A few post-practice notes as relayed by beat writer Steve Corkran:
– Jared Veldheer worked with the first team at center and will start against the 49ers, essentially auditioning for the starting job with Samson Satele out with an ankle injury.
Good news for Veldheer _ with 49ers nose guard Aubrayo Franklin deciding not to immediately sign his franchise tender, the opposition will be the less imposing Ricky Jean-Francois.
– Coach Tom Cable said he’d have a better idea by next week of Chaz Schilens might be available for the season opener in Tennessee on Sept. 12.
– Cable said this year’s roster cut will be the most difficult since he arrived in 2007.
– Cornerback Chris Johnson, defensive end Alex Daniels, defensive end Jay Richardson, Schilens and Satele did not practice.
Players who returned included right tackle Langston Walker and defensive tackle Richard Seymour.
It’s conceivable Seymour, as well as Darren McFadden and Johnson, could all be held out of the 49ers game.
– Quarterback Bruce Gradkowski got some of his most extensive work in training camp, closing it out with a 40-yard post strike to Todd Watkins, who made a diving catch for a touchdown. Gradkowski ran the length of the field for a chest bump with Watkins after the play.
More to come later . . .