Training camp over . . . Jackson speaks

The Raiders completed their final practice in Napa Thursday morning.

A few highlights relayed by beat writer Steve Corkran, with more news and notes to follow later:

– Offensive coordinator Hue Jackson gave a 13-minute interview for the first time since being hired Jan. 26, complimenting Raiders owner Al Davis and saying,“We’re trying to build a bully here.”

– No. 2 quarterback is officially up for grabs between Bruce Gradkowski and Kyle Boller, coach Tom Cable said. The coach conceded Gradkowski would have been considered the favorite coming into camp. However, Gradkowski’s missed time while recovering from a torn pectoral muscle and then a groin injury, combined with Boller’s “outstanding” play, has evened up the competition with two preseason games to go.

– Cable said starters would play the first half and then open the third quarter against San Francisco before leaving the game.

– Players ruled out of the 49ers game included cornerback Chris Johnson, defensive end Daniels, center Samson Satele, defensive end end Jay Richardson. Darren McFadden will play, Cable said.

More to come . . .

Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer

• Thec07

with the talent level on the team, this will be one of the toughest cuts we have had in a while….
    Good problems to have…

I would seriously consider placing Chaz on I.R. or the PUP list to sign TJ Housh (if he gets cut)

• 30 year raider

# BART Bridge Blues Says:
    August 26th, 2010 at 11:09 am

intercepting a pass is NEVER easy, no matter how easy these guys make it look. Anybody who in consecutive games can get himself in a position to catch a pass not thrown at him, secure the ball in his hands without bobbling, then quickly get upfield deserves a roster spot on this team in my opinion.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@2

thank you bart, i was wondering if i was the only one feeling this guy… i wonder if he slipped so low in d draft cuz of the fact he switched to LB..

30YR: Stevie Brown slipped so low in the draft because he played for Mich, right O?

• Captain Mudslide & the Dingle Berry Posse

TJ Coochmanzadeh would be a nice addition, imo.

• Captain Mudslide & the Dingle Berry Posse

Eugene out….Stevie B in!

• http://atm Raider O

RR,

What would they think about brand new bikes and a great school due to donations from REF?
    lol

Thec: I don’t think the cuts are that hard to make

5 players gone by Tuesday 8/31

another 22 players gone by next Saturday 9/4

• HairyBush

Thec07 Says:
    August 26th, 2010 at 11:09 am
    HairyBush Says:
    August 26th, 2010 at 10:50 am
    Quote:
    Marcus from San Jose writes: Are there are any veteran receivers Oakland could have its eye on?

Bill Williamson: I think Oakland will definitely look at receivers on the waiver wire after the Sept. 4 cut day. The Raiders are young and green at the position. They could use some veteran help. I have a name to keep tabs on: T. J. Houshmandzadeh. There has been some chatter that Seattle could cut him. If so, I think Oakland could pounce on him. His skills are dwindling and he will be 33 soon. But he’s a veteran who could help this unit. Again, he’s not available yet. But if he becomes free, I wouldn’t be surprised if the Raiders pursued

Why not offer a late round pick for him, give up on Chaz already- He’s a lost cause.

++++++++++++++++++

Taking Hous at the exspense of developing or cutting one of our youngnsters is a tough call.
    We are keeping 6, Chaz isnt going anywhere.

Keepers;
    DHB
    Higgs
    CHAZ
    Murphy
    Ford
    ___________
    Battling it out for the last position;
    Watkins Miller Figurs

JLH, and JFORD can hadle the KOR/PR duties.

Hous would take the last spot…
    —————————
    How do you know Chaz isn’t going anywhere? This year as opposed to previous regimes the team isn’t afraid to cut dead weight. In a perfect world Chaz would be healthy for week 1 and have a good season, maybe missing a couple games. Do you believe in your gut that will be the case? I say free up the spot with someone you will get more consistency.As far as developing the youngsters, I’m on board. I don’t think we need more young guys than DHB, Ford, and Murphy IMO

• edward teach

I think it’s great that we have young, developing receivers. At some point though, somebody has to be the reliable set of hands that gets us first downs when we have to have them. That person is not currently on this team, in my opinion.

If Houshmanzadeh is available and wants to come here I think we have to do it, if even for a year. He’s smart, knows how to get open and where the sticks are and has good hands. He also passes the knucklehead test.

• http://atm Raider O

Damn right RR, but I like the kid. It really hurts me to say that, but he is a Raider now. His sad past is behind us now.

CUT EUGENE!!!
    Keep S Brown!!
    Legalize so RR can feel better!

• HairyBush

Raider O, can I grow with you :)

O: can’t we be rich oil tycoons instead?

• JLofty

So what hid Hue Jackson have to say?

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

—————————————
    Wow, J Rich is playing. He had his scope around the same time as Chaz, no?

• 30 year raider

# Thec07 Says:
    August 26th, 2010 at 11:11 am

I just put 3 bets on the line against a niner fan.

1. we are up at halftime.
    2. Asmith is sacked more than JC.
    3. Asmith will be sacked at least 3 times.
    ########################

i want some action on this too!! those are 3 solid bets

• 30 year raider

# JLofty Says:
    August 26th, 2010 at 11:21 am

So what hid Hue Jackson have to say?
    #############################

THAT WERE BUILDING A FREAKIN BULLY HERE!!! YAAAA

• 30 year raider

THE only reason why i brought up the t. branch move is because in order for us to get a QUALITY TYPE WR is we have to give up something pretty decent… Cris johnson and t. howard for a mario manningham type guy… not saying him directly but some vet wideout of value..

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Kell: Richardson has been ruled out

• Thec07

+++++++++++++=

I dont work inside the org, so I dont, just my opinion. I wanted to IR or PUP chaz for now.
    Let him get healthy…If possible

• Thec07

30 year raider Says:
    August 26th, 2010 at 11:21 am
    # Thec07 Says:
    August 26th, 2010 at 11:11 am

I just put 3 bets on the line against a niner fan.

1. we are up at halftime.
    2. Asmith is sacked more than JC.
    3. Asmith will be sacked at least 3 times.
    ########################

i want some action on this too!! those are 3 solid bets

++++++++++++++==

I will let him know…

• http://atm Raider O

HairyBush,

You can grow, and enjoy high wages!

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

sorry, mis-read that.

• HairyBush

Let him get healthy…If possible
    ————————-
    fair enough

• http://atm Raider O

RR,

Oil drilling is expensive, but growing weed is cheap.

• 30 year raider

i wonder how good of hands brett myers has??? can we run some 2 TE sets to offset are lack of wr???

• http://atm Raider O

RR,

How many farmers do you know have a product that sells for a G’s per pound?

REF:
    We stick it to you!!
    Donations to church and school!
    HB can be lead grower.

Make it happen RR!

• http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae336/r8eray/ad/family08016.jpg r8eray

Thec, guess what ??????

You win!!

• http://atm Raider O

RR,

How many farmers do you know have a product that sells for a few G’s per pound?

REF:
    We stick it to you!!
    Donations to church and school!
    HB can be lead grower.

Make it happen RR!

O: maybe Dell will hire us?

every business needs a good accountant & salesman!

and we could STILL stick it to people …

• http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae336/r8eray/ad/family08016.jpg r8eray

Your boy took a sucker bet!

• http://atm Raider O

Please hire us Dell! RR will not post all day, and I will stop smoking.
    LOL

• HairyBush

Raider O Says:
    August 26th, 2010 at 11:34 am
    RR,

How many farmers do you know have a product that sells for a G’s per pound?

REF:
    We stick it to you!!
    Donations to church and school!
    HB can be lead grower.

Make it happen RR!
    —————-
    Sweet! I’m going to have to go back to school and perfect the craft of growing, I learned the hard way that growing weed is easier said than done-takes a lot of TLC!

***

Brandon Myers is a blocking TE. thats why we drafted him

However, Jerry Mac & David White both reported last offseason that his hands are better than expected. pleasant surprise – this offseason I haven’t heard much, been pretty quiet actually for every TE not named Zach Miller

Please hire us Dell!

***

I would fail the math test without a calculator and you would fail the piss test

LOL

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ng4yHw2xk&feature=PlayList&p=E565EF0DE2F587FA&playnext= Raider75

Memorable Image

Campbell working after practice with second-year wideout Louis Murphy — not just working, but demanding that certain routes be run certain ways, then explaining why. Teammates say that Campbell stays behind every day to work on his game.

“It’s important to him to be good,” says coach Tom Cable. “I think he came here thirsting for a fresh start, a chance to start over and make a new name for himself, if you will. I love the fact that he comes out every day and wants to be good and tries to do exactly what he’s coached to do and tries to push the envelope to be what you want him to be.”

You could count on one hand (no hands?) the number of times that Russell stayed behind to work with receivers. Thus far Campbell, who is the son of a coach, has been everything that Russell was not. Which is exactly what the coaches and players wanted.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jim_trotter/08/25/raiders.postcard/index.html?eref=writers&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%253A+rss%252Fsi_jim_trotter+%2528Writer#ixzz0xjfrBTMz

• HairyBush

takes a lot of TLC!
    ————–
    and makes alot of THC hahaha

• http://i985.photobucket.com/albums/ae336/r8eray/ad/family08016.jpg r8eray

Sept. 8th @ 5:30!
    Is the the new time/date!
    Good?

Teammates say that Campbell stays behind every day to work on his game.

***

every day?

why are we just now finding out on the LAST day of camp???

McDonald & Tafur been sleeping or leaving early?

***

good! Maybe this year he won’t run into my boy JLH on his route … or cause a huge momentum shifting INT against SD in Week 1 last year

Murphy + crisp routes – 9 drops = complete receiver

• http://atm Raider O

ROFLMAO RR!

• http://atm Raider O

Later Gents.

• HairyBush

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 26th, 2010 at 11:47 am
    Murphy + crisp routes – 9 drops = complete receiver
    ——————————-
    easy, I haven’t said anything about JLH today :)

easy, I haven’t said anything about JLH today

***

JLH = MVP :)

• Raider Dell

RaiderRockstar Says:
    August 26th, 2010 at 11:39 am
    Please hire us Dell!

***

LOL

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Very funny!! especially the piss test.

• http://www.car.org KoolKell

Meantime, Campbell says it hurts not having all of his receivers healthy. “We have an opportunity to be a real special unit together, but with one guy here and a couple of guys out and a couple of others coming back, sometimes it gets tough to get a comfort level,” he says. “You’ve got to be in practice to build that comfort level. Sometimes they’re not there for various reasons, like injuries. It’s more important to get healthy.”

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/jim_trotter/08/25/raiders.postcard/index.html?eref=writers&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%253A+rss%252Fsi_jim_trotter+%2528Writer#ixzz0xjurFLtr

• Plunketthead

Darren McFadden will play, Cable said.

Play what? tiddelywinks? hopscotch?

• HairyBush

KoolKell Says:
    August 26th, 2010 at 11:52 am
    ——————-
    Wow! if this doesn’t reinforce the fact that we can’t depend on Chaz, I don’t know what does! Put him on IR or cut him, Let’s move on!