Notes and quotes from Wednesday’s practice

By Steve Corkran
Wednesday, August 18th, 2010 at 9:31 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Kyle Boller’s magical mystery tour through Raiders training camp just keeps getting better and better.

He arrived at training camp as the No. 4 quarterback, well behind backup candidates Bruce Gradkowski and Charlie Frye, who combined for seven starts last season, and just hopeful of getting some positive plays on film.

Now, he is making steady progress toward earning a spot on Oakland’s 53-man roster through his impressive showing in practice and the Raiders first exhibition game, as well injuries to Gradkowski and Frye.

“He’s doing well,” Raiders coach Tom Cable said after Wednesday’s practice. “The game against Dallas speaks for itself, and he’ll get another opportunity this weekend to see if he can consistently do that.”

This weekend, as in Saturday night against the Chicago Bears in the second of four exhibition games.

Jason Campbell will start the game and give way to Boller at some point in the first half.

With Frye and Gradkowski not expected to play, Boller can count on extensive playing time once again. He made the most of it against the Cowboys.

“I’ve been in this business long enough to know that you’re a play away from being in there, so I’ve always taken the approach to prepare like a starter,” Boller said. “I watch the same amount of tape. You have to be ready when you’re opportunity comes.

“It seems as the years go on, more and more guys get hurt, unfortunately. That’s why you have to take advantage when opportunities present themselves.”

Boller also benefits from the year he spent with Raiders offensive coordinator Hue Jackson when they were with the Baltimore Ravens.

“It does help because there is a confidence for Kyle, and he understands because he’s been coached by that guy,” Cable said. “He understands what he’s looking for, what he’s asking for. That helps him being able to step in and have some confidence right from the beginning.”

– Cable said fourth-string quarterback Colt Brennan “probably” will play against the Bears. Brennan didn’t get an opportunity to play against the Cowboys in Oakland’s first exhibition game.

– Cable heaped high praise upon strong-side (“Sam) linebacker Kamerion Wimbley. In the process, he disparaged the likes of Ricky Brown and Sam Williams.

“The thing I am most excited about is Dallas ran three power plays in there and, for the first time since I have been around here, our ‘Sam’ backer stood up the fullback all three times. That’s what he brings. He understands what you’re asking him to do; plays it the way you’re asking.”

The Raiders traded for Wimbley during the offseason and gave up almost nothing to the Cleveland Browns for a first-round draft pick five years ago.

– Frye on Wednesday underwent a surgical procedure to repair damage to his right (throwing) wrist. Cable said he won’t know how long Frye is out for until he rejoins the team in the next few days.

– Running back Darren McFadden (hamstring) did not practice Wednesday and won’t play against the Chicago Bears on Saturday night, Cable said.

On the bright side, McFadden is making great progress toward a return to the practice field for the first time since Aug. 7.

“He is much, much improved,” Cable said, “and he is pretty close to being ready to go but, again, I am probably going to lean toward being more protective now.”

– Wide receiver Chaz Schilens (foot), right offensive tackle Langston Walker (rest) and cornerback Chris Johnson (hamstring) also missed practice.

Receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey dressed for practice and participated in some drills, though not at full capacity. He didn’t run any routes and spent most of his time watching his teammates from a distance.

Cable dismissed the suggestion that Heyward-Bey is nursing a sore hamstring. However, Heyward-Bey was sporting a sizable wrap that extended from below his left knee and somewhere up around the thigh region.

It seemed rather apparent in practice Monday that Heyward-Bey tweaked his hamstring. Yet, Cable says Heyward-Bey’s lack of activity the past two days owes more to “fatigue.”

– Jackson was at his animated best during several drills Wednesday. At one point, he ordered backup offensive lineman Khalif Barnes off the field for a false-start penalty.

“Get me another left tackle,” Jackson said. “We ain’t doing that no more. We can’t be jumping offside. You do, you’re out of there.”

– Based upon absolutely nothing, other than 15 years covering the Raiders and having a feel for how managing general partner Al Davis operates: Look for the Raiders to sign veteran wide receiver Torry Holt now that he is gone from the New England Patriots.

The Raiders need a veteran presence, several of their receivers have been in and out of the lineup because of nagging injuries and a team never can have enough proven playmakers.

Remember, Davis has a long history of signing receivers with comparable resumes to that of Holt – James Lofton, Andre Rison, Jerry Rice and Javon Walker come to mind.

– Speaking of Davis, he was at practice Wednesday for the sixth time since camp opened July 29. Hue Jackson broke from practice for about a 10-minute one-on-one with Davis.

It was unclear who was doing most of the talking. Davis spoke from a golf cart, while Jackson took a knee on the grass between the two fields.

– Rookie safety Stevie Brown intercepted yet another pass in what has become an all too common occurrence at camp.

Brown caught the carom off the hands of fullback Alex Daniels’ hands and the hands of at least two other players. Brown also intercepted a pass on the final play of the Cowboys game.

– Rookie cornerback Jeremy Ware worked with the first-team in the nickel package as part of Cable’s plan to get a look at the younger players against seasoned players.

– Linebacker Sam Williams (concussion) said he expects to be back at practice within the next few days.

“I’m still a little cloudy, but I’m getting there,” Williams said in reference to his head. He added that he hasn’t passed the required tests necessary for his return.

– Backup tight end Brandon Myers was unable to finish practice because of a pass that hit off the end of one of his fingers. Cable said Myers was sent for an X-ray. No word on the findings just yet.

– Observations from one-on-one drills between offensive and defensive linemen: rookie Jared Veldheer held off defensive end Matt Shaughnessy on back-to-back snaps.

Defensive end Trevor Scott abused right offensive tackle Erik Pears on back-to-back plays, one to the outside, one on the inside.

Defensive tackle William Joseph got the better of rookie guard Bruce Campbell on one play, but he got neutralized the second go round.

Left guard Robert Gallery stonewalled defensive tackle Richard Seymour on back-to-back plays.

Or, as Cable is fond of saying, that’s just another example of “iron sharpens iron.”

– Tight end Zach Miller was a one-man wrecking crew during passing drills, as usual.

He caught passes for touchdowns three times in a short span, one for 30 yards from Campbell, two others from Boller.

Safety Jerome Boyd, safety Stevie Brown and linebacker David Nixon were victimized, in order.

You get the sense that the only things that can prevent Miller from improving upon last season’s impressive stats are injuries and a steady diet of double teams (bracket coverage).

• Raider Dell

But I believe that McFadden can put up the following stats sharing carries with Bush:

820 yards rushing
    430 yards receiving
    7 rushing TDs
    3 receiving TDs

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Very nice Lakota.

• Nnamdi21

Yeah Corkran’s smokin pencil shavings again.

Tory Holt?!

Whats he gonna do assistant coach?

Jayzuz just get Rice or Brown outa retirement if you’re going to go that route.

Old an busted.

• Lakota

Nnamdi,

LMAO, I can tell from your response you know what I say is true and you are now lashing out like a small child. Hilarious!

We’ll see if you even show up around here after the November elections.

• priesttj

Mystic1

As much as I wuld like to seee a player n staff like Tory Holt I just don’t think he has much to offer at all on the field. I wanted him to come here as well to help the WR’s, I think he would’ve been worth his weight in gold last year. This year I’d prefer he were on staff as a coach.

• Nnamdi21

It’ll be interesting to see if our O can do anything against the Bears. Wanna see if Henderson can handle Peppers…

Hope Satle’s NOT starting. That guy gets our QBs killed. Never seen anyone with his back to the defensive line so much in my life.

• SouthDakotaRaider

820 yards rushing
    430 yards receiving
    7 rushing TDs
    3 receiving TDs

= = = = = = = = = ==

i think those stats are well within reach. especially if Hue uses a 2 RB set, which bush pounds it up the middle, while McFadden runs outside the tackles and is more a recieving back.

think Reggie Bush, only not a D bag

• JB

# priesttj Says:
    August 19th, 2010 at 1:49 pm

Mystic1

************************
    I’d settle for him buying a season ticket. LOL

• Nnamdi21

Hope our LB’s and safties can cover the Bears better than they did Dallas.

• priesttj

Lakota

I wasn’t too far off on T Scott, Lamar Houston looks like he’s everything I thought he would be. And just give DHB time son he aint gonna disappoint.

• ohioraider

If Al squints those beady old eyes of his he’ll notice this: Kyle Boller will be the new Jim Plunkett, not Jason Campbell.

• Lakota

priesttj Says:
    August 19th, 2010 at 1:59 pm
    Lakota

+++++++++

lol…cool your jets old man, don’t want you to have an aneurism. Let’s see what they do during the season before crowning their azzes after one preseason game(Scott and Houston). As to DHB, I still have hope for Hand of Stone!

Lakota & Dell:

Jason Campbell could lose 98 fantasy points this year due to sacks??

• Lakota

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 19th, 2010 at 2:05 pm
    Lakota & Dell:

Jason Campbell could lose 98 fantasy points this year due to sacks??
    _____________

Depends, are Satele, Cooper and Barnes/Walker starting?

• Raider Dell

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 19th, 2010 at 2:05 pm
    Lakota & Dell:

Jason Campbell could lose 98 fantasy points this year due to sacks??

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Easy solution to the problem. DON’T select Campbell as a QB in your FFL.

• Raider Dell

I looked up, which Raider has the most fantasy league points over the last four years.
    Guesses.

6. Schilens
    7. Murphy
    8. Raiders DST
    9. Janikowski
    10. Higgins

after that? best available

good luck gents. you’re going down!

• Raider Dell

Lakota Says:
    August 19th, 2010 at 2:15 pm
    Has to be Jano.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

You are correct, lakota. The raiders defense is number two.

• Lakota

P. Harvin collapses at practice because of a migraine headache?

Someone needs to tell that guy to drink more water if he is going to smoke so much pot.

• Raider Dell

6. Schilens
    7. Murphy
    8. Raiders DST
    9. Janikowski
    10. Higgins

after that? best available

good luck gents. you’re going down!

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Where is Nick Miller, I don’t see him on your list.

Where is Nick Miller, I don’t see him on your list.

***

J Wiggle grabbed him in Round 2. no luck boss

• Lakota

TW,

What is going to change in the next 10 weeks? You think a last second push for Cap and Tax will make the elections go better for your party?

LMAO

• Lakota

Nice to see you back TW…where were you?

I always think of you when I flip past that low rated Countdown show.

What was that one demographic they dominated again?

• DKnight007

Getting McClain and Houston 1-2 is what I was always hoping for during the draft!

• http://Raiders.com RaiderTW

I always think of you when I flip past that low rated Countdown show.
    What was that one demographic they dominated again?
    —————-
    The sane!

• http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae336/r8eray/ad/family08016.jpg r8eray

rr, good luck on your fantasy football team….you’ll need it!
    hope you were just pulling or legs on that!

N21 asked for politix … he got it

LOL!

so Dell, how is your summer coming along ???

• DKnight007

Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld, Rove and Libby, should all be in JAIL right now!

ray: you guys will find out on FF draft day :)

• Raider Dell

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 19th, 2010 at 2:27 pm
    N21 asked for politix … he got it

LOL!

so Dell, how is your summer coming along ???

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Doing well. Trying to develop good habits.

Trying to develop good habits

***

awesome man. good 4 you

how’s the fam?

• Raider Dell

RRS

We are off tomorrow to move my son in his dorm room. I’ll miss him and the fantastic young girls who come by to swim.

Family doing well.

• http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae336/r8eray/ad/family08016.jpg r8eray

rr, if you win the fantasy league its because we’re (raiders) going to the super bowl! so…I hope you win!

• Lakota

RaiderTW Says:
    August 19th, 2010 at 2:26 pm
    I always think of you when I flip past that low rated Countdown show.
    What was that one demographic they dominated again?
    —————-
    The sane!
    _________________

No, I think it was 15-21 year old hermaphrodites living in the state of Colorado.

• priesttj

T Scott and Houston can flat out play. T Scott has gotten a lot bigger and stronger. This front7 is loaded don’t forget Wimbley, McClain and Grove.

I think they are the difference in this years team it’s as good a front7 as I can remember.

• Raider Dell

RRs

You get to head home here in a few. Will you watch any football tonight?

Family doing well.

***

glad to hear it Dell, good luck to your son in college

you paying for it, pops?

• Lakota

So Priesttj,

What do you think about those numbers for McFadden I posted earlier?

***

ME TOO :P

Go Raiders!

• Raider Dell

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 19th, 2010 at 2:39 pm
    Family doing well.

***

glad to hear it Dell, good luck to your son in college

you paying for it, pops?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    Yes, and it kills me to write that check.

Guess what, when he’s received his four year degree, he off to Law school, more check wiriting in my future.

watch any football tonight?

***

Dell: probably not brother

we pulled the plug on Dish Network, so whatever games I watch are on Sunday mornings or nights from now on – or perhaps online (Raiders only)

trying to cut down expenses with the little boy due in a few months. house refi may be in order

could drop my interest rate by 1.5 percent, get some cash to pay off the Chevy

***

holy smokes!

you’re gonna be working until you’re 70 just trying to pay off his school loans :(

must be a smart/driven kid to pursue a law degree …

way to go Dell. just don’t let him drop it all over some floozie in a short skirt

• Lakota

Dell,

Would you adopt me and then pay off my school loans please?

• GaterRaider

“Balance and sanity shall be restored in 2010.”

that will never happen in this country bro, or any other country for that matter

• Lakota

new post

• Raider Dell

you’re gonna be working until you’re 70 just trying to pay off his school loans

must be a smart/driven kid to pursue a law degree …

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Working untill 70, no way.
    My retirement is looking for the best hideaway spot, where I can rest and relax.

Smart/driven to pursue Law, yikes.

Floozie’s are hear when his friends show up, (with gal friends) of friends has experience with that species.

• Pingback: Football Fan Site » Will Oakland sign a veteran receiver?

• eper209

Anyway we pry Mangold from the Jets at Center? Gaither would be nice also, just dreamimg.

• HairyBush

Who are we giving up to get Patrick Crayton?