For those of you who didn’t see it on Comcast, some quick hits from Tom Cable’s press briefing:
– Rolando McClain hasn’t signed a contract, but Cable is hoping he’ll be signed by the time the team practices Thursday.
– The Raiders will again have four days of “learning intensive” practices. It’s mostly choreography and footwork, deathly boring to watch, but Cable believes its of great benefit.
Other than the injury to Chaz Schilens, Cable liked the way the Raiders stayed healthy through camp, without the kind of soft tissue injuries sustained by other teams.
– Jason Campbell is the starting quarterback, information which was first leaked in a story on Raiders.com during a camp preview.
With Bruce Gradkowski not being around for three months, Cable said it was the only thing that made sense.
– Cable wasn’t shy about proclaiming the Raiders a factor in the division, regardless of preseason prognostications. He said the “changing of the culture” has been complete.
– The hiring of defensive assistant Greg Biekert was to retain a sense of Raiders tradition and bring in someone with the kind of attitude who can help with run defense as well as work with McClain at middle linebacker.
– Offensive coordinator Hue Jackson will call plays from the sidelines, not in the booth.
More to come later . . .