DE Richardson has knee surgery

By Steve Corkran
Tuesday, August 17th, 2010 at 3:39 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Defensive end Jay Richardson underwent surgery on his left knee Tuesday and is expected to miss the rest of training camp.

Richardson hurt his knee during a live-tackling drill during practice Aug. 7. He has been out ever since that day.

Richardson, 26, posted the following message on his Twitter account: “I jus wanna thank the Lord, my family, and all my tweet peep and raider soldiers out there for all the prayer n support. Surgery went great!”

Fortunately for the Raiders, they have rookie Lamarr Houston to start at the right end spot Richardson held for 11 starts in each of his first two NFL seasons, 2007 and ’08.

Richardson likely will return early in the regular season and slide right back into the defensive rotation as an integral part of their scheme to keep the linemen fresh.

More later after the conclusion of practice, and we have had a chance to get some feedback from coach Tom Cable.

Off to practice.

• lefty12

Go Raiders!!!!!!!

• mcskinnnylegs

two

• DirtyRaccoon

DirtyRaccoon Says:
    August 17th, 2010 at 3:39 pm
    Afternoon, Richochet, KK, RR, BCZ24, NATION.!

• DirtyRaccoon

DirtyRaccoon Says:
    August 17th, 2010 at 3:38 pm
    …Client @jayrichardson98 knee surgery was a success, he’ll be back on the field kickin ass & takin names in no time.
    19 minutes ago via UberTwitter
    Retweeted by JayRichardson98
    Reply Retweet

• DirtyRaccoon

No sign of McFadden in Nappa.

• RaiderDaze

I wish McFadden was as good as his avatar on Madden 11.
    He kicks butt on that game.

• JB

Coming back from knee surgery that quick probably meant a minor meniscus tear. That’s an arthroscopic procedure. He should be fine as that procedure is no big deal.

No DMac sighting is concerning. What’s up with DMac. Is he a player or is he a never-was. His clock would seem to be running out.

• RaiderDaze

Dmac & Huff are both on my DO OR DIE list!!

• Nnamdi21

Wheres Jerry? Getting mugged by his mechanic no doubt…

• JB

Jerry is covering the Niners for a few days. Guess he drew the short straw.

• J Wiggle

We need J Rich!

Hopefully he’s back soon

• RaiderDaze

What we need is an O-LINE desperately, these receivers we have are never going to develop with the pressure Campbell gets.

• JB

How many out there feel the time for “potential” is over? Now it’s time for results – What are you doing for us NOW?. Who should we add to the list? I’ll start:
    • DMAC
    • Stanford Routt

There’s also a must go list:
    • Chris Morris
    • Samson Satele
    • Cooper Carlisle

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

I’ve had 3 Menescus surgeries.

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

As I’ve stated mucho times, as the Oline goes, the team goes.
    Given time, most NFL qb’s find their rhythm, and play very solid.
    Running for your life? Throwing off your back foot? getting slammed to the ground, over and over?
    Look at Steve Young with TB, and then with the Niners.
    From being pounded, and then traded, to League and Super Bowl MVP.
    Not saying Campbell can do that, but sure as hell won’t find that out if the Oline can’t protect him.

• http://www.sizzurp.purpledrank.edu A Smithsonian Institute Janitor

JB Says:
    August 17th, 2010 at 4:23 pm

There’s also a must go list:
    • Chris Morris
    • Samson Satele
    • Cooper Carlisle

———————————

I would add Chaz and DMac to the must go list, they simply aren’t reliable. Always hurt. Chaz, as I have said before, is a walking injury settlement.

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

“How many out there feel the time for “potential” is over?”
    Potential..another way of saying “you suck, prove me wrong”

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Potential..another way of saying “you suck, prove me wrong”
    ———————————–
    Absolutely Not. A person with potential does not suck. You suck.

• JB

# A Smithsonian Institute Janitor Says:
    August 17th, 2010 at 4:27 pm

JB Says:
    August 17th, 2010 at 4:23 pm

There’s also a must go list:
    • Chris Morris
    • Samson Satele
    • Cooper Carlisle

———————————

***********************

I would agree to add them to the MUST GO list if they do not significantly contribute to our success this year. That would go for all others currently listed under the need results list.

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

All that guaranteed money Davis gave out to those bums, yikes!!!!!

• JB

# KoolKell Says:
    August 17th, 2010 at 4:45 pm

All that guaranteed money Davis gave out to those bums, yikes!!!!!
    **********************

A lot like a slot machine. Keep pumping in the coin, every once in awhile you hit a jackpot. I guess it’s all part of the game.

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

JB

I don’t know but he’s on the hook for approx 80 million for Russell, Dmac, DHB.

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

# KoolKell Says:
    August 17th, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Potential..another way of saying “you suck, prove me wrong”
    ———————————–
    Absolutely Not. A person with potential does not suck. You suck.
    ================
    I remember these type of exchanges.
    I miss the 3rd grade.
    Now shut up old man.

• JB

# KoolKell Says:
    August 17th, 2010 at 4:55 pm

JB

I don’t know but he’s on the hook for approx 80 million for Russell, Dmac, DHB.
    *************************

WRONG! His investors are on the hook. Davis makes all his bucks from the non-negotiable “lifetime” AD Football Inc. consulting Contract. He gets paid no matter what. He probably also favorably shares in the NFL TV contract. I believe AD is probably a very small minority owner. Why expose your stash when it’s not necessary and you can spend OPM (other people’s money). This IS a great country nonetheless.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Kyle Boller getting second-team reps along with Gradkowski
    about 2 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone
    =======================================================
    Jwiggle may be on to something……

• Nnamdi21

Schilens sits, Brawl Breaks Out

• RaiderLen

There’s also a must go list:
    • Chris Morris
    • Samson Satele
    • Cooper Carlisle
    ===================================================
    Tomorrow is not soon enough.

• RaiderLen

SnB offense defense specialteams Says:
    August 17th, 2010 at 6:45 pm
    Kyle Boller getting second-team reps along with Gradkowski
    about 2 hours ago via Twitter for iPhone
    =======================================================
    Jwiggle may be on to something……
    =================================================
    As I’ve not read all the previous posts…Please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance. :)

• http://raidersfans.net Just Win

RRRRRAAAAAAIIIIIIIDDDDDEEERRRRRRSSSSS!!!

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Schilens…oh well.

If he’s there come season start I am beginning to think its more a bonus. As Nnamdi21′s site suggested, that foot is probably not 100%. And if its not 100%, given its his foot and some small bones…that number might as well be 50 or 60%.

Let’s see if he plays this weekend. Probably should have signed a veteran for the receiving corps.

I know a lot of attention has been paid to Tom Cable and Al Davis’ handpicked O-Line…but I am beginning to think the the weak link is this wide receiver corps.

Look what we have:

Chaz Schilens – On IR watch…barely getting by camp
    Louis Murphy – Shows ability..but puts a lot of balls on the turf
    DHB – Someone called him an engima…well, he hasn’t shown anything tangible to date…just hope.
    JLH – Lapses in judgement at times..poor routes…but he does get catches when targeted..don’t think the team sees him as any more than a slot

All other guys are totally unproven

Run the ball fellas

• SnB offense defense specialteams

“enigma”

• SnB offense defense specialteams

RaiderLen,

Many have speculated that Boller may be here not to push Frye…but to push Gradkowski.

Today, Boller and Gradkowski were sharing 2nd team snaps.

• RaiderLen

SnB, Right on the money observation of the WR’s.

If Chaz can’t answer the bell IR him and bring in a veteran.

• RaiderLen

SnB offense defense specialteams Says:
    August 17th, 2010 at 6:58 pm
    RaiderLen,

Today, Boller and Gradkowski were sharing 2nd team snaps
    ===============================================
    SnB, Thank you Sir. I’m ok with that.

I think Boller should be on the squad.

• 504 Raider

Chaz = Drew Carter

• RaiderLen

For me… Chaz = Frustration.

• 504 Raider

Something is telling me that Cable thinks/knows DMac is our best back by far and he absolutely does not want to put him out there for any reason until it counts.

• RaiderLen

504 Raider Says:
    August 17th, 2010 at 7:06 pm
    ================================================
    Me thinks that Cable realizes that DMAC can be a great weapon if utilized properly, and he doesn’t want a hamstring… “hamstrunging” his effectiveness when the whistle blows for the real work.

• 504 Raider

I think Chaz is soft.

Also when he said “no comment” regarding Russell last year after a game and praised the other QB, he came off to me as a prick. Yeah Russell is a bum and deserve every criticism he gets, you don’t throw your QB (no matter how bad) under the bus.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

504,

I think everyone sees Bush as the #1…but, what DMAC represents is a big play threat running and catching.

This team has been so broken down with injuries at key positions…they are being overly cautious with him.

He gets a couple snaps in the 3rd and 4th preseasson games total and that’s it.

I just hope he, and the rest of these YOUNG INEXPERIENCED players missing all this time are ready to go when the lights come on.

• RaiderLen

Hard to know for sure if a guy is soft unless you play with…or against him.

That rules all of us out.

I’d say that on the field, he has displayed no outward signs of softness.

• Raider Dell

The comments in this blog and the critique given to any Raider Player, who fails to perform at a acceptable level, makes me think some of you, if you were to be a boss or manager and give reviews to your employees, would be brutal.

The offensive line had some decent moments. I noticed in the Dallas game, the offensive line had power runs, but the back side they would cut or ZBS the D-lineman in their zone area. Did anybody else?

So I would guess their going to power right, and zone block to the left.

This will help Bush, more than DMAC. I will be interested to see, how the offense operates against the Bears.

The FB position is up for grabs, just need someone to take it over soon.

You saw three screens. Raiders have been a terrible screen team, looks like there working on the execuation of having screens in the playbook.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

504 Raider Says:
    August 17th, 2010 at 7:10 pm
    I think Chaz is soft.

====================================================
    I think he’s a tough guy. His injuries are real deal out of the lineup stuff.

His body is just injury proned. — Hurting your feet, ankles, knees or tendons are the worst things you can do. He’s had all of them at some point.

Its a tough game…the Raiders problem is how long do you wait before looking for a replacement.

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

504=Didn’t take it like that with Chaz.
    I mean, when you consider all of the bandhanded insults others gave, including comments about a “qb that cares” or “qb who shows up at meetings” etc, a “no comment” reply, especially considering what was going on, was about as mild as you could get.
    What could he say that was genuine, and apply?
    Maybe something on the line of “I wish JR all the luck.”?
    Both are avoiding the issues, and both a pretty mild.

• RaiderLen

So I would guess their going to power right, and zone block to the left.
    =====================================================
    Hi Dell, I hope they don’t plan on “Powering” right with ol Pooper Carlisle.

What did you think of Veldheer at Center, and Campbell at Guard?

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

O line and WR’s need to play at least a half against Chi.
    Chi and 49er game are the two games to see what ya have.
    After that a week of rest and the season is upon us…

• SnB offense defense specialteams

RaiderDell,

I don’t think any of critiques are mean spirited. THese are observations of Raider fans. Do you think we all sit here wanting these guys to fail.

That’s what Priesttj and his gang think.

Chaz Shilens is any injury risk situation

Satele and Carlisle have been messing up

Tommy Kelly admitted in the paper yesterday that last year was a bad year and he was out of shape

JaDavis was on the Purple Drank and skipped meetings and was out of shape

DHB has not demonstrated that he is a serviceable, let alone, elite receiver at the NFL level after 12 starts and 5 preseason games

DMAC has missed time with injury and hasn’t put up the numbers.

Those are all facts and the Raiders have done little SO FAR to suggest much improvement (although J. Campbell & Hue Jackson is a clear upgrade)

Critiques are justified.

The offense looked stale last week and we all have a right to be concerned about that. Even if week 1

• Raider Dell

Rich

I read your comment regarding your home, and size. Pretty nice.

Love the Pleasanton area. I have very good friends in Castro Valley. We eat in Pleasanton quite a lot when were in town.

• 504 Raider

I disagree on DMac. I don’t see him as a Reggis Bush type of receiving back. I think he is more workhorse if you ask me. I think using him properly is 25-30 carries a game and 3 to 5 receptions. He’s a starter who could go the distance. Bush is a bullpen back.

• RaiderLen

504 Raider Says:
    August 17th, 2010 at 7:20 pm
    ======================================================
    504, Al Davis would kiss you on the lips for that observation.

DMAC needs to be healthy and on the field for 16 games this season, with an opportunity to put to rest the justified doubts.