Raiders quick hits; practice link

A few items before this afternoon’s practice at 3:30 p.m.:

– It’s easy enough to take shots at the Raiders if you so desire. Going on a riff in any direction of 29-83 is a good start.

But there’s a difference between a shot and a cheap shot, and former Raider receiver and wide receivers coach James Lofton crossed that line Sunday night on the radio broadcast of the Cowboys-Bengals Hall of Fame game.

For one forgettable year. Wilson spent four years with the New York Giants before joining the Raiders, and he’s since been with MIami and now Cincinnati, missing a lot of tackles along the way. That’s four teams in four years. And yet supposedly learned the art of the personal foul in Oakland.

– Having spent last year with the Washington Redskins, here was Colt Brennan’s scouting report on Jason Campbell:

“Already they have an all-around good guy, a hard worker, a guy that’s going to be a leader and gets respect from his players. Jason is a natural, kind of prototypical NFL quarterback. Six-four, he moves really well, he’s got a big arm, can throw the ball down field.

“I think Jason’s biggest thing that’s been hurting him is he’s never got situated or gotten stabilized as far as coaching and being in the same system for a couple years. That’s when guys start to grow. You don’t see too many guys come out, the Peyton Mannings, the Brett Favres, they all went through their growing pains.

“Jason’s never really got a chance to get through that.”

If Brennan doesn’t make it as a quarterback, he’s got a future as an analyst.

– Here is Monte Poole’s assessment of future Hall of Fame possibilities. He rates Tim Brown at 60 percent to be inducted to Canton some day.

– I’ve explained before why I’m dubious of Brown’s chances to be enshrined any time soon (and have talked to enough selectors to have an informed opinion), but Ray Ratto’s Comcast SportsNet Bay Area column says it better.

– Another swipe at Al Davis for the Darrelle Revis impasse. This time in a New York Daily News NFL column by Gary Myers.

You want to blame Davis for the last seven years, be my guest. But I’ve already explained why it’s ridiculous to hold him responsible for Revis and his holdout.

– Told the folks at Raider Mecca XIII I’d get in a plug for their event, so here’s a link to the Raider Mecca Web site.

From Sept. 17-19, it includes an event with Raiders legends, a tour of the club facility, Raiders merchandise, Everett and Jones barbecue, and oh, yeah, the home opener against the St. Louis Rams _ a game you’d think the Raiders will win.

Sounds like a party.

– Updates from this afternoon’s practice can be found on my Twitter page.

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Just Fire Baby

I just want a guy to excel at the “tackle the RB consistanly at the LOS”-gap.

• MistaBrown

KKKell, what would we do without your inside info? Great stuff Kell, maybe you can track JC down @ Safeway and chase him through the parking lot like you did R Moss.
    ____

# KoolKell Says:
    August 9th, 2010 at 2:38 pm

An old navy buddy of mine from DC says about Campbell: “I don’t know if he’s the long term answer for your boys, but he’s a good man”…………..

• http://atm Raider O

J,

SAY IT!!! Say I Was Right Too!!!

• Jonesy941

LOL

• MistaBrown

I dont see anything wrong this statement that is the Raider reputation endorsed proudly by AL Davis.

“After play-by-play man Howard David noted a personal foul on Bengals defensive back Gibril Wilson, Lofton chimed in with, “He was a Raider, you know.”

• 504 Raider

I mentioned yesterday that Al Davis is good for one more big acquisition before the season and that it would be Plaxico Burress. If he can’t get out of jail, then look for Al to deal for Patrick Crayton. T Howard might be part of the deal.

• YoungAmerican

Thomas Howard and draft pick(s) for Marcus McNeil?

• Nnamdi21

I can’t see us taking Plax. Should’ve just gone ahead and taken T.O. if we’re going to start signing trouble again.

• Nnamdi21

142. Desmond Bryant is looking good.

• RaiderLen

Nnamdi21 Says:
    August 9th, 2010 at 6:49 pm
    ===================================================
    Plax to Arizona or Texas.

He can holster his piece.

He’s less likely to shoot his dick off that way as well.

• RaiderLen

I could see t howard bei ng traded if there is a willing partner.

I think Crayton stays in dallas for now.

• RaiderLen

Nnamdi21 Says:
    August 9th, 2010 at 6:51 pm
    142. Desmond Bryant is looking good.
    ====================================================
    I know Cable likes this guy.

Mabey we can strike “gold” again with Heard.

• MistaBrown

All the hype around McClain & Houston will cause you to forget Shaughnessy & Bryant looked like a nice pair of rookies! T Kelly and J Richardson are on notice.

• RaiderLen

MistaBrown Says:
    August 9th, 2010 at 6:56 pm
    =====================================================
    Yep. Shaughnessy had a solid season. Bryant was effective when given the opportunity.

High energy guys.

• RaiderLen

If the Offense struggles to run the ball to the right, what is the over / under in games before Carlisle gets the boot?

I say 6.

Campbell will be good enough by then. Even at 70% of his future capability, he would have to be better than Carlisle.

• Plunketthead

I wish Superbruce could stay healthy.
    Same with DMAC and his dam “tired dogs”.
    Ditto for Chaz & Fry.

• RaiderLen

Gotta have a healthy DMAC. This guy has to be ready to go for 16 games and contribute.

HE KNOWS. This is the watershed year for DMAC.

I’m beginning to feel that Chaz might just be one of those guys that can never stay healthy.

It happens.

• JB

# RaiderLen Says:
    August 9th, 2010 at 7:24 pm

HE KNOWS. This is the watershed year for DMAC.

It happens.
    **********************

The same certainly holds true for DMac. His health track record is nothing to write home about. If he doesn’t produce this year he’ll either be relegated to slot receiver or traded. Actually, slot receiver is where e belongs. He’s not built for between the tackles action. He just goes in the and gets his skinny ass handed to him.

• edward teach

I normally don’t post articles about players from other teams, because this is a Raiders blog and should mostly stay that way (and I really couldn’t care less about other teams anyway). However, Brian Cushing’s excuse for his positive HCG test is so hilarious that I just had to share it.

Enjoy.

• JB

I’d really like to see Bush, Marshawn Lynch & either Cartwright or Bennett as the #3 RB’s on this squad. Let DMac run from the slot. He’d be good at reverses & quick hits across the middle against LB’s & safeties.

• RaiderLen

JB, agree about DMAC. However he had no prior “injury history” before he was drafted.

Chaz does.

IF we had a dominant O Line, DMAC could run between the tackles.

Until then…forget about it.

• RaiderLen

August 9th, 2010 at 7:34 pm
    ============================================
    Get Him in space.

• JB

# RaiderLen Says:
    August 9th, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Chaz does.

IF we had a dominant O Line, DMAC could run between the tackles.

Until then…forget about it.
    ********************

He’s now playing against pros who are 25-50# heavier and faster than he’s used to. If you look at his basic build, he’s top heavy with no beef down below. He’s built for speed in the open and not banging inside. Actually, I think his running mate at Arkansas, Felix Jones, was the more pro ready back. I think Jerry Jones pulled a quickie on AD. He talked up DMac hoping Felix Jones would be there when Dallas picked.

I agree that we’d be better off with a more dominant O-line but I’m not sure that would make a difference with DMac. He simply just goes down to easily. His center of gravity is just way too high.

• RaiderLen

JB, DMAC seems to trip over the grass…agreed.

I can’t figure that one out.

I would say however the E Dickerson had a similar build, and C Johnson is a bit light in the ass.

That’s why for me anyway, this year is a defining year for DMAC.

He has to answer the question marks, one way or another.

• JB

# RaiderLen Says:
    August 9th, 2010 at 7:52 pm

JB, DMAC seems to trip over the grass…agreed.

I can’t figure that one out.

That’s why for me anyway, this year is a defining year for DMAC.

He has to answer the question marks, one way or another.
    *************************

Agreed. I stil think his future lies with WR from the slot. There, he can be successful!

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Doesn’t look like Plaxico is getting out this year.

But no need for “Big Acquisitions” on a 5-11 team. Wait till they get closer to contention.

• belle

Hi, everyone ,I purchased a jersey online yesterday. I t’s ready good .I promise authentic quality consider service and cheaper price than official online shop

• belle

LeBron finally decided to join Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh with the Miami Heat . It’s his determination,, just hope he will have a better future. The website are updating many jerseys for Lebron.For more information, just log in jersey-boys

• http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1324/raidersskulllogo.png GG

Wiggle Says:
    August 9th, 2010 at 5:33 pm

By the way ..

Went to look at the ultimate football simulator, Madden 10.

GG was right!

The 4-3 weak side DT lines up in the gap between the C and LG. The strongside DT lines up between the RG and RT. 4-3 weakside DT is more often than not going to be double teamed by the LG and C.

The good news is Seymour and Houston should be one on one in most cases.

——

Lol, if it’s in the game…
    Thanks for the tip of your hat.

• RaiderSam

# Just Fire Baby Says:
    August 9th, 2010 at 11:57 am

Colt Brennan’s opinion isn’t worth a hill of beans

AND YOURS IS? Pro internet poster? LOL! Any team that has been 29-83 better get some inspiring comments in by their players….

• Pingback: Jerry McD: Raiders quick hits; practice link - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!

• Pingback: Super Sports NFL Back Pack – NFL Oakland Raiders Backpack | Oakland Raiders

• Pingback: blu ray 3d player reviews