Brennan adds depth for Dallas game

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Saturday, August 7th, 2010 at 8:49 pm in Oakland Raiders.

The Raiders signing of quarterback Colt Brennan Saturday means they’re not sure if Bruce Gradkowski and Charlie Frye will be healthy enough to face Dallas in the first preseason game and don’t want to go into it with only two quarterbacks.

Brennan arrived for the afternoon practice and spent most of the session getting a cram course on the offense from Ted Tollner, the team’s passing game coordinator last year and still listed that way even though the Raiders brought in a new offensive coordinator in Hue Jackson.

The Raiders looked at both Brennan and undrafted free agent quarterback Jevon Snead of Missississpi, before determining Brennan to be the better option.

Gradkowski spent his second day as a spectator with a groin injury, and Frye watched with a “sore” right wrist that was wrapped.

The Raiders declined to make public the transaction necessary to put Brennan on the roster, as they needed to either trade, cut or put a player on injured reserve in order to allow him to practice.

Among those not present for the afternoon session were wide receiver Jonathan Holland, who was awaiting MRI results for an injured ankle, safety Hiram Eugene, defensive end Jay Richardson and defensive tackle John Henderson.

Richardson and Henderson participated in the morning session. Eugene, coach Tom Cable said, was at the dentist.

• Plunketthead

I hate the crackboys and almost threw up watching sports center when Emmitt told Daryl he loved him.
    I posted this because of the next to last paragraph.

Daryl ‘Moose’ Johnston Keeps Lost Art of The Fullback in Our Memory Somebody always steals the show at the Hall of Fame induction ceremony with a teary speech.

This year, though, they guy on the receiving end of the sobbing words did.

Emmitt Smith’s emotional thanks to his teammates was the highlight of Saturday night’s event, but it was his appreciation for his lead blocker, Daryl “Moose” Johnston that was most poignant.

Of the Moose, Emmitt said:

“Daryl Johnston, where are you? Will you please stand? You mean the world to me (tearing up) not just because we shared the same backfield, but because you sacrificed so much for me. People don’t understand what it took to be a fullback in our system, the sacrifices you made not simply with your body but your whole spirit. You took care of me as though you were taking care of your little brother. Without you, without you, I know today would not have been possible. I love you from the bottom of my heart.”

Johnston was forced to retire prematurely due to neck injuries incurred paving the way for the game’s all-time leading rusher, but like the majority of the 1990s Dallas Cowboys stars, he has found success in the TV studio. Along with Michael Irvin, Troy Aikman, Smith, and Jimmy Johnson, Moose can be seen talking NFL on Sundays, making him the world’s ambassador of the fullback position.

Fullbacks, it seems, are a dying breed. Since the retirements of Moose and Mike Alstott, the position has lacked a marquee player, and the game has moved away from bruising rush-heavy offenses to some extent.

Still, Smith’s words, as well as Moose’s presence in the announcing booth, remind us how great fullbacks can be.

• Plunketthead

So now we have two QB’s that the Redskins deemed not worthy?

That could be because they have to have a pro bowl QB to compete in the NFC east and they know JC & the colt dont have what it takes.

Hopefully Jason has enough in him to propel us to respectable again, however I cant see Colt making the team unless Superbruce and Fry keep melting down from injury.

That cant be a good sign for either of them and our hopes for them

• priesttj

Post#79 by GG is the most confused piece of double talk I’ve seen in a long time. The guy swomming in his own words. He called a 3/4 NT a 1gap player…………..which is just flat out dumb.

Anybody with a basic understanding of the 3/4 alignment knows the 3/4 NT is a 2gap player by definition. He’s responsible for both Agaps

Sometimes I think people get in here and start talking and don’t know how to shutup and just mak bigger fools out of themselves than need be.

There are times in recent years that we have shown a 3/4 look but our base defense for the last 10 years has been the 4/3 Sands would occasionally play NT when we show that alignment even Warren occasionally played NT in that alignment doesn’t make us a 3/4 team.

This stuff i too frustating to explain when you have people who are just here for the argument. But it’s basic football. Nothing extraordinary.

• Southern Raider

I remember Colt in a BCS game against Georgia a few years back. He could do nothing against them. The coach pulled him in the second half of the game. After that he sat on the bench, with his helmet on crying because of the beating he took. I will take Frye and Grads over him any day.

• priesttj

I agree Southern Raider he just seeems like a camp arm is all. I watched him in an all-star game and he look like a fish out of water. His arm strength is nil and he’s not very accurate. That’s the problem with these spread offenses. They always have someone open in the short zones. They just flood the short zones and hit the one of 3 guy’s who should be open. Normally 1 in the intermediate and 2 in short routes. It’s a joke of an offense but at that level it’s like taking candy from a baby. It would work about 5 mins. at the NFL level.

• http://atm Raider O

Are we still talking about NT/ DT/ 1 Gap/ or 2 Gap?!

• http://atm Raider O

Weneed a young QB to develop. If we don’t sign one the season, then I think we will daft one next year between 4-7th RDs.

• http://atm Raider O

We can’t depend on trades and FA to get our QBs. We need to learn how to develop QBs, and this is the best time since we have Hue Action Jackson (good QB coach).

• priesttj

I think they have to Raider O, Grads can’t stay healthy. I’d like to see us get a player who unexpectedly drops.

BHP,

I thought we were going to draft Jimmy Clausen when he dropped to the 2nd. He is a Cali Kid!

BHP,

I think R Mallet will drop to the 2nd or 3rd, and then we should get him.

• Southern Raider

I thjink they should draft a qb for the future. Someone they can let sit on the bench and learn for a few years. Although Campbell may just suprise us this year. If he does he is still young enough to be theqb for the next 10 years.

• YoungAmerican

If the Raiders can’t develop a QB with Hackett, Tollner, and Jackson all on the staff, then something is truly wrong.

Although it sucks not having a first round choice next season, many competent quarterbacks can slip into the second or third rounds. Maybe next year is the year?

Even then, without a solid offensive line in place, a rookie QB isn’t going to do much good. If Veldheer and Campbell don’t develop quickly, The Raiders need to find an answer at left tackle (or right tackle) and center.

In my opinion, they also need to find a cornerback who can get mentored by Nnamdi and eventually take over for him. Because let’s face it, he’s not going to be around forever, and the Raider defense hinges on good man-to-man cornerback play.

• Just Fire Baby

I think Campbell is young enough to be somewhat considered a guy to “develop”.

He seems to have the work-ethic, understanding of the importance of being a leader (a must for a QB), reading defenses and the like.

He just needs to learn to hang in the pocket better, and take more chances down the field, all the while not making the back-breaking turnover.

A fresh start was needed, but he has to do something with it, and throwing for 3400 yards, 20 TD’s, 60% but still going 5-11 won’t cut it.

• http://atm Raider O

I like Campbell a lot! We need a better backup than GarbageKowski. We can’t depend on him due to his injuries. We need a young QB to develop so he can be a backup for now!

Vegas,

I like Kowski as a backup, but his injuries are a concern.
    If Mallet drops to the 3rd due to bad play or injury, then we should daft him!

• YoungAmerican

I think we should give Jason Campbell two or three consecutive seasons with the same offensive system, and see how he does. He has the mechanics, the leadership, and the work ethic. He just needs to be a more decisive passer. But Campbell has all the skills to lead this team, and some stability could go a long way for him.

• http://atm Raider O

I can’t blame the 5-11 season on JC. They had no OL, no WRs, and go rushng game. They had a QB and a TE, and we all know that’s not enough to win.

• YoungAmerican

I should say, that also depends on how Hue Jackson’s offensive game plan pans out.

Go= No*

• YoungAmerican

I was very disappointed Big Al didn’t pick up another running back. McFadden gets injured and is more of a passing threat anyway, and Bush checks out of the game whenever he seems to be on a roll. Somebody needs to pick up the slack, and I don’t see Cartwright or Bennett fairing any better than Fargas.

Then again, without solid run blocking by the offensive line, it’s hard to tell how good the running game is. But good running backs have overcome worse offensive lines…

• http://atm Raider O

I agree YA. We should drafted a RB late in the draft.

• YoungAmerican

While Legarrette Blount is a similar back to Michael Bush, two power backs isn’t necessarily a bad thing. Especially on a team where the backs have to break most of their own tackles due to a poor offensive line. We could have picked Blount up as a UDFA. Oh well.

Part of me still wants to see Marshawn Lynch come aboard.

• http://atm Raider O

I wanted Blount too, and I didn’t think he will be undrafted.

• http://atm Raider O

A lot of people assume M Bush is a power back due to his size, but you should have watched him play at louisville. He is not a power back!

• YoungAmerican

He’s definitely got more moves and better speed than the average power back, but he still has the ability to run through tackles. Which is more than I can say for other backs on our roster…

• YoungAmerican

I think Bush is a really unique talent, and if used properly with McFadden and another back, we could have an amazing running game. Think New Orleans with Pierre Thomas, Reggie Bush, and Mike Bell.

The key there, obviously, is having a competent offensive line. Kind of pisses me off how cheap Jammal Brown came when Washington traded for him… he fits the Shanny’s ZBS but has the size to power block. Another move I wish the Raiders had made, but hey, I guess there’s a reason I’m not a GM.

• YoungAmerican

Kind of excited to see them getting Marcel Reece involved more in the passing game, though. I wanted Dorin Dickerson in the draft, but he went way higher than I thought he would. Reece looks like he can be a similar player. He’s a FB who has seen time at RB, TE, and WR in college, and has great hands and speed out of the backfield.

With Reece on the roster, I don’t know why Lawton still is…

• MistaBrown

Kinda just like you tj..
    ______

Priesttj Says:
    August 8th, 2010 at 8:48 am

• Plunketthead

The Saints gained 400 yards more then our three headed monster did on the ground..

That works out to about 20 yards more per game.
    I bet we kick their butts this year

• MistaBrown

What 3 headed monster are you speaking of Plunk?

Fargas, DMAC, Bush = 2.5 headed monster. Id rather have a 2 headed of DAMC/Bush

• priesttj

YA

Let it all play out in preseason, cut downs will be coming soon enough. Reece has taken a little longer than I thought he would he has a lot of talent his problem is he does tooo many things well. I think he will be better utilized as a FB/TE I guess an H-Back the kid has legitimate 4.4 speed at 240 lbs.

• fat kidd

RB Darren McFadden sat out practice on Saturday with a tight hamstring

• fat kidd

Bills to speed up Spiller’s progress soon
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on August 8, 2010 2:04 PM ET
    Bills running back C.J. Spiller’s slow introduction to the team’s offense may last roughly two days.

The No. 9 overall pick signed on Friday, and the team has worked him into the mix slowly thus far. Following the team’s off day on Sunday, Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that the Bills will start to integrate Spiller into the first team offense.

Fred Jackson figures to remain the starter into the season, but head coach Chan Gailey will want his most explosive offensive talent on the field plenty. Spiller already looks like the team’s top option on kick and punt returns, another sign he will be used differently than most first-round picks at running back.

With Spiller in the mix, Marshawn Lynch again looks like a spare part on the team’s run-first offense.

• Just Fire Baby

Raider O Says:
    August 8th, 2010 at 9:37 am

********************************

They did have a great defense, and much better WR’s than we had.

It surely wasn’t all JC’s fault, but everyone just seems to gives him a free pass. 20 TD’s and 18 turnovers will not get us much better than 6-10 this year, because we won’t have the #7 ranked defense like he had last year.

And he sometimes plays to his opponent. His best game was against the Super Bowl champion Saints and his worst game was at home to the Chiefs(when he was benched at halftime).

He will have to play with more consistancy and fire this year, if we are to win the West, which is very, very do-able.

• YoungAmerican

I don’t think Jason Campbell’s problem in Washington was being on a bad team, necessarily. There are good players on the Redskins, especially on the defensive side (even DeAngelo Hall isn’t a bad player, but he’s a liability in man coverage, which was all the Raiders played during his tenure here).

The problem was the coaching staff. Zorn in particular was in way over his head as a head coach, and constant change in offensive philosophies pretty much rendered the offense useless. There was a story from Zorn’s tenure that over the course of the week, the offensive coordinators only spoke directly to Jason maybe once a week. The coordinators would make the play book for Zorn, and then have Zorn teach it to Campbell.

An unusually stable and competent Raiders’ coaching staff (especially now that Cable can let Hue Jackson work with the offense) is going to help Campbell a lot. It’s clear from the players’ attitudes that this year comes with an entirely new mentality and confidence in the coaches, which I don’t think has been the case in a long time.

• YoungAmerican

If Hue Jackson can utilize his power blocking for the run like Baltimore did, we’ll be in good shape. Bush and McFadden have all the talent of Ray Rice and Willis MacGahee. It’s just a matter of them being used properly.

I think it’ll also be interesting to see if those offset offensive line formations with two tackles on one side will be implemented. I think it might be a good way to get Veldheer or Campbell more involved. Hell, with as big as Langston Walker is, it might even be a good way to utilize him.

• Jerry still Hating on the ROG

# priesttj Says:
    August 8th, 2010 at 8:48 am

**********************************

HAHA this guy is beyond hilarious…..BHP please keep posting…..he still wants to be stubborn to the end, but I guess he didnt notice Cable’s words lol

• Jerry still Hating on the ROG

# MistaBrown Says:
    August 8th, 2010 at 10:54 am

What 3 headed monster are you speaking of Plunk?

Fargas, DMAC, Bush = 2.5 headed monster. Id rather have a 2 headed of DAMC/Bush
    *******************************

You guys outta listen this Mista more often

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

Priesttj Says:
    August 8th, 2010 at 8:48 am

=================
    LMAO..Pot? Meet kettle!

Never has a windbag sprouted off with rambling nonsense as you have, TJ.
    All these “guarantees” that never happen.
    All these predictions that never come close.
    All these “personal contacts” that you later deny even knowing.
    All these “talked to him about” where later you state ‘never met the guy’.

You’ve written the book on hypocrite, TJ.
    I believe it’s in it’s 4th printing

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

What’s up, Fleabag?
    Where’s your pops? Haven’t seen him in these parts but the one time.

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

Speaking of that..admit it, Bree the Flea…when you saw Eddie D, you started yelling ‘MAFIA..HE’S IN THE MAFIA”, didn’t you, lol ;)

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

Don’t think the knock on Bush is fair.
    Guy had a gut hit, and couldn’t catch his breath, and took himself out for the play.
    Since then all you hear is he can’t take it, or whatever.
    Having the wind knocked out of you is not something you just stand up, and it goes away.
    Bush needs his reps to get in a groove, and should get them.
    Dmac is a walking bandaid.

• YoungAmerican

I think both Bush and McFadden are the kind of backs who need to see the ball a lot, because eventually they can break off huge runs. The problem with McFadden is that he can’t stay healthy enough to see all those reps. If the coaching staff can get him more involved in the passing game, like New Orleans uses Reggie Bush, he can still be a weapon for the Raiders. But I doubt he’ll ever be the Raiders’ primary back.

• YoungAmerican

I’d like to see something like this:

RBs:
    Bush
    McFadden
    Lynch

FBs:
    Reece
    Tonga
    and bring in Houston or Daniels if the situation calls for it.

• Jerry still Hating on the ROG

# Richochet Says:
    August 8th, 2010 at 12:07 pm

***********************

No StirFry I mean Rott errr…PEDOchet……I thought cheater and then Rice was standing next to him and I thought about the tragedy of your precious win for Prop 8 the other day

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

No, DMAC can’t take the pounding. He better to learn to hold onto the ball better or he won’t even make it in the passing game.

• Jerry still Hating on the ROG

BHP please bless us with more posts please…..I generally like to watch all the episodes of “Martin” for its comic value but you sir by far are the funniest man on the planet

• MistaBrown

Rich, how log until SeyGlen pops up with a new screen name? I say by the eve of 1st pre-season game!

• Jerry still Hating on the ROG

# Richochet Says:
    August 8th, 2010 at 12:23 pm

************************

PEDO……DMAC is fine……not worried at all. The offense will be much better. Remember that fraud of a QB isnt there anymore…at worst by default its a major upgrade