Schilens scoped; DHB returns

A few preliminary notes following Raiders’ practice as relayed by beat writer Steve Corkran:

– Wide receiver Chaz Schilens underwent arthroscopic knee surgery. Coach Tom Cable was not sure how long he would be out.

– Wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey returned to practice and looked the better for sitting out four practices with “fatigue,” making a few plays after dropping off in the sessions that preceded his absence. Running back Darren McFadden was also back on the field.

– Alex Daniels is once again a defensive lineman. He was back to wearing No. 71, instead of 39, and Cable said after practice things hadn’t progressed as the staff had hoped.

– Right tackle Langston Walker (lower back) and defensive tackle Richard Seymour (triceps) didn’t practice, nor did center Samson Satele. Cable said Satele’s ankle injury, sustained early in the Bears game, did not look serious.

– Quarterback Bruce Gradkowski will see considerable action in the last two preseason games, although Cable would not commit as to whether he would go in as No. 2 or No. 3.

More to come later . . .

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• SnB offense defense specialteams

J Wiggle,

Imagine if we stood pat with the QB situation in the offseason

Whew!

• Just Fire Baby

No worries, you can’t hold a good QB down.

The progression begins.

• Pingback: Schilens scoped; DHB returns - Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board - Where the Raider Nation lives!

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Nonsense!

Al Davis has made some mistakes, and admitted as much. Bad 7 year run, but it’s over and we are back to being competitive.

That is what you want to see, right?

Do you give Al Davis credit for any of the apparent turn around?
    ———————————-
    The ole “Al Davis has made some mistakes” acknowledgement from the Davis faithful. No really, he made mistakes?

What mistakes has he admitted?

• Just Fire Baby

J,

You just need to stay focused on week 1 in the FFL.

The line has already been set, based upon ownership.

• Just Fire Baby

What mistakes has he admitted?

*************************************

Actions speak louder than words, my friend.

Ditching Jamarcus and than suing him, admits he made a mistake and he is doing whatever he can to try to even the score.

• 504 Raider

Schilens scoped; DHB returns – Oakland Raiders Forum | Message Board – Where the Raider Nation lives! Says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 6:33 pm
    [...] [...]

————————————————————————————————————–

Always wanted to know who posts the Headlines like this?

• http://www.nataliegulbis.com Richochet

Jhill..heading to Beeb’s at Los Positas for a bucket of balls, $2.00 beer, and Beeb’s spicy wings…grab your hybrid, beers on me.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Like I said before…the saddest person in the room when JaDavis was released was not JaDavis…it was Gradkowski.

I bet Gradkowski was in Arizona trying to get JaDavis in shape.

Probably told JaDavis to take the paycut……

LOL

• 504 Raider

Fellas, we might be back in the picture for Haynesworth. That thing is getting ugly over there. I see a Seymour-like last minute deal coming.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

504 Raider Says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 6:38 pm
    ======================================================
    I hope not.

• mcskinnnylegs

RaiderDogg Says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 6:14 pm
    mcskinnnylegs Says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 6:08 pm
    RaiderDogg Says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 6:02 pm
    Problem with Vincent Jackson is that he wants a 5 year deal worth $$$$$$

when has that ever been a problem for the raiders?”

Vincent also has character issues including a few dui’s and an impending suspension to start the season.

guy catches a d.u.i now he’ got carachter issues.im guessing you havent joined the dui club yet.lol

• 504 Raider

I’d rather see a T. Howard for P Crayton deal.

• Just Fire Baby

Haynesworth = most overpaid player in the league.

I would trade for him, if Washington will pick up part of his salary.

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

If you Davis’s want to prematurely dish out credit to anyone for this year’s turnaround, it should be the guy who put up that Anti-Davis Billboard.

I think that got the folks attention over there on Harbor Bay Pkway, let them know the status quo was unacceptable. That and the 7 blackouts, of course.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Haynesworth has demonstrated a terrible attitude. Horrendous.

In the Raiders players first organization…Haynesworth won’t work

• Just Fire Baby

JFB = completely wasted in El Paso, Texas

I am remote viewing JLH.

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Thomas Howard has no trade value. He’s another big blazin bust

• buckeyeraider

Vegas,
    Wonderin where you’ve been. Figured you’d want to gloat over your Giants jumping Volquez early and often.
    Lil missy was home last night, so I watched True Blood with her. Man, that show is getting wierd.

Turned on the game before bed and it was already 5 to zip. Didn’t bother watching anymore. Went to bed.

Reds have good young pitcher Travis Wood going tonight. Gonna be a different story…I hope.

Can’t complain though. Those long west coast trips have been the death of many a good Reds teams. So far, they’re 5-2.

• Plunketthead

#5 purp

You should have bought a Cable jersey.
    Cant go wrong there.

• Just Fire Baby

Buckeye,

You guys have a little more room to play with.

Giants have to win the series or else they are seriously behind the eightball.

Volquez got hammered everytime he went with the curve. That thing was as flat as possible.

That Wood kid is good, but young. Guess you guys are rolling with the young arms. One has to become Jose Rijo, lol.

• PurpleDrank81

Plunketthead….

I was thinkin more like a Randy Hanson throwback

• 504 Raider

SnB offense defense specialteams Says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 6:44 pm
    Thomas Howard has no trade value. He’s another big blazin bust

————————————————————————————————————–

Crayton in the same boat if you ask me. Even swap I say.

• PurpleDrank81

Crayton is good for roughly 35-45 catches a year and 6tds

• Just Fire Baby

I’d take Crayton for Howard.

Crap, I would even throw in a 6th rounder to sweeten the deal.

• mcskinnnylegs

does j.j. have a history of trading payers with a.d?
    could be wong but i dont thnk they do

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Folks,

Why would Dallas get rid of a receiver that does have some value for a linebacker with NO value.

Howard is part of the old Al Davis system.. all speed and finesse….getting smashed week after week.

Another glorified safety if you will.

No one is going to take this guy. He’s a bust.

Crayton….going to have to give up a 3rd or 4th. Roy Williams is going to get that axe

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Raiders and Raider fans tend to OVERRATE the value on the roster. Howard has no value folks.

• mcskinnnylegs

i think being fiend 1 would hate to have another go to his new team aND SHINE WICH IS WHY I DONT THINK THEY DEAL WITH EACH OTHER

• SnB offense defense specialteams

Howard…Omaha bound

• J Wiggle

grab your hybrid, beers on me.

——————————————————-

That’s a long drive from the 909, lol!

• PurpleDrank81

I dont think JJ and AD have a history either when it comes to trading.

• PurpleDrank81

We do tend to overvalue our players…But You gotta admit Condo is superman lol

• priesttj

Lakota

John Madden was a very good coach and became agreat one as he held the post. I would not put him in the class of a Bill Walsh or Don Shula. He was working with grat players and should’ve garnered at least 3-4 SB trophies. Some of it was his fault because he ran an average offense that didn’t always attack opponents weaknesses, they won because they had superior talent.

I often wished we had someone who was much more imaginative offensively we would’ve been th most dominant team in history. We also went too many years in his tenure with very average HB’s after Clem Daniels and Charlie Smith got old. Van Eghan and dawing a blank_____ were very average backs. When Flores came along we got Kenny King then Marcus Allen.

Madden had Kenny Stabler who played behind the best Oline in history IMO that’s why we won. Before that Lamonica had a wealth of talent but Lamonica wasn’t what people would consider a great QB he threw a ton of int’s but made up for with his arm and Warren Wells’ speed.

Incidently this team we have right now talent wise has as much talent as some of those great teams but it’s extremely young. It’s only question mark is the Oline if they could pull that together IMO this team could just about do whatever they wanted. DHB has Warren Wells type talent. Jason Campbell is hands down a better QB than Lamonica maybe better than Gannon.

• mcskinnnylegs

WHY ALL THE HATE ON HOWARD HE CAN BE A GREAT SITUATIONAL PLAYER WICH SEVERAL OTHER TEAMS HAVE AT LB.THE GUY DID HAVE LIKE6 PICKS A COUPLE YEARS AGO

• J Wiggle

I’m trying to figure out why we would want Patrick Crayton????

DHB isn’t going anywhere anytime soon folks. Murphy, JLH, and Ford would all play in front of any scrub WR we bring in now. And yes a WR that is available now would be that scrub I’m talking about. Who gets rid of productive players at this time of year?

• Just Fire Baby

Howard got toasted by a 3rd string TE in the Bears game for 25 yards.

I don’t know if he does anything well; besides dancing after a tackle 6 yards down the field. We will not miss him.

• buckeyeraider

Vegas,
    I’m slowly but surely coming around to your side re T Howard. In my case, it’s not so much a knock on Howard. I still think he has value as coverage LB. It’s just that I don’t know who I’d want to see waived to keep him.

I’ve been impressed with Goethel so far. TSN draft guide said some coaching staff would fall in love with his intangibles, but he was too limited athletically to succeed in the pros. So far, I think he looks like a better athlete than advertised.

I want them to keep Q. Groves. I think he is part of the wave of pass rushers Marshall is going to send after QB’s this year.

Like I said earlier, the coverage units look much improved with these youngsters flyin down the field and thumpin people.

I’m not sure where Howard fits in anymore.

• Just Fire Baby

Wimbley and McClain look fine in coverage so far.

Howard does not represent much of an increase in productivity int hat regards, and I cringe everytime I think of Howard trying to stop a 3rd and 9 draw.

• J Wiggle

Agreed JFB!

I don’t miss those ridiculous celebrations from our former LBs.

• J Wiggle

VittorioTafur @jaywiggle14 Cable said he hasn’t decided between Morris and Veldheer at center
    about 1 hour ago

• J Wiggle

Get ready for the Veldheer at C show!

• Just Fire Baby

I am ready to see Veldheer at C at least in the preseason with the 1′s.

Doubt we start him week 1, but would not be suprised if he subs in at halftime week 2, and who knows, maybe he takes the job and runs with it.

Still would prefer Satele to get healthy.

• priesttj

SnB

Some of the stuff you say completely stumps me how is T Howard a bust when he had 3 very good years including one great one. Howard is still and outstanding LB in a lot of systems we just had too many problems stopping the run and the way we use our LB’s in a 4/3 overexposes his weakness. He’s just not strong at the POA. In a 3/4 system he’d be awesome. He even still can be a very good WSLB in a 4/3 we just happen to have a better ne who siuts what we want to do. But if T Scott goes down T Howard would be a great replacement now that we have a real MLB.

• Just Fire Baby

Well I am about to bang out an hour of drunken Rosetta Stone and call it a night.

Adios!!

• buckeyeraider

G’night Vegas.

• PurpleDrank81

Both centers are going to have a tough time next week against a pretty good d-line…Its a great test for Veldheer

• priesttj

Howard has no value you must be drunk!!

• PurpleDrank81

Howard has as much value as RMR

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Priesttj Says:
    August 24th, 2010 at 7:00 pm

DHB has Warren Wells type talent.
    ——————————————
    OMG, I thought you said Jerry Rice last year? lol.