached or were simply on to something with the rest of the league asleep at the wheel.

Mitchell showed some promise late in the season, but conceded in November his development was stunted by hamstring problems which made him a bystander in training camp.

“If you could look at my college tape, and then look at how I was running around earlier in the year and at training camp and in practice, that’s not even the same football player,” Mitchell said.

The Raiders utilized Mitchell in packages where he could play in the box, be a hitter and make the kind of hits that made him a Youtube sensation even if NFL scouts were oblivious.

Mitchell has made good on a promise to spend much of his offseason at the Raiders facility working out, and presumably the athletic training staff has made sure his hamstring issues are a thing of the past.

That means there could be more than a few scuffles during contact drills _ Mitchell missed most of camp but did get in one memorable scrape with Louis Murphy last year in Napa. In the best case scenario, Mitchell helps elevate practice intensity and brings an enforcer’s mentality to the secondary.

Still be determined is how best to use Mitchell. He said he played everywhere at Ohio, but his hitting ability and physicality would appear to far outweigh his ball and coverage skills. He is similar in skill to Tyvon Branch, the fourth-round pick a year earlier who led all NFL safeties in tackles (admittedly in large part because of the failures of the front seven). Branch is considered by the coaching staff to be a potential star.

The Raiders have long played a single deep safety _ it’s an Al Davis staple _ and Branch and Mitchell operate better closer to the line of scrimmage.

Mitchell is part of equation along with an new linebacking corps to make the Oakland defense more stout against the run and more physical.

Exactly how creative the coaching staff will be to get him on the field and make him effective will play out in Napa.

Previous camp questions:

Can Mario be super?

Can Higgins return to ’08 form?

Where is Seymour’s ripple effect?

Can Bush be a beast?

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• SaintKaufman

I can never tell when you’re joking MR because of all of the crap that u guys spill out onto this blog everyday, but if you’re serious about college kids getting hammered to be in the 30 percentile range, well, then, you never went to college!!

Go Raiders!

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

Another example: Gun shots were fired during a fight in the parking lot of Tom Brady’s wedding. Almost NOTHING about it in the sports media, or even the mainstream media for that matter. Could you imagine if shots were fired at T.O. or Ocho’s wedding? We’d never hear the end of it. Endless reports on the “thug culture”. “was ‘purple drank’ involved”? Incident at Brady’s wedding? Nothing. Just disappeared.

• SaintKaufman

Well that’s a big ‘no duh’!

Are we gonna start talking about how the international bankers own the media? :)

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

I don’t know the percentage, to be honest. How can you be certain it’s more than 50%? What college did you go to? Are you factoring in all of the foreign exchange students, immigrants on visas, quiet kids who just want to get a degree, and there are a lot of them, in fact, I really think they make up for the majority. Then at Notre Dame you have a lot of devout Catholics, many of them considering entering the clergy. I just don’t buy that “most” students at Notre Dame drink. I don’t know, though. If you’ve got anything that could remotely prove they do, I’m paying attention. I just don’t think it is, and I think it’s irresponsible for a journalist to justify the son of a football god getting arrested for drinking under age by proclaiming “most” students do. I’ll bet it’s the opposite.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

If the topic I’m discussing frustrates you, you have the option of not reading it.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

And you’re saying “getting hammered”. As in getting drunk, regularly. What college could function with most of its student body being alcoholics? BS. The dropout rate would be through the roof, and their campus would eventually get closed down. I think your view of college life is based on movies.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

• SaintKaufman

Damn can you run with sh!t.

Well, go on then.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

What college did you go to, Saint?

• the ROG is ready for 2010

College drinking! Those werrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeee theeeeeeeeeeeee daaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyssssssssss!

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    July 17th, 2010 at 9:45 pm
    What college did you go to, Saint?
    **********************************

Lush University perhaps……….I prolly shoula went there

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

When did you go to college, Br ien? And where?

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

I don’t think Saint went to college. I think his view of college life is from 80s movies.

Texas Tech.

And yes, getting hammered was on the carriculum. It was awesome!

• SaintKaufman

….and yes, the ball players were right there with us!

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

A journalist saying “most” people do something without having a shred of evidence is irresponsible. Most college students don’t get arrested for drinking. I’ll bet that most don’t even drink. But when the sports teams and the fraternities/sororities do, of course it would give a feeble minded person like Saint Kaufman and the guy who wrote that article the impression that everyone does. That’s the epitome of low self esteem, thinking “everyone” is doing something, when in reality, just the elite are.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

How many students attended Texas Tech when you were there? Thousands, I presume? How many would show up to a huge party? A hundred or so, realistically. Maybe a couple hundred, tops. Now that doesn’t prove in any way that most students don’t drink, but it could give a delusional person like yourself a dose of reality as to just how few people do. Maybe it seemed like everyone was drinking because you viewed the frats and athletes that you idolized as “everyone”. But in reality, most of everyone was at the dorm studying.

• SaintKaufman

Thanks man, never thought of myself as elite.

shucks

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    July 17th, 2010 at 9:47 pm
    When did you go to college, Br ien? And where?
    ****************************

Went to CSUN my friend….we drunk some but i majored in cocaine lol

SaintKaufman Says:
    July 17th, 2010 at 9:49 pm
    Texas Tech.

And yes, getting hammered was on the carriculum. It was awesome!
    ***************************

Yeah Lubbock im sure all yall did was get plastered

• the ROG is ready for 2010

But in reality, most of everyone was at the dorm studying.
    *****************************

MR most people dont really dig into the dorm study until finals time…..come on man

• SaintKaufman

Where is this empirical data that supports your findings that most students are in their dorms studying?

Really, it’s all pretty silly.

I got your original point.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

Saint, I never though of you as elite, either. Pay attention. I said you idolize the elite, and mistake them for representing “everyone”. That’s where you came to the conclusion that everyone drinks. Oh, god no, my friend. There is nothing elite about you from what I can see. I have you pegged as a thirty something still trying to prove yourself socially. Sad is more like it.

• SaintKaufman

I was pretty amused to learn that toga parties actually existed!

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

Br ien, when and where did you go to school?

• the ROG is ready for 2010

Well MR not all college students drink you are totally correct but there is a pretty good portion that does especially when they hit the age of 21

Now people are crazy drunks like myself were drunks before hitting the campus

My expertise was the 8am special

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    July 17th, 2010 at 9:59 pm
    Br ien, when and where did you go to school?
    *************************

Cal State Northridge 2000s my friend

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

You refuted my original point. You didn’t “get it”. You argued with it. So I’m arguing for it. Like I said earlier, you can shut out the lights on this any time you want to. You’re the one who keeps trying to convince me that “everyone” in college drinks.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

Bri en, you think it’s responsible journalism to say “everyone” in college drinks?

SaintKaufman Says:
    July 17th, 2010 at 9:58 pm
    I was pretty amused to learn that toga parties actually existed!
    ******************************

LOL those were ok….went to one at UCLA……Maurice Drew and all the UCLA football team was there hammered…..but uCLA people were much cooler than USC folks…..you would think Beverly Hills would be the stuck up mfkers and people over by the hood would be cooler…..Nawps!

• bigd2010

um here are some stats…………Binge drinking is a form of alcohol abuse. It is the large consumption of liquor per sitting that leads to physical and cognitive impairment. It remains an ever growing problem amongst college students as the sub
    cultural of partying is looking to surpass the academic culture of campus life. Currently binge drinking is constituted for males as having more than 5 drinks in one sitting and for females as having more than 4 drinks although recent studies from Harvard Universities department of Public Health shows that 51% of college males drink more than 5 drinks in a row, about 12, and 40% of college females drink more than 4 in a row, about 9. This study also tells us that 44% of US college students have participated in binge drinking in the last two weeks.

The most likely of candidates for binge drinking include white students under the age of 21, particularly so if they are in a fraternity or sorority. This is three times more likely if they were binge drinkers in high school. College binge drinkers reported doing so due to a need for social status, peer pressure, academic stress and 47% reported binge drinking to get drunk due to their new found freedoms from authoritarian homes. One in four reported binging at minimum three times a week. This ever popular growing past time with college students has severely detrimental effects to themselves, their classmates and communities. NIAAA statistics based on college binge drinkers between the ages of 18 and 24
    show that in a given year binge drinking results in 1400 deaths, 500,000 injuries, 600,000 assaults, 70,000 cases of sexual abuse, 40,000 cases of unprotected sex of which 10,000 of these are reported as being too drunk to know if they consented, 150,000 alcohol related health problems, 1.5% attempted suicide and 2.1 million drive drunk. Of all of these 31% of binge drinkers meet the DSM criteria for abuse and 6% meet the criteria for dependence. Of all college binge drinkers 25% show immense academic suffering and are 21 more times likely than the non binging student to miss class, fall behind, damage property, get hurt, engage in unplanned and unprotected sex and get into trouble with campus police and officials. A combining of college surveys show that binge drinkers dramatically affect their academic peers. Results from non binging college students report that 71% have their sleep and studying interrupted, 57% get stuck tending to intoxicated students, 36% have been insulted or humiliated, 23% have unwanted sexual encounters, 23% get into serious arguments, 16% have had their property damaged, 11% have been physically assaulted and 1% haven been raped by a severely intoxicated peer.

Just as binge drinking in high school increases the likeliness of binging in college, binging in college increases the likeliness of future drinking problems. This creates a problem for society as more professionals are being fired for being intoxicated on the job; this includes lawyers, doctors, surgeons, engineers. These are all people that we depend on to go about our lives are maintain our society and being intoxicated hinders this. In order to prevent this colleges need to implement and enforce dry campus policies, produce punishments for drinking on campus, support more anti-drinking groups and stop looking the other way. Although college is a time for becoming independent and it is not the college’s job to monitor the drinking habits of the students it is their job to produce well rounded adults capable of making informed decisions that benefit themselves and society. This can not be done by allowing excessive drinking. Until something is done the consequences and the statistics for them will continue to show an increase as they have been over the last 5 years.

Swing and a miss.

40 something, kids and dogs. If I was a socialite I wouldn’t be on a blog on a Sat night. That’s the sad part I suppose.

What’s up with the name calling? You friggin 12?

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

college drinking is trivial next to world issues, but where do journalists draw the line? Should a journalist every proclaim “everyone” or “most” people do anything without providing some kind of empirical data to back up their point? Next thing you know, journalists could say that most black people are criminals, most women are stupid, most jews are greedy. And the only data they’ll need are personal examples.

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    July 17th, 2010 at 10:02 pm
    ***********************************

possibly

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

Saint, buddy, I didn’t say you were a socialite. I’m calling you a loser. 40 something with a dog? I believe it. But I still think you’re a wannabe. Your description of college life says it all.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

bigd, that article only demonstrates that college students binge drink, doesn’t say how many. Only Raider fans…

• the ROG is ready for 2010

MR why so rough to Saint?

Wow MR, you’re weird!

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

No journalistic standards then, Br ien? For all of the complaining you Raider fans do about the media, it’s funny to see you turn around and support the media when they lack integrity. Anything for the sake of disagreeing with me. But to jump in bed with the sports media? Tomorrow this guy will write an article saying most Raider fans are high functioning retards who jerk off 10 times a day. Of course, many are. but I doubt most are. I think journalism should be fact based, that’s all. So it’s inappropriate to say most college students drink to justify the behavior of Joe Montana’s heir. Goodnight.

night night MR.

• fat kidd

If my mother put on a helmet and shoulder pads and a uniform that wasn’t the same as the one I was wearing, I’d run over her if she was in my way. And I love my mother.”
    - Bo Jackson

# SaintKaufman Says:
    July 17th, 2010 at 10:10 pm

Wow MR, you’re weird!

……..

Does a 40 year old loser who still longs for a college social life have the high ground to call anyone weird? I don’t think so. Goodnight, loser.

• SaintKaufman

Like I said, you sure can run with things.

peace

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    July 17th, 2010 at 10:10 pm
    *****************************************

hahahahahaha

• SaintKaufman

Holy crap, 10 times a day???

That’s serious dedication right there.

• fat kidd

Nearly 20 years after Davis fired Shanahan as the Raiders’ head coach, a reporter asked Shanahan if he still harbors bad feelings against Davis and the Raiders, or if time has dissolved his anger about being let go four games into the 1989 season or Davis in general.
    “No, it doesn’t dissipate at all,” Shanahan said with a stern stare.
    The reporter replied: “So feelings are still the same today as they were the day you became the coach here and first played them?”
    “I said it doesn’t dissipate at all — that’s what that means,” Shanahan said.
    “Thank you,” the reporter said after getting a far better response than he expected.
    “You’re welcome,” Shanahan replied, before walking from the podium, smiling, and saying: “OK, might as well get it fired up.”

• SaintKaufman

OK, I’ll play. What is the ROG?

Lyle Alzado:

“I never met a man I didn’t want to fight”.

• fat kidd