Cable Q&A

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Monday, August 23rd, 2010 at 12:52 pm in Oakland Raiders.

A transcription of Tom Cable’s conference call Monday with Bay Area reporters:

Q: What stood out from game film?

Cable: The long run concerned me obviously. We got cut out of the gap and didn’t play it very well from the back side. That concerned me in that it was really something that could have been prevented. We just didn’t play it very good. I felt like defensively we played team defense for about two-thirds of the game. But about a third of the time just breakdowns here and there. We had a couple of missed assignments, guys not running to the ball, guys came out of coverage on the one touchdown we gave up we took our eyes off the man in man coverage. Things like that. fortunately they’re all things we can definitely fix. I’m excited about that. I’d rather it just happen.

Next thing probably the offense. Nice start in terms of first drive obviously. But I think there was a lot more out there for us running the football. We didn’t execute that part of it very well. We need to clean some things up up front.

Q: How did the kick returners look?

Cable: I’m excited because I think we definitely have upgraded the people there in terms of some depth and all that. We missed a great opportunity twice on the kickoff return for some big returns. Even just to start the game missed a block that really would have put the returner one on one with the kicker. Having seen that on film a little disappointed in that. Again that is something that is very fixable. So I’m excited to go back to practice tomorrow and get to work on those kinds of things because we’re so close.

Q: How is Satele?

Cable: We probably won’t know more until this afternoon some time. I know they will do an X-ray today and look at it in depth. But we’ll know more this afternoon.

Q: Will most other guys who missed game be back at practice Tuesday?

Cable: Most of them. The only guy who probably won’t get back looks to be Chaz Schilens. He actually is seeing a specialist for a knee issue and he may need a procedure, a scope procedure done. We’ll find that out as well this afternoon. But I think we’re getting a lot of those guys back like McFadden, Heyward-Bey, I don’t have the list in front of me right now but the majority of those guys will be back to work tomorrow.

Q: How concerning is another injury to Chaz?

Cable: I’m very concerned. It’s been a tough road for him. We get through the foot thing now and something else has kind of reared up on us. We’ll take care of it and get him back as soon as we can.

Q: Was there something that happened?

Cable: It sounds like something that was overcompensation for the foot to be honest with you.

Q: Is this a couple of week thing and could be back by opener?

Cable: That’s the hope. That’s the hope.

Q: Given way rest of receivers have played does that calm your nerves at all if you have to play without Chaz?

Cable: I think the group is developing, I certainly do. It was nice to see Jacoby Ford being able to contribute the other night. He did some nice things against a couple of tough coverage looks and had discipline to run the routes right and run them at their depth and all that and then caught the football. I’m encouraged by that group. Hopefully we don’t lose Chaz for any time here. But if it does happen I do think we’re developing that group.

Q: What has been key to screen game and can it be bigger part of offense this season?

Cable: It’s always been a part of the offense. To me, we’re doing a decent job right now of executing it. That’s exciting. We got some linemen who can run. They’re getting out and getting people on the ground. The backs are making nice cuts off it and the timing by the quarterback has been good. I’m very encouraged by it. We just seem to be doing a better job of it this year thus far.

Q: Has Wimbley exceeded expectations?

Cable: I think he is who we thought he was. He played outside linebacker at Cleveland. That’s what he’s been known for. He’s done a fine job with it here. Our plan all along as we talked about was to use him on third down in terms of rushing the passer. He showed up the other night. That’s exciting for our team. He’s exactly what we thought. He’d be a guy who could rush the passer in passing situations and play the Sam linebacker on the other downs.

Q: As nice as sacks were, how about the coverage on Olsen down the sideline?

Cable: Absolutely. I think that play from a coaching standpoint was as big if not bigger than the sacks. That was something we were waiting to see and Olsen is a quality, quality player. It shows Kam has the ability to do those things. It certainly brings something to our defense.

Q: What makes him such a good pass rusher?

Cable: He has great speed off the edge. He’s a dynamic rusher in terms of what he’s doing with his hands and his pass-rushing moves. He works on it diligently. To me, I think if you look back at the history of him even coming out or Florida State, that’s always been his one real niche is the fact that he could get to the quarterback. I just think it’s a combination of his speed, athleticism with a guy who understands what he’s doing in terms of the technique of rushing the passer.

Q: Did Browns call you to shop him or did you call them?

Cable: I don’t even remember. I don’t know.

Q: Were you surprised guy been around four years and had some success was available like that?

Cable: Honestly I’m just happy we got him. I’m not going around it. It just seems so long ago. I don’t remember all that. I’m glad we got him. I’m glad that they didn’t want him if that’s the case and he’s ours. I’ll leave it at that.

Q: How would you assess fullbacks?

Cable: We’re getting some nice play out of Marcel Reece. He’s improving definitely. Even if you take away the screen play to him he made a nice run on. I just like where he’s going as a blocker. He’s becoming more and more physical with each game. He certainly understands now what we’re asking him to do. He’s been good in pass protection. I think he’s improving and that’s good to see. Manase Tonga, he has shown some things being physical and assert himself that way and caught the ball well the other night. It was good to get Luke Lawton back in the mix. He’d been out for quite some time. I feel like there’s good competition there.

Q: Has Moline been moved to RB?

Cable: No. We’re just trying to keep some fresh guys in the game. Losing Darren, losing that set of legs. Just probably being a little more cautious or smart with the situation rather than running the rest of them in the ground.

Q: What have you seen out of McClain?

Cable: I’ve seen great awareness. I’ve seen good speed to the ball. I’ve seen excellent pass defense. I’ve seen a guy who is around the ball in the run game. Probably he would be the first to tell you, he needs to pull the trigger a little bit more. But his recognition at the speed of it and getting to the ball has been excellent. The thing that I’m most pleased about is he’s done a nice job of getting us liked up and adjusting and then the pass defense. He’s been more than we thought.

Q: What do you mean by pull the trigger?

Cable: There are some times for him to blow it up or make a big play in there sometimes. He’s making the play but I think there’s a little bit more energy that can be brought to it.

• DirtyRaccoon

Akbar_Gbaja Raider Nation! Its only preseason, but dont forget about my prediction of them winnin the AFC West. Rally the nation & tell them 2 follow me
    20 minutes ago via Twitter for iPhone

• http://atm Raider O

Thank you. I have a lot of respect for you too.

• armond

morris just sucks. id rather have v in at c if samson cant go. priest i heard u talkin sh!t about dmc on radio 2day. dude is goin to make fools out of all of u this year just watch. keep defendin dhb but he hasnt shown anything like dmc. chaz injury bothers me but it is what it is. he may be ready for the opener or by week 4. givin up on him is stupid cuz he doesnt cost u much and there is not a top tier wr available to replace him. lets just be patient. i swear if there wasnt somethin to complain about in here this blog would have 10 posters.

• http://atm Raider O

You can help someone who doesn’t want help!
    JR wanted to get high, and now he has to pay the price.

• DirtyRaccoon

The kitchen got hot, and MR checked out.

WOW,

SURPRISING!!!

• http://atm Raider O

You Can’t* help ….

• http://atm Raider O

I like this defense a lot, and I think it can help carry our team to have a good season. We are not going to do a lot (POs, or win the AFC west) due to our OL, and lack of exp at the WR position. IMHO
    I love the trade for Wimbley.
    4 Sacks in 2 Qs!!

• http://atm Raider O

I like what I see from Mitchell, Matt S, Houston, Scott, Branch, McClain, and Walter McFadden. We have a great mix of Vets and young guys.

Top 10 Defense!

• http://atm Raider O

Vets like Nnamdi, Seymour, and Henderson (PBers) can be great mentors to the young guys, and help them develop.

• http://atm Raider O

Have a great night Gents.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

DirtyRaccoon Says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Did your mothe ever tell you that you have an excuse for everything?

…………….

You guys are the ones making all of the excuses for Al. There’s plenty more he could have done for Russell, but for some reason, he didn’t. And they were simple things. But you guys have a million excuses as to why he just couldn’t do it.

• priesttj

Armond

Man I’m just keeping it real, DMC needs to step the hell up…….period

We need him if we’re really going to try to win this division. He’s had 2 years this is his 3rd and we cannot afford a repeat performance from him. This is DHB’s 2nd season and he’s plaing a much more difficult position to master. He was healthy most of last year in which I constantly blasted him for his route running. He responded with the best offseason of anyone. You have to give the kid credit for that. Now comes the payoff.

But DMC is hurt AGAIN and with an injury that could plague him all year long. It’s frustrating he started last season injured, we need him to make a significant contribution this year in order to take the next step. If that’s blasting him then it is what it is. He needs to get it done

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

Raider O Says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 10:26 pm

I agree Raccoon. I had an instructor I didn’t respect I’m the fall semester, but I never disrespected the instructors.

……………..

How could you not disrespect someone when you didn’t respect them? What you’re saying is that you pretended to respect them, and either they were too stupid to notice, or they noticed and dealt with you one way or another.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

Raider O Says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 10:36 pm

You can help someone who doesn’t want help!

…………….

Yes you can.

Look at all of the people throughout history who refused help while someone insisted on helping them anyway, and they later thanked that person for not giving up on them? Al could have been that person, but he failed to do it. But go ahead and keep offering excuses as to why he didn’t. He could have used a high percentage passing offense, could have kept Kiffin, which would have been the best thing. could have hired a team of people to make sure Russell never so much as drank a beer away from team headquarters. Al just didn’t care enough.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

# DirtyRaccoon Says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 10:37 pm

The kitchen got hot, and MR checked out.

WOW,

SURPRISING!!!

……………………..

Just grabbed something to eat, and a soda. Watched the news for a minute. It’s too hard to look at a computer all day. I try to respond to every single comment directed at me. At least the ones that are coherent and make sense. You had a mess up there that I just couldn’t sort out, and I didn’t respond to it. But if your comment is legible, and it isn’t insult ridden, I’m going to respond to it.

• hendu

Raider O,got to crash,you take care! You as well,451,B Raiders!!!!!!!!! out!

• DirtyRaccoon

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 10:53 pm
    DirtyRaccoon Says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Did your mothe ever tell you that you have an excuse for everything?

…………….

***********************

oK, i GUESS THAT ANSWERS IT ALL.

• DirtyRaccoon

The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 11:00 pm
    # DirtyRaccoon Says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 10:37 pm

The kitchen got hot, and MR checked out.

WOW,

SURPRISING!!!

……………………..

******************

EXCUSE # 1,999

Still waiting. Dude, I know you can read.

MR, it is painfully obvious you do not know much about the things you are writing about on this blog post.

My 14 year old used to sometimes try and BS his way through a conversation about things he knew nothing about. So I tought him all I could about thoes subjects/situations, now he speaks about them with much confidence/assurance. BUT that was when he was 10 years old.

• DirtyRaccoon

Still waiting.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

Waiting for what?

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

Al could have done a lot more to help Russell, and he didn’t. Let me know if you want me to repeat my examples.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

# DirtyRaccoon Says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 11:16 pm

oK, i GUESS THAT ANSWERS IT ALL.

………………….

I don’t have an answer to all of your questions. I never said I knew everything. All I said is that Al Davis could have done more to help Russell, and he could have. I gave several examples as to how he could have done this. Some of your questions were simply confusing and seemed off topic to me. I think your volley of questions is somehow designed to throw me off my train of thought, and it’s not going to happen. Davis could have done more to help Russell. That’s a fact.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

Davis could have done more to help Russell, Racoon.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

Racoon, Davis could have done more to help Russell.

He could have simplified the offense, used a higher percentage passing offense, and it really would have helped if Al kept Kiffin, because Kiffin ran a much more organized offense than Cable used for Russell.

Al also could have done a lot more to help Russell in his personal life. A lot more. Could have had a team of people watch Russell, to make sure he didn’t use drugs. Could have hired private investigators. He’s the owner. It’s his way or the highway. Nobody’s going to stop him from spying on Russell. You give freedom to the players that can handle. If they can’t, you blanket them. Especially when they’re as high priced of a draft pick as Russell was. Davis could have done a lot more, but he failed to.

• http://raidersfans.net Just Win

Post #474 is a gag post right? I mean the guy who posted that isn’t serious is he?

• ArmChair GM

# The Real MaddenRaider Says:
    August 23rd, 2010 at 11:49 pm

______________________________________________________

It’s official. He’s gone completely off the deep end. Stick a fork in him. He’s done.

• http://aldavissucks.blogspot.com/ The Real MaddenRaider

Davis couldn’t have used a simpler offense for Russell?

He couldn’t have tried harder to keep Russell way from drugs?

• http://www.tube8.com NoLuv4Hoes

Pito

• http://www.wix.com/GGEden/ggeden GG

Give it up RMR, you’ve lost this one easily, just digging a deeper grave.

• raidertbone

Hey Nation:
    Let’s all agree that the Raiders finally did what they could do – and needed to do – to help JaDrankus: they helped his sorry ass out the door! Now, we are finally putting some solidifying marks on the organization, there is hope, there is optimism (hell, there’s a defense that can stop the run, mostly, and put pressure on the quarterback, regularly). I like where we’re going — put the trash in the rearview, and fire up the Harley! I think it’s going to be a great ride!

• fat kidd

Oregon State Lineman Tased, Arrested While Naked and Trespassing
    8/23/2010 11:30 PM ET By Matt Snyder
    College Sports Editor
    Tyler Patrick Thomas has been dismissed from the Oregon State football team following a bizarre arrest.

According to the Corvallis Gazette-Times, a 32-year-old woman called the local police in Corvallis at 4:51 a.m. Sunday and reported that a naked man was in the upstairs office of her home. And this is actually where things got interesting.

When police arrived, Thomas — who had reportedly been drinking — got into a football three-point stance facing the police. This is when a player gets down with two feet and one hand on the ground, facing an opponent, as a way to launch into the opposition. And Thomas reportedly did just that, toward the police. At this point, they were forced to tase him and take him under arrest.

The 19-year-old now-former Oregon State offensive lineman has been charged with first-degree criminal trespass, second-degree criminal mischief and resisting arrest. This was Thomas’ second alcohol-related offense, as he had been cited for possession as a minor last spring.

——————————————————————————–

More Oregon State: Ranked 19th by FanHouse | Big Game Sept. 4

——————————————————————————–

The Oregonian reports that Thomas’ brother, Connor Thomas, is committed to play for Mike Riley’s OSU Beavers next fall. Coach Riley told the paper that this incident does nothing to change that fact.

“I told Tyler, this has nothing to do with your brother,” said Riley.

• raidertbone

No worries for young Mr. Thomas – the Bengals will pick him up!

• hwnrdr

Good Morning Nation!!!
    Wow….How long did MR argue his point(less) last night? Geez…give it up!

• raidertbone

Hwnrdr:
    Good Morning! MR and Ricky finally went out to dinner together, so they could talk all night about Sizzurp, their boy “the victim” and what life would be like if they could help Michael Crabtree design his clothes!

• raidertbone

Knowing our luck, Javon will hook up with Favre and have an All-Pro year. Walker and Randy Moss will face each other in the Super Bowl, which means ONE of them will win a title (I’d pull for Minnesota, just to spite Derrick Burgess!) Anyway, I hope the Vikings enjoy life with a diva quarterback and a receiver whose best work the past few years has been running wind sprints!

• hwnrdr

Haha…finally! MR was at it from early afternoon yesterday! Geez

• raidertbone

It’s really too bad that we have to waste so much energy on yesterday’s garbage!

• raidertbone

Is that Oregon kid any relation to Bill Roid-anowski?!

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

GOOD MORNING SPORT’S FAN’S,HWNRDR,TBONE.4GET ABOUT RUSSELL,HE IS GONE.SO IS KIFFIN.SHOULD B A FUN GAME 2 WATCH SATURDAY NIGHT,4 A PRE-SEASON GAME I MEAN..

• hwnrdr

I know, and I thought I had made that point last night that Russell and Kiff were gone…lets move on! Oh well…

• raidertbone

The Kiff and Drank people will still be lurking out there, unfortunately. Don’t expect to see much past the middle of the first quarter this Saturday. These two teams play again in a few weeks, so no one (I don’t expect) will be showing very many new wrinkles. I just hope we can produce a few turnovers, some quarterback sacks and some good, tough run defense. I also hope that DHB gets a couple of catches and that D-Mac gets a couple of chances to run in open space. I think we’re going to have to start thinking about life “beyond Chaz” … and enough with the false start penalties!

• DIRT-LOT FOOTBALL

SOMETHING ABOUT THE L.T. POSITION AND FALS STARTS.BARRY SIMS WAS THE UNDISPUTED WORLD CHAMPION AT MOVING B4 THE SNAP.MUST B IN THE GATORAID OR SOMETHING….

• fat kidd

Notes: Center Samson Satele underwent X-rays on the ankle he injured against the Chicago Bears on Saturday, Cable said. The results won’t be known until today. Satele missed the rest of the game, and he was replaced by Chris Morris. … The Raiders resume practice in Napa today, with one session. They will practice there through Thursday before breaking camp. They will shift operations to their year-round facility in Alameda on Friday and kick off practicing there Monday. … The Raider Nation Celebration is Friday at Frank Ogawa Plaza in Oakland from 4-6 p.m. There is no charge for admittance

• http://www.safc.com/page/StadiumofLightDetail/0,,10281~1706060,00.html neilb

Good morning all.

• http://www.safc.com/page/StadiumofLightDetail/0,,10281~1706060,00.html neilb

WTF Chaz…..did you break a mirror or kill a black cat?

• fat kidd

Back to Football: The Raider Nation Celebration is set for Friday, August 27 from 4– 6:00 p.m. at Frank Ogawa Plaza in downtown Oakland. Frank Ogawa Plaza is located at 14th and Broadway and is near City Hall.

This family-friendly event will feature current Raiders players and coaches, Raider Legends and the Raiderettes as well as chances to win exciting prizes.

This FREE event features select autograph and photo opportunities with the Raiderettes and Raider Legends, the Super Bowl Trophies on display and live interviews with Legends and current players.

• Stabler76

Anybody catch Vince Young and the Titans last night on TV?

By the time I got there, they were on the bench.

• Pingback: Jerry McD: Cable Q&A - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!

• http://www.safc.com/page/StadiumofLightDetail/0,,10281~1706060,00.html neilb

Does anyone on this site go to the Celebration day? Any good? Seen it advertised for a few years now.

• Lakota

neilb Says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 7:18 am
    WTF Chaz…..did you break a mirror or kill a black cat?
    ____________

I heard he broke his rabbit’s foot….